Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhajdu

He got back after Bruno Fernandes had to try and play CB covering him, which predictably didnt go great with Raphinha running past him with ease and being able to play the ball back. If Maguire isnt stranded up the pitch we dont have our AM trying to cover him and hes the one vs. Raphina and you'd expect him to put up a little bit more resistance. As it is, Maguire was late back and then still leaves Neymar free for the pull back
Now I understand your point of view. You truly think that Maguire played as a centre back at that point. For me it was clear that Maguire was instructed to go higher up the pitch and he even created a chance for Fernandes. He wasn't playing as a centre back and it is a bit unfair to ask him to do everything by his own. Fernandes should be defended better againts Rafinha, I don't even know what he tried to pull of against him.

meamth

No he almost got back. And he would have if he didnt sit down. He almost got back but fell over again when he was almost there.
Saw the goal...I'm one of his biggest supporters, but in that situation you should've watch the only man inside the box which is Neymar.
If he is man watching instead of ball watching, Rafinha might be forced to shoot.

One thing is for sure though, he did get back, but panicked instead of composed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His asshole was stretched on the floor when he committed himself ahead of the half way line and sat himself down. If Maguire is slow to get back in a normal situation, imagine how slow he is after sitting down against PSG's break away. He finally almost got back and then fell over again
You’ve had a mare all night - have a good kip lad

Obiorahking_

Can't even get too upset at him for last goal. Was gassed after spring in 90th minute and Neymar created good separation. He could have done better but its one of those goals that you live with imo

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Again. Our tactic was to force the ball off them, despite being a man down.

Have you ever played a man down? Ever played a man down vs Neymar and Mbappe? Whilst needing a goal within minutes?

If we’re drawing the game, our entire back line is 40 yards deeper.

it’s a clear and obvious tactic to squeeze up high up the pitch. It was the only chance we score an equaloser.

all your screenshot shows is how exposed being down to 10 men we were.
People blaming Maguire for the third goal :houllier:

we have scored countless identical counter attack goals under Ole when the opposition are chasing the game in final Minutes and over committed players forwards. So it also now happened to us.

It’s no-ones fault, as you say, simply an outcome of the status of the game, in this instance us desperately chasing a goal with 10 men.

On the whole I think Harry was fantastic tonight, and badly key

Ekeke

Saw the goal...I'm one of his biggest supporters, but in that situation you should've watch the only man inside the box which is Neymar.
If he is man watching instead of ball watching, Rafinha might be forced to shoot.

One thing is for sure though, he did get back, but panicked instead of composed.
Again, I'm more upset about our usually only solid CB, captain and huge money signing thinking its okay to dive in that far up the pitch. Its what you expect Jones or Bailly to do in a rash moment and get slaughtered on here for, not Harry Maguire. You're right he made a bad call for the pull back but that was more likely to work out with him being able to stop the ball on the line than diving in so far up the pitch and leaving our defense exposed against Neymar and Mbappe of all players

Web of Bissaka

Good game overall.

Other than the comical final goal. But then kudos for trying, he gave it his all today. I won't be harsh today. He's good - did everything right this time. I'm proud. I think that's the first time I seen him get back as quick as that, but yes we know clearly by now his huge weaknesses - no agility, but impressive higher top speed.

ReallyUSA

Didn't think he did bad in the 2nd half, missed the first. A YouTuber said due to Maguire being speed-challenged, that's the reason we had to go McFred. Anyone see any truth in that?

tjb

People can't t determine a bad defensive situation anymore due to simply not liking certain players. In what world where we are chasing the game in the final moments, fully going gung ho, is it hard to comprehend that the goal was simply an effect of fully chasing the game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
People can't t determine a bad defensive situation anymore due to simply not liking certain players. In what world where we are chasing the game in the final moments, fully going gung ho, is it hard to comprehend that the goal was simply an effect of fully chasing the game.
Nah the last goal was due to bad defending. He had all the time in the world when marking Neymar. Then a simple pass took him out, flapping like a fish out of water.

Mcking

He's been very good for a while now. Dominant, making fewer errors, and is making much better use of the ball. Long may it continue.

A-man

Nah the last goal was due to bad defending. He had all the time in the world when marking Neymar. Then a simple pass took him out, flapping like a fish out of water.
That situation would never happen if Fred wasn’t on a red or if we had scored 1 goal on our 200 chances. Now we were chasing with one man down. They had a throw deep down their defensive zone and we pushed all players except Lindelof over there to put pressure. It’s hard to blame a defender in that situation. Could have done better in the final situation but there were many options for them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That situation would never happen if Fred wasn’t on a red or if we had scored 1 goal on our 200 chances. Now we were chasing with one man down. They had a throw deep down their defensive zone and we pushed all players except Lindelof over there to put pressure. It’s hard to blame a defender in that situation. Could have done better in the final situation but there were many options for them.
Agreed. We/Ole did everything right to win the game in the opening 20 minutes of the second half. But Martial didn't do enough, and after Marquinios goal and Fred red card there is not much to analyze.

Pretty sure if it was us who scored the second goal, it would be more likely that we would be celebrating high win over PSG. Because in that case, they would need to go full offensive and we like that.

romufc

And he's blaming Maguire and Lindelof for the second goal tonight while they stepped forward (as they should) yet two others stayed back and kept them onside (barely). Those players should have stepped up and then they are offside yet he blames our two central defenders. Not to mention Telles turning his back on the first goal but doesn't get blasted for taking an eye off Neymar...
The man does not know football, its clear considering they were playing against 2 world class players, the goals they scored were scrappy really, how can you have a go at the defenders when the second goal was the entire team defending the corner? Its got to a point where it seems he thinks only 2 people should defend in a team, that is the CB, the rest of the team shouldnt.

