Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superunknown

The transfer fee was one thing, but the captaincy is another. He’s really going to be tough to budge any time soon.

A really, really smart thing for Ole to do would be to shift the captaincy onto Bruno in the near future, and gradually lessen Maguire’s status to gradually allow the replacement (or at least possibility of it). But I don’t think he’s Machiavellian enough to do that.
I'm not suggesting at all that Maguire should be cut out completely or that I desperately want/need him out...and he could still become part of the solution if we partner him up with the right player or if he elevates his game somewhat. Maybe even another play coming in and threatening his place forces him to improve his game, perhaps. That said, in his current state, he is still upgradeable and if that dream Vidic/Ferdinand style CB becomes available, then we need to go for it.

There's an argument there already that Bruno already is the captain, just not wearing the armband. I don't think Ole is confident enough to do that to Maguire, especially when it doesn't look like we've got an obvious centre back replacement on the horizon. We spent big on him and I don't think we'll be in a hurry to spend big again any time soon.

AshRK

Him and Lindelof are disasters. Still think he will do a solid job with a pacey CB.

acnumber9

This is a great example of misdirected anger. He didn't do much wrong for any of the goals - first one he forced DCL wide, and DDG patted a scuffed cross onto Doucoure's toe, second was nobody marking James, and the third he was the only one who actually chased DCL back - Tuanzebe who was actually marking him just left him to run.
He played everyone onside for their third goal.on the second one he needs to be screaming that it’s his ball and go attack it. He didn’t, and Lindelof makes a hash of his clearance because he wasn’t best placed to clear it. It’s not the biggest crime in the world but ultimately that’s what top defenders do. They win you games by being decisive and having big moments to stop the opposition scoring. Maguire is just sometimes not the only one to blame.

mu4c_20le

This is a great example of misdirected anger. He didn't do much wrong for any of the goals - first one he forced DCL wide, and DDG patted a scuffed cross onto Doucoure's toe, second was nobody marking James, and the third he was the only one who actually chased DCL back - Tuanzebe who was actually marking him just left him to run.
Has to be bait :lol: he got left for dead for the first one

The Hilton

He played everyone onside for their third goal.
Well he didn't, as even in the photo in his thread (that doesn't show the free kick being played, so makes me suspect it was after the ball was played) shows that the player who got the knockdown was onside.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good player but his mentality is just not top club. The same goes with Lindelof.

M Bison

Supports
York City
The problem is the defence and he’s the captain of it. He should be the one leading it, he isn’t even coming close.
It’s an easy thing to say but I don’t think we can blame him for DDG parrying the ball out for the first goal in such a weak manner, or I can’t anyway. I take your point though, massively disappointing all round.

starman

He started ahead of him, there is no way he should of not been 1st to that ball.
This is the problem when people live through slow motion replays as opposed to actual real time, he was barely ahead and DCL is statically in the top 6 fastest players in the league.

All this is just diverting from De Gea massive mistake

acnumber9

Well he didn't, as even in the photo in his thread (that doesn't show the free kick being played, so makes me suspect it was after the ball was played) shows that the player who got the knockdown was onside.
Fair point. His positioning is still poor in relation to his defence.

acnumber9

It’s an easy thing to say but I don’t think we can blame him for DDG parrying the ball out for the first goal in such a weak manner, or I can’t anyway. I take your point though, massively disappointing all round.
Well obviously the first goal isn’t his fault. Though it also comes about from a weakness of Maguire and how easy it is for players to run in behind and away from him.

BigBebe

This man is never going to be a top-level defender. He is too slow and he is too passive.

He was supposed to be good on the ball but when he runs forward, he doesn't look like an athlete, he looks like a tug-boat which has come loose from its mooring.

We need 2 new central defenders in the summer.

RooneyLegend

80 million quid on defenders like him and we won't be challanging for the next decade at least. Was Verane serious about a move?

The Hilton

Fair point. His positioning is still poor in relation to his defence.
Don't get me wrong, he's no Maldini, but no defender can do much about their keeper handing out goals. This one is firmly on De Gea in my book.

TsuWave

The Maguire issue is one of the biggest hindrances for this team progressing.

Due to the heavy investment we made him captain to add some type of validity to the move, and again, due to said investment we will not get rid of him anytime soon and he’ll always be present, that presents other issues like having to build a back four around such an unspectacular, but more importantly, slow player.

we will be a better team defensively in 2 or 3 years time when a manager finally has the balls to move him on.

Last edited:

passing-wind

He's a decent defender but not good enough. I'm still astounded at the many who consider him a top centre back. Makes you think they were blind when more recently we had Rio / Vidic.

TsuWave

£80M of the queen’s finest for an “alright” player who isn’t particularly great at anything, and for whom the club is supposed to shell out even more for a partner that will cover his deficiencies. Mon Dieu

acnumber9

Don't get me wrong, he's no Maldini, but no defender can do much about their keeper handing out goals. This one is firmly on De Gea in my book.
The first is clearly De Gea’s fault. The third De Gea holds most of the blame probably. The organisation all round is abysmal though. And that is Maguire’s job. It’s not just about tonight, it’s a recurrent theme. Maguire is just blatantly average. I genuinely don’t think we’d look any different with Tarkowski, Dunk, Keane etc in the team instead of him. He’s ten a penny.

