Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Black lives matter and all that but that's no reason to take the knee midgame

Kag

Him being terrible isn’t an anomaly though, even though he has been a good/borderline great signing for us overall. He has these games from time to time.
An anomaly is something than isn’t part of expected standard or pattern. Him being terrible is by no means standard. That was an awful performance today, and thank Christ he isn’t usually like that.

AFC NimbleThumb

You said terrible games are not an anomaly. I’m saying that they are. Do you know what an anomaly is?
Acting as if he’s never been bad isn’t particularly progressive, so before you start talking like a dictionary quit talking out your. . . ‘criticise the post not the poster’.

He has a fair share of poor performances each season, he’ll have a game like today a few more times this season then look good in others. Thus, today is not an anomaly.

Last season. Spurs [H], Turkish team [A], Roma [A], Everton [H] that’s without the clangers he dropped in ‘Project Restart’ vs Spurs [A], Bournemouth [H], Southampton [H]. They’re the ones I can be bothered to list, there are more.

He’s not a bad defender by any means but the same comment you made, about it being his worst game, happens whenever he has a bad game/moment which isn’t particularly rare.

What he looks is tired, which really shouldn't be the case 2 games into the season. He's either not fit enough or not rested enough, i'm not sure which.

Lights Out

One of his worst performances in a United shirt. Shaky as a shitting dog.

Kag

Acting as if he’s never been bad isn’t particularly progressive, so before you start talking like a dictionary quit talking out your. . . ‘criticise the post not the poster’.

He has a fair share of poor performances each season, he’ll have a game like today a few more times this season then look good in others. Thus, today is not an anomaly.

Last season. Spurs [H], Turkish team [A], Roma [A], Everton [H] that’s without the clangers he dropped in ‘Project Restart’ vs Spurs [A], Bournemouth [H], Southampton [H]. They’re the ones I can be bothered to list, there are more.

He’s not a bad defender by any means but the same comment you made, about it being his worst game, happens whenever he has a bad game/moment which isn’t particularly rare.
I don’t think he has a ‘fair share’ of poor performances. I think he’s consistently very good and has been for a while now. If you’re going to throw around fancy words then at least take the time to understand what they actually mean. I’ll leave you to it.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t think he has a ‘fair share’ of poor performances. I think he’s consistently very good and has been for a while now. If you’re going to throw around fancy words then at least take the time to understand what they actually mean. I’ll leave you to it.
It’s not a particularly fancy word, I cited a few examples & you disagree; your opinion is noted.

Enjoy the Arsenal - Chelsea game.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Worst game in some time. Allowed a poor game on the odd occasion though.

PoTMS

Absolute dogshite today but he's allowed to drop a few stinkers after carrying that defence last season. Hopefully the arrival of Varane will get him back up to speed.

ShinjiNinja26

An off day from Harry, very sloppy at times. Thankfully those performances are few and far between and he’s been a rock at the back for us the majority of the time so I’ll cut him some slack.

Strats

He was absolutely shite, but not worried. Think he'll be great alongside Varane

Sylar

Not a great game. He thought he had more time than he was given. Hopefully he puts it behind him. His passing range was off too. Just wasnt at it.
Hopefully boosts him to perform next game now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
An anomaly is something than isn’t part of expected standard or pattern. Him being terrible is by no means standard. That was an awful performance today, and thank Christ he isn’t usually like that.
I can only speak for myself, but I expect a few of those performances per season out of him because, sadly, he has obvious weakness that sometimes overlap & lead to those kind of games. It doesn’t happen often, so when you talk about his performances season by season they don’t account for much, but it’s certainly a part of an expected pattern — for me, at least.

To be fair for him, we as a team never had a set up that truly compensated for his weaknesses, so maybe with Varane this pattern would change.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What he looks is tired, which really shouldn't be the case 2 games into the season. He's either not fit enough or not rested enough, i'm not sure which.
Didnt he unnecessarily play in a midweek friendly

KennyBurner

Too slow on the ball and casually taking his time. Shameful performance from him. Ole needs to start screaming that he release the ball quicker.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Maybe he should be more concerned for his place in the side with Varane joining and today he looked very nervy. Could have cost us if Armstrong was more clinical.

Too slow on the ball and casually taking his time. Shameful performance from him. Ole needs to start screaming that he release the ball quicker.
He shouldn't even need told, but I agree completely.

