Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He certainly likes to step up and meet his opponent higher, but he likes to step up from a deeper line. Starting out in a higher line is a very different matter.

As for the main reason of why he gets done so often — it's all of those things. If you have at least one of them (good positioning or recovery pace & agility), you can compensate for the lack of another — like Bobby Moore did for the lack of speed for example (it's a blasphemous example but stylistically Harry at his best tries to do same things that young Moore did — he also loved to step up and cut the attack preemptively even if he needed to go as far forward as central midfield) or someone like, I don't know, Jones, who could've made up after making a positional mistake.
I feel his line start has receded the more time he's spent here - when he first came, he was all about getting out there and meeting his man and proactive in using his size smother as best he could, as quickly as he could. Obviously if he wins the ball, nobody says a word about his lack of pace or recovery on the half-turn and I don't think slow defenders are an issue in high lines if they're intuitive enough to pre-empt the play, and I've generally felt Maguire's not got that awareness about him, like things that should be picked up at source evade him and because of that, fairly benign situations at source massively cascade on his side of the pitch because he's then not only got on overload, but is also out of position.

He's too hesitant, and you're as slow as he is, every pause or misstep you can't cover yourself is extremely hazardous.

I'm re-wording some of what you've said, roundabouts, come to think of it! Maguire's lost his abandon since getting here instead of honing what he was into a finer precision instrument, but coaching has a big part to play in that - I'd bet his trajectory would have been different to what it's turned out to be. Overplayed with no guidance or insights into how to improve what he came to the club as or off the back of.

Andersons Dietician

First half he looked like maybe he was getting back some form. He was still making mistakes like he always does but he had that bit of luck he had previous seasons to correct his errors or just get away with them. Then 2nd half it was like he mentally collapsed. He just doesn’t seem to have the decision making you want from your captain or a top class CB.

Hopefully Varane is back soon.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Well deserved Harry. Nothing about this screams lack of critifal self reflection.

Edit: Upon googling this appears to be a picture of Harry Maguire going out for a meal at a restaurant, not a party.

Last edited:

Keefy18

He should have some common sense. He was a big reason why we lost getting sent off its a pretty bad look to then go out posing for pictures smiling hours later. He's the fecking captain he should set the example, we have another game in 2 days that we cannot lose. If Pogba did this the shit he would get would be unreal. Rashford gets shit for trying to feed hungry kids in his spare time.
Yawn.

Could well argue he is being decent with the fans. He went outside and someone asked for a photo and he was gracious enough to oblige.

Just because Pogba would get $hit for it doesn't mean Harry should, I think the point is... Pogba shouldn't get $hit for this either.

Keefy18

Not a Maguire fan but it was his dad's birthday. These LUHG accounts should be banned.
These accounts are the absolute scum of twitter and that's really saying something.

Wasn't long ago this w@nker was mocking Max Taylor for overcoming cancer and returning to play for United youth teams.

AshRK

These accounts are the absolute scum of twitter and that's really saying something.

Wasn't long ago this w@nker was mocking Max Taylor for overcoming cancer and returning to play for United youth teams.
They are not United fans, just jose fan boys hiding behind those accounts.

Ronaldo's Love Child

He is not captain material.

When matches were played in empty stadiums during the pandemic it was audibly obvious that Maguire is not a leader. He doesn't motivate his team mates. He didn't even marshall his fellow defenders. His silence was deafening.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The way he threw the armband down really didn't sit well with me at all, complete lack of respect for his position and the importance of a captain. Setting a terrible example for the rest of the team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Doesn’t matter what he does after a game.

I think we are stuck with him for awhile though, which is highly unfortunate

Andersons Dietician

The way he threw the armband down really didn't sit well with me at all, complete lack of respect for his position and the importance of a captain. Setting a terrible example for the rest of the team.
I don’t think that happened, he certainly threw the armband but it was to someone and he tried to get off the pitch as quick as possible. Maybe should have handed it to someone but feel like this is getting blown out of proportion.

Mike Smalling

Might be my least favorite starting player in a long, long time. Quality and attitude stinks.

djbmc

Big Arlene is an absolute dumpling. Think of him next to Vidic, Rio, Stam & guys of that calibre. Not fit to wear the jersey and sums up where we are.

MattofManchester

His absolute calamities are part of the reason his manager's been sacked.
He's been more of a destabilizing force than a stabilizing one this entire season.

Nevermind the fact he had that celebration against Albania but does the same cock ups in the subsequent game that he did previously.
As if he doesn't understand that his performances have been tragic.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's a big part of why Ole's gone. We've talked a lot about Ole having the likes of Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno and Rashford keeping Ole in the job with their individual qualities but this guy here, with his performances and countless numbers of mistakes has cost Ole his job. Fitting, because Ole clearly misjudged Maguire's quality, enough to make him captain and nailed on starter game after game.

