Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Was 1-1 when that happened. He definitely should have done better, although he's having to mark both Joelinton and Wilson there with Lindelof pulled out wide and Shaw at the back post so I can see why he's not perfectly stuck to Wilson. Also, as good of a dribbler as ASM is, unacceptable by Lindelof and McTominay to both commit themselves to him and allow him to get a cross off.
Agreed with Lindelof, who was ball watching. Although it was still a bad defending by Maguire. Again, he wouldn't know where those Joelinton and Wilson were behind his back.

FattyFooty

That's what captains does!

That win yesterday was extremely important.

We went down, and he got us back in the game. He showed heart when he's having a rough time. Im one of few that belive in him.

dogwithabone

Not overly tested by a lightweight Newcastle but didn’t really put a foot wrong. Really pleased for him and that was a proper captains display. Would love to have seen that shot go in !

That's what captains does!

That win yesterday was extremely important.

We went down, and he got us back in the game. He showed heart when he's having a rough time. Im one of few that belive in him.
thete are lost of people/ fans that believe in him, but drowned out by the vocal wingers.

Horrendous defending for their goal but after he scored he was a different player. Hopefully it was the boost he needed.

Bwuk

No one mentioned his awful marking that lead to DDG world class save? 2-0 down, that would be a mountain task to crawl back.
Still. He overall had a good game.
What on earth is Fred doing there

Bash92

Very good display from him yesterday apart from one moment i think he did everything else right.

I hope this performance and the goal gives him the necessary confidence booster he needed

keithsingleton

It's about time he scored with his head, let's be honest he's had enough chances. Hopefully this brings him on as we have some tricky matches ahead of us. Today was only Newcastle.

Saddy

He/Ole deserve a lot of credit playing through all the sh1t he's been given and I'm sure he's playing through a tweak at the back of his thigh which could have given him/Ole the excuse to leave him out - there were a couple of times he was showing discomfort.

We've had some right crocks at centre half who head to the treatment room when a slight breeze knocks them over it's good to see.

Leadership is all about setting the right example and coming through setbacks

Mike Smalling

Showed great character yesterday. Thought it was an all-around great performance. Hopefully this will give him some confidence he can build on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A captains header that.

its a shame they adjusted at HT otherwise he could have had another header in the 2nd half also!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He started the counter attack with good header clearance for our 2-1 goal. It wasn’t just the goal, his overall play was also good and influenced to other goal and our result.

RUCK4444

Yeah good performance from him yesterday, shocking some of the stick he’s had through a bad patch.

We need him fit and firing.

Andersons Dietician

People think he had a good performance yesterday? Threat from set pieces aside his defending was once again atrocious. He simply doesn’t have a clue on how to defend or where the danger is and where he needs to be. Got caught out of position a few times or being too far up the field and having to try and scramble back to get in line with the rest of the defence as Newcastle made a B-line for the gaping hole he has left.

Another I hope the goal gets some confidence in to to see if he can actually pull his finger out and remember how to defend.

Trophy Room

Defensively he had some positioning issues that could have led to goals. Against a team like Everton with probably the best aerial threat in the premier league at the moment, we could be caught out.

My only Eric

I lift my head in joy
Our head is up high
Who heads like our very own
Slabby.. Slabby.. Maguire
oh Harry.. oh Harry Maguire

Walters_19_MuFc

Having had a tough few weeks, all eyes were on Maguire to perform well and I felt he responded well yesterday. Good overall performance and superb header to top it off. Did look like he was still having trouble with his hamstring at times. Hopefully not too serious.

Giggsy13

One of Fred or McT should always be starting. They aren’t classic DMs but offer the work ethic and protection our back 4 was sorely missing the first 3 games. I expect Maguire’s performances to substantially improve from here on. The shit he is getting from our own supporters is shameful, so hopefully a few more to shut up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Huge mistake leading to goal :D That’s a good one. The price of trying to win back the ball early is that you fail sometimes. Anyway, the situation was like 15 sec before the unlucky own goal from Shaw.
To win the ball back early should be the price of winning the ball back early. Failing doing that is what cost us a goal. Actually it costs us every time he tries to do it because we concede possession either way by him hoofing it, putting it out for a throw in, or just straight up back away. If he goes for it he'll lose the duel and we're badly exposed.

