Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Sorry for the slow reply, read this & wanted to give it the time I felt it deserved.

Thanks for the lesson on xG; I’m from England but grew up watching NHL, NFL & to this day NBA so I’m more than aware of the role stats play in analysis so I get what it does.

You’re correct it measures underlying trends but in the years you highlight when does the xG number correlate to the actual ‘G’? Once. Thus my point of expectancy vs reality. Whilst it can spot trends & tell you whether you’re under/over performing versus the metric it can be misleading if chances simply aren’t converted/conceded.

Is there somewhere on the web I can get the xG for the team pre-Bruno & post-Bruno?

Don’t know who said ‘he should be winning the game against Arsenal’. . .

We agree on the Shaw, AWB, Lindelof points. I actually think Maguire could be the 4th best player in a decent back 4.
xG is a good indicator of the balance of games by grading the quality of chances created and conceded by each side. It cannot legislate for how the players that the goal scoring opportunities fall to, or the goalkeepers that face those shots, perform against the historical average though. That's where the variance generally comes from. In 4 of the 6 season the variance was between 0-4 goals so I don't see anything especially alarming in those basic figures.

You can look at United's individual games from all seasons on the link below. Even before Bruno signed we had the better of most games xG wise. It was something discussed on this forum at length last season. This season we have been 'deserving' losers a lot more often so far.

https://understat.com/team/Manchester_United/2020

Khalif_20

To think we could have just kept Smalling, saved £80m, and got Sancho the following season for another £28m. We'd be lucky to get half our money back if we put him on the market.
Why would anyone spend even £40m on Maguire? He's a thoroughly mediocre CB with glaring weaknesses and not enough intelligence/composure to make up for them.

Perfect fit for Pulis' Stoke team, an overhyped Ryan Shawcross. Such a slow and panicky CB has no place at a top club attempting to press high.

At £30m I'd call him bad investment, £80m now seems like some surreal joke.

fergosaurus

Why would anyone spend even £40m on Maguire? He's a thoroughly mediocre CB with glaring weaknesses and not enough intelligence/composure to make up for them.

Perfect fit for Pulis' Stoke team, an overhyped Ryan Shawcross. Such a slow and panicky CB has no place at a top club attempting to press high.

At £30m I'd call him bad investment, £80m now seems like some surreal joke.
Most expensive defender in the world. :(

No big clubs would be interested if we decided to get rid which says everything, except maybe Inter who love United rejects.

wattsy7

Maguire is our best centre half by a million miles, £80 million was obviously ridiculous & I don’t think he’s really a captain (who in the squad is?) but a few bad games and suddenly he’s a flop, give me a break

AFC NimbleThumb

Maguire is our best centre half by a million miles, £80 million was obviously ridiculous & I don’t think he’s really a captain (who in the squad is?) but a few bad games and suddenly he’s a flop, give me a break
Being better than an oft injured Bailly, Victor ‘the Snowman’ Lindelof, Phil [10 year stalwart] Jones. . . I can’t even be bothered to list the rest; is hardly something to champion him for.

He’s been in questionable form since Project Restart; the nonsense it’s a few games over a short period after he got arrested is the nonsense only blinkered observers spout.

He’s the best of a terrible bunch but far from the best in class, horrendous distribution of transfer funds given we’re now brassic.

If he played for Arsenal & his name were Mustafi we’d be saying they’d been had at £80mil.

manunited1919

Is there a way to bet on a defender making a positional mistake that costs us a goal? Or bookies aren’t as stupid as Ole & company?

littleman

Magdire has piped down a lot. When he first took on the captaincy there was this whole performative masculinity thing going on about leadership and really dumb shit.

Now he’s playing shite, timid as a little baby now.

Kid, speak on the field, keep your slab head mouth shut off it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fantastic today. Back to his top form which is important.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Given how shaky the right side of our defence looked, it was really important for Maguire to have a good game and he did.

EasyE

Colossal. That slab ed was like a back board for any balls that came to that box.

acnumber9

Best defensive performance he’s put in for a long time. Shame he has to infuriate by fecking about with the ball. But still good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
2nd motm after Bruno. Too solid today, I don’t think you can find even one minor mistake. Not sure why the commentator say there was potential foul on Digne (the offside one) when he actually got the ball.

Great today. Reminded me of his performance Everton away last season. Had to head so many balls away and never missed a single one. If you put AWB or Lindelof under some of those crosses he dealt with we concede 3

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I've always given him a lot of stick, but fair play, he was great today.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Beast. His type of game. You throw a truck and my slab head will take care of it.

Saddy

Some outstanding defence today against some quality crosses into the box and should have won a clear penalty - how VAR misses that and even the scouser was giving it !

Red_toad

Excellent performance in the second half. Absolutely vital to getting the win today. Superb in the air and very composed on the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

Dominant performance at the back.

Think DCL is the type of player he likes. That physical battle, which I felt he came out on top.

Solid today.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
2nd motm after Bruno. Too solid today, I don’t think you can find even one minor mistake. Not sure why the commentator say there was potential foul on Digne (the offside one) when he actually got the ball.
I thought so, no minor mistake you can find in that game. 10/10. Completely tame DCL who has been threat against any defenders before even DCL gave trouble to Lindelof for the goal, tough striker to play against since he’s aggressive, can win the air and strong like Duncan Ferguson.

kundalini

Defended really well today. Sitting deep, winning headers, is his type of game. Surprised he didn't score his knee chance after Pickford's blunder.

Bobski

Best game he has played in months, since before the initial lock-down last season. Everton pumping balls into the box and a lack of craft made it his type of game and he excelled.

Ludens the Red

Very good performance but perfect game for him to be honest. Lots of aerial crosses And physical battles, not much running in behind from Everton players. Hopefully gives him some confidence.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
As I've said previously Maguire isn't good enough a first choice central defender that enables you to win the league but he was excellent today.

Status
Not open for further replies.