Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roux

Why you would grab players in the box in this VAR era is just stupid - he's a constant offender, very lucky to get away with it last night.

arnie_ni

I still wonder how and when this myth of him being good on the ball started.
He is. He played some class passes tonight.

He does dwindle on the ball at times, but there was one time he threw his hands up in the air in disgust when noone moved.

Mainoldo

That's true of lots of top level centre backs though. If they get caught up the field, the vast majority aren't catching up with a forward. That includes the likes of Dias and Laporte. They're not all that quick either. Is Matip all that quick?
They have recovery pace. He has non, which means we defend from deep.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I genuinely think some people on here need to find a new sport. It baffles me how some people can be so clueless yet are so bullish in their opinions. They clearly don't understand the first thing about what they are watching, but still pop up here talking nonsense.

As I said before, Maguire was brilliant yesterday. Absolutely first-class, everything you would want in a modern CB. This is why the bloke is rated so highly by actual football managers, is captain of Manchester United and one of the first names on the teamsheets for one of the best national football sides in the World.
Agreed played very well yesterday. Made some absolutely critical headers too at decisive moments.

TrustInJanuzaj

Nah, he didn't have a better game, just a game where he didn't make a mistake that lead to a direct goal.
Other than that, he was the usual, slow passing, sleeping on the ball and getting covered by Lindelof a few times.
I mean he clearly did have a better game than recently. You’ve literally admitted it in the first line. Get behind your players and give them credit when it’s due.

Marwood

They have recovery pace. He has non, which means we defend from deep.
Do they though? Are they catching up with quick forwwrds who have a head start? I don't think so.

Pace is obviously Maguires big weakness but it's not like the other top teams all have sprinters at CB.

Sylar

He was better, not his absolute best but maybe best of the season so far given how had he's been

I think we were let off by arsenal trying to defend a 1-0 and being silly to put in aimless crosses near the end which Maguire will love. We have an issue when teams press us high especially from our goal kicks

Some of his passing was great though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Much better than his usual self this season, but still far from great defensively. He was good in the build-up though & seemed more aggressive and self-assured.

AFC NimbleThumb

As one of his biggest critics, it’d be wrong not to speak on how well he played last night. It was a weird game though as Arsenal didn’t look to be playing with a striker for long periods.

His issues will always be when he’s up against pace/strength & is made to turn. Last nights game played to his strengths but he was good nonetheless.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He is. He played some class passes tonight.

He does dwindle on the ball at times, but there was one time he threw his hands up in the air in disgust when noone moved.

He really isn't for me. There is one pass he needlessly passed out of play on his left because he dwindled on it. Man needs all the time and space in the world to make some good passes

edgecutter

He was better than previous games, but he shouldn't have got back into the team so quickly after the shockers he has. I feel for Bailly.

Lentwood

Do they though? Are they catching up with quick forwwrds who have a head start? I don't think so.

Pace is obviously Maguires big weakness but it's not like the other top teams all have sprinters at CB.
It's a massive myth that CBs need to be quick. They don't, not even to play in a 'progressive' formation.

Now, obviously, pace helps. It helps to get defenders out of bad situations. The trick, however, is not to get into these 'bad situations'. In reality, pace should only be required as an absolute last-resort, get-out-of-jail card in a desperate situation.

The reason Maguire (and Varane and Lindelof) looked so exposed earlier on in the season is because we were constantly getting countered every time we lost the ball. They were spending half the game scrambling, running back towards their own goal or facing 3 vs 3 attacks. See the Villarreal game if you want an example of how even a Champions League and World Cup winning CB (Varane) looks all at sea if their are huge gaps everywhere. Maguire didn't play in this game, and it's arguably the game we have been most-chaotic all season.

The fact is, CBs are usually 6ft+ and 90KGs, whereas attackers are usually short, agile and very quick. A quick attacker, i.e. Mo Salah, would burn even the quickest CBs over 10/20 yards, it's just a fact. If you're constantly relying on winning foot-races and one vs one defending, you are getting something wrong as a unit

TrustInJanuzaj

This is the stage we are at now on RedCafe. Criticising our own players for 'fouls' that weren't given, even after VAR review
Agreed. Any excuse to throw Maguire in the mud. He had a good game yesterday so some straws have to be clutched.

Mainoldo

Yeah mate if football was just about raw pace every game we would see 100 meter sprints. Positioning is vital and the faster players on the pitch doesn’t always Olypics style sprint past a defender. Maguire’s problem is he’s just slow af and normally not positioned well.

Lyng

This is the stage we are at now on RedCafe. Criticising our own players for 'fouls' that weren't given, even after VAR review
He pulled him down in our Penalty area. it was silly and typical of him. Of course it will be highlighted when people are trying to paint some weird picture where he was apparently excellent.

Marwood

It's a massive myth that CBs need to be quick. They don't, not even to play in a 'progressive' formation.