Its a joke.

Again, I'm more upset about our usually only solid CB, captain and huge money signing thinking its okay to dive in that far up the pitch. Its what you expect Jones or Bailly to do in a rash moment and get slaughtered on here for, not Harry Maguire. You're right he made a bad call for the pull back but that was more likely to work out with him being able to stop the ball on the line than diving in so far up the pitch and leaving our defense exposed against Neymar and Mbappe of all players
I would expect a six foot plus player whose good at heading the ball to be going forward in the final minutes in a game we need to score.

Your bias is clearly clouding your judgement, and your posts are showing this. You are scraping the barrel in trying to criticise him. Enough people have called you out.

Ekeke

I would expect a six foot plus player whose good at heading the ball to be going forward in the final minutes in a game we need to score.

Your bias is clearly clouding your judgement, and your posts are showing this. You are scraping the barrel in trying to criticise him. Enough people have called you out.
Complete nonsense. It has nothing to do with going forward, its about committing yourself when there is no need to do it. Upamacano did the same thing against us minus the going to the floor part and was slaughtered for it

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It's ridiculous that he's getting slaughtered in here for last night. He was really, really good. People expecting him to be exposed by Mbappe's pace and it never happened. I was really worried about going with a back 4 instead of a 5, but they were fine.

We were desperate at the end and he'd brought the ball forward really well. Neymar can make anyone look like a dickhead when the game is that open. Should he have dived in? No. Was it understandable and worth a risk to win the ball on half way and set up one last chance? Yes. That certainly didn't cost us the game.

He's been fantastic since that Newcastle game after a torrid start and an awful international break.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His asshole was stretched on the floor when he committed himself ahead of the half way line and sat himself down. If Maguire is slow to get back in a normal situation, imagine how slow he is after sitting down against PSG's break away. He finally almost got back and then fell over again
Wish I'd never read this

NoPace

Has stopped doing insanely ambitious things on the ball and is carrying it more, I think he was probably in bad shape and wasn't able to dribble the ball and he's much better at that than he is on the ball when stationery, unlike a lot of centre backs who prefer to play the ball from that sort of stance than be running and engaging with defenders and having to make a pass on the move.

Gavinb33

Complete nonsense. It has nothing to do with going forward, its about committing yourself when there is no need to do it. Upamacano did the same thing against us minus the going to the floor part and was slaughtered for it
Upamacano got slaughtered because as well as this his team conceded 5 goals.

As for this its one of those things your damned if you and damned if you don't you can bet your axs if he didn't close the line down and Rafinhatucks it in you'd all be on here slating him for not closing the line he was unfortunate that he slipped.

You lot are acting if Michael Ricketts skinned him, it was Neymar the most expensive player ever who could likely do that to any defender and we were chasing the game being down to 10 men.

Maguire had a solid game last night and not to sound like a broken record but by this time the game was lost due to missed chances by our forwards

Lyng

It's ridiculous that he's getting slaughtered in here for last night. He was really, really good. People expecting him to be exposed by Mbappe's pace and it never happened. I was really worried about going with a back 4 instead of a 5, but they were fine.

We were desperate at the end and he'd brought the ball forward really well. Neymar can make anyone look like a dickhead when the game is that open. Should he have dived in? No. Was it understandable and worth a risk to win the ball on half way and set up one last chance? Yes. That certainly didn't cost us the game.

He's been fantastic since that Newcastle game after a torrid start and an awful international break.
Yeah I would agree with this. I have been very critical of him in the past but ever since that newcastle game he has been really solid for us, and blaming last nights disaster on him is madness.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought both our CB's handled their attack very well and I was shitting it with with their pace vs ours at the back

laughable. Other posters have made good replies to your post, so just read those.

MattofManchester

He had a good performance last night, but I still can't help but think he's going to be a massive liability in the future, if we want to be a force in Europe.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He had a good performance last night, but I still can't help but think he's going to be a massive liability in the future, if we want to be a force in Europe.
Why? He was playing against two of the worlds top forwards and a top side so why would he be a concern? Maguire is good enough to play for anybody against anybody.

Ekeke

Upamacano got slaughtered because as well as this his team conceded 5 goals.

As for this its one of those things your damned if you and damned if you don't you can bet your axs if he didn't close the line down and Rafinhatucks it in you'd all be on here slating him for not closing the line he was unfortunate that he slipped.

You lot are acting if Michael Ricketts skinned him, it was Neymar the most expensive player ever who could likely do that to any defender and we were chasing the game being down to 10 men.

Maguire had a solid game last night and not to sound like a broken record but by this time the game was lost due to missed chances by our forwards
We conceded 3 at home, they conceded 5 away against a team that greatly outspends and has a higher profile than them. Its just a double standard

lex talionis

I’d like to Harry improve his mobility, if that’s possible. But for me he’s a nailed on starter amd puts in fine shifts for us.

But no, he’s no Vidic. Then again, I don’t see many CBs today who are.

Machine Elements

Maguire himself is the most expensive defender ever so it's not so outrageous to expect better from him either. But as always, some are trying their best to convince themselves and others to believe that he's great. Problem is though, apart from some United fans, no one thinks he's actually great.

Deery

Dreary
He’s growing into the position a bit now getting better every game, I originally had concerns about him thought he was never going to be good enough but I think he will become a very capable defender for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.