Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure if I’m being bias but I saw nothing in their penalty claim. It would’ve been soft and all Maguire does it try to put him off as much as possible. There’s no contact apart from what you expect in literally any attempt for the ball.

AshRK

He is so reliable and is actually improving with each game. I feel people just like to troll him thinking that as something fashionable to do but he is a very very good defender who has done a pretty solid job since joining.

Alemar

Stats are still different - City had significantly more possession and made significantly more passes (with higher accuracy too)

always_hoping

Not sure if I’m being bias but I saw nothing in their penalty claim. It would’ve been soft and all Maguire does it try to put him off as much as possible. There’s no contact apart from what you expect in literally any attempt for the ball.
Would be very soft if a penalty was given

For all the talk about Potter, his style of play and how well coached they are that was basically the only opportunity that Brighton had all 2nd half. If the reaction of both Lindelof, Maguire wasn't so slow it would be no opportunity at all

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
AWB is nothing like Steve Bruce. Bruce not getting a cap is a famously well documented national joke with scores of articles written about it, no one is doing that for AWB. It's not a valid point.
Of course no one is doing that on AWB because he's only 23 FFS

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
These alternative views are the same people who were calling him the best right right in England and some even in Europe when he signed.

New flash: A lot of our fans are clueless.
I have the alternative views and I never call him the best right back in either England or Europe. Now I'm questioning your view on every thing here because your impression is always the first quick impression without any evaluation and consideration. I remember you were proven wrong by stats on McT vs Fred few weeks ago.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree with you. I don't know why some people think it's a foul. It is definitely playing big part on Welbeck's missed but that was a soft contact on Welbeck's back and I don't see any contact on Welbeck's feet (which what people were on about) before the ball went pass him.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’m no gonna talk about his lack of pace because this is not an IAAF forum. Let’s talk the footballer.

I have come to the conclusion, he is one of the very best out there right now. I have seen a lot criticism meted at him, from him not scoring headers to being slow.

I’ll bite, he manages to get himself in those heading positions that we should be seeing our forwards( the lacking in that area should be the issue) and ask our forwards why are they useless at their job. Not rely on a defender to come do it for them.
How often does he get beat for pace? when noticeably he is the furthest CB upfield. If our CMs are doing their job he won’t fine himself in those positions leaving gaps behind him. He looks slow doesn’t make him slow. Strikers are built for shape agile turns, if we want a defender to match agility of strikers instead of positionally nullify them. We’d never find one because top defenders are built on awareness.
Lacking leadership? He is one of the stand out defenders in the world.
I’ll stop here because the arguments against him are always ridiculous, just like it was with Rio. There is a reason why he gets scapegoated, deep down we know we already have one of the very best.

At the time I thought his price was steep but now I believe it’s money well spent. Every CB gets a bad moment due to the nature of the role but that does negate how much of an impact the individual has in the general team performance.

Sea-Cow

I was slightly under the influence when watching the match so the details are a little fuzzy, but there was a sliding tackle on Maupay in the box that made me give a loud "Feck yeah Harry!!!" It was great.

Harold_Giles

I’m no gonna talk about his lack of pace because this is not an IAAF forum. Let’s talk the footballer.

I have come to the conclusion, he is one of the very best out there right now. I have seen a lot criticism meted at him, from him not scoring headers to being slow.

I’ll bite, he manages to get himself in those heading positions that we should be seeing our forwards( the lacking in that area should be the issue) and ask our forwards why are they useless at their job. Not rely on a defender to come do it for them.
How often does he get beat for pace? when noticeably he is the furthest CB upfield. If our CMs are doing their job he won’t fine himself in those positions leaving gaps behind him. He looks slow doesn’t make him slow. Strikers are built for shape agile turns, if we want a defender to match agility of strikers instead of positionally nullify them. We’d never find one because top defenders are built on awareness.
Lacking leadership? He is one of the stand out defenders in the world.
I’ll stop here because the arguments against him are always ridiculous, just like it was with Rio. There is a reason why he gets scapegoated, deep down we know we already have one of the very best.

At the time I thought his price was steep but now I believe it’s money well spent. Every CB gets a bad moment due to the nature of the role but that does negate how much of an impact the individual has in the general team performance.
Agreed.

I do think we got the best CB available at the time. Price was excessive, but ultimately I think he'll be worth it.

thepolice123

I'd take that yellow. Resets the card count and he will available for the semis. We have enough to see off the second leg without him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Looked at it tonight. Pleasing to see.

A-man

Sold himself a bit too cheaply at one point but other than that, solid. Wish he was a bit more careful when he saw that the ref was payed by the cards given out, but I can easily point out 5 unpunished occasions that were more yellow than that.

arthurka

He has missed what one game through injury for us? Get this guy as far away from Jones as possible.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's played about an hour more than Dias and De Jong. Not really much in it so don't see the issue.
Keep in mind that Man City already have two games ahead in the league. Maguire is probably likely going to play those two catch up games which potentially an additional of 180 minutes more.

Tottenham 1:3 Man Utd

A-man

Overall a good game but what the hell did he do at the goal? Totally out of position which made it very difficult for Lindelof and AWB who were left 2 vs 3.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Overall a good game but what the hell did he do at the goal? Totally out of position which made it very difficult for Lindelof and AWB who were left 2 vs 3.
He gets draw out to cover for Shaw far too much, just let the cross come in and get your big slabhead on the ball when it comes in

That being said I thought he handled Kane brilliantly today

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Needs to avoid a yellow next week or he gets a two game ban. Wasn't it the same last time we played Burnley?

A-man

He gets draw out to cover for Shaw far too much, just let the cross come in and get your big slabhead on the ball when it comes in

That being said I thought he handled Kane brilliantly today
Yes agree and I don’t k is why he always moves out to the left so much. In this case there was no reason at all and it cost us a goal (even if Lindelof should have managed to clear it)

Also agree about Kane. Both Maguire and Lindelof shut him down very well today.

Jonno

Fairly confident that it was Lindelof that had a routine tap out clearance for the goal, rather than Maguire being at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.