Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Player Agents: Triple S Sports
Squad Number: #5
Contract until: Jun 30, 2025
Contract option: Option for a further year
Outfitter: Nike

UDontMessWith24

Speaking of players who play better for their country…We could legitimately be a title threat with this Harry Maguire and Varane

VanDeBank

Ma’am

This isn't some mishit pass. He just doesn't look.
Every player can have brain farts, but this is exemplary.

If Varane is our target, we'll be massively reliant on Pogba's playmaking again.

Defensively we should be really sound. Hopefully the set piece coach works out and De Gea finds some semblance of form again.

pacifictheme

If Varane is our target, we'll be massively reliant on Pogba's playmaking again.

Defensively we should be really sound. Hopefully the set piece coach works out and De Gea finds some semblance of form again.
I think in commentary they said he had no options, and he doesn't really. What else can you do really.

romufc

Here we go again, defender clearing his lines because there is no option.

The agenda against Maguire is real.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think in commentary they said he had no options, and he doesn't really. What else can you do really.
The BBC commentary said he was frustrated.

Here we go again, defender clearing his lines because there is no option.

The agenda against Maguire is real.
Are you guys for real? He's clearly not trying to clear, or else he would've done it instantly instead of dribbling himself into trouble.

The best play is to send Saka deep with a ball to the sideline (you can see Saka posturing for it), the moment he intercepts the ball.

He had 4 seconds in possession, he could've passed it to Shaw or make the difficult Saka pass early on, and even after dribbling himself into trouble he could have passed it to Walker the entire time. Then he hits a long ball to where he assumed Sterling would be. He didn't actually LOOK for his teammates, or else he would've seen the only long ball option was Sterling top left. But again, he can pass it back to Walker any time.

The man just starts dribbling with no idea of what he's going to do. Neither does he assess his options while he's doing it.

His ability on the ball is just massively overrated around here. The fact that we paid 80 million for him and his composed nature just seems to trick a lot of people into believing he's more than just a very average CB on the ball.

romufc

The BBC commentary said he was frustrated.

Are you guys for real? He's clearly not trying to clear, or else he would've done it instantly instead of dribbling himself into trouble.

The best play is to send Saka deep with a ball to the sideline (you can see Saka posturing for it), the moment he intercepts the ball.

He had 4 seconds in possession, he could've passed it to Shaw or make the difficult Saka pass early on, and even after dribbling himself into trouble he could have passed it to Walker the entire time. Then he hits a long ball to where he assumed Sterling would be. He didn't actually LOOK for his teammates, or else he would've seen the only long ball option was Sterling top left. But again, he can pass it back to Walker any time.

The man just starts dribbling with no idea of what he's going to do. Neither does he assess his options while he's doing it.

His ability on the ball is just massively overrated around here. The fact that we paid 80 million for him and his composed nature just seems to trick a lot of people into believing he's more than just a very average CB on the ball.

So a CB putting it out when there is no forward option means his passing ability is over stated.

I have seen Messi / Ronaldo sky freekicks, shots or miss great chances, does that mean their shooting ability is over stated? No.

Maguire is one of the best ball playing CB's, just because you selected a clip where he kicks it out, and chose to ignore the ones he made brilliant passes ?

His price tag has nothing to do with his ability though.

3vra

Outfitter: Nike

I am pretty sure it’s PUMA

He was outstanding in Euro, give him Varane as a partner and we have the best central defence in EPL.
I was not sure about his leadership but he is great capitan material. A little better aim from headers to score more then 5 goals and we have new VIdic

GledTheRed

I love Maguire, his form since he cleared his head over the Greece incident had been up there with the best. We'd be a shambles without him as evidenced when he was injured.

Are you for real? Anyone worth his salt doesn’t just instantly twat a ball, they’ll try dribbling to find a pass rather than having to lump it, that’s all he does here.
I’d have been frustrated too, the movement in front of him and to the side in that clip is utterly horrendous.

romufc

Are you for real? Anyone worth his salt doesn’t just instantly twat a ball, they’ll try dribbling to find a pass rather than having to lump it, that’s all he does here.
I’d have been frustrated too, the movement in front of him and to the side in that clip is utterly horrendous.
This is the problem with some fans. They find a clip where he hoofs the ball and decide that is the decider of what a player does.

