Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

The issue he's having is that unlike prior seasons at the club where we setup in a deeper compact block, he's now being deployed in a setup which looks to play with more risk, hence the back line is leaving space for the opposition to run into and Maguire isn't best suited to playing in such a way without adequate protection.
Trying to play a high line with someone as slow as him never made sense. If you are truly rebuilding and ready to take the teething pains then surely you go for a couple of young, skillful and fast CBs and let them develop instead of bringing in a player at the peak of his physical prime with known weaknesses that is anathema to such a system. Making him captain was even worse as he achieved the grand total of feck all in the game before coming in.

And yet this is supposedly the proof of how well we are overhauling the squad. You just have to laugh, otherwise you’d cry.

SAFMUTD

One of the overpaid players we'll be left out by Ole, after he leave us in a "much better" place.

Kaos

I'd be tempted to strip him of the captaincy since I don't think he's good enough to start every game nevermind be captain, but I wouldn't know who to give it to? Bruno? Rashford? Ronaldo? Ugh.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Trying to play a high line with someone as slow as him never made sense. If you are truly rebuilding and ready to take the teething pains then surely you go for a couple of young, skillful and fast CBs and let them develop instead of bringing in a player at the peak of his physical prime with known weaknesses that is anathema to such a system. Making him captain was even worse as he achieved the grand total of feck all in the game before coming in.

And yet this is supposedly the proof of how well we are overhauling the squad. You just have to laugh, otherwise you’d cry.
I said this when we signed both Maguire and AWB. I took a lot of flak at the time but I was right. I honestly would try Bailly and Varane but that won't happen under the current Manager.

We have potential solutions already at the club for both defense and midfield IMO, but I can't see the current Manager going for the alternative options.

LoneStar

If he has any strong morals, he should resign from the captaincy. Embarassing for a captain, let alone for Manchester United.

He doesn't have a history of winning, he doesn't set the standards for the team (hell, he has been our worst performer this season) and he certainly doesn't inspire confidence. Baffling why he's the captain.

AFC NimbleThumb

I said this when we signed both Maguire and AWB. I took a lot of flak at the time but I was right. I honestly would try Bailly and Varane but that won't happen under the current Manager.

We have potential solutions already at the club for both defense and midfield IMO, but I can't see the current Manager going for the alternative options.
I agree, the notion we need to buy our way to better performances is so misplaced. Could we improve with additions? Yes but we aren’t this bad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The issue he's having is that unlike prior seasons at the club where we setup in a deeper compact block, he's now being deployed in a setup which looks to play with more risk, hence the back line is leaving space for the opposition to run into and Maguire isn't best suited to playing in such a way without adequate protection.

Agree with you and, again, this is on the coach.

If you have players like Maguire don't try and play a high line and press from the front.

It's not rocket science.

Ole had us as a pretty slick counter attacking team. Why change the approach?

It's like he signed Ronaldo and got giddy. He keeps saying ridiculous stuff about how a Man Utd team should play. Instead of focussing on how this Man Utd team can play.

His decision to move away from what got him the job will be why he loses it.

The Oracle

If proof was ever needed that we get absolutely ripped off when it comes to transfer fee's.

At one end of the pitch we had an £80m player with the turning circle of a train.

At the other end of the pitch they had a £75m player with the prestige of a Rolls Royce.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree, the notion we need to buy our way to better performances is so misplaced. Could we improve with additions? Yes but we aren’t this bad.
This is what frustrates me. We have alternative options which are not even being considered, no matter how bad the selected players perform. The next Manager in will be heralded a genius for doing the most obvious and making better use of the players already at the club's disposal.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So Ole went ahead and bought a centre back who as it turns out, can't play in a setup that the club wants to play. He even made him captain. The levels of incompetency is staggering.

Baneofthegame

He’s been dreadful since coming back from injury IMO, maybe he’s still playing with an injury.

lex talionis

Until is Varane is fit, Maguire should be dropped for Bailly. Harry is clearly not fit, but if he is fit he should be dropped on account of horrifying form. The only way forward is to hold players accountable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So Ole went ahead and bought a centre back who as it turns out, can't play in a setup that the club wants to play. He even made him captain. The levels of incompetency is staggering.
'In a set up he (Ole) wants to play'

The club backed him but he's not a player who is comfortable at defending space in 1v1 scenarios. And to make it worse, we don't even apply high pressure effectively which makes the situation even worse. I can see things improving under a different Manager because I'm gonna presume that we'll be much better off the ball.

