Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hilton

High xG does not guarantee “great chances”. A bunch of shit chances (e.g. blocked shots from a long way out) can give you the exact same xG as two very good ones. That’s (one of) the reasons why people read far too much into xG.
That's true, but if you're giving away hundreds of low xG shooting opportunities, then xG adds up to show how much you risk the opposition scoring.

It's certainly not the be-all-and-end-all, but having a high xGC shows that we allowed either tons of half chances (against top professionals who are more than capable of taking them), or some gilt edged chances. Either way, it's legitimate evidence against the idea that we kept Chelsea out comfortably on Sunday.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You might not know but Rangnick will be bringing a countdown clock to Carrington. The aim is for players to adapt to a style of game were they must regain possession back within 8 seconds of losing it and create a goalscoring opportunity in 10 seconds. Its thought that Maguire is being quite proactive about it. In fact he's been spending hours after work with Carrick learning how to count till 10.

lex talionis

I don't quite know why you're going on about Fred, he did make a mess of his chance at the end, no argument.

As for our defending, we're simply gonna have to agree to disagree, as this is going around in circles. For me, the stats are pretty clear, only one defence (Newcastle's) conceded more expected goals than us.
Yes, agree to disagree. Just out of curiosity, what were the xG values of the two Rudiger chances and the Werner chance?

YouknowNani

This is nonsense really - we conceded one goal because Chelsea were profligate, wasting loads of chances, not because of any masterful defending.

Your opinion on Maguire in general is based on this season only really. He's played against plenty of premier league attackers as a mainstay of our defence for the previous 2 seasons in which we had the 4th and 3rd fewest goals against in the league, along with his time at Leicester, and at the Euros with England as a mainstay of a defence that conceded 0 goals from open play (1 direct free kick, 1 corner). He's obviously a top defender, but one that's having a poor season, partly because he's been heavily overplayed for the last few seasons.
No. It's based on his 3 seasons with us. The first one being poor to average at best, excused for being a new signing. The second season, the first half has was awful and it was excused again for the 'Greece incident'. The second half of that season admittedly he was better but still not good enough if you ask me. And now we are a third of the way into his third season and he's been awful again. How many more excuses are we going to create for him?

I'll concede we can't take us only conceding one against Chelsea as definite signal we are better without Maguire but i'd bet my house on it we would have lost game if he played. He's directly at fault for about half of the goals we've conceded this season. He's absolutely crap and I'm fed up of it being excused or claimed that he's just out of from. He is out of from yes, but even his top for is substandard.

Siezard

He's the Captain! Even if he's not worth 80 mil, hes still worth like 60 mil which is much better all the rest of the defenders in the squad.

Kaos

He's the Captain! Even if he's not worth 80 mil, hes still worth like 60 mil which is much better all the rest of the defenders in the squad.
He's not better than Varane. Questionable that he's even that much better than Lindelof or Bailly. I'm not even sure if Phil Jones is still alive.

Also he's the captain because our last coach was an amateur who hadn't a clue.

L1nk

Ruben Dias apparently the best defender in the world according to the Ballon d'Or, and to think we were linked with him before we bought Maguire and he was available at a much cheaper price and is much younger... what could have been

Gottabekiddingme

He's not surviving this season in the starting line up. He'll be gone is 2-3 seasons (Probably for free. What a joke of a transfer he turned out to be).

OTRightWinger07

ruben dias has a proper midfield in front of him. its unfair to compare maguire with this joke of uniteds midfield to ruben.

now if we talk about national teams, harry was nominated for the best EUROS XI and ruben wasnt, that just happened a few months ago.

The Hilton

No. It's based on his 3 seasons with us. The first one being poor to average at best, excused for being a new signing. The second season, the first half has was awful and it was excused again for the 'Greece incident'. The second half of that season admittedly he was better but still not good enough if you ask me. And now we are a third of the way into his third season and he's been awful again. How many more excuses are we going to create for him?

