Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
People try to tell me that they don't scapegoat Maguire meanwhile they gave him the lowest marks on the game today. You guys are pathetic. Unbiased and real ratings from whoscored gave him 6.76 today. Which doesn't make him a world beater, but puts him on par with Bailly today who was 6.8. But that's what happens when you get unbiased opinions who know a little thing or two about football, unlike you lot...

Harry Maguire Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
Eric Bailly Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
Your constant defense of him and slander of those who disagree is pathetic. Take a Prozac and calm down.

Varun

Staff
People try to tell me that they don't scapegoat Maguire meanwhile they gave him the lowest marks on the game today. You guys are pathetic. Unbiased and real ratings from whoscored gave him 6.76 today. Which doesn't make him a world beater, but puts him on par with Bailly today who was 6.8. But that's what happens when you get unbiased opinions who know a little thing or two about football, unlike you lot...

Get some sleep, Harry

Nordmore

Tbh I have no idea what happened with Maguire. He was not great but imo actually one of our relatively consistent performers last season. He's easily the worst player yesterday. One important thing we have to notice that Burnley has really crap forwards.

As slow as he's he at least should have positioned himself correctly. I lost count how many times because of him our offside trap went to feck. He's so slooow and cumbersome. We're really lucky that Burnley didn't know how to finish.

I don't know about the armband but imo he definitely doesn't deserve to start next match unless the only other option is Phil Jones.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Lets not bother watching match when these stats tell everything right? Bailly heavy touch led to the goal but Maguire couldn’t stop Lennon from shooting. Same game Eric was one on one with lennon and didnt allow him to shoot after we lost the ball in dangerous position

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Was he like this for Leicester?
No.

He had concentration lapses and made mistakes from time to time, but never like this season. British tax or not, I never rated him as a 80M elite defender and his passing was overhyped. Maybe if he had a manager like Pep or Klopp, he could've gone to the next level. Still he's a good, solid defender.

He obviously needs a break and someone else should be named captain, because like GifLord's video showed, the man's confidence is gone.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't like our online fanbase at times like this. Maguire is struggling for form, but rather than rally around him, people want to hang him. It's clear that for his first two seasons, Maguire improved our defence significantly. He generally put in 7/10 performances and was a calming figure in defence.
The bolded part is actually my big issue with him. He's been the exact opposite of a consistent 7/10, as his performances have constantly been up and down like a yo-yo during his time with us. I've always found it strange how this 'he was consistent for us in the past so don't judge him too harshly for his current poor form' attitude seems to keep coming up. People are saying it now, people were saying it last season when he was struggling, and I remember people even saying it in his first season. If it's something that has to keep being said, he's obviously not actually being consistent.

First season we never knew what we were going to get, with plenty of great games, plenty of shit games, and plenty of decent games. It's not like they were even in periods where he was at different levels - it was on a game to game basis.
Second season he started atrociously for the first couple of months, got a bit better for a couple of months, then was fantastic for the second half of the season.
Third season he's started atrociously again and has carried that through half the season.

Maguire has shown he can be very good. He was probably the second best central defender in the league in the second half of last season. But he's arguably been poor more often than he's been great so far in his two and a half seasons with us.

I was hopeful after how he finished last season that he had hit his stride and we were going to see that kind of form consistently going forward. Unfortunately the exact opposite has happened, and it's obvious he needs to be taken out of the firing line so he can get his head back together. The problem is that Varane has been injured, Lindelof has had his health issues, Bailly is...well, Bailly, and Jones is Jones. So it's been very difficult to drop Maguire recently.

Last edited:

mattunited1978

doommonger
Absolute clown, cant stand him as a player, he's even shite at the things that he's meant to be good at. One of the worst signings we'v ever made.

Roux

Ahh Harry's hero and savior at it again.

The biggest improvement this team can make is getting rid of this player ASAP. A truly horrendous signing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

They were both pretty crap, in different ways. Ideally a defensive partnership should complement each other. These two manage to do the exact opposite.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going to cost us against any half-decent team. Once Lindelof recovers from Covid, it's time for Ralf to drop him, he's not playing himself back into any form and he's going to cost us points.

