Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

For me the stats sum up the positive part of his performance in this match. He did heaps of good things. He was very active both in terms of defending, passing and building up our attack. He was a giant in the air. He is normally active but thought he was more active than normal. But he also had some poor moments, misplaced passes and mistakes. Also more than normal.

I was surprised how poor ratings he got in the newspapers. He got worst ratings of all defenders and almost worst in the whole team. In general he got 5/10, AWB, DDG and Lindelof 6/10 and Shaw 7/10. I personally don’t agree, but somehow every newspaper seem to have the same view.

Manchester evening news -Rating 4
Slapstick defending throughout, from tackling a teammate to assisting an equaliser. Maguire's captaincy credentials become more and more suspect.

The Sun - Rating 5
Often found himself in the right place at the right time to break down promising Newcastle moves in the first-half.

Drove the ball forward with intent to try and get United going but should have done more to head the ball out of the danger zone for the equaliser.

Daily mail -rating 5.5/10

Sbnation rating 5/10
Headed a dangerous ball back into play for Saint-Maximin to equalize. United continue to struggle defending set pieces, but grew into the second half

Stretty news rating 5/10
Shaky during some moments in first-half and clearing header fell to Saint-Maximin for equaliser. Improved after the break and almost scored.
Because causing a goal undoes most the other good stuff. Your job is to keep clean sheets and limit the opposition from scoring. Same with keeper errors. If you make 12 catches in a game then lid the ball slip under you from a tame effort, you have let the team down and your rating plummets (goal keepers that is)

Foxbatt

I think having DeGea in goal is making him look worse. Him and Lindelof will look better with a commanding keeper who takes off the pressure off the defense.

A-man

Because causing a goal undoes most the other good stuff. Your job is to keep clean sheets and limit the opposition from scoring. Same with keeper errors. If you make 12 catches in a game then lid the ball slip under you from a tame effort, you have let the team down and your rating plummets (goal keepers that is)
Yea that’s how we normally evaluate CBs. It’s a bit strange in some way. A goal conceded has the same value as a goal scored, but no one would say a forward had a poor game if he scored 2 goals but missed a sitter.

passing-wind

I think that it's extremely likely that the next centre half purchase will have a more positive influence in defence than Harry. So long as it's someone who's athletic it will give the team far more assurance in possession.

criticalanalysis

For me the stats sum up the positive part of his performance in this match. He did heaps of good things. He was very active both in terms of defending, passing and building up our attack. He was a giant in the air. He is normally active but thought he was more active than normal. But he also had some poor moments, misplaced passes and mistakes. Also more than normal.

I was surprised how poor ratings he got in the newspapers. He got worst ratings of all defenders and almost worst in the whole team. In general he got 5/10, AWB, DDG and Lindelof 6/10 and Shaw 7/10. I personally don’t agree, but somehow every newspaper seem to have the same view.

Manchester evening news -Rating 4
Slapstick defending throughout, from tackling a teammate to assisting an equaliser. Maguire's captaincy credentials become more and more suspect.

The Sun - Rating 5
Often found himself in the right place at the right time to break down promising Newcastle moves in the first-half.

Drove the ball forward with intent to try and get United going but should have done more to head the ball out of the danger zone for the equaliser.

Daily mail -rating 5.5/10

Sbnation rating 5/10
Headed a dangerous ball back into play for Saint-Maximin to equalize. United continue to struggle defending set pieces, but grew into the second half

Stretty news rating 5/10
Shaky during some moments in first-half and clearing header fell to Saint-Maximin for equaliser. Improved after the break and almost scored.
Agree with everything. This just goes to show how 'neutral' these newspaper ratings are. Absolutely ridiculous 'rating' but then we should never take these as good judgements anyways. You'll get a more wider but fairer range of opinions in the RedCafe.

Take away the £80m price tag and he would be rated an easy 6 or 7. The fact AWB and Lindelof are gettings 7's is a more a case of 'the one, who tries the most (and almost by volume), fails the most' is getting penalised the most.

These one liner summaries are almost as good as Match of the Day highlights i.e it isn't and there's always a story or theme to narrate.

I think with a decent partner to play alongside Maguire could be part of a United team good enough to win the league. But the he's never going to be top level and be good enough in Europe. But for where United are at the moment he'll probably do for the next 2 years. Still very disappointed he was made United captain having just arrived at the club and having done feck all in football beforehand.

The header/flick thing against Newcastle was pathetic.

