Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I can’t believe the coaches haven’t just told him he isn’t allowed to shoot from corners, just head it back into the 6 yard box and get the likes of Bruno and Cavani to react to the 2nd ball. Can’t remember us ever having a defender anywhere near as wasteful from corners.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One small thing but annoying is when he goes up for a defensive aerial totally unthreatened, he doesn’t head it with accuracy, instead he clears it randomly and often right back to the opponent. He’s so dominant in the air that he should be able to control it better.
This is a weird one. Both in defense and in attack, he does so well to win the ball (positioning, timing, huge leap), but he seems to have no ability to actually hit the ball with power and decent accuracy. It's especially evident in attack — he wins the ball quite often during our corners and free kicks, but it's so rare to see him actually getting a good shot in; he should score tons of goals, but he doesn't :(

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Honestly felt like he was scoring those headers for fun at the WC.
Yeah and also for Leicester. I think he was highest scoring CB when he was at Leicester. Now he misses target all the time

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Honestly felt like he was scoring those headers for fun at the WC.
He seemed to have a purple patch in terms of his heading that summer (while he always does very well to get into positions and win the ball).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be fair Rio also missed his fair share of headers in the opposition box which left you bemused as he was so good at clearing them with such authority and accuracy in our own box.

Granted we were less reliant on him getting goals in the opposition box because we had more goal scoring potential, more so when Vidic came onboard.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

As someone mentioned above, Maguire might aswell play the headers across if the opportunity arises again.

A-man

This is a weird one. Both in defense and in attack, he does so well to win the ball (positioning, timing, huge leap), but he seems to have no ability to actually hit the ball with power and decent accuracy. It's especially evident in attack — he wins the ball quite often during our corners and free kicks, but it's so rare to see him actually getting a good shot in; he should score tons of goals, but he doesn't :(
Yea it is very strange. It’s like he is super good at clearing aerials but not able to direct it at all. Must be something he can improve with training.

OmarUnited4ever

solid performance, very assured with the ball at his feet, and i don't care if he misses headers from our free kicks or corners, i've given up on us scoring from set pieces (except maybe from direct free kicks), we get plenty of set pieces in a game and we hardly do anything with them

Man Utd 6:2 Roma

Devil may care

Given the majestic displays from Pogba, Bruno and Cavani I think Maguire's performance will go under the radar but I thought he was good, stepping in to cut out danger on several occasions while Lindelof looked lost at times.

thats ridiculous. That’s 26 years…

It’s been such an important element he’s brought to the defence. His stability, and ability to be fit. Before Maguire we had no idea from game to game who was going to play in central defence each week.

his consistently should be applauded.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Go on then I’ll say it, he’s been a brilliant signing and I’m glad he’s captain. Really difficult start to the season for the lad but he’s become mr dependable since then. It’s not his fault he cost 80 million.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s been great for a while now after a very shaky start to the season. Visibly showing more leadership on the pitch now also, which is very promising.

If you ignore the price tag, which isn’t his fault, you can’t say he’s been anything but a very good signing. My big annoyance with him was how mistake prone he was passing out from the back, but we’ve not seen that in ages. I think his poor start will cost him a place in team of the year, but his second half to the season has been near faultless. Gotta credit him for his improvement & consistency. It’s nice after all these years of sick note centre backs to finally have one we can rely on week in week out.

lysglimt

Scout
Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I can't be bothered to read through 121 pages to look for it.

Norwegian Tv2 had a quiz with Harry Maguire - and he was asked two questions he did not know the answer to:

What was the original name of Man United (Newton Heath)
Which United-captain retired aged 30 after winning the P.L (Cantona)

The last one was ... bad :)

Irwin99

Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I can't be bothered to read through 121 pages to look for it.