Ideally, the next manager is gutsy and moves him on. I see it like Lukaku, good player in there, just wrong club.

Red Rash

Even if you strip away the fact that he cost 80 million and is our captain, the performances recently have been very poor.

At the moment he is being exposed for his lack of pace and his positioning isn't making up for it. The best thing we can do for him and the team is to take him out for the next 3 or 4 games. Shaw and Wan Bissaka were also struggling before Rangnick came in and it seems like the time out of the team helped them based on yesterday's performance.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I'm starting to think maybe he has some eyesight problems?

You can't possibly be this bad at judging the ball flight.

My 5 year old has a better chance of the ball hitting him on the head accidentaly.
Its because he's scared and so his brain is going haywire.

DickDastardly

Its because he's scared and so his brain is going haywire.
You think he's scared? Of what?
Let's not get into his brain.......he doesn't look like the sharpest pencil in the box, but apperances can be decieving.

Maguire has shown he can be very good. He was probably the second best central defender in the league in the second half of last season.
Was he really?
Is he really a confidence player? Doesn't strike me as one.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Was he really?
Is he really a confidence player? Doesn't strike me as one.
I'd say he was. Bear in mind though that VVD was injured and, other than Dias, there wasn't really anybody else performing at a particularly high level. He was very good though for that period though.

All players are confidence players to some extent. When you are confident everything is just easier, it all just comes naturally to you. When your confidence is low you end up second guessing everything and overthinking, so you end up doing everything slower and making mistakes (which is exactly what seems to be happening to Maguire atm).

It's just that some players can handle that dip in confidence better than others.

A-man

Tarkowski bullying him on the set piece at the end annoyed me
It’s ok to get bullied by Tarkowski, he’s a tough guy. But not ok to whine the way Harry did. The captain needs to stand up for himself and the team.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Lets not bother watching match when these stats tell everything right? Bailly heavy touch led to the goal but Maguire couldn’t stop Lennon from shooting. Same game Eric was one on one with lennon and didnt allow him to shoot after we lost the ball in dangerous position
The way you guys scapegoat players it's as if nobody can ever have a scoring chance or they all suck. And those plays you are comparing were nothing a like. Maguire had no time to do much as Bailly gave the ball away at the top of the 18. Bailly had all the time in the world to think about how to take Lennon out as he dribbled in from 40 yards out. But in your head they are the same thing. That pretty much optimizes TheCaf. Too many people who know nothing about this game but think they do

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The way you guys scapegoat players it's as if nobody can ever have a scoring chance or they all suck. And those plays you are comparing were nothing a like. Maguire had no time to do much as Bailly gave the ball away at the top of the 18. Bailly had all the time in the world to think about how to take Lennon out as he dribbled in from 40 yards out. But in your head they are the same thing. That pretty much optimizes TheCaf. Too many people who know nothing about this game but think they do
Seen loads of this from you lately, seem to think you know it all :D

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Your constant defense of him and slander of those who disagree is pathetic. Take a Prozac and calm down.
Look...Harry isn't even close to being my favourite player. But I'm tired of him being scapegoated. Has he been great this year? No, not since he returned from injury too soon. Has he been slowly finding his form again? Yes he has. Does that stop people from looking for the bad and ignoring the good? It certainly does. The last time I saw a player in our squad scapegoated this much was back when Carrick was playing. Of course most now pretend that they always loved Carrick but that's not anywhere near how it was when he was actually playing. But it's a herd mentality. Muppets will be muppets and jump on the bandwagon of what others say. Imagine if you lot could think for yourself and actually knew a thing or two about football

RopersReturn

Would be a amazing if Maguire was dropped from the squad let alone relieved of the captaincy. I know it’s not going to happen, market forces and financial obligations dictate team selections to a extent these days. If Ralf is bold enough to stand up to the Glazers and Woodward, he should give them a shopping list in the January window outlining his ambitions for the club and insist on releasing/loaning out/selling the following- Bailey, Dallot, Martial, Pogba, Matta, P.Jones, Lindelöf, Telles. Serious discussions need to take place about Maguires future at this club.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought we paid too much for the Maguire we see for England and when he was at Leicester but seeing him play now thinking about the £80 million price tag makes me queasy.

