Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

I remember one of the reasons people wanted us to sign him is that he's a real leader and we apparently lacked a leader in the backline

Also when hes had some poorer form, posters have said its fine because he brings leadership

Honestly the only leadership he brings is making the choice to stop our attacking moves after dallying on the ball while he points to other players to move. He is a completely standard CB other than that who absolutely does not organize the defence when we're defending.

passing-wind

Think he had a decent game but in no wise does he represent the value paid for him he's severely below the quality we need to have a solid defence. The best of the lot however.

Tapori

And we're back to chess-extraordinaire Paul Ebdon time-scale passing. Even when chasing.
Better passing in general
Still far too slow at times.

Lenny is back.

lex talionis

Harry was decent enough today, but I wish he would bring a more menacing bite to his game. Put some fear into attackers so they don’t feel free to roam at will.

GenZRed

He should not be our captain. He is a bang average defender.

Fernandes for the captaincy.

arthurka

See I have a theory it’s to do with his attitude after conceding. To be honest, I wasn’t watching the second goal too closely so my first reaction was to blame him for the second goal until i saw that his partner sold him on the replay.
And why do his partners always look awful? He is supposed to be a leader and an organizer but we look calamity every single time we play. This defensive unit with him as a leader is tried and tested and the bottom line is that it's shocking.

Obiorahking_

And why do his partners always look awful? He is supposed to be a leader and an organizer but we look calamity every single time we play. This defensive unit with him as a leader is tried and tested and the bottom line is that it's shocking.
I agree with you that he’s not a leader, but he is not responsible for Baily watching the ball. Baily saw Vardy pulling back and decided to do nothing that is 100% on him. Maybe a top class CB manages to direct our back line in a way that prevents the second goal but those are rare, so everyone has to put in a shift.

Crashoutcassius

I agree with you that he’s not a leader, but he is not responsible for Baily watching the ball. Baily saw Vardy pulling back and decided to do nothing that is 100% on him. Maybe a top class CB manages to direct our back line in a way that prevents the second goal but those are rare, so everyone has to put in a shift.
to be fair his partners have mostly looked awful in their time at the club, lindelof was almost passable last season with harry as partner

Anustart89

Bang average players can be leaders and captains.

Harry's problem in terms of the captaincy is that he's not a leader. A proper captain would've tried to push his players on to get another goal with five minutes plus stoppage time remaining. Instead he's passing it around the back without a care in the world.

When I complained about him going down on his knees after the Brighton equaliser people jumped on me saying "well there was so little time left, can you blame him?". Now, with five minutes plus stoppage time left, the camera zooms in on his face looking like he's sucking a lemon. What's the excuse this time? Do people not expect United's captain to push his players on even if they're all disappointed?

Obiorahking_

to be fair his partners have mostly looked awful in their time at the club, lindelof was almost passable last season with harry as partner
Lindelof has looked decent next to him so far this season. They are both pretty slow and unathletic which will always cause us problems but how many goals from open play do you fault Lindelof for?

Dinghy

Didn't put a foot wrong today, but he's the easy target as he's the captain and got a big head.

Idxomer

There has to be some pointing towards his role in the team's defensive shape, he's not only our senior defender but also the captain and we've been shambles at the back all season.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What exactly he does better than Mings, Dunk, Evans, Bednarek and other 15-20mil defenders? In our penalty box he doesn't even move. He just stands and other defenders move around him and cover him.
For that money he is awful awful buy.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What exactly he does better than Mings, Dunk, Evans, Bedbarek and other 15-20mil defenders? In our penalty box he doesn't even move. He just stands and other defenders move around him and cover him.

And that's not news . We overpaid atleast by 40m. Same applies for AWB as well.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Exactly. Look how much better Brown, Oshea, Evans has been with Rio . He can be a good partner but not exactly a leader who can elevate to the next level. Say, if Rio is playing now, him and Maguire would have been a good partnership.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s good I just think he’s far too passive most of the time and doesn’t have the outward expressiveness to be a captain. See Bruno for a good example of that.

united for life

He’s good I just think he’s far too passive most of the time and doesn’t have the outward expressiveness to be a captain. See Bruno for a good example of that.

true story. He is an overall good player, surly not worth 80 million, but I guess at some point we should just forget that (i promise i’ll try to put it behind me). He is nonetheless too quiet to be a leader (whether a captain or a leader of the back line).

On a couple of occasions recently, he put the goalkeeper under pressure with a silly back pass.