Redlyn

Just not good enough and slow as feck. Decent, but Leicester was about his right level.

Idxomer

80 million quid on defenders like him and we won't be challanging for the next decade at least. Was Verane serious about a move?
We need now to wait for the Maguire era to end to be able to challenge again. His signing was a massive mistake.

People will keep making excuses for him while we concede daft goals every other game.

RooneyLegend

We need now to wait for the Maguire era to end to be able to challenge again. His signing was a massive mistake.

People will keep making excuses for him while we concede daft goals every other game.
He belongs in a Mourinho side.

Ludens the Red

:lol:
He was partly at fault for literally all three goals man.
The first he doesn’t force DcL wide, he gets outpaced and allows the shot to come in.
The second goal he has a clear header behind Lindelof but doesn’t shout for Lindelof to leave it.
The third goal, he’s in no mans land, he should have been man marking Everton’s biggest aerial threat - DCL, he wasn’t. I didn’t see him shouting at people trying to organise them either.

Lewnited

The first is clearly De Gea’s fault. The third De Gea holds most of the blame probably. The organisation all round is abysmal though. And that is Maguire’s job. It’s not just about tonight, it’s a recurrent theme. Maguire is just blatantly average. I genuinely don’t think we’d look any different with Tarkowski, Dunk, Keane etc in the team instead of him. He’s ten a penny.
Perfectly sums it up for me. I feel like if we swapped Maguire for Michael Keane both ours Everton's seasons would be playing out exactly the same.

The Hilton

That's a heavy exaggeration, he's clearly better than any of the defenders you mentioned. He's not in the VVD or Diaz (on current form) tier, but he's in the one below. There is a decent drop between the tiers admittedly.

I'd say the last goal is mostly on Tuanzebe, he was marking DCL and left him, after giving away the free kick stupidly as well.

acnumber9

That's a heavy exaggeration, he's clearly better than any of the defenders you mentioned. He's not in the VVD or Diaz (on current form) tier, but he's in the one below. There is a decent drop between the tiers admittedly.

I'd say the last goal is mostly on Tuanzebe, he was marking DCL and left him, after giving away the free kick stupidly as well.
I’m not sure it is. Impossible to prove anyway but he’s much closer to their level than the best.

The Hilton

The first he doesn’t force DcL wide, he gets outpaced and allows the shot to come in.
The second goal he has a clear header behind Lindelof but doesn’t shout for Lindelof to leave it.
The third goal, he’s in no mans land, he should have been man marking Everton’s biggest aerial threat - DCL, he wasn’t. I didn’t see him shouting at people trying to organise them either.
A laughing smiley, how mature.

By your logic everyone is partly at fault, for losing the ball, allowing the pass, not shouting enough (because you seem to view shouting as more important than the actual defending), missing headers and tackles, etc.

No defender will stop every shot, sometimes you have to make it as difficult as possible - that's why DCL scuffed it, and left a nice simple save that DDG messed up. The second and third were down to poor marking by the players actually marking the goalscorers, Fred and Tuanzebe.

Footyislife

"Let's just leave their tallest player unmarked lads"... That'll sort it
Plan: High Defensive Line
Slabhead Brain: I'm slow, but my genius plan is to cheat ahead a little. Wait did Ole say anything about offside trap? Who cares, I get paid to pass the ball. Defending is for noobs.

criticalanalysis

Decent player and more than decent enough to play for us.

I don't buy the 'he's the captain and he should be dragging us/coaching us to win games' because there's too much to do. You can't pair him with Lindelof with De Gea behind and expect a Vidic-esque performance i.e someone who was able to single handedly raise the bar across the board. However, having said that, he's definitely had his fair share of individual mistakes and issues.

Overall though, whilst tonight was disappointing from him, he's the least of our problems.

Lindelof, De Gea and even Ole all have much bigger issues that need addressing.

kundalini

Maguire played Michael Keane onside when Digne took the free-kick. Then both Maguire and McTominay played Calvert-Lewin onside.

Calvert-Lewin exploited Maguire's lack of pace in the build-up to their first goal. Even then Maguire made no attempt to block the cross, though De Gea at fault for the goal.

Last edited:

OhGee

Has to be bait :lol: he got left for dead for the first one
He had a few yards on CDL and I thought he would just mop it up - next thing I see them on the attack...and no contrary to the original poster’s belief, Maguire did not force CDL out wide, he ran into the space that was available. Everyone can see that Maguire and Lindelof are too slow to defend a high line against pacy attacks yet Ole does it time and time again. As Einstein said only a fool does the same thing twice expecting a different result...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair he might have done.

But then this would imply Lindelöf and Maguire actually communicate with each other during a game of football.

The Hilton

Maguire played Michael Keane onside when Digne took the free-kick. Then both Maguire and McTominay played Calvert-Lewin onside.
Keane was played onside by most of the back line.

You're right about the knockdown, but at that point you need to be following your man.

OhGee

He had a few yards on CDL and I thought he would just mop it up - next thing I see them on the attack...and no contrary to the original poster’s belief, Maguire did not force CDL out wide, he ran into the space that was available. Everyone can see that Maguire and Lindelof are too slow to defend a high line against pacy attacks yet Ole does it time and time again. As Einstein said only a fool does the same thing twice expecting a different result...
Meant to say DCL - bloody autocorrect...

Status
Not open for further replies.