Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

No player is consistently performing well if his surrounding environment is shit. I think we have a lot of rot in the team and Maguire may be part of it, I can't really say who is at fault, who is infected and who is still "good".

But I can definitely say that our players have performed worse than in previous season in groups, and I don't think the problem has been consistency
There are very few players in the squad that can say they've played above average as a whole this season. There is no singular cause for the issues. It's many issues. We usually have over half of the players playing poorly in every match. It's impossible to play well in that scenario.

The players have definitely performed worse. We were not good last season, but this is far worse. Nothing has changed in midfield or in goal. Only Varane has arrived to play in defence and he's missed a bunch of games. It makes me believe that there are issues with cliques in the squad. They're not happy together and that is helping to cause below average performances.

I also do think that a lot of these players are not consistent enough. They may not be able to handle the pressure of playing for this club. Almost all of them are exceptional talents when they play at their best, but they rarely play at that level. The vast majority of performances we get are average or below.

georgipep

There are very few players in the squad that can say they've played above average as a whole this season. There is no singular cause for the issues. It's many issues. We usually have over half of the players playing poorly in every match. It's impossible to play well in that scenario.

The players have definitely performed worse. We were not good last season, but this is far worse. Nothing has changed in midfield or in goal. Only Varane has arrived to play in defence and he's missed a bunch of games. It makes me believe that there are issues with cliques in the squad. They're not happy together and that is helping to cause below average performances.

I also do think that a lot of these players are not consistent enough. They may not be able to handle the pressure of playing for this club. Almost all of them are exceptional talents when they play at their best, but they rarely play at that level. The vast majority of performances we get are average or below.
My personal opinion is there are 3 main factors behind our downturn:
a) the disappointment after losing the final last season lead to some belief lost in the team's potential
b) the club not acting in the playing staff's best interests in another transfer summer (not addressing the glaring issue we have with the lack of the right midfielder profile)
c) Ronaldo. Top-dog position in the squad, attention and ball magnet, demanding everything to focus around him. Also having top wages while necessitating a change in tactics, which meant that whatever was working last season won't be possible to replicate this season.
d) The downturn under Ole and his sacking totally destroyed the belief within the squad that they can achieve big things together. Reports lead us to believe that Ole was creating quite the positive squad harmony. That house of cards tumbled down this season.

Mike Smalling

Translation..

Bla bla bla, bla bla bla. Derp Der derp, derdleederp derp dumb.
Pretty much. Talk is so cheap at this point, I'm surprised they don't see it themselves. I can almost guarantee that the team won't go on a "proper run starting Monday", and that Maguire or another player will make a similar statement a month or two from now.

SAFMUTD

He's the weakest captain we've had, not his fault since he's not really a leader but I'm still amazed he was made captain so soon after his arrival. We were desperate for leader back then and we still are.

lex talionis

It would be best for all if Ralf made Cristiano captain to allow Harry to refocus on gaining fitness and freshness. In all seriousness Lindelof, Bailly and Jones should be given extended runs while Harry takes a long look in the mirror and ask himself what the hell he is all about.

HailtotheKing

One of our worst players this season is having a call to arms speech. Does he even realize he has been one of our worst this season. I am still having nightmares of his performance v Leicester. Sunday league stuff
Has he once admitted his failings as a player? I don't think Ive ever heard him say something like I didn't play well today but I will do everything I can to ensure I get better. Or any kind of self-acceptance whatsoever. He seems quite selfish to me and oblivious to his poor form.

united for life

It would be best for all if Ralf made Cristiano captain to allow Harry to refocus on gaining fitness and freshness. In all seriousness Lindelof, Bailly and Jones should be given extended runs while Harry takes a long look in the mirror and ask himself what the hell he is all about.
the problem is that all the defenders you mentioned need this mirror

lex talionis

the problem is that all the defenders you mentioned need this mirror
A fair point, up to a point. Lindelof is no all worlder, but he’s more reliable than Harry and his only real fault is that he can bullied. Jones has established permanent residency in the ER, but it’s hard to imagine what word he could have himself about that. Bailly is the one, of these three, who would benefit from a proper reflection on his game and how he could improve his performance level.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I wonder whether taking the armband off him and get him focussing purely on his defending, rather than try be a leader, could be a positive move?

Not excusing him being captain as to why he's been regularly so poor, but it's a thought. It made me think of when Valencia took the #7 one season, played so poorly and went back to #25. He puts it down to "superstition", but it wouldn't surprise me if wearing the most iconic United number got to him in his head.