He shouldn't be captain, unfortunately unless the new manager is hard nosed then the opportunity to strip him of the captaincy has gone after what happened in Greece. That was the time to do it.

He plays like a Championship defender, his first thought as soon as the opposition try to get the ball off him is to put the ball out for a throw in or corner even when he's got time to clear it up the pitch.

mancan92

Look...Harry isn't even close to being my favourite player. But I'm tired of him being scapegoated. Has he been great this year? No, not since he returned from injury too soon. Has he been slowly finding his form again? Yes he has. Does that stop people from looking for the bad and ignoring the good? It certainly does. The last time I saw a player in our squad scapegoated this much was back when Carrick was playing. Of course most now pretend that they always loved Carrick but that's not anywhere near how it was when he was actually playing. But it's a herd mentality. Muppets will be muppets and jump on the bandwagon of what others say. Imagine if you lot could think for yourself and actually knew a thing or two about football
How has he been slowly getting better? He's been awful for months.

GlasgowCeltic

It’s ok to get bullied by Tarkowski, he’s a tough guy. But not ok to whine the way Harry did. The captain needs to stand up for himself and the team.
True, strong William Gallas at Arsenal vibes from him as a captain

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought we paid too much for the Maguire we see for England and when he was at Leicester but seeing him play now thinking about the £80 million price tag makes me queasy.

He shouldn't be captain, unfortunately unless the new manager is hard nosed then the opportunity to strip him of the captaincy has gone after what happened in Greece. That was the time to do it.

He plays like a Championship defender, his first thought as soon as the opposition try to get the ball off him is to put the ball out for a throw in or corner even when he's got time to clear it up the pitch.
He's a 30-35 million pound rotation player. Nothing more. We should be buying a world-class (or close to world-class) CB to partner Varane and have them as our first choice starters, and have Lindelof and Maguire as backup when the other two need a rest. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen because the man has been elevated above his level due to the fee paid and the fact that he was, inexplicably, made captain.

Unless Ralf or the next manager has the stones to strip him of his captaincy, he's going to continue to be the first player on the team sheet. That's a bit of a problem.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's a 30-35 million pound rotation player. Nothing more. We should be buying a world-class (or close to world-class) CB to partner Varane and have them as our first choice starters, and have Lindelof and Maguire as backup when the other two need a rest. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen because the man has been elevated above his level due to the fee paid and the fact that he was, inexplicably, made captain.

Unless Ralf or the next manager has the stones to strip him of his captaincy, he's going to continue to be the first player on the team sheet. That's a bit of a problem.
Pretty much in a nutshell there. I can't think of any other player in the entire squad who has not been dropped for tactical/disciplinary/form reasons over the last year. Someone needs to help me out here.

By default that makes Maguire United's most valuable player? Somebody please help it make sense.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I am assuming this includes you as well because what you are talking about is absolutely nonsense. Maguire just wasn’t quick enough to close down Lennon. This isnt the first time when he has been humiliated in 1vs 1 situation. Its not scapegoating when you point flaws in a player. Maguire pace is not suited to play high line and his on the ball ability isnt good enough.

Last edited:

Tarrou

he was pretty shit today though mate, to be fair

that long clearance that somehow turned into a chance for Burnley for school-boy stuff

jem

You’re trying so hard not to say the ‘G’ word :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is it really his fault that he is chosen as the captain and isn't a good enough one?

Is that the managers fault?

jeepers

Isn't one of the first things you learn as a CB to clear the danger at all costs and don't allow the ball to bounce? Amateur stuff.
Yes it is, but amazingly, from that video, it seems he completely misjudged the flight of the ball or had gone to sleep.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

It's not an unbiased opinion, it's a math algorithm that literally doesn't know a single thing about football. But yeah, it seems that you're the only unbiased person on this forum, Neo to Mark Goldbridge's army of Agent Smiths.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is it really his fault that he is chosen as the captain and isn't a good enough one?

Is that the managers fault?
It's a fair point but it's hard not to evaluate him as a captain as well when he's, well, a captain. This one is on Ole though (and Ralf doesn't seem to want to disturb the ecosystem too much).

Status
Not open for further replies.