I'll concede we can't take us only conceding one against Chelsea as definite signal we are better without Maguire but i'd bet my house on it we would have lost game if he played. He's directly at fault for about half of the goals we've conceded this season. He's absolutely crap and I'm fed up of it being excused or claimed that he's just out of from. He is out of from yes, but even his top for is substandard.
Look there's no point in continuing this discussion, the level of hyperbole in your post is frankly a little unhinged.

Stacks

Agree with this.

Bruno, Wan bissaka, Maguire have deteriorated.

Players like Rashford and Greenwood haven't progressed a whole level etc.
Bruno was insane last season. More productive. How has he deteriorated?
This is nonsense really - we conceded one goal because Chelsea were profligate, wasting loads of chances, not because of any masterful defending.

Your opinion on Maguire in general is based on this season only really. He's played against plenty of premier league attackers as a mainstay of our defence for the previous 2 seasons in which we had the 4th and 3rd fewest goals against in the league, along with his time at Leicester, and at the Euros with England as a mainstay of a defence that conceded 0 goals from open play (1 direct free kick, 1 corner). He's obviously a top defender, but one that's having a poor season, partly because he's been heavily overplayed for the last few seasons.
they don't think so over at ESPN. he hasn't broken into the top 10 in his position once. They do a list every season. AWB has, Bruno, De Gea, Pogba etc

The Hilton

Bruno was insane last season. More productive. How has he deteriorated?

they don't think so over at ESPN. he hasn't broken into the top 10 in his position once. They do a list every season. AWB has, Bruno, De Gea, Pogba etc
Oh right well that's clearly irrefutable evidence, ESPN have spoken.

romufc

ruben dias has a proper midfield in front of him. its unfair to compare maguire with this joke of uniteds midfield to ruben.

now if we talk about national teams, harry was nominated for the best EUROS XI and ruben wasnt, that just happened a few months ago.
This is it. Put anyone in our defence when Ole was in charge, they'll all look bad. Look at Chelsea game, Lindelof and Bailly looked good because they had cover.

Its simple, defend as a team, attack as a team, then players will all look better than they do now.

Roux

Sorry, but this is just a poor excuse. Soo many of Maguire's mistakes are caused by himself - i.e the first Leicester goal, the sending off vs Watford, nearly every goal vs LFC, keeping players onside, being out of position etc, .

chiz2kul

absolute nonsense excuse. Dias is a force on his own to be reckoned with. Maguire is full of individual blunders and brain dead decisions. You cannot blame the midfield. Majority of his price tag is the English tax IMO.
National team midfield isn't any better and he really isn't any more domineering on that stage either.

captaincantona

McGuire made the step up to being a leader with England and a leader with Utd too soon imo. He is a decent centre half and not bad on the ball at all. He is still injured to me...looks off it compared to previous seasons....but it’s the expectation that’s getting to him by the looks of it.

McGuire also carries the weight of being the go to guy when playing out from the back..the rest of the backline and the keeper all seem to look for him. Once he makes one mistake and the pressure cranks up he struggles.

take the captaincy off him and get a proper game plan for playing out from the back and he will have two big weights off his shoulders...he will be fine.

Stacks

McGuire made the step up to being a leader with England and a leader with Utd too soon imo. He is a decent centre half and not bad on the ball at all. He is still injured to me...looks off it compared to previous seasons....but it’s the expectation that’s getting to him by the looks of it.

McGuire also carries the weight of being the go to guy when playing out from the back..the rest of the backline and the keeper all seem to look for him. Once he makes one mistake and the pressure cranks up he struggles.

take the captaincy off him and get a proper game plan for playing out from the back and he will have two big weights off his shoulders...he will be fine.
He is playing worst than normal at the moment so he has a higher level. Since he has been in the EPL he hasn't made them team of the season which is fine since only 2 can make it although historically we have CB who make it. Problem is his Leicester replacement Çağlar Söyüncü got put in there so they don't miss him and seem to have fleeced us

TheReligion

Abusive
Ake was injured most of last season. He made some decisive mistakes at the start of this season then was benched indefinitely.