When you have the manager and the captain failing to get pissed off at how casual it is, then it's no surprise when it starts to spread to other players too.

kundalini

Slow start to the season. Could easily have cost us the match with his carelessness in possession. Big chance from Fernandes' freekick.

Classical Mechanic

He looks off the pace and overall was poor but I actually don't think he did too much wrong on the goal. He went to block the shot on Adam's strong side so Adam had to take the shot on his weak foot. It was a poor effort and off target that unfortunately deflected off Fred into the net. I think he did the right thing fouling Adams to concede the free kick too. Southampton had an overload and whilst JWP is probably the best free kick taker in the league he still misses 4 out of every 5 he takes,

RedStarUnited

He looks off the pace and overall was poor but I actually don't think he did too much wrong on the goal. He went to block the shot on Adam's strong side so Adam had to take the shot on his weak foot. It was a poor effort and off target that unfortunately deflected off Fred into the net. I think he did the right thing fouling Adams to concede the free kick too. Southampton had an overload and whilst JWP is probably the best free kick taker in the league he still misses 4 out of every 5 he takes,
and the chance Southampton should have scored from?

A-man

Poor game. Looked like he played without confidence, just like the other defenders. Not going to make too many excuses for him, but I don’t think our midfield being so poor helped him. They lost ball after ball and both him and Lindelof didn’t really get much help when under pressure.

The worst thing he consistently does are those completly uncontested aimless headers - that he could easily bring down and pass out - that almost always end up going straight to the opposition.
This is annoying and I just don’t get it.

Classical Mechanic

and the chance Southampton should have scored from?
Obviously he's at fault for that. It was poor from Lindelof and Shaw too though. They were too close to each other and Lindelof was showing the Soton players exactly where he was going to pass it. Harry has no excuses for being slow to move the ball on though.

AFC NimbleThumb

Him being terrible isn’t an anomaly though, even though he has been a good/borderline great signing for us overall. He has these games from time to time.
If you notice, you’re now in a discussion of semantics rather than the actual topic.

It’s a blatant attempt by @Kag to subvert the conversation.

We all understand what an anomaly is yet we disagree on what counts as one but instead of defending Maguires poor performances, which aren’t as rare as a number of us would like them to be, we’re getting bogged down in definition.

I agree with @AFC NimbleThumb, he isn't as consistent as people tried to portray him after his injury.
Yep, when you actually look at the games he didn’t play towards the end of last season, the only game we conceded above our season average with Maguire in the team was against Pool.

Varane will be babysitting him &/or Lindelof.

His lack of pace & mobility become an issue in a number of games per season, particularly against teams that press whilst he walks the ball aimlessly into midfield for a sideways pass.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He was absolutely shite, but not worried. Think he'll be great alongside Varane
It's great he needs Varane as a partner to justify the £70 million we pissed away on him in the first place.

Classical Mechanic

The answer seems pretty obvious though doesn't it? Injured going into the Euros, played in the final so had little pre-season and then we had to cancel a pre-season game because of Covid. The whole team gassed after 75 minutes so him looking off the pace is little surprise. That he played from the start in the BCD friendly we had recently tells you that his fitness is not where it needs to be.

criticalanalysis

Really off game from him. Poor passing and concentration lapses. Hopefully he'll chalk it once Varane comes in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seems to take a good few games to get into his stride at the start of every season.

Andersons Dietician

2nd game in a row where he’s been wank. The pressure of Phil Jones return surely getting to him. He’s normally got quite a few errors in him that he gets away with but he just seems not match ready at the moment. hated Matic playing as a 3rd CB but given the amount of times he covered Maguire I’m glad he was.

Worst one was when he let the ball go past him unaware Armstrong or Che was right on him and he was oblivious to the fact he was there and Lindelof luckily managed to get across and stop it. Oh then there was the attempted block and what ever it was when he gifted a chance to Armstrong and DeGea bailed him out.

Hopefully gets his stuff together soon.

jem

He's been great for a long time, so willing to look past this game, which bore a strong resemblance to his bad performances in the first half of last season.

ti vu

He has a shocking game. What worries me more is Ole though. He doesn't have the courage to make big change during the game. Since Maguire was so bad, subbing him out and giving Varane debut couldn't have been worse. Yet Ole bizarrely persisted and Maguire getting dispossessed almost lost us the point and the away record. Captain or not, tough decision needed to be made. Shocking management.

Status
Not open for further replies.