Norwegian Tv2 had a quiz with Harry Maguire - and he was asked two questions he did not know the answer to:

I thought he was a United fan growing up? Oh well! He's had a good season we can forgive him:)

AKDevil

Go on then I’ll say it, he’s been a brilliant signing and I’m glad he’s captain. Really difficult start to the season for the lad but he’s become mr dependable since then. It’s not his fault he cost 80 million.
Totally agree. There will situations he’s cut out and haven’t occurred because of his willingness to go and head a ball or clear the box with his feet. It’s not a thing that translates easily into stats because it’s just what he does but he’s been a very good signing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought he was a United fan growing up? Oh well! He's had a good season we can forgive him:)
He never stated which club was his favourite (to be specifically, probably he was never asked) but I remember in some video interview, he mentioned that he used to play in midfield in youth academy and the player he always look at or admired when he was a kid as midfielder was Gerrard.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Still not sure about HMG, seems to me like a player who is a bit patchy. Playing well at the moment, but worried his lack of pace will continue to be exposed in the very biggest games.

lysglimt

Scout
Still not sure about HMG, seems to me like a player who is a bit patchy. Playing well at the moment, but worried his lack of pace will continue to be exposed in the very biggest games.
Well according to some - United are bottlers so we will never play the biggest games :)

Halftrack

He never stated which club was his favourite (to be specifically, probably he was never asked) but I remember in some video interview, he mentioned that he used to play in midfield in youth academy and the player he always look at or admired when he was a kid as midfielder was Gerrard.
I know a Liverpool fan who played as a keeper, and his biggest idol was Peter Schmeichel.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He’s been great for a while now after a very shaky start to the season. Visibly showing more leadership on the pitch now also, which is very promising.

If you ignore the price tag, which isn’t his fault, you can’t say he’s been anything but a very good signing. My big annoyance with him was how mistake prone he was passing out from the back, but we’ve not seen that in ages. I think his poor start will cost him a place in team of the year, but his second half to the season has been near faultless. Gotta credit him for his improvement & consistency. It’s nice after all these years of sick note centre backs to finally have one we can rely on week in week out.
Was it last summer when he was charged for something during his vacation?

Something that could have affected his form

Classical Mechanic

Jesse Lingard was asked in a quiz a few years back how many titles United had won. His answer was 13. This despite him being at United since he was 12 and playing weekly in a stadium where the fans sing the answer and where there's also a massive banner with the answer on it.

Alan Partridge

Jesse Lingard was asked in a quiz a few years back how many titles United had won. His answer was 13. This despite him being at United since he was 12 and playing weekly in a stadium where the fans sing the answer and where there's also a massive banner with the answer on it.
To be fair that is how many premier league titles we’ve won.

STYLOISRED

Opposite for me. I think not knowing the first one is worse.

MattofManchester

Must be hard to sift through all that info in his ginormous head.

Would be like climbing a mountain of books to find a particular one.

tenpoless

Send him to Greece

A-man

@A-man ranked 1st in passes into the final third. :)
That’s a great achievement! Nice that they have coloured in to the different patterns of passes.
It also illustrates what I was talking about, that his long balls go to the left back or left winger along the line.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That’s a great achievement! Nice that they have coloured in to the different patterns of passes.
It also illustrates what I was talking about, that his long balls go to the left back or left winger along the line.
I never argue with what you illustrated, I only argued that the most important thing in build up play is to make progressive ball in constant basis 90 minutes not to make sideways in most of the time with only one or two moments of quality.

Last edited:
Roma 3:2 Man Utd

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably his worst game in a United shirt. The whole defence was a shambles tonight, maybe Lindelof truly is the glue holding this team together.

Probably his worst game in a United shirt. The whole defence was a shambles tonight, maybe Lindelof truly is the glue holding this team together.
i wouldn’t draw any conclusions from tonight. Especially in the second half when he’s playing with three reserves.

A-man

I never argue with what you illustrated, I only argued that the most important thing in build up play is to make progressive ball in constant basis 90 minutes not to make sideways in most of the time with only one or two moments of quality.
When we talk about long balls, I think Maguire’s to the side and Lindelof’s to the centre serve totally different purposes.
Maguire’s are part of building up the attack, adds variation, open up, and is low risk of losing possession.
Lindelof’s to the centre can give an immediate goal scoring opportunity. Those long balls also make the opponents CBs staying back a little.
He also do “hockey long balls”. The opponent might win the ball but we immediyely apply press. Every kick off, Lindelof hits a long ball to Rashford. We have created one chance this season and got possession maybe twice out of 25 of those long balls but we still do them. I think it is because we establish the game to their area. We know where the ball will come and immediately apply pressure with many players. It looks like a strategy imo.

Sorry for spelling had few cold ones during the game :)

Nick7

I thought he was the only decent one in defence. He had to play most of the game on both sides of the defence because Bailly kept going missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.