Ignores all the passes he played throughout the game and tournament. If you look at his ball playing ability, its up there with the best.

Doogie

Sure, not a great pass but I'll counter with this one earlier in the tournament
Does this make him some master of passing? No, but then your clip doesn't highlight anything about him either

arthurka

Needs to see more of those headers on target this season.
Agree he has to stop skying them all the time with us. Anyone in doubt about his importance to this Utd team needs to take a look at the form after he got injured.

That hoofball isn't proof of anything he cleared the lines because he didn't have a runner or an open player to pass too. Blame that on the manager who shat his pants.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
"No options available" "standard clearance"

Easy pass to Shaw, that only becomes unavailable after he starts dribbling.

Best pass available, to the outside of Saka. There was no Italian in that space.

Safe passing option back to Walker after the initial dribble.

Only long ball that was actually available. Slightly over Sterling to the side.

My concern is with intent.
It's not about one moment. A lot of things had to go wrong in this sequence to arrive at his punt.
It's like watching a chess player hang his rook vs not protecting his king the entire game. One is a blunder, the other shows lack of skill.

Actually, you guys are the ones bringing up one moment (the Kane assist) to show how brilliant he is on the ball.

romufc

Actually, you guys are the ones bringing up one moment to show (the Kane assist) to show brilliant he is on the ball.
Can you show me a post of someone who posted that before you posted the one clip of him clearing it?

I assume you haven't played much football with those lines?

Passing it to Walker, what would he have done? he would have done the same thing because there were no options.

Shaw? he has to turn his whole body to pass to Shaw.

Saka was available for like 1/2 a second and there were 3 bodies around him.

In football when a player passes to you in such situations, you are putting them under pressure, he just cleared to to allow the team to reset. I don't see how him clearing a ball once in a game is a big issue and represents his passing as average?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So he made the Euro Team of the Tournament. I wonder how much is he worth right now?

Not that I'd sell him, just curious.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Can you show me a post of someone who posted that before you posted the one clip of him clearing it?

post 5,731 on the last page in the previous Harry performances thread.

I assume you haven't played much football with those lines?

Sorry I didn't use my ruler, I guess?

Passing it to Walker, what would he have done? he would have done the same thing because there were no options.

Well, apparently Harry didn't see Sterling was on the left, because he punted it to the assistant referee on the right. Maybe Walker sees Sterling's on the left and plays the long ball OR he plays it to Saka on the sideline, which is a textbook play. Either way, it's better than giving the ball to the Italians. Saka is even pointing at Walker.

Shaw? he has to turn his whole body to pass to Shaw.

Maguire's right footed, Shaw left footed. He barely has to turn to make the most basic pass imaginable and you're the one accusing me of not having played football?

Saka was available for like 1/2 a second and there were 3 bodies around him.

It's a lot closer to 2 seconds and that's partly through his own fault of dribbling into 3 Italians. The pass I drew puts 2 of the Italians out of play and if it's perfectly weighted a 3rd one as well. If he overhits it, the ball goes over the sideline. If he under hits it, Saka receives the ball but doesn't get an easy run past the last Italian. It's a low risk, high reward pass.

In football when a player passes to you in such situations, you are putting them under pressure,

Not this situation. You've just implied an oppo player that's 10 meters behind Saka (towards England's goal) should dissuade a pass. By those standards, everyone is always surrounding everyone and punting the ball out of play is always acceptable.

he just cleared to to allow the team to reset.

Reset for what? He had just intercepted and was under no pressure to clear.

I don't see how him clearing a ball once in a game is a big issue and represents his passing as average?

It's just a recent example,
Players that are good on the ball and aren't under pressure just don't punt it into no man's land. For a ball playing CB that would be a once-in-a-season brain fart, meanwhile Maguire does weird stuff like this almost every game. Here's a punditry clip from the Dutch EPL broadcaster highlighting Maguire's weakness on the ball:

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Swear this is my first post for about 5 years, and God knows if this thread is the place, but can I ask why our captain is willingly giving interviews to the Sun?

Just myself that finds this incredibly shitty?

