Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

On this occasion I'm not so sure, an empty Anfield, Liverpool's front 3 not firing, there was blood in the water but we were a Dolphin rather than a Shark.
They were dominant, and pressing well. Literally our only counter to this is Fred mctominay, there is no other successful midfield option.

Devil may care

In which case we’ll just have to disagree slightly as I think our quality is much better with Bruno as a trigger albeit I don’t know enough about every other side from purely watching them.

We absolutely could press better than we do though and I think we will next season with improved personnel

:lol:

The things that you have made up yes I will call you out on.

Interestingly the first time we argued over Koop I was strongly in favour and Adnan has since shown a greater appreciation for Koop. Just saying...;)

I think if we had a different midfield with a proper DM then we could explore different CB options but with the squad as it stands they are a great pairing as they compliment the players we have.

Weve rarely if ever been caught in behind with Maguire and Lindelof and I would love a player that is a mix of Bailly and Lindelof but we have a choice of a solid fit Lindelof or a solid but less fit Bailly which is a key issue for me. I want a CB pairing to last most of a season together. I’m a huge fan of Bailly but he can’t stay fit and so it’s like having a Ferrari that keeps breaking down. I’d love to drive it but if I still need to get to work I’ll drive a different car.

The reason we didn’t is because we didn’t have the side to do so.

I completely see where you’re coming from on the take the risk approach and part of me would have loved us to go for it but a bigger part of me realises this game won’t be a title decider it will be maintaining over a longer period 2 points per game. Win against Fulham and we’re back on track.

Yeah out of interest where do you see us needing those extra 3 players (we’ve found common ground here I feel)
I haven't made anything up, we simply disagree mate.

Yes, I know he's not as against the idea of Koopmeiners as he was, personally I love his passing game but have reservations over his speed and mobility.

Personally I don't think they are a good pairing for the players we have, if Bailly could stay fit or Axel could kick on we could play Pogba and be more in control of games, but when we play them together it means we have to play 2 dog soldiers in front of them who are very average passers of the ball and means we have that disconnect in the team. We don't get caught in behind with Maglof because we always have two bod6guards close to them and don't play high enough to let the ball get behind them. Is Lindelof fully fit? His national coach said he's been playing with a back injury for months, Bailly hasn't broken yet so I'd play him until he does.

We could reach the end of the season and lose the league because we didn’t get 2 more points, on the flipside we could lose the league because we didn't get any points at Anfield by being a bit bolder, end of the day I honestly feel we'll be further behind to the point this debate will be moot.

I think we need a CB and a #6 without question, I also feel we need a creative player for the RW/LW as all our options want to shoot rather than assist, I know Diallo is getting a lot of hype but he's very young and we are seeing Mason struggling in the 2nd season which is natural for young players, so I feel we need a more ready addition.

Devil may care

They were dominant, and pressing well. Literally our only counter to this is Fred mctominay, there is no other successful midfield option.
They were dominant because Thiago was pulling the strings as neither of our CM's can keep the ball, we could have done with a ball player in there imo.

Hammondo

They were dominant because Thiago was pulling the strings as neither of our CM's can keep the ball, we could have done with a ball player in there imo.
Yes but due to our defence we need 2 DMs as we don't have a good enough ball players to counter Liverpool.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes but due to our defence we need 2 DMs as we don't have a good enough ball players to counter Liverpool.
Pretty sure if Ole was given a choice against Liverpool to play Fred & McT or Carrick & Fletcher or Keane & Scholes or Carrick & Scholes, he would put Fred & McT in the last of pecking order.

To be fair, I have seen so many times Sir Alex played Keane & Butt or Keane & Fletcher or Carrick & Fletcher in two pair with Scholes as the attacking mid in 4411 formation despite of having Rio Ferdinand, Vidic & Stam in defense.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Imagine keeping a clean sheet away at Anfield with the only shots on goal being routine saves from outside the 18 and having some "supporters" who still complain that Maguire isn't good enough. The agenda on some of you is next level...
I mean he wasn't amazing in that game, he did his job.

I admire that he's reliable in terms of being always able to play and not get injured. However, he's not a good leader and is terrible on the ball. In modern football where you get pressed constantly, his weakness will be exposed time and time again.

I have zero confidence with him when he brings the ball out, and his positioning on the counter is not good enough. Our standards have dropped if we consider him fantastic or amazing as some here are labelling him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I admire that he's reliable in terms of being always able to play and not get injured. However, he's not a good leader and is terrible on the ball. In modern football where you get pressed constantly, his weakness will be exposed time and time again.

I have zero confidence with him when he brings the ball out, and his positioning on the counter is not good enough. Our standards have dropped if we consider him fantastic or amazing as some here are labelling him.
So what makes an "amazing game" for a central defender? Making a last ditch effort to block a shot or always being in the right spot so they don't even try to take the shot? And I didn't realize you were in the dressing room and on the field and knew the ins and outs of his leadership. I also don't know what player you are watching if you don't think he's good on the ball. Seems to me like you have an agenda and are too busy repeating whatever Mark Goldbridge says rather than actually watching him and forming your own opinion...

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Just sign Kante to sit in front of him. Headache sorted then.

Kostov

Terrible on the ball? Not sure how someone can take your post seriously with bullshit like that. Do you expect a CB with Iniesta esque ball skills?

