Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Fair play to Harry. He played well today. The stuff about playing forward from Rangnick clearly hit home with him.

He has been shocking since we lost at Leicester (arguably since before that). However, his upward tick in form has been noticeable since his return from suspension. Hopefully he's over the dip.
Yeah, his passing was good. He played lot of passes between the lines and also few passes to the wing to find winger/Dalot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Best thing he did yesterday was that headed clearance late in the second half. Stuck his face where it hurt. Other than that, I thought he was the least impressive of the back four. He is the only player that takes more than two touches in our half. Initially I thought it was on Ole's instruction. Now starting to think it's just McGuire. Either way, it'll need to be coached out of him. Also, choice of passes, placement and zip will need to be improved so he stops getting other players in trouble.
Learn to spell his name

A-man

Fair play to Harry. He played well today. The stuff about playing forward from Rangnick clearly hit home with him.

He has been shocking since we lost at Leicester (arguably since before that). However, his upward tick in form has been noticeable since his return from suspension. Hopefully he's over the dip.
I agree he improved quite a lot. The main problem that is still there is that he is too slow on the ball but hopefully it’ll improve with higher intensity of the team.
Those stats are a bit misleading as they include failed passes.Harry had in total 4 succesful long balls out of 10 attempts.
Maguire was good today and is the captain.
Looking at performance, it would be a nobrainer to bench Harry, but I doubt that a new coach has the guts to bench the captain.

copen1945

I agree he improved quite a lot. The main problem that is still there is that he is too slow on the ball but hopefully it’ll improve with higher intensity of the team.
Those stats are a bit misleading as they include failed passes.Harry had in total 4 succesful long balls out of 10 attempts.

Looking at performance, it would be a nobrainer to bench Harry, but I doubt that a new coach has the guts to bench the captain.
Maguire starting only because he is the captain will be a gift from Ole that keeps on giving long after. I hope Ralf can either improve him to cut out the mistakes or be the decisive and experienced coach that he is reputed to be.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Played well and played some nice passes forward. But the defense wasn't tested as much because Palace didn't attempt to press us and sat off. Bigger tests lay ahead in the high compact block, which Rangnick will look to get right in the coming weeks. Hopefully Varane will be back soon.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
agree he improved quite a lot. The main problem that is still there is that he is too slow on the ball but hopefully it’ll improve with higher intensity of the team.
Final third passes are not just long passes. Only Telles completed more passes into final third with 10, Maguire second with 9.

GueRed

Back on form hopefully. His importance to the team is underrated by so many.

A-man

Maguire starting only because he is the captain will be a gift from Ole that keeps on giving long after. I hope Ralf can either improve him to cut out the mistakes or be the decisive and experienced coach that he is reputed to be.
I think he’ll cut out some mistakes when he’s entering better form. Hopefully also increase his speed with the ball and passes. The big question for me is how he’ll manage a higher line where he will be the last man more often than before.

Final third passes are not just long passes. Only Telles completed more passes into final third with 10, Maguire second with 9.
I know. But the stats presented included many misplaced passes (failed long balls) and looking at accurate passes, the number is 9, not 16.

roonster09

Scout
Not really, there is no rule or clause that captain should always play. New manager can easily drop him if they want to, it's not like he is high profile player like Ronaldo or Pogba.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Not really, there is no rule or clause that captain should always play. New manager can easily drop him if they want to, it's not like he is high profile player like Ronaldo or Pogba.
He's not high profile, but he also kind of is.

He's the defining signing of Ole's failed managerial career at £80m.

It'll be 2 years in January since he was given the armband - which is a long time.

From a PR perspective, I don't think United's non-football people would have it.

gajender

I think he is a high profile player to be honest but I don't think it would be a problem dropping him and even Ole could have dropped him if he wanted to he dropped Pogba quite frequently , I believe he just rated him higher than other options even when he was out of form .

roonster09

Scout
He's not high profile, but he also kind of is.

He's the defining signing of Ole's failed managerial career at £80m.

It'll be 2 years in January since he was given the armband - which is a long time.

From a PR perspective, I don't think United's non-football people would have it.
No, he isn't defining signing of failed manager stint, he has done well for couple of season and this season he is poor. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Also it makes sense for RR to change it. He is interim manager, it will at least make it easier for new manager. Just make Ronaldo as captain, at best it will be news for couple of days, then people will see how it was always expected.

roonster09

Scout
I think he is a high profile player to be honest but I don't think it would be a problem dropping him and even Ole could have dropped him if he wanted to he dropped Pogba quite frequently , I believe he just rated him higher than other options even when he was out of form .
For Ole it made sense to play him as Bailly was injured and Maguire was good for couple of seasons. This season he should have been dropped and then Varane was injured.