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Swear this is my first post for about 5 years, and God knows if this thread is the place, but can I ask why our captain is willingly giving interviews to the Sun?

Just myself that finds this incredibly shitty?
Erm probably. Harry isnt from Liverpool and he was born in the 90’s. The sun is probably just another paper to him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Sure, not a great pass but I'll counter with this one earlier in the tournament
Does this make him some master of passing? No, but then your clip doesn't highlight anything about him either
Van de Bank asked earlier if anyone had seen Maguire ever play a defence splitting pass, he clearly has an agenda.

romufc

Players that are good on the ball and aren't under pressure just don't punt it into no man's land. For a ball playing CB that would be a once-in-a-season brain fart, meanwhile Maguire does weird stuff like this almost every game. Here's a punditry clip from the Dutch EPL broadcaster highlighting Maguire's weakness on the ball:

So are you telling me to be a good passer you need 100% pass accuracy. Find me one defender who is good on the ball that has 100% pass accuracy.

Find me a striker who has 100% shot accuracy as well.

This is football played by humans not AI where mistakes are not made.

You must be very naive to think that because he is a good passer he cannot make mistakes. Accounts like yours are the reason we have such a toxic fan base, going through the internet and looking for negative videos about our players. Maguire is one of the best CB at the moment.

Here's a moron with a massive agenda going back years who was utterly shite in the PL plucking out something we all can do, every mistake a player makes in a small compilation.
fixed.

We could do a similar video for Ronaldo. VDV has just been shown up as an utter moron by the UEFA Team of the Tournament, will he hold his hands up? Like feck he will, the moron will double down.

Here’s VVD compilation, what is it proof of again?

and let’s not all forget that amazing piece of control that set up Bamford last season.

He should’ve learned his lesson about trying to be a football snob when he was such an average player himself, especially after thinking it was really funny to laugh and take the piss out of an 18-year-old Harry Kane and tell his Spurs teammates that he couldn’t even kick a ball. Anyone listening to VDV needs his head checking.

Last edited:

romufc

fixed.

We could do a similar video for Ronaldo. VDV has just been shown up as an utter moron by the UEFA Team of the Tournament, will he hold his hands up? Like feck he will, the moron will double down.

Here’s VVD compilation, what is it proof of again?

and let’s not all forget that amazing piece of control that set up Bamford last season.

He should’ve learned his lesson about trying to be a football snob when he was such an average player himself, especially after thinking it was really funny to laugh and take the piss out of an 18-year-old Harry Kane and tell his Spurs teammates that he couldn’t even kick a ball. Anyone listening to VDV needs his head checking.
These are the posters that really create the toxic environment. They post videos of Maguire's mistakes on all social media and create an agenda against the player.

The worst thing is they are so called United fans as well. I mean, I cannot think of any player that makes no mistakes.

With VDV, he is just plane dumb. Just because a player played football, doesn't mean they watch football, I am sure there are reels of him being crap but he isnt important enough for people to care.

With VDV, he is just plane dumb. Just because a player played football, doesn't mean they watch football, I am sure there are reels of him being crap but he isnt important enough for people to care.
Aye.

Stick "Ronaldo fail compilation" into youtube and you'll see a video compilation of one of the best footballers in history looking like he's wearing Koko the clown's shoes. If the best he can come up with on Maguire is about 5 instances over a couple of seasons at United, that should tell him and everyone else something, just as 1-2 instances in the Euros should do the same, it's the exception, rather than the rule, because make no mistake, you can make that compilation for absolutely anyone if that's your agenda, as proven by the VVD video above.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He needs to choose his summer holiday a lot more carefully this year.

Terminator

Maguire is very good on the ball. He has great composure and will look for a quick short pass even if the angle is tight and usually gets it right. One or two hopeful punts up the field in a final doesn't change anything.

Some of you lot really deserve Smalling. :lol:

romufc

Aye.

Stick "Ronaldo fail compilation" into youtube and you'll see a video compilation of one of the best footballers in history looking like he's wearing Koko the clown's shoes. If the best he can come up with on Maguire is about 5 instances over a couple of seasons at United, that should tell him and everyone else something, just as 1-2 instances in the Euros should do the same, it's the exception, rather than the rule, because make no mistake, you can make that compilation for absolutely anyone.
Its obvious these people don't watch full 90 minutes of football matches because they fail to understand the context of the game as well.