Shame. I think he would be a good player for a midtable team like Manchester United.
Midtable team that finished 2nd last season. Silly Billy.

Lyng

If we can get 60 mil for him we should sell right away

OTRightWinger07

people who want to take the captain armband from maguire are clueless about real football. it just doesnt work this way, its like reading twitter over here.

maguire is the captain. he is the leader in the dressing room and once rangnick sorts the midfield he will be back to the form that got him nominated to the best EUROS XI.

Stacks

people who want to take the captain armband from maguire are clueless about real football. it just doesnt work this way, its like reading twitter over here.

maguire is the captain. he is the leader in the dressing room and once rangnick sorts the midfield he will be back to the form that got him nominated to the best EUROS XI.
Harry, is that you?

It does not work like that. He is no leader in the dressing room and cannot even lead the back 4. why would dudes like Ronaldo and Verane be lead and listen to Maguire who has mostly been relegated, and made teams less successful during his eras? Leicester won the league pre Maguire with a mean defence, then were midtable whilst he was there and since he has left they have won a cup and two 5th placed finishes (narrowly missing CL qualification). International football is not the same pace as EPL and we don't play 3 CB and 2 holding midfielders either.

Siezard

Ake was injured most of last season. He made some decisive mistakes at the start of this season then was benched indefinitely.

Shame. I think he would be a good player for a midtable team like Manchester United.
Ake was terrible. He relegated his team. He's lucky to be even in City bench at this point.

He only cared about himself. He likes to concede throw-ins and corners as long as he saved himself blushes. A lot of times when he's under pressure, he would just kick the ball out and concede a throw-in or free kick or corner and put his team in bad situations.

He can head towards goal though, just like Maguire.

Last edited:

Chief123

The Athletic in their long article about the transfer said that City bid £70m after failing to include Otamendi or Mangala in the deal for him. That bid was rejected and that was their limit. Guardiola confirmed in his press conference that they were in for him but couldn’t afford it.

It doesn’t prove his quality in and of itself but nor is it an irrelevance in any discussion about his level. That one of the greatest managers in the game and well run transfer committee were happy to invest that much says something about his level at least.

Pep wanting a defender isn’t really a sign that the defender is of quality.

After all, Pep also signed Nathan Ake, Mendy and Danilo who were all dog shit at defending.

romufc

Pep wanting a defender isn’t really a sign that the defender is of quality.

After all, Pep also signed Nathan Ake, Mendy and Danilo who were all dog shit at defending.
After all, Pep signed Laporte, Stones, Cancelo, Dias.

Kostov

He should have to earn his way back into the team, he’s been absolutely terrible these last few months.
The depressing thing is, he has to earn it from who? Bailly? The guy will probably score an own goal tonight, and Lindelof is prone to his own brain dead moments. He will soon be back in the team, I wish we had the defenders capable of keeping Maguire on the bench.

Chief123

After all, Pep signed Laporte, Stones, Cancelo, Dias.
Which proves the point, some turn out good and some turn out bad. Pep wanting a defender doesn't qualify the defender as top quality.

Chief123

The depressing thing is, he has to earn it from who? Bailly? The guy will probably score an own goal tonight, and Lindelof is prone to his own brain dead moments. He will soon be back in the team, I wish we had the defenders capable of keeping Maguire on the bench.
I know we don't have the best of alternatives. But if we are being completely honest, Lindelof seems a much less liability than Maguire right now. Even Bailly who is prone to brain farts is probably a better option. Considering Maguire is making calamities one after another, then playing Bailly isn't really a gamble any more as the calamities can't get much worse.

ShinjiNinja26

Haha funny you mention that I was actually going to add that to the end of my post that Bailly and Lindelof are liabilities so he’d probably be back in the team after a couple games anyway.