Andersonson

What do you know about him being a good leader or not? This post is beyond stupid. Its fair enough that you dont rate him, but his positoning is second to none.

Very weird post

romufc

On this occasion I'm not so sure, an empty Anfield, Liverpool's front 3 not firing, there was blood in the water but we were a Dolphin rather than a Shark.
All these excuses about Liverpool's front 3 not firing but nothing like that said about our front 3. They have not been firing for a while either..

An empty Anfield beat Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester as well....

Hammondo

More like our DMs aren't good enough and that's why we need 2 of them to do a job that should have been the job of 1 player.
Well it's more to do with covering ground. Our defence needs 2 players protecting them basically all the time, whom are mobile. We concede a lot of goals even with them.

Hammondo

Pretty sure if Ole was given a choice against Liverpool to play Fred & McT or Carrick & Fletcher or Keane & Scholes or Carrick & Scholes, he would put Fred & McT in the last of pecking order.

To be fair, I have seen so many times Sir Alex played Keane & Butt or Keane & Fletcher or Carrick & Fletcher in two pair with Scholes as the attacking mid in 4411 formation despite of having Rio Ferdinand, Vidic & Stam in defense.
Well yea that's just a midfield 3 and the options we used to have.

Whichever midfield he picked he would still sit them In front of the defence protecting them 90 percent of the time. They all can play defensively and combative.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well yea that's just a midfield 3 and the options we used to have.

Whichever midfield he picked he would still sit them In front of the defence protecting them 90 percent of the time. They all can play defensively and combative.
So what’s the difference apart from the available qualities we got between Ole and Sir Alex then? Despite of having Stam or Rio or Vidic, Sir Alex countless times still played 2 midfield that offer more security in defense and better defensively just to left Scholes either on the bench or playing in Bruno‘s role.

Hammondo

So what’s the difference apart from the available qualities we got between Ole and Sir Alex then? Despite of having Stam or Rio or Vidic, Sir Alex countless times still played 2 midfield that offer more security in defense and better defensively just to left Scholes either on the bench or playing in Bruno‘s role.
A few differences. When we played Fletcher and Carrick one gave the other freedom to move forward, which they did a lot more than our midfielders do. They gave total freedom to our forwards (Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani). Also Vidic and Rio became slow as they got older (especially vidic), they needed to be protected also.

romufc

A few differences. When we played Fletcher and Carrick one gave the other freedom to move forward, which they did a lot more than our midfielders do. They gave total freedom to our forwards (Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani). Also Vidic and Rio became slow as they got older (especially vidic), they needed to be protected also.
No, the reason we played them is to make sure we do not get over run in midfield. He used to play a 3 in midfield and drop one of the attackers, in the later part we used to see Giggs in midfield.

Also, Fergie was doing that in big games and away CL games.

Arsenal away 2009 midfield of Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson
Roma away Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mate, did you watch Fred's final pass to Rashford against Liverpool? One of them which Fred was given freedom to move forward too when he made that final pass.

dove

Solid but his heading is just terrible, opposition should not even bother marking him as he will miss the target anyway.

Irwin99

Yet another very good performance bar one or two moments (should have scored with the header)

Ibi Dreams

Not criticising his defending, but it's unreal how many headers he wins at corners without scoring. Genuinely think I've seen him win at least 10 headers at corners this season, probably closer to 15, and he hasn't scored a single one

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Bailly makes a mistake by not covering for Maguire's mistake. It was so clearly both of them at fault.
Maguire has every right to support Shaw in case Shaw presses the free wide man.

It’s not really an error from him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he was ok, but I don't see any real leadership from him at all. Plus, the way he allowed us to get deeper and deeper and deeper during the last 5min or so. Should be absolutely screaming at his back line to push up.

Sylar

I'm gonna be really really shocked when the ball hits his head and actually goes in AND/OR isn't ruled out

Jonno

Thought he was ok, but I don't see any real leadership from him at all. Plus, the way he allowed us to get deeper and deeper and deeper during the last 5min or so. Should be absolutely screaming at his back line to push up.
I could literally hear him screaming and organising for the last 10 minutes, and helped us secure the win. Not sure what game you watched?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bailly’s error was worse but Shaw didn’t really need the cover I don’t think.
I agree he didn't need the cover. But I'm not gonna blame anyone for the goal because shit happens sometimes if you haven't built up a understanding which Bailly and Maguire haven't. But we won the game and instead of micro-analysing moments we should look at the positives in a hard fought game against a plucky Fulham who have picked up some good results against very good teams.

sherrinford

Bailly makes a mistake by not covering for Maguire's mistake. It was so clearly both of them at fault.
Bailly’s error was worse but Shaw didn’t really need the cover.
Maguire doesn't make a mistake. He moves across to support Shaw, pick up the man he has to allow him to move out to the wide man, as the ball travels to Fulham's right centre half. Happens all the time with the odd way we consistently position our left winger (if anything, Maguire occasionally doesn't get over enough/ get over quickly enough). Bailly is free with Wan Bissaka in a set position goal side of the left-sided attacker. As standard, he should also move across the pitch as the ball transitions to the left side of the pitch, but fails to do so.

passing-wind

Still unsure how people have Maguire as a solid defender, he's always got this mistake in either his positioning or awareness on a game by game basis which typically leads to goals. Speed is his problem far too lethargic to get across.

Status
Not open for further replies.