You are 1-0 up in a final, the last thing you want to do is play a pass to put your team mates into trouble, what Maguire did was play it out, let the team reset, midfielders push up and start again, in football sometimes this is necessary.

People start making minds up about players over compilations is becoming a theme, I remember when a so called United fan posted a 2 minute clip about Bruno being a stat padler.

A-man

[

First season at United, I thought he was slow on the ball. Both slow at releasing the ball and also when trotting forward with the ball. But last season he had improved both those things. He has more one touch passes and moves forward faster. The only thing I miss are those key passes cutting through the opposite midfield. Kane received 2-3 of those on the Euro but we haven’t seen them at United. Could be due to different quality at receiving end.

A totally misplaced long ball once in a while is not a problem for me. I fear more those CBs who lose the ball when trying to dribble their way out.

Last edited:

Zoo

England we’re on the rack all second half. Kane and Sterling vanished and the midfield was completely overrun. You’re using one example to make a conclusion sorry that just comes across as an agenda.There were also numerous examples in this game alone of his good ability on the ball.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I can see people still not getting VandeBank's trolling.

For anyone reading this thread and wondering if to bait, this guy said Tyrone Mings was better with the ball.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Van de Bank asked earlier if anyone had seen Maguire ever play a defence splitting pass, he clearly has an agenda.
It's an extremely rare occurrence, which was my point.

To say I have some sort of agenda against my captain, is an unnecessary insult when I'm criticizing one aspect of his play.
Does everyone coming into Fred's thread saying his shooting is bad, or into McTominay's to say he hides from the ball, have an agenda as well?

Just because you disagree with me and are too lazy or unable to write a substantive response, doesn't mean I have an agenda.

So are you telling me to be a good passer you need 100% pass accuracy.

No, I didn't say that. Read my response, instead of making a straw man and then rage jizzing all over a keyboard.

Find me one defender who is good on the ball that has 100% pass accuracy.

Find me a striker who has 100% shot accuracy as well.

This is football played by humans not AI where mistakes are not made.

You must be very naive to think that because he is a good passer he cannot make mistakes.

As I've explained in an earlier post, my problem isn't that Maguire wildly mishit the ball, my criticism is that he was aiming for the right, where he thought Sterling would be, instead of actually looking and seeing he was on the left. It's about the intent.

Accounts like yours are the reason we have such a toxic fan base, going through the internet and looking for negative videos about our players.

I won't tell you again to feck off with the insults, little man.

I didn't look on the internet for the initial clip. I spat out my drink when I saw it during the match. I only looked up the compilation because you and others were whining it's only incident (and you've yet to acknowledge it was a terrible play)

Maguire is one of the best CB at the moment.

You keep ending all your posts with "Maguire is good", as if I'm arguing the contrary. Read my posts and see I'm only criticizing his ability on the ball. Stam wasn't great at playing out from the back, but was still very good.
fixed.

Oh no, Angry boy calls me a moron on a football forum. I'm so upset, help.

He's a good defender, but the UEFA team of the tournament pick doesn't mean he's magnificent on the ball. Vidic was EPL player of the season twice and he wasn't even the best ball playing CB in the team.

I doubt VDV was the guy that cut the video, nor is it necessary to listen to him to SEE Maguire isn't among the top ball playing CBs in the world. I could find clips of ones that are and highlight what they do that Maguire doesn't, but using footage to argue my point means I'm toxic according RAB or romufc.

Neither can you find compilations of defense splitting passes by Maguire. Yet him giving 2 at Euros is used to paint him as some sort of Beckenbauer.

Aye.

Stick "Ronaldo fail compilation" into youtube and you'll see a video compilation of one of the best footballers in history looking like he's wearing Koko the clown's shoes. if the best he can come up with on Maguire is about 5 instances over a couple of seasons at United, that should tell him something, because make no mistake, you can make that compilation for absolutely anyone.
We can't compare attacking players that are forcing to create chances in the final 3rd with CBs that can feck over their team by giving the ball away. It's why CBs can have a 90% successful pass rate and offensive players 50% and still play well.

