Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
League one? Hyperbolic nonsense at its typical best, mate :p

My memories are hazy on this, but I'm sure I recall Harry Maguire being one of the most creative central defenders in the PL last season - if not the most creative, involved in something like 15 goals all told?

Either way, suggesting he isn't an excellent ball-playing CB is a mistruth. He's been nowhere near his best this season, that is an absolute given, but let's not rewrite history to push an agenda, eh?
Sorry. I just can't see Maguire being classed as a good ball playing CB. I agree before he joined us his England form could of convinced the fans that was just what he was but as the opposition normally played deep Maquire given time on the ball can play a decent pass or run the ball into space as I've already mentioned.

It's when he's pressured on the ball everything changes as De Gea can testify on many occasions since Maguire has been with us with his back passes. His close control is at best dubious when closed down and his running with the ball out of defence is like watching ground hog day. Run until he reaches the halfway line, stop, look around for 5 seconds then hit a 2 yard pass all the while pointing at things only he knows what.

I don't have any agenda against Maguire. I very rarely criticize him but he's just not the sort of player I'd be comfortable in keeping if we're serious about getting back to winning ways although I'd have no problem keeping him for another season just to confirm suspicions many supporters seem to have about him.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You could argue that this happens because the options/movements ahead of him are often disorganized/random/non-existent. Which is the sign of a team that isn't well drilled (at all). Maguire obviously isn't good enough individually to transcend a dysfunctional setup.

Then again, you could certainly also argue that Maguire's decision making isn't good enough - he shouldn't rush out the way he does (with or without the ball) in certain situations; he's better off staying back, being more patient, etc.
With Maguire I'm certainly missing something. Before he was signed many people including pundits/ journos kept mentioning how good he was at bringing the ball out of defence which was the primary reason we signed him in the first place. Playing for England I did catch glimpses of this and even at Leicester but not to the extent of making him the most expensive CB in history which obviously wasn't his fault. Its not as if he's prolific in anything except maybe in defensive headers but when watching other defenders like VVD or Dias put under pressure it's night and day their reactions with Maguire. It's not even Maguire is indecisive but more a case of him having a panic attack too many times during a game to be ever fully comfortable with him as our primary CB.

Given time and space he's more than competent, as any professional footballer should be. Under pressure is a completely different ball game.

Red For Ever

Just saw this on a Twitter comment
Made me smile

Maguire:. I've dreams of playing in the UCL next season like Arsenal
Reporter: Did arsenal qualify for the UCL?
Maguire: No. They dream as well

Revaulx

You could argue that this happens because the options/movements ahead of him are often disorganized/random/non-existent. Which is the sign of a team that isn't well drilled (at all). Maguire obviously isn't good enough individually to transcend a dysfunctional setup.

Then again, you could certainly also argue that Maguire's decision making isn't good enough - he shouldn't rush out the way he does (with or without the ball) in certain situations; he's better off staying back, being more patient, etc.
Well the former should certainly be fixed in the more directive system that we’re expecting to see under ETH. I’m hoping that players’ (not just Maguire’s) awful decision making should improve as well, if only because the increased levels of instruction will render much of it unnecessary.

Of course the acid test will be whether the players are capable of or willing to follow the instructions. Maguire doesn’t exactly come across as particularly reflective or self-critical, but maybe that’s just a front.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can someone help me?

apparently Maguire can’t play in a high line.

didnt maguire play in a higher line when Henderson was goalkeeper? Didn’t we play well as part of a team than the lower defensive line of this season?

try not to reply with bias against maguire please

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yes we seemed to play much better defensively. People couldn't wait for DDG to come back in however so it wasn't long before we reverted back. I hope ETH gives it a try.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can someone help me?

apparently Maguire can’t play in a high line.

didnt maguire play in a higher line when Henderson was goalkeeper? Didn’t we play well as part of a team than the lower defensive line of this season?

try not to reply with bias against maguire please
“Higher” doesn’t equal “high”. And no, we didn’t play with a high line with Henderson.