He was clearly at fault for the goal, you know how I know? Because if Shaw didn't touch that ball and it ended up in the goal, it would have gone straight for a tap in to an open goal and you know who should have been touch tight to that player? You guessed it. Lindelof created the chance by being way off position, losing the duel, failing to block the pass and not run back to defend. He just kinda watched play go on, as he does. Shaw tried to fecking play two positions at once by marking the striker and his own man, which is why he put a foot in late to block the shot when he shouldn't have. He had to, because nobody was behind him. Lindelof is a terrible footballer.

A-man

To win the ball back early should be the price of winning the ball back early. Failing doing that is what cost us a goal. Actually it costs us every time he tries to do it because we concede possession either way by him hoofing it, putting it out for a throw in, or just straight up back away. If he goes for it he'll lose the duel and we're badly exposed.

He was clearly at fault for the goal, you know how I know? Because if Shaw didn't touch that ball and it ended up in the goal, it would have gone straight for a tap in to an open goal and you know who should have been touch tight to that player? You guessed it. Lindelof created the chance by being way off position, losing the duel, failing to block the pass and not run back to defend. He just kinda watched play go on, as he does. Shaw tried to fecking play two positions at once by marking the striker and his own man, which is why he put a foot in late to block the shot when he shouldn't have. He had to, because nobody was behind him. Lindelof is a terrible footballer.
Why only go back 15 seconds before the goal and not go back even further and say it was the situation where they lost the ball at the throw in that created the chance?

What you wrongly believe is “way off position” is exactly the place where a cb is when he is trying to win back the call early. If you don’t like that kind of football, fine, but it was clearly a strategy they had as both CBs did it multiple times this match. He failed to win back the ball, but then 2-3 players play their way through 5 defenders and midfielders and at the end it is an own goal. There is no way Lindelof can run back to the centre of the box. And he shouldn’t need to, there are already 4 United players there who all of them unfortunately were ball watching and forgot about the player running from right wing in to the centre.

If we want out CBs to play a high line and win back the ball early we must accept that fail sometimes. This time there were som many United players back in time it shouldn’t even have been a problem.

kundalini

Nice header for his goal. Defended fairly well most of the time; perhaps should have been closer to Callum Wilson for their big chance in the 2nd half that required a super save from De Gea. Too many passes that took forever to arrive at their destination. I noticed one poor touch but otherwise a decent performance overall, especially given the circumstances.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Why only go back 15 seconds before the goal and not go back even further and say it was the situation where they lost the ball at the throw in that created the chance?

What you wrongly believe is “way off position” is exactly the place where a cb is when he is trying to win back the call early. If you don’t like that kind of football, fine, but it was clearly a strategy they had as both CBs did it multiple times this match. He failed to win back the ball, but then 2-3 players play their way through 5 defenders and midfielders and at the end it is an own goal. There is no way Lindelof can run back to the centre of the box. And he shouldn’t need to, there are already 4 United players there who all of them unfortunately were ball watching and forgot about the player running from right wing in to the centre.

If we want out CBs to play a high line and win back the ball early we must accept that fail sometimes. This time there were som many United players back in time it shouldn’t even have been a problem.
What.. Lindelof fails to win the ball and it's like two, maybe three passes before the ball is in the back of the net? It's not a lot of steps and this was a counter attack directly caused by Lindelof's inability to win the ball against pretty much any attacker. I want us to play this way, it's just that we can not do it with Lindelof. It simply doesn't work with him. He always backs off which means the whole team needs to run back quite a lot to defend. He backs off because if he tries to win the ball then this happens. We don't get to play this way with Lindelof as it will leave our team exposed defensively every time Lindelof loses a physical battle. This extends a tremendous amount of pressure on to our midfielders who have to act as defensive, quick recovery players. We give up a lot of possession in different ways to accompany his weaknesses.