Canagel

What exactly he does better than Mings, Dunk, Evans, Bednarek and other 15-20mil defenders? In our penalty box he doesn't even move. He just stands and other defenders move around him and cover him.
Hes not better than any of them. But we are the mugs that payed 80m for him so we have to face the consequences

Hulme91

He's to blame for every goal we concede
Even if all visual evidence points towards something else he's the first person to be called out
Mad eh

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was absolutely fine.

people in the match day thread were blaming him for the first goal :lol:
How is that hard to understand one thing; for 80 mil you don't buy defender who is fine/decent/ok. In every club in PL you can find 20mil defenders who will do exact job like him. For 80mil you buy a player who is excellent. Who will organise your defence and make your squad better. When you buy striker for 60-70 mil, what do you expect from him? 15 goals per season? No, you expect much more. Same goes for midfielder or any other player. You expect game changer.

Because of his price he is the problem. We can't sell him and we wasted money which could have been invested much better. And that is why he was a waste of money. If we payed 20 mil for him then ok, he would be solid squad player to have because he is solid defender, nobody can deny that.

mu4c_20le

Didn't put a foot wrong today, but he's the easy target as he's the captain and got a big head.
He wasn't the main culprit for the goals, but didn't put a foot wrong is a bit much. His positioning was suspect especially for the second goal. As a leader of both the backline and the team you'd expect a bitmore.

lilcurt

Ok defender, shit captain. Simple as that.

People forget he wasn't even captain of Leicester before he came here.

The £80,000,000 we spent wasn't just for his individual ability, it was also meant to be for his leadership and organisation at the back, an aspect that has been terrible since he arrived. He just isn't a leader and comes across as having a victim mentality. Always bemoaning a missed chance or goal conceded rather rolling his sleeves up and rallying the team. Bruno is the only leader in the squad, following by Fred and Matic in my opinion.

Oranges038

Except when he fell over trying to control the ball, which was the first mistake for their first goal, followed swiftly by Bruno, McTominay, Bailly and De Gea. The second his position is poor, he drops too deep when he should have stayed a yard further out for the cut back.

dutchred

forget the price. He just isnt good enough for a top team. If you think of the center halves we have had over the years. We need a dominant figure. Someone who commands the area since we have a keeper that doesn't do that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In our penalty box he doesn't even move. He just stands and other defenders move around him and cover him.
Because then you can genuinely say stuff like that :)
As usual, the second goal wasn't entirely on him – Bailly was either as much or even more culpable, but still, it's insane that our entire defense can be fooled by a striker taking one step back. We really need a leader and organiser at the back (Maguire will probably massively improve next to one as well).

Red_toad

Bruno was the reason we conceded the first equalise, plus he missed a decent headed chance, so who do we find who doesn’t make mistakes and deserves to Captain a club that has had Valencia, Young etc taking the honoured armband prior. Some people get so offended about an armband that has meant very little for over a decade, get over it.
Harry defended well today, only thing he can be criticised for is dwelling on the ball far far too much.

lex talionis

At some point over the next 3-4 seasons we need to get over the fact we paid 80m for Maguire.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
At some point we need to remove him as captain and decide if we're gonna keep him around as a squad player or cut losses and sell. The sooner we realize he is average the better.

GueRed

he was ok today. Bruno giving the ball away and Bailly and McTom rolling the red carpet for Barnes to shoot were at fault for the first goal.

Maguire is our best centre back

get rid of the crocks and bring in better than what we have.

We'll probably have to wait till summer for that to happen though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At some point over the next 3-4 seasons we need to get over the fact we paid 80m for Maguire.
You'll still have people ludicrously claiming Evans is better.
Probably the same posters who think we shouldn't have sold Welbeck.

Mcking

forget the price. He just isnt good enough for a top team. If you think of the center halves we have had over the years. We need a dominant figure. Someone who commands the area since we have a keeper that doesn't do that.
If you forget the price, then that is when he becomes good enough as far as I'm concerned.

arthurka

Not just today just always. He isn't a leader, the defense looks shit with him as a organizer.

Roboc7

He needs someone alongside him telling him what to do, unfortunately we’re expecting him to be the leader.

He was fine today though, not good enough for a top defender but he isn’t one and doesn’t have ability to ever be one either. He’s a great defender when you can sit deep but the huge flaws in his game mean he’ll always limit how team can play unless he’s surrounded by the right players.

Status
Not open for further replies.