You literally can't find Virgil shitting himself when he's not under pressure twice in a season. And by shitting himself I mean dribbling into 3 people when he has passing options, then hoofing it to an empty part of the pitch instead of a teammate. A mishit pass isn't the same as shitting yourself. Actually, VVD rarely shits himself when he's pressure, which is why he's among the best CBs on the ball.

Its obvious these people don't watch full 90 minutes of football matches because they fail to understand the context of the game as well.

You are 1-0 up in a final, the last thing you want to do is play a pass to put your team mates into trouble, what Maguire did was play it out, let the team reset, midfielders push up and start again, in football sometimes this is necessary.

People start making minds up about players over compilations is becoming a theme, I remember when a so called United fan posted a 2 minute clip about Bruno being a stat padler.
:lol: The irony is that he allowed to Italians to reset (and gave them the ball). He could've set up a counter attack with acres of space instead of hoofing it and allowing the Italians to reset. You really shouldn't be one to bring up football know-how every time you post some sort of excuse of why Maguire is correct in hoofing it.

You seem to be arguing two contradictory things:

1. Maguire hoofing it is perfectly fine.
2. It's only one mistake. (and you slam me for bringing up more as a response :confused:)

Make up your mind, use more than one sentence per paragraph and edit the petty insults out, please.

I can see people still not getting VandeBank's trolling.

For anyone reading this thread and wondering if to bait, this guy said Tyrone Mings was better with the ball.
I said he looked a bit better on the ball to me from what I saw at the start of the tourney/friendlies. Thought Stones was better on the ball throughout as well.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
It's an extremely rare occurrence, which was my point.

To say I have some sort of agenda against my captain, is an unnecessary insult when I'm criticizing one aspect of his play.
Does everyone coming into Fred's thread saying his shooting is bad, or into McTominay's to say he hides from the ball, have an agenda as well?

Just because you disagree with me and are too lazy or unable to write a substantive response, doesn't mean I have an agenda.

Oh no, Angry boy calls me a moron on a football forum. I'm so upset, help.

He's a good defender, but the UEFA team of the tournament pick doesn't mean he's magnificent on the ball. Vidic was EPL player of the season twice and he wasn't even the best ball playing CB in the team.

I doubt VDV was the guy that cut the video, nor is it necessary to listen to him to SEE Maguire isn't among the top ball playing CBs in the world. I could find clips of ones that are and highlight what they do that Maguire doesn't, but using footage to argue my point means I'm toxic according RAB or romufc.

Neither can you find compilations of defense splitting passes by Maguire. Yet him giving 2 at Euros is used to paint him as some sort of Beckenbauer.

We can't compare attacking players that are forcing to create chances in the final 3rd with CBs that can feck over their team by giving the ball away. It's why CBs can have a 90% successful pass rate and offensive players 50% and still play well.

You literally can't find Virgil shitting himself when he's not under pressure twice in a season. And by shitting himself I mean dribbling into 3 people when he has passing options, then hoofing it to an empty part of the pitch instead of a teammate. A mishit pass isn't the same as shitting yourself. Actually, VVD rarely shits himself when he's pressure, which is why he's among the best CBs on the ball.

:lol: The irony is that he allowed to Italians to reset (and gave them the ball). He could've set up a counter attack with acres of space instead of hoofing it and allowing the Italians to reset. You really shouldn't be one to bring up football know-how every time you post some sort of excuse of why Maguire is correct in hoofing it.

You seem to be arguing two contradictory things:

1. Maguire hoofing it is perfectly fine.
2. It's only one mistake. (and you slam me for bringing up more as a response :confused:)

Make up your mind, use more than one sentence per paragraph and edit the petty insults out, please.

I said he looked better to me from what he showed at the start of the tourney/friendlies. Thought Stones was better on the ball throughout as well.
The same Stones who gave most of the balls to Maguire because he he'll do better with it? Nice one.

romufc

I don't need to prove that he can, I watched the games unlike you who types on youtube: Maguire fails.

I watched enough matches for United and England to come up with the conclusion that Maguire is a good passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.