Greck

Funny thing is no one would have believed he wasn't an improvement on Phil Jones if they weren't both at the club.

crossy1686

career ending
He should have decked Rashford for that.
He doesn't really command a lot of respect does he? He's just a bloke the manager can wheel out after a defeat to say some cliche's and take the flack, and it's not like he can call anyone out the way he's been playing. Making him the captain might have been Solksjaer's biggest mistake.

Satsuma United

It is time for the captain to come back and prove he is our best CB.

Lindelof and Varane had their opportunity and they didnt take it.

Ixion

It is time for the captain to come back and prove he is our best CB.

Lindelof and Varane had their opportunity and they didnt take it.
I'm sorry, what? Lindelof played well for most of the game last night, and Varane is much better than Maguire.

Maguire has cost us goals all season but you just want to forget that.

ForeverRed1

Talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk. Keeps coming out with statements on social media.. it doesn’t mean anything. All that matters is the performance on the pitch, the desire, passion, talent, attitude, application and as the captain, leadership.

last season there were points when he was actually pretty vocal, he was constantly shouting at players and demanding, haven’t seen that this season, maybe the rumours of him being intimidated by Ronaldos presence is true:lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A piece of information thats often lost is that Harry Maguire wasn't just bought for $80m. We paid £80m and beat Manchester City to him who actively rejected the option to move to Manchester City, over United.

I mention it because he's become the scapegoat of shitty recruiting, but you'd wonder if Pep has suddenly become cluelless as well, or if there's a larger mental aspect to Harrys sudden demise other than his playing ability.

romufc

A piece of information thats often lost is that Harry Maguire wasn't just bought for $80m. We paid £80m and beat Manchester City to him who actively rejected the option to move to Manchester City, over United.

I mention it because he's become the scapegoat of shitty recruiting, but you'd wonder if Pep has suddenly become cluelless as well, or if there's a larger mental aspect to Harrys sudden demise other than his playing ability.
Yes and what should not be lost either is that Manchester City realised he is not worth the transfer fee requested for him. Manutd thought, oh we beat City to his transfer when that might not be the case. We were the fools thinking he is worth that.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yes and what should not be lost either is that Manchester City realised he is not worth the transfer fee requested for him. Manutd thought, oh we beat City to his transfer when that might not be the case. We were the fools thinking he is worth that.
Manchester City placed a bid of £65 million for him though, that is not a minor effort to sign a player.

romufc

Manchester City placed a bid of £65 million for him though, that is not a minor effort to sign a player.
That is a 15m difference in valuation, fact is City did not value him more than that.

Negative Red

City have previously bought players for large amounts of money that haven't worked out.. and will do again, as will everyone else. It's not Maguire's fault he was bought for £80m. At this stage the price tag is irrelevant. He shouldn't be playing regular football for United as doesn't perform as good as our other defenders.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Well they paid 45 for Mangala, around 50m for Mendy, 100m for Grealish, and have had countless flops in terms of signings..... so....

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That is a 15m difference in valuation, fact is City did not value him more than that.
Did you value him at 65m at the time? If yes, why not 80? What metric are you valuing players by other than "fan feel"?

romufc

Did you value him at 65m at the time? If yes, why not 80? What metric are you valuing players by other than "fan feel"?
I valued him at £40m actually.

Well, I try to see the quality of a player, what does he bring to the table and Maguire although I feel is a good defender, was no way near VVD standard.

We seemed desperate to sign him which increased the value.

KennyBurner

That means nothing considering the shite city transfers that never pans out and nobody talks about. Maguire would just have been another expensive signing for them that didn’t work out.

lex talionis

I'd like to see Varane and Lindelof get a few more starts together before we bring Maguire back. Harry has had a horror season, and whatever it is that's been ailing him mentally or physically probably still needs a few more weeks to be worked out of his system. There is a quality CB in his boots and I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

TSE123

Agree, hope for the bench tonight as well.
Maybe likely considering the reports of Rangick not rating him particularly highly. I did think Ragnicks interview before the Villa game indicated that there was more to him benching Maguire than him simply just returning.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hopefully this is for good. He’s not good enough for United - period.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I dont recall any Utd captain we didnt miss in the team as much as him.
Sooner he's stripped of the captaincy the better.
Antonio Valencia?
Ashley Young?

Anyway the obsession on who wears the armband is one that I never get

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The thing is, anytime he played agianst the top teams for Leicester he looked very fecking good. He was also decent at carrying the ball and was pretty damn press resistant. Or maybe I'm misremembering?

I dunno, he's mediocre now.

edgecutter

Serious questions should be asked about the purpose of holding on to him after this season. He looks miles off the pace and simply isn't good enough. How the feck did we get bamboozled paying 80 million for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.