I agree with your overall point, Ole was poor when it comes to using full squad.

romufc

Played well and played some nice passes forward. But the defense wasn't tested as much because Palace didn't attempt to press us and sat off. Bigger tests lay ahead in the high compact block, which Rangnick will look to get right in the coming weeks. Hopefully Varane will be back soon.
The biggest difference I saw with him today, his line breaking passing was really good. He had almost stopped doing that under Ole, passing side ways only.

This is what happens when a manager says, I do not want to see passes sideways or backwards.

justsomebloke

The biggest difference I saw with him today, his line breaking passing was really good. He had almost stopped doing that under Ole, passing side ways only.

This is what happens when a manager says, I do not want to see passes sideways or backwards.
I did think though that he sort of stood out as one who hadn't really made the transition to quicker passing. He was still doing his well-known holding on to the ball and scanning the horizon for 3-4 seconds before passing-thing, while others looked quicker and crisper in their passing. It also looked to me like his teammates tended to go for other options than him when passing around at the back, but it's hard to tell how accurate such impressions are.

Dolf

Whenever he gets the ball, it takes so long for him to control it and position his body. I get it, he's huge, but still. He takes too long to simply pass the ball to whoever is in front of him.

Oranges038

He's so slow and predictable on the ball.

Noticeable when he plays that he prefers to play to the left. It's also annoying how much he plays to the left even when it's not on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He did well, mate, and some of those raking balls were a pleasure to witness. Hopefully he can can now settle down and play his natural game.

Kostov

He didn't feck up anything, which was refreshing Harry thanks mate. Jokes aside, he did some quality passes imo, and seems that his confidence is building up a bit.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's so slow and predictable on the ball.

Noticeable when he plays that he prefers to play to the left. It's also annoying how much he plays to the left even when it's not on.
YOu will just be annoyed because you are bitter about him for some reason, how about praising a player for having clearly a great game. It's not just today when he acted a bit like a playmaker from deep, stepping it up in midfield many times, cyrrying the ball to the oppo's half. but obviously he's in your stomach like many other people because he cost so much.

BTW nothing wrong with criticising his early seasons's shocking form but last three, four games he seems totally back to his form himself and we should be happy about it since like he showed last season and at the Euro's a world class CB like him in the team is really important to have. But him and other palyers like Lindelof and Dalot will benefit from a team structure and overall much better defending as a team because obviously top teams don't sit back and invite neverending pressure like us under Ole so there are mistakes forced in players.

As for the passing itself, yes he's usually taking an extra touch but nothing wrong in the last game, he's passed quickly when he had options. He only dwells on the ball when he's got no option to pass and it's been a major problem with players like McTominay and no runners off the ball up front around him, also when we are playing from the back and CMs are not in risky position to receive the ball and stretch the play, it leaves CBs to create and then obviously it's not about getting rid of the ball in 3 seconds. Mistakes are costly and you can just spread the balls around like on FIFA having most of your players up front marked and that's when players like Maguire tend to spend more time on the ball, but they really have no other option. Just watch the game closely and see, other than pointless 5m passing sideways it's difficult to thread thru any kind of sensible and defence splitting pass.

BTW don't know how predictable he was when he released Rashford early in the game for the Ronaldo weak finish with his left foot..

Oranges038

YOu will just be annoyed because you are bitter about him for some reason, how about praising a player for having clearly a great game. It's not just today when he acted a bit like a playmaker from deep, stepping it up in midfield many times, cyrrying the ball to the oppo's half. but obviously he's in your stomach like many other people because he cost so much.

BTW nothing wrong with criticising his early seasons's shocking form but last three, four games he seems totally back to his form himself and we should be happy about it since like he showed last season and at the Euro's a world class CB like him in the team is really important to have. But him and other palyers like Lindelof and Dalot will benefit from a team structure and overall much better defending as a team because obviously top teams don't sit back and invite neverending pressure like us under Ole so there are mistakes forced in players.