You are completely right that he is supposed to be in that position IF he is going to win the ball, but in such a situation either you win the ball or you make a free kick. Whatever you do, you do not turn your back against your man if you lose control of the ball. He also totally should have ran back on full speed to get back into a CB position during a counter attack. I mean he ran back but he didn't know where he was supposed to run or the extent of how important such a run very well could be, because then he would have reached his man in time. At least make enough contact with the player to stop his forward passing options.

It's not sometimes though with Lindelof. He can't play in a high line because he lacks aggressiveness, pace, strength and aerial dominance. He also doesn't time his headers and misreads the flight of the ball too much for my liking. How you want us to use a defender that doesn't know how to contest for a ball in an aggressive manner, playing a high line next to Maguire.. I just don't know

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
really worth listening for some empathetic perspective

Last edited:

A-man

What.. Lindelof fails to win the ball and it's like two, maybe three passes before the ball is in the back of the net? It's not a lot of steps and this was a counter attack directly caused by Lindelof's inability to win the ball against pretty much any attacker. I want us to play this way, it's just that we can not do it with Lindelof. It simply doesn't work with him. He always backs off which means the whole team needs to run back quite a lot to defend. He backs off because if he tries to win the ball then this happens. We don't get to play this way with Lindelof as it will leave our team exposed defensively every time Lindelof loses a physical battle. This extends a tremendous amount of pressure on to our midfielders who have to act as defensive, quick recovery players. We give up a lot of possession in different ways to accompany his weaknesses.

You are completely right that he is supposed to be in that position IF he is going to win the ball, but in such a situation either you win the ball or you make a free kick. Whatever you do, you do not turn your back against your man if you lose control of the ball. He also totally should have ran back on full speed to get back into a CB position during a counter attack. I mean he ran back but he didn't know where he was supposed to run or the extent of how important such a run very well could be, because then he would have reached his man in time. At least make enough contact with the player to stop his forward passing options.

It's not sometimes though with Lindelof. He can't play in a high line because he lacks aggressiveness, pace, strength and aerial dominance. He also doesn't time his headers and misreads the flight of the ball too much for my liking. How you want us to use a defender that doesn't know how to contest for a ball in an aggressive manner, playing a high line next to Maguire.. I just don't know
I would say that in this case should not be worth taking a free kick for. It should never even be a chance as there were so many players who had time to run home. There were 5-6 United players in the box and 2 Newcastle.

Lindelof’s weakest side imo is to win back the ball early at counters. Mostly because he doesn’t try, but instead try to stall the attacker for the defence to get time to run back and organise. It worked well last season but there are benefits of winning back the ball early. However 90% of situations like the one we discuss, the CB does not win back the ball, instead there is a throw in, free kick or they fail to disarm the player who can make a pass. But this is a big weakness in his game. In this match he went up higher than normal. I would say he deliberately had changed his tactics, probably because Ole wanted him to. Normally he is last man who covers for pretty much everybody, but now also other players immediately covered for him. The miss was that Fred,( I believe it was) came to help Lindelof and then there was a gap in the midfield.
Agree he could have run home better but again, there were plenty of defenders who had the time to run home. Now it was a freak goal and I doubt they would have scored in any other way even if 4 players forgot the player running in from Shaw’s side.

edit: just noticed we are in the wrong thread:rolleyes:

Nicolarra90

Good solid bounce back. But did anyone find the goal celebration weird? He mean mugged it and pretty much nobody ran over to celebrate? :lol: I thought it was bizarre.
No David, we don't celebrate a draw against Newcastle

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
really worth listening for some empathetic perspective

Even Pallister knows Harry was the best candidate for the captain which was the reason why Ole picked him as a captain, there is not much leader at the moment in the current squad. Our players are still young age while the senior before Bruno came were not anything worth as captain above Maguire.

Sylar

Happy for him. Hopefully we see more of that goal as it seems to rare that we score from setpieces especially headers from defenders. Maybe thats not true, but seems that way. There have been times ive thought, Harry got his head to it, he needs to be at least hitting the target from that. Hopefully its a boost and he can get 5+

Status
Not open for further replies.