Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Its a lot of things we miss. The way hes on the ball, the defence and heading it out obviously, the leadership
But when we are on the ball, he helps organise and drive us forward and putting Shaw on the front foot with passes to the left wing where Shaw would be.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was thinking at what a how clueless Mark Goldbridge is too, he would constantly mug off Maguire for a lack of leadership and belittle his influence just because Bruno was doing more exaggerative things on the pitch. What was evident even before his injury that for all his shortcomings in pace, Maguire brought a calmness to the back line and ensured his line was kept disciplined. Of course we miss that now, but it also doesn't help that Baily is erratic as feck on top.

Jezpeza

I was thinking at what a how clueless Mark Goldbridge is too, he would constantly mug off Maguire for a lack of leadership and belittle his influence just because Bruno was doing more exaggerative things on the pitch. What was evident even before his injury that for all his shortcomings in pace, Maguire brought a calmness to the back line and ensured his line was kept disciplined. Of course we miss that now, but it also doesn't help that Baily is erratic as feck on top.
I know. People knock his pace etc. What does Bailly use his pace for? Getting back in position because hes 40 yards out of it or recovering against his own mistake

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know. People knock his pace etc. What does Bailly use his pace for? Getting back in position because hes 40 yards out of it or recovering against his own mistake
Yeah. I agree. I didn’t appreciate how much we need Maguire until last night. Every ball in the box was horrific for the defence. A strong defender is required.

Get In Scholesy

I will put my hands up and say this man IS our captain. We look a completely different side without him. I know it doesn't help that we have some dross defenders at the club. However, his consistency and stability in the back has been a massive improvement in regards to CBs in the past 6-8 years.

That being said, he is still prone to some errors but our defence and our team is much better with him in the side.

Say what you want about his price (not his fault) and his quality (in comparison to the best CBs or Captains we've had) but he is definitely the stand out in both regards in the last few years. Sure, You can ask questions about him, but his importance on this current side we have should not be questioned at the moment.

Mcking

Interesting to see everyone hailing him as a fantastic defender because we conceded four in a game he didn't play. We have had terrible defensive performances with him in the team, and also acceptable ones without him.

justsomebloke

Yep. So, ideally you'd want a CB who doesn't make mistakes he has to compensate for, but who still could if he has to (or if he has to cover for the mistakes of others). :)

Jezpeza

Yep. So, ideally you'd want a CB who doesn't make mistakes he has to compensate for, but who still could if he has to (or if he has to cover for the mistakes of others). :)
Something like that. Pace in itself isn't an asset. Remember Aaron Lennon? :)

always_hoping

Ole will likely take the same gamble on Maguire as Rodgers took on Evans today hopefully Uniteds gamble pays off better.

A-man

Interesting to see everyone hailing him as a fantastic defender because we conceded four in a game he didn't play. We have had terrible defensive performances with him in the team, and also acceptable ones without him.
It’s the classic cafe, the injured players always jump up some levels. One poor game without him is proof enough, everybody forgetting that our two worst matches this season, Spurs and Roma, were both with him in the team. And maybe our best, beating PSG away, was without him.

Personally I have always valued him and thought he is our most important players after Bruno, so it’s not like I don’t rate him. Just funny to see this effect every time a player gets injured.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
We're laughable without him defensively.

It's alright though I guess as we've got pace

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

That doesn’t look like somebody who is going to be playing in a European final in 8 days

ShinjiNinja26

That doesn’t look like somebody who is going to be playing in a European final in 8 days
Yeah he ain’t playing the final unfortunately. If somehow he does make it on the pitch then he’ll be pumped full of injections and playing half fit, not worth the risk of aggravating it further.

A-man

Did they tell anything more about the injury? Is it torn ligament?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
As good as he is, it can't be that we crash so badly because one player does not play
We really shouldn't, but when his partner is weak and needs babysitting, and his two replacements are trash, behold! Trash-o-rama.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Is there anybody left who still doesn't rate him and thinks he should be sold?

A-man

As good as he is, it can't be that we crash so badly because one player does not play
It doesn’t help that he’s injured but our overall performance is more that top -4 was secured so early and a hectic schedule. When we play badly our injured players become world champions (Harry now) and when we play good without them they become useless (Harry after PSG away). That’s how reactive fan forums work.
Also we seem to blame everything on our defenders. But we shouldn’t need to keep clean sheets to win against Fulham. Southampton scored 3 goals 3 days earlier and our attacking players should also be capable of doing that.

Oranges038

You'd think that, but he is the most expensive defender ever. Now look what happened Liverpool when the best defender ever couldn't play.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Took him getting injured before people realise how good he was.

Laughable that some idiots thought Lindelof was a better defender than Maguire :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gutted for him, fit all season, never missed a minute and then the first chance he gets to play in a European final he gets injured :(

We are definitely going to miss him, the defence is bang average without him.

romufc

Took him getting injured before people realise how good he was.

Laughable that some idiots thought Lindelof was a better defender than Maguire :lol:
Do you not recall some thought Smalling was our best defender and he shouldn't have been sold to Roma?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Another Lindelof defender

we’ve had more poor defensive situations without Maguire than with that’s for sure

golden_blunder

Staff
Do you not recall some thought Smalling was our best defender and he shouldn't have been sold to Roma?
That was possibly true at the time, he was at least better than Lindelof at the time. However from his recent performances this season it looks like he’s either not fit or dropped off completely. Looks like Oles call was right all in all

golden_blunder

Staff

It’s a WWE style trick. He will run out late at the final to his own music and the commentator will shout “my god.. HE’S BACK! .. HE’S BACK!”

Bwuk

We miss him so much. He may have his flaws but he's miles ahead of the rest of the CB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.