Now, obviously, pace helps. It helps to get defenders out of bad situations. The trick, however, is not to get into these 'bad situations'. In reality, pace should only be required as an absolute last-resort, get-out-of-jail card in a desperate situation.

The reason Maguire (and Varane and Lindelof) looked so exposed earlier on in the season is because we were constantly getting countered every time we lost the ball. They were spending half the game scrambling, running back towards their own goal or facing 3 vs 3 attacks. See the Villarreal game if you want an example of how even a Champions League and World Cup winning CB (Varane) looks all at sea if their are huge gaps everywhere. Maguire didn't play in this game, and it's arguably the game we have been most-chaotic all season.

The fact is, CBs are usually 6ft+ and 90KGs, whereas attackers are usually short, agile and very quick. A quick attacker, i.e. Mo Salah, would burn even the quickest CBs over 10/20 yards, it's just a fact. If you're constantly relying on winning foot-races and one vs one defending, you are getting something wrong as a unit
Yeah totally agree with all that.

Yeah mate if football was just about raw pace every game we would see 100 meter sprints. Positioning is vital and the faster players on the pitch doesn’t always Olypics style sprint past a defender. Maguire’s problem is he’s just slow af and normally not positioned well.
I don't really but the positioning thing. I mean what are the chances all these posters know exactly how a top level CB should be positioned at all times. It's a simple game and sometimes fans can see things a manager for instance can't but it's got that way with Maguire where fans are just hyper critical.

It's just individual, out of character, errors that are his problem right now. He's made a few, confidence gets knocked so he makes more. Just a case of stopping that cycle. A few good team performances to give the defenders a break would really help.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It baffles me how some people can be so clueless yet are so bullish in their opinions.
It's a syndrome - there's even a name for it. Something-something syndrome: the thicker you are, the surer you are that you're actually sharp as hell.

romufc

I genuinely think some people on here need to find a new sport. It baffles me how some people can be so clueless yet are so bullish in their opinions. They clearly don't understand the first thing about what they are watching, but still pop up here talking nonsense.

As I said before, Maguire was brilliant yesterday. Absolutely first-class, everything you would want in a modern CB. This is why the bloke is rated so highly by actual football managers, is captain of Manchester United and one of the first names on the teamsheets for one of the best national football sides in the World.
People keep refering to Bailly Varane partnership. I mean Bailly can hardly stay fit for 3 games in a row.

England when Maguire was injured, was back into the first 11 when he got fit. Its not a coincidence that these managers / coaches bring him back in.

I know alot of fans don't rate Carrick and Ole but they have more credentials than us armchair fans.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Nah, he didn't have a better game, just a game where he didn't make a mistake that lead to a direct goal.
Other than that, he was the usual, slow passing, sleeping on the ball and getting covered by Lindelof a few times.
"Nah, he didnt have a good game, he just didn't make any mistakes???" If that's not a good game, what is? Damn, some of you guys really hate this guy, it's crazy. He was great yesterday, did everything that was needed.

Teja

Solid yesterday, hopefully on the way back to his best. I think going long instead of overcooking the build up suits his game. Let's see how he'll do under the new manager.

Tapori

Cautiously better.
Still has glaring flaws that hopefully Ralph can help with.
Lucky with the pen
Favourite moment: Blaming the ball for his sky shot when a better pass was on

OTRightWinger07

i believe rangnick will love harrys long passes. and now that he is 100% fit we will see the best of harry with progressive moment infront of him.

YouknowNani

Considering I've been supporting him plenty, that sounds like some grade A projection.

What do you reckon, £100? Surely we can get a witness, which means neither of us can back out. Majority being more than half. That work for you?
I feel slightly reluctant having to wish on somebodies downfall to win the bet. But yes it works for me haha.

I'll give it to you he looked a lot better against Arsenal but I can't say I believe that will last.

The Hilton

I feel slightly reluctant having to wish on somebodies downfall to win the bet. But yes it works for me haha.

I'll give it to you he looked a lot better against Arsenal but I can't say I believe that will last.
I get that, but it goes to a good cause.

Any mods available to witness and enforce this?

Redlyn

He is as prone to lapses of bad judgement as Bailly. What the **** was the thinking wrestling down opponents on the edge of the penalty area.

Yeah while that was an absolutely brain dead move I am not sure that's a penalty anymore due to lack of consequence. The ball wasn't near the player.

Jackal981

Looks like a brick wall in organized system. Maybe it's not totally his fault that he looked like crap under vibes only manager

TSE123

His best game this season. Looks more confident, but playing CP so maybe need time before saying his recovered to his old self.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Was okay but I suspect once Varane is back he might get displaced. He’s a bit ponderous on the ball.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Damn people are so sour when he has a good game. A clean sheet.

I absolutely loved his long range passes from the back today - was switching lanes very quick and accurately.

tjb

His best game this season. Looks more confident, but playing CP so maybe need time before saying his recovered to his old self.
He looked like this most of last season an the season before.

Lyng

His best game this season. Still he looks the weak link of the defense in this kind of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.