Stacks

Yea that’s how we normally evaluate CBs. It’s a bit strange in some way. A goal conceded has the same value as a goal scored, but no one would say a forward had a poor game if he scored 2 goals but missed a sitter.
because its different. goals win you games, goals conceded cost you games

A-man

Agree with everything. This just goes to show how 'neutral' these newspaper ratings are. Absolutely ridiculous 'rating' but then we should never take these as good judgements anyways. You'll get a more wider but fairer range of opinions in the RedCafe.

Take away the £80m price tag and he would be rated an easy 6 or 7. The fact AWB and Lindelof are gettings 7's is a more a case of 'the one, who tries the most (and almost by volume), fails the most' is getting penalised the most.

These one liner summaries are almost as good as Match of the Day highlights i.e it isn't and there's always a story or theme to narrate.
I think the his price tag and being the captain make them evaluate him in another way than the rest of the team.
because its different. goals win you games, goals conceded cost you games
Emotionally it is different, but in reality a goal is a goal and the one with most goals wins the game. Forwards also get critique, but it is rare for a CB to not be criticised, needs to rack up perfect game after perfect game. Maguire got most of the critique for his poor clearance, and it was maybe well deserved critique. But look at the comedy defending of that corner.
First I think it is James who is alone covering the corner against 3 opponents. If they wanted to play a short corner we really invited them to it. I think it is was Bruno who woke up very late and ran out to cover but too late. Needs to be more alert and pro active. That is part one. This is not how you defend corners. Then after the clearance, what is the purpose of Martial? He is just watching him shoot. We are horrible at corners, but it is not only down to the four defenders and DDG, defending corners is a team effort. I would say this goal was on the team as whole more than on Harry, and even more on Ole for not having a good structure at defending corners.

Stacks

I think the his price tag and being the captain make them evaluate him in another way than the rest of the team.

Emotionally it is different, but in reality a goal is a goal and the one with most goals wins the game. Forwards also get critique, but it is rare for a CB to not be criticised, needs to rack up perfect game after perfect game. Maguire got most of the critique for his poor clearance, and it was maybe well deserved critique. But look at the comedy defending of that corner.
First I think it is James who is alone covering the corner against 3 opponents. If they wanted to play a short corner we really invited them to it. I think it is was Bruno who woke up very late and ran out to cover but too late. Needs to be more alert and pro active. That is part one. This is not how you defend corners. Then after the clearance, what is the purpose of Martial? He is just watching him shoot. We are horrible at corners, but it is not only down to the four defenders and DDG, defending corners is a team effort. I would say this goal was on the team as whole more than on Harry, and even more on Ole for not having a good structure at defending corners.
Of course. The hardest thing to do in football is score a goal so strikers are afforded the missing of chances as they have to create a goal in spite of multiple defenders and a keeper. They have to aim a shot with enough power or put together a clever move. Its easier to make someone miss than to score yourself in most sports. Defenders usually mainly need to concentrate plus they get support and have the benefit of offside etc.

arthurka

I think with a decent partner to play alongside Maguire could be part of a United team good enough to win the league. But the he's never going to be top level and be good enough in Europe. But for where United are at the moment he'll probably do for the next 2 years. Still very disappointed he was made United captain having just arrived at the club and having done feck all in football beforehand.

The header/flick thing against Newcastle was pathetic.
That comes from a defense that doesn't trust it's keeper. Neither on corners nor coming of his line. This defensive unit is broken and the keeper is the biggest problem. Harry is a very solid defender and would surely be great in a commanding unit. A keeper with authority and a partner who doesn't disappear it crumble under pressure would definitely help him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That comes from a defense that doesn't trust it's keeper. Neither on corners nor coming of his line. This defensive unit is broken and the keeper is the biggest problem. Harry is a very solid defender and would surely be great in a commanding unit. A keeper with authority and a partner who doesn't disappear it crumble under pressure would definitely help him.
can you explain please how DDG caused Harry to head that ball straight to Saint Max?

Doracle

Has Keane actually been any good this season? Our much derided defence has conceded less goals than Everton in more matches. It’s a little concerning for England, even if you agree with Rio, that the next best option is from a team lower down the table, with a worse defence.

A-man

Has Keane actually been any good this season? Our much derided defence has conceded less goals than Everton in more matches. It’s a little concerning for England, even if you agree with Rio, that the next best option is from a team lower down the table, with a worse defence.
In the article, Rio says (regarding our latest conceded goals, Harry’s clearance), that we seem to talk about it every week how the defence concede. But I’m just thinking he is not analysing every detail over and over again of every conceded goal from Everton, in the way he is when it comes to United. Have only seen a handful of Everton games but those included some pretty poor defence imo.

