Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPM#mufc

He had a slow start last season aswell and came good in the end. Give him a bit of time.

A-man

We are just seeing how average he is now we have Varane beside him
I see many with this opinion, but I don’t agree at all. Maguire last season was very good for the last 2/3 of the season and he was good in the Euros. Him looking bad now has nothing to do with his partner making him look average, it’s simply because he is bad at the moment.

EtH

I have no idea and captaincy is overrated as far as I'm concerned.
Fair enough. I don’t necessarily disagree. It is annoying when he is far from commanding in his play. The fact that he’s our captain should have no bearing on that annoyance though I suppose.

RedDevil@84

Who else should we give it to ? Genuine question.
Cristiano can handle it. Leave alone Maguire being slow and sometimes caught napping. The thing is he seems a very passive person all the time. If there is say a penalty shout or a foul on our player, he should be in the face of ref in seconds. Not necessarily fight and pick a yellow for dissent, but at least make your presence felt and make your point. He seems so laid back and wanting to not disturb the good relationships or something.

Last edited:

EtH

Cristiano can handle it. Leave alone Maguire being slow and sometimes caught napping. The thing is he seems a very passive person all the time. If there is say a penalty shout or a fouk on our player, he should be in the face of ref in seconds. Not necessarily fight and pick a yellow for dissent, but at least make your presence felt and make your point. He seems so laid back and wanting to not disturb the good relationships or something.
Yes he does need to show some urgency. He can be so passive even lackadaisical. It is frustrating.

RedDevil@84

Can't understand why anyone who saw the games after Maguire's injury at Villa would want Lindelof to start, unless you blame Bailly for all the terrible defending.
Wasn't CB a partnership? It seems only fair that Lindelof gets a chance to defend alongside someone who is better than Maguire and Bailly. He is the first backup choice.

nainaisson

Wasn't CB a partnership? It seems only fair that Lindelof gets a chance to defend alongside someone who is better than Maguire and Bailly. He is the first backup choice.
Regardless of how well Lindelof gets along with Varane, he's still going to get bullied and lose aerial duels against guys who are a foot shorter than him. It doesn't even matter if Varane and Lindelof can communicate telepathically.

RedDevil@84

Regardless of how well Lindelof gets along with Varane, he's still going to get bullied and lose aerial duels against guys who are a foot shorter than him. It doesn't even matter if Varane and Lindelof can communicate telepathically.
Maybe or may not be. I would definitely like to make sure that our 3 CBs can work together without too much drop in quality. And not make Maguire/Varane get overworked by playing game in game out. We did that with Maguire last season. Maybe he can handle it, but I think it is an unnecessary risk.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Seems I am the only one who thought he was the better CB yesterday. Pretty stable and did his job whereas Varane got caught out of position a few times and made some poor passes.
Of course the ceiling of what Varane can produce is higher as he is quicker and more mobile, but we know what Maguire is and what not so no surprises.

Idxomer

Seems I am the only one who thought he was the better CB yesterday. Pretty stable and did his job whereas Varane got caught out of position a few times and made some poor passes.
Of course the ceiling of what Varane can produce is higher as he is quicker and more mobile, but we know what Maguire is and what not so no surprises.
There was nothing stable about Maguire when he was getting bullied by Bowen on the ball and didn't know how to deal with his pace.

Varane misplaced 6 passes, the same as Maguire while making 45 more than him.

Classical Mechanic

Agree. If Maguire had played like Varane yesterday he would've been absolutely slaughtered on here. Varane turned his body into the shot for the West Ham goal which is a schoolboy error and increases the chances of such a big deflection. Varane was also flat footed on West Ham's other biggest chance where Vlasic hit it over the bar inside the box. Varane also played a terrible pass back to De Gea which went out for a corner. West Ham scored more goals from set-pieces than any other side last season so that was potentially costly. It's interesting how Varane's reputatution is making a lot of fans ignore all the mistakes he makes. I'm not slagging Varane here as I think centre backs in paricular are a victim of the microanalysing of player performances which has created an unrealistic standard in a lot of fan's minds.

That said, it has been a slow start to the season for Maguire. He could've cost us yesterday when he got caught on the ball but apart from a couple of hospital passes out of play in inconsequential areas he didn't do much wrong. It must be said that West Ham didn't threaten much in general though.

Last edited:

Lynty

I wouldn't say he's been poor. Just not up to the high standards we expect of him. I'm sure he'll get there.

At least AWB looks back to his best. De Gea also looking solid this season. Once the back line settles and McTominay regains full fitness, i'm sure we'll have formidable defence.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He was not really good yesterday, such as against YB or Southampton or Wolves. Didn t start the season well, but I think his duo with Varane is still not well connected. He ll be good with time. Just look at the end of last year, when he was not there we struggled so much.