I rolled my eyes when I saw his social media post talking about Ole's dismissal.

Cloud7

Doesn’t matter what he does after a game.

I think we are stuck with him for awhile though, which is highly unfortunate
Newcastle could be our way out. Said this before but they might consider England’s starting CB as a good statement signing and get him in.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole trusted him and that's how he behaved. Throwing his armband after shitting his own pants and bigging himself up with England NT. This guy is a decent CB. If he is a captain and he just goes about his games, regardless if in those games he's mediocre I'd be fine with it. But he acts like he's prime Nesta (with more arrogance) so it's really hard to like him. Not a captain material for that type of behavior alone.

romufc

I was wrong about Maguire, he not only exudes the aura of Beckenbauer, but he also has the ability on the ball to match :drool:

The first page of the thread has some real gems:

Also don't talk about his blunder or clip it (which aren't really blunders when they happen every game). If you do that you'll be labeled a toxic fake fan and as having an agenda by top reds such as @romufc @Regulus Arcturus Black
Also lets not praise players that @VanDeBank doesn't like cause we will be blamed as top reds, or say something that does not agree with his opinion.

That is exactly how a fan should be.. follow his opinions.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pretty sure when we signed him the main expectation was that he'd add a calming presence and able to play from the back. After enduring Phil Jones and Chris Smalling brainfarts that was a very logical step. But after years of seeing him play, I begin to wonder where is this composure on the ball and ball playing ability from the back that people used to talk about? most of his mistakes were his own doing, it's not like he was facing Messi and Mbappe week in week out. He is no less brain-farty than Phil Jones and the only ball playing he seems to do is passing the ball sideways then back to De Gea, then sideways until he confuses both himself and his teammates leading to a mistake. Call me crazy but over the course of his ManUnited career so far, I see him not much of an improvement over Smalling (not the current Smalling but ex ManUnited Smalling). You see Varane first game against Wolverhampton where he had players running at him, he remained calm. First game. In the first league. Maguire on the other hand, seems to make a mistake too frequently despite being in PL for ages now. The quality and class is just not there. We got done by Leicester.

Red_Manc_M15

99% of the goals we concede are due to this lump of shite giving his man a full blown hug. Look back and you'll see it always wraps his arms fighting for, I don't know, was gonna say positioning but half the time that's wrong too. I hope the new boss gets rid.

spiriticon

99% of the goals we concede are due to this lump of shite giving his man a full blown hug. Look back and you'll see it always wraps his arms fighting for, I don't know, was gonna say positioning but half the time that's wrong too. I hope the new boss gets rid.
Or Luke Shaw. Big Harry just can't keep his hands off Luke Shaw :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
He's not become entirely useless overnight. Genuinely appalling this season but I'd expect him to bounce back along with a few others if we sort our shit out.

The main concern is if he has the marbles to deal with being Utd captain and leader. A few whispers this year he's struggled with it.

Red For Ever

Apparently his father's Birthday and a family gathering.
Not really the way some are portraying it.
Whatever anyone thinks of him as a player and his performance against Watford.
evidence this is a family gathering was supposedly supported by his sister posting images of the same family gathering,
if that is all true, nothing wrong here, I guess he could have looked miserable, that would have helped.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When Watford are controlling the match vs United with relative ease - it makes me sorry for our defensive line.

Hopefully Maguire can go back and play in a team that dominates the attack with the opposition and the opposition plays a low block like they tended to do last season. Maguire should get a bit better then and the same with Shaw and few others.

Not that good of a reactive defender and under pressure he just collapses.

Hopefully a manager can now come that helps us be the team that puts pressure on the opposition again like the season before this one rather than playing vs teams that look like they are Barcelona whilst we sit and do nothing but defend against it; waiting for the initial goal to come.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Apparently his father's Birthday and a family gathering.
Not really the way some are portraying it.
Whatever anyone thinks of him as a player and his performance against Watford.
evidence this is a family gathering was supposedly supported by his sister posting images of the same family gathering,
if that is all true, nothing wrong here, I guess he could have looked miserable, that would have helped.
It would have helped me, the misery he has caused me this season, Id feel better if he looked like he was having a shit time :lol:

YouknowNani

He genuinely doesn't realise how bad he is does he? He's never personally acknowledged his own poor form. Whenever he's been absolutely awful, it's always about "the group" rather than his individual errors. Yes the team have been bad but he is the worst of the lot by a long way. I'm fed up of the bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.