NoPace

Keane seems like a better fit in the middle of the 3, like Lindelof really.

But Stones is definitely outplaying Maguire at the minute. I'd say Maguire is in the mix with Konsa, Mings, Godfrey, Tarkowski.

I don't love any of England's CBs really. There is a case for them to play 3 at the back to throw out Shaw-Keane-Stones for instance which could give them some extra protection pretty well.

Doracle

Yeah, looking at those names, it’s not a strong area for England. I don’t think any of those names are actually performing at Maguire’s level and suspect he’s being judged to a different standard. All out attack looks the way forwards but in doubt that’s Southgate’s style!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
80m on a CB who needs to operate in a back 6 is just depressing.
Come up with a thought of your own rather than repeating Goldbridge's agenda. back 6? Not quite. When we are in possession McTominay and Fred are constantly around their 18 and our two centre halves are well inside half holding a high line. Shaw and AWB were constantly overlapping and getting deep. Don't listen to what Mr Agenda tells you. Think for yourself. Maguire had 2 tackles, 1 clearance and 5 interceptions today and was a key factor in keeping a clean sheet vs Chelsea. Solid 7.5/10 performance today...

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I dont ever remember the burden would so big on a CB of our team to actually create. Feel sorry for Maguire and the fanbase giving him so much stick for every little thing and blaming him even for a result like today. I first thought he's not exactly that vocal and perhaps didn't get the armband deservedly but he's aactually trying to do something, unfortunately when you have so many underperforming attacking players he's trying to do something and than mistakes can come but you know it really he shouldnt be that creative..

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I dont ever remember the burden would so big on a CB of our team to actually create. Feel sorry for Maguire and the fanbase giving him so much stick for every little thing and blaming him even for a result like today. I first thought he's not exactly that vocal and perhaps didn't get the armband deservedly but he's aactually trying to do something, unfortunately when you have so many underperforming attacking players he's trying to do something and than mistakes can come but you know it really he shouldnt be that creative..
Same thing with Fred. These lads are having to step in and become creative (even though it’s not their game) because our attackers are overrated and impotent! Fred misplaces a pass- he’s shit. Maguire misses a header shit. Rashford scores against Sociadad and he’s the second coming of George Best? He wasn’t good today at all today but Maguire and Fred will still get the stick. Lots of our fans are mental and totally reactive.

GoldTrafford99

I think having DeGea in goal is making him look worse. Him and Lindelof will look better with a commanding keeper who takes off the pressure off the defense.

Absolutely.

I can't understand how everyone doesn't see this.

Even Rio and Vidic were ropey in front of De Gea... He's an awful goalkeeper to play in front of. His studs are stuck to his goalline. H

spiriticon

That short goal kick routine is starting to make me squirm hard.

I don't trust Maguire, Lindelof and De Gea enough for them to do that constantly under a hard press

GoldTrafford99

That short goal kick routine is starting to make me squirm hard.

I don't trust Maguire, Lindelof and De Gea enough for them to do that constantly under a hard press

Maguire has proven himself among the best players in the world at playing the ball out from the back... It's Dea Gea who looks awkward to me at this... I genuinely think he's an awful keeper. We'd be much better with a more commanding keeper. I think we'd improve ten-fold from a defensive point of view.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good game by McGyver and Lindelof. Always aware and played smart.

slored1

He's been good since Everton. Still has some weird moments but decent overall.

acnumber9

Slow of mind and slow of foot. Even when we’re drawing late on in games he wants to walk about with the ball. Drives me fecking crazy. And his stupid lofted balls out wide. Favourite Maguire moment was going up for a header at the end of the second half before stopping trying to head it just as it hits him on his stupid head.

Sylar

I was surprised he didnt join in more in the attack with running with the ball like he has done a few times in the past few games and linking up with Shaw on the left.
Could have done more with that but it looks like he was really focused on his battle with Benteke.

Meep

Would rather see Bailly and Lindelof. Everything is so slow with him. And the X touches before lofting the long ball is not a wining move.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Three clean sheets in a row, don't think he is the current issue but it seems to flip-flop between the attack and defence being the issue.

Water Melon

Super slow, takes extra two touches, the worlds most expensive CB transfer. Credit to Leicester where it's due. Tons of money made, not missed at all. Similar to the transfer of Lukaku to Inter.

Status
Not open for further replies.