As for the passing itself, yes he's usually taking an extra touch but nothing wrong in the last game, he's passed quickly when he had options. He only dwells on the ball when he's got no option to pass and it's been a major problem with players like McTominay and no runners off the ball up front around him, also when we are playing from the back and CMs are not in risky position to receive the ball and stretch the play, it leaves CBs to create and then obviously it's not about getting rid of the ball in 3 seconds. Mistakes are costly and you can just spread the balls around like on FIFA having most of your players up front marked and that's when players like Maguire tend to spend more time on the ball, but they really have no other option. Just watch the game closely and see, other than pointless 5m passing sideways it's difficult to thread thru any kind of sensible and defence splitting pass.

BTW don't know how predictable he was when he released Rashford early in the game for the Ronaldo weak finish with his left foot..
What did he do yesterday that was so great? He's been so shit at defending, that moving the ball forward a few times against a poor Palace team has now become something that he should be lauded for.

He's always slow on the ball, 4-5 touches before he plays it even when he has an easy pass on.

The graphic clearly shows he played the ball to the left a lot and it's a preference that I've noticed with him.

You can be assured that opposition teams have too, which is why you regularly see him playing the ball into the left back channel, only for it to end up with that player being crowded out and the ball going out for a throw or ending up in a scramble for possession.

Either he has no option to switch it back across - which means either De Gea or Lindelof aren't dropping out to help him.

Or McT amd Fred aren't dropping into spaces to receive the ball in front if him. Which we all know at this stage is a fairly normal occurence.

Or maybe he plays it to the left so much because he's just not comfortable opening up his body in 1 or 2 touches and opening out the play.

Amarsdd

Did we forget the entirety of the last two seasons and the Euros? People are pretending Maguire's been equally poor the last two seasons, just because he's been poor this season.

Foxbatt

It must be the manager because he thumped the ball out a couple of times when there was no other good option. Previously he would have tried something fancy and got caught in possession.
In the second half he had a couple of those moments but RR will probably iron out the faults.
He always had a good pass. His dribbling is not bad and once he gets steam up he is not that slow either. But he takes ages on the ball a lot of time and that needs to be coached.

YouknowNani

He looks half decent when he's under no pressure from the opposition has little to no defending to do. That was the case against Palace and to a degree against Arsenal.

He still seems to be the one doing the least effective work as a defender. It's nearly always Lindelof stopping attacks, mopping things up while Maguire points and tells him what do to.

Can't complain too much, he was ok against Arsenal and Palace but as soon as he's under pressure again, has someone running at him or has nimble players attacking in and around him. He'll be make mistakes that lead to goals again.

romufc

The Rangnick effect..

yet people think he is poor. Some of those passes are real class. We know he has this passing range and line breaking passing, under Ole it seems we played sideways.

I dont think a Bailly will take his spot.

lex talionis

Another player who needs to be rested more than he was under Ole. Ole rushed him back, with disastrous consequences. He doesn't yet look fully fit to me and with some fairly pedestrian opponents coming up -- but a few of them aren't actually all that easy -- I'd like to see RR rotate and keep the back line fresh and that includes Maguire.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought he had a solid game, by far his best this season, but he was not perfect today the long range passes where not the Scholes style where they were pinged at a player but they were lofted passes which sometimes they were very good but a number of times he but Dalot in trouble as the ball was in the air so long that the Palace player could either intercept or be in the best position press Dalot.
Nope...he doesn't pass the ball as good as Scholes did. Nobody does

Blood Mage

After Lindelof's fantastic performances against Arsenal and Palace I think Maguire might be in trouble when Varane comes back into the team. I hope I'm right, because for me Maguire is the 3rd best CB at the club and I don't think Bailly is that far behind him either.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think he's doing better, I really think Ole's play was exposing him and making him look worse than he actually he is

roonster09

Scout
Had good game but it was so frustrating to watch him messing up simple pass when we were under so much pressure.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He was good but not very good. Got done a couple times including one disgusting cooking inside the box .

arthurka

He was good but not very good. Got done a couple times including one disgusting cooking inside the box .
This very mixed bag from him today. But he is looking better that's for sure. Shaw being out might have something too so with it.

Stadjer

Was okay-ish, DDG saved him when he lost the header after a corner, he is supposed to be a force in the air and shouldnt be beaten by Kabak (?)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's back to his usual good defending. Still fecking shite on the ball. I'm hoping Ralf or the next manager tells him he's not Franz and to stop dribbling into midfield only to follow it up with a pass to the LB.

Was okay-ish, DDG saved him when he lost the header after a corner, he is supposed to be a force in the air and shouldnt be beaten by Kabak (?)
He is good in the air and not "supposed to be". Getting beaten once doesn't change that (but it obviously stands out because it's so rare)

Status
Not open for further replies.