Strelok

Let's be honest he was shite yesterday. Got toyed with by Bowen and missing 5 yard passes. That's not what we want from our captain and a £80m signing.

kthanksbye

He just looks heavy and whatever the opposite of being nimble footed is. How much time does he require to move his body or the ball in order to make a pass to the right side of the pitch?

We also need to ask what he's doing in midfield anyway.

Kramer

Maguire is a solid decent defender. Been off the boil a little in the last 2 games. But he’s a solid partner for Varane.

Varane is definitely a class above him. You can just feel it. So composed. His ball playing is also a couple of levels above Maguire. Comfortable with playing short and long balls with both feet. Moves it so much quicker than Maguire as well.

When Varane has the ball, you don’t know where it’ll go. He can pass to both flanks as well as play balls through the middle. With Maguire, there’s an air of inevitability about it just going to Shaw.

Revan

Assumptionman
I still think that he is better than Lindelof (although at the beginning of last year thought that them are equals), but I wouldn’t mind Ole benching him for a couple of matches to give to Varane-Lindelof a go.

What is clear though (and something I have been saying for a long time), is that he is nowhere near a world class player. It took Varane approximately 2 seconds to make clear the differences between a genuine world class CB and a good one.

Raven

Absolutely terrible yesterday, worst performance so far this season for him and he's not had a good game so far. He's a good defender though, really needs to capture some form before it starts costing us.

Andersons Dietician

Weird cause Maguire was caught out of position loads and mainly the main driving force of why Varane was getting caught out as he was covering Maguire who’d gone on a walk about.

TSE123

I personally dont think Maguire is a particularly good defender (he wasnt last season either), his strength is the physical side of the game which of course is important as a defender. Positioning, technically and passing he is average. He has been praised in English media (and by many supporters) because of his nationality and because its easy for people to understand the physical side to the game but more difficult the positioning side to defending. Having said that i dont think Maguire, Varane or Lindelof is the problem.

Uniteds problem last season and this season is the defensive side of the midfield. They are continuously caught out of position leaving CBs vulnerable having to run back along attack, rather than face them. (The best midfielder position wise is Matic - most of the time!)

Another weakness in defence last season and start of this season is Wanbisakas attack, meaning he doesnt make it back. ie. Slide tackling is what you do when you have lost position as a last resort. (He always slide tackles.) It also means that the centre back next to him - lindelof last season, varane this season - has to compensate and compromise their own positioning instead.

Strelok

I personally dont think Maguire is a particularly good defender (he wasnt last season either), his strength is the physical side of the game which of course is important as a defender. Positioning, technically and passing he is average.
This is a bit harsh imo. Surely he had a mare yesterday but let's not forget he's been immense for us the last two seasons.

He's a very good defender and he simply had a bad match. All players do. So let's move on I think.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This is a bit harsh imo. Surely he had a mare yesterday but let's not forget he's been immense for us the last two seasons.

He's a very good defender and he simply had a bad match. All players do. So let's move on I think.
Not sure about that, I think he is a good defender though.

yamo123x

He has been mega consistent and solid for us--- and has been instrumental in our improvement over the past few years...remember the days we had smalling Jones and Rojo etc... Maguire is a massive upgrade, rare he misses a game too..

However he does have the odd brainfart now and again and people are quick to jump on him when he does. He was sloppy at the weekend, i remember this well but when i watch the game back ive forgotten all the good defending he did.

Stadjer

Immense is a bit much dont you think? VVD has been immense for Liverpool, Maguire has been an improvement over the players we had at the time he joined but that is also because he isnt injured often and the other options werent the best.

He is a good defender, not a world class one or anything. He is big and strong but he will also always be slow and clumsy. However he can be a lot better than he was yesterday. He messed up multiple easy short passes and gifted West Ham a big chance.

Drizzle

A lot of revisionism in this thread now. After a shaky start last season he became one of the best centre backs in the league. Dominant, calm and progressive on the ball. Witness our collapse when he finally got injured at the end of the season. Also excellent for England too at international level.

He doesn't look match sharp yet to me, similar to the start of last season. Varane has looked classy so far but has still had some errors in him. Once Maguire gets going, his partnership with Varane has the potential to be one of the best in world football.

RedDevil@84

but let's not forget he's been immense for us the last two seasons.
Hyperbole much. There is nothing immense about him. He has made errors so many times. And his slowness has created quite a few worrying situations.
But it is ok for now. I don't think every defender should be some kind of a flawless man. The key is if the defense as a whole is able to handle the situation or not.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s had an absolutely catastrophic start to the season. Very nearly cost us a goal against Southampton & then I don’t know what he was doing yesterday. Somebody needs to tell him that he isn’t a playmaker. Why does he take a thousand touches before releasing the ball? Why does he dribble into danger in his own box so often? Needs to improve

He had a pretty good first season, a shocking first half of last season & a very strong second half of last season. Immense is a bit of an overstatement.

He makes an awful lot of unforced errors, even when he’s in form