But what surprised me even more was that Solskjaer didn't revert to his usual low block counter attacking style which suits Maguire and the backline, two mids and keeper.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
'In a set up he (Ole) wants to play'

The club backed him but he's not a player who is comfortable at defending space in 1v1 scenarios. And to make it worse, we don't even apply high pressure effectively which makes the situation even worse. I can see things improving under a different Manager because I'm gonna presume that we'll be much better off the ball.

But what surprised me even more was that Solskjaer didn't revert to his usual low block counter attacking style which suits Maguire and the backline, two mids and keeper.
Something about "taking the game to the opposition" and the "United way"

RedDevil@84

Yet another English player who was over hyped and we like idiots paid 80M for him.

Sea-Cow

On a day full of incredible moments, I think the second goal takes the cake. What the feck was he doing there?

Its just so embarrassing from both of them. Infuriating.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our captain.

He's been so bad to start the season. Probably the worst start a player has had for us in a while.

He's sabotaging the team at this point with his performances.

Honestly, it was a joke that he came in and was instilled captain right away.

RC89

I have a theory in my head and I might be way off but here goes...

When he first signed he was the £80m defender looking to show he's worth every penny and would get himself dragged into positions he had no business being in, to try and show he can win everything and is a monster CB. He'd also go for stupid runs with the ball into no man's land for the same reason. As a result he'd look far worse than he ordinarily would.

Last season, he was no longer feeling the need to try so hard and it showed in his performances, more measured and less erratic.

This season, we sign Varane... A threat to his position as the Alpha of the pathetic pack. He goes back to overcompensating and he looks absolute shit again. Basically, he wants to show us how big his balls are.

Or not.

RC89

Decent at best, maybe good in a system with a back three (like England) but this season has been diabolical from him so far.
Merson was absolutely spot on in his assessment of him.

SER19

Dust has settled a bit, and without hyperbole that was among the worst ever individual performances I've seen at United.

Robbie Boy

He's made me realise this season why I was dead set agsinst signing him.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Dust has settled a bit, and without hyperbole that was among the worst ever individual performances I've seen at United.
Anyone who says it isn't is lying - although I personally maintain that he was worse against Leicester.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Him Shaw and Lindelof were all terrible, nonexistent, but with Maguire and Shaw we have seen how great players they can be, so the problem lies elsewhere. Obviously once we get a new manager who will actually try to asses the problem of defending as a unit, pressing etc. We will be a much better team and such howlers won't be happening..

snk123

Atalanta and Leicester were equally bad - they just weren't clinical enough.

Seij

Would like to see him play under a different manager and coaching staff before calling him a bad signing, although I can't argue against that we overpaid for him.

He has looked better for both Leicester and England and it feels like he's slowly regressed since signing for us, which seems to be a common theme for our signings.

redshaw

I have a theory in my head and I might be way off but here goes...

When he first signed he was the £80m defender looking to show he's worth every penny and would get himself dragged into positions he had no business being in, to try and show he can win everything and is a monster CB. He'd also go for stupid runs with the ball into no man's land for the same reason. As a result he'd look far worse than he ordinarily would.

Last season, he was no longer feeling the need to try so hard and it showed in his performances, more measured and less erratic.

This season, we sign Varane... A threat to his position as the Alpha of the pathetic pack. He goes back to overcompensating and he looks absolute shit again. Basically, he wants to show us how big his balls are.

Or not.
I recall the same thing last season to Spurs, Istanbul, Roma. There's plenty of others where he was caught out and exposed or very lucky to get away with a foul but can't remember the specific games. All fit and sitting deep he's generally ok.

I think it's more he's slow anyway and is completely not ready to play from the injury which makes a flawed player turn into a utter disaster, secondly probably not recovered from the summer plus as a team trying to play higher up.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I just think he doesn't have it in him to deal with the pressure of being United's captain. His standards himself aren't good enough.to warrant it.

Loon

:lol:
He's seems to have caught the Rojo and Bailly habit of always having a mistake in him.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Would like to see him play under a different manager and coaching staff before calling him a bad signing, although I can't argue against that we overpaid for him.

He has looked better for both Leicester and England and it feels like he's slowly regressed since signing for us, which seems to be a common theme for our signings.
He's been doing similar mistakes at Leicester aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.