Kostov

I know we don't have the best of alternatives. But if we are being completely honest, Lindelof seems a much less liability than Maguire right now. Even Bailly who is prone to brain farts is probably a better option. Considering Maguire is making calamities one after another, then playing Bailly isn't really a gamble any more as the calamities can't get much worse.
I agree, and it's mainly due to Maguire being shambles, and Bailly is Bailly, one moment he is our best defender, the next one is mayhem.

Sviken

I agree, and it's mainly due to Maguire being shambles, and Bailly is Bailly, one moment he is our best defender, the next one is mayhem.
Maguire has been a mayhem since the start of the season. I fail to see how giving Baily a chance can do us bad. Yeah, for sure, he scored a shitty one goal, but aside from that he has been stellar.

Chief123

I've always felt Maguire is one of those unusual players. When he is fully fit and at the peak of his form, he is a very good quality defender. Not world class, just very good. Similar to how Johnny Evans used to be for us. However, if Maguire is even 5-10% below his peak then his drop off is catastrophic. He ends up looking comical and a major liability.

I do worry for Maguire in how he will fit in to the short term plans of Ragnick. We already know Ragnick is unlikely to change his philosophy to accomodate players. We need to move away from that approach. Ragnick teams will press high and require high intesity. Both of these aspects are what Maguire struggles with. Maguire's game suits a team that drops off and plays counter attack while keeping tight and compact at the back where it forces opponents to play crosses and high balls in which Maguire can deal with. When it comes to any kind of space in behind, he gets exposed badly. He tries to counter it by being overly aggressive at times in order to disguise his weakenesses in being beaten by quick turns and pace.

Kostov

I've always felt Maguire is one of those unusual players. When he is fully fit and at the peak of his form, he is a very good quality defender. Not world class, just very good. Similar to how Johnny Evans used to be for us. However, if Maguire is even 5-10% below his peak then his drop off is catastrophic. He ends up looking comical and a major liability.

I do worry for Maguire in how he will fit in to the short term plans of Ragnick. We already know Ragnick is unlikely to change his philosophy to accomodate players. We need to move away from that approach. Ragnick teams will press high and require high intesity. Both of these aspects are what Maguire struggles with. Maguire's game suits a team that drops off and plays counter attack while keeping tight and compact at the back where it forces opponents to play crosses and high balls in which Maguire can deal with. When it comes to any kind of space in behind, he gets exposed badly. He tries to counter it by being overly aggressive at times in order to disguise his weakenesses in being beaten by quick turns and pace.
If Ragnick is as good as his reputation that is portrayed and I feel overblown, I have no worries of the casualties that this expected working system of the German will bring. Whether that is Maguire, Ronaldo or whoever. Few of these players I feel deserve better, I would chop them off to Burnley the majority of them if I had the opportunity. So if maguire can not fit in, feck him off.

Kostov

Maguire has been a mayhem since the start of the season. I fail to see how giving Baily a chance can do us bad. Yeah, for sure, he scored a shitty one goal, but aside from that he has been stellar.
I like Bailly, actually much more than Lindelof and more than Maguire to be fair, however I've learned not to put much hope on him unfortunately.

essao

Both Bailly and Lindelof have several glaring weaknesses in their game.The former is blunder-prone,injury-prone and inconsistent while the latter is cowardly in the air,gets bullied by physical strikers and has poor-positioning at critical times.But these issues can easily be coached out of them.The two need to be given time to develop a partnership if they can remain injury-free-especially since Varane also seems to be fragile.Maguire's issues are a different animal.He is slow,has poor positioning and he has increasingly become very nervous-most probably because of the weight of being captain and yet playing poorly-despite the heavy transfer fee.He needs to be stripped off the captaincy to lessen the mental strain and then benched so that he can refocus.

Sylar

Is he available tonight? I hope Carrick sticks with Lindelof and Bailly.
Same, I'd understand if it was Varane or if Maguire was on hot fire form
But he's been a mess in every game since the Leicester game since being rushed back the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.