Slysi17

There isn't a very capable defender in Maguire. He's simply shit. This does not invalidate your general point that the midfielders expose the defenders way too much. That point of yours is also true and two things can be true at the same time. Just look at Maguire whenever De Gea rolls the ball to him. Maguire does not know how to take care of the ball or beat a press. Maguire turns slower than the Titanic. You need to rewatch Tieleman's goal at Leicester to get a complete picture. Leicester players kept waiting for when Maguire is in possession and they press him hard and he lost the ball each time they did that to him.

Another point that gets ignored a lot is that Maguire gets a lot of stick because of his price tag. He also doesn't help himself by getting his family members to post his stats on social media or cupping his ears after scoring for England. The fans don't forget this level of insolence. He's by far the worst signing in the history of the club if you factor in the amount of money spent by Ole to bring him in. Maguire makes Smalling and Johnny Evans look like Maldini. If United really want to compete with the big clubs next season, Maguire has to go. The club should cut their losses and sell him to any of the newly promoted clubs. United can do better than a defender who lacks any sort of athleticism, pace, agility and a football brain.

Get rid!!!
Don't forget the arrogant interview either when he basically said the coaches pick me so I must be good.

TOKUGAWA-X

Harry once proved he is our best CB, hopefully Ten Hag provide him at last with a decent midfield.

Anustart89

Harry once proved he is our best CB, hopefully Ten Hag provide him at last with a decent midfield.
Yeah, I reckon EtH's going to love to have defenders that just let players waltz across them and score goals.

I mean, even when he's had an otherwise good game he has obvious physical deficiencies (in this case his mobility on the turn) that'll lead to goals against us.

Irwin99

Hope he can recover his confidence over the summer; also maybe remove the captaincy just to take the pressure off.

Hoping ten Hag can help him a lot.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have seen a few lowlights reels and it's a season to forget for the big man to say the absolute minimum.
It's like that mad first month he had last season, but at least he had the excuse of being half fit, and having had the whole "batter some twat abroad" case looming over him all summer.

Having a good run in a tournament surely can't last as an excuse all season.
However, like with a lot of our players, final judgement reserved until we have a proper top level manager, rather than a past it ex great, a lovely ex player well off the level, or a guy who hasn't managed for about 15 years.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If he'd cost the same as Lindelof, woudl there be any argument who is better?

I'm with the posters saying he get's another season. There's a quality player there, and hopefully ETH takes the captaincy from him so he can just focus on doing his job defending.

Look at the comedy gold that is City's defenders when they're left exposed. No one looks good in that situation. We have - honestly - the worst central midfield in the premier league. It is unpredictable, unreliable and hugely inconsistent. Any back 4 would look crap behind it. Then combine that with a sh*t show from our full backs - again Dalot/Telles is probably the worst pairing int he league - and what do we expect?

Lyng

Ten Hag is going to like Maguire and it’s going to annoy a lot of people.
If he gets Maguire to play well it will not annoy anyone.
I don't think Maguire has the skillset for a Ten Hag system but I would love to be wrong.

Kag

If he gets Maguire to play well it will not annoy anyone.
I don't think Maguire has the skillset for a Ten Hag system but I would love to be wrong.
It will some. Minds are made up. Not that his detractors aren’t without merit, but it’s also fair to say that Maguire is a significantly better defender than the one we’ve seen this season.

Red Royal

As bad as he has been this season , I think we are going to play him a lot next year; as we have higher priorities to fix 1st.
A solid midfield in front of him alongside Varane (or another new CB) and some functional fullbacks will hopefully bring him back to his best form.

Trophy Room

Whilst this may or may not apply to Harry Maguire, players can really step under the right manager, and with some confidence.

hp88

We don't know much about ETH but I reckon he won't hang onto anyone who's a liability, that's not targeted at Maguire but a lot of these players who fall into this category.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The big argument against Harry Maguire prior to this season was that he was a poor header and scoring threat. As a defender he was for the most part, very reliable.

The 2021/2022 version of Harry Maguire is an actual imposter, and I wonder if anyone has any leads on the kidnapper, and who is playing in a Harry Maguire skinsuit?

Morpheus 7

Based on this season he's going to hate him ha. How many individual errors led to goals because of H, distribution shocking, playing out from the back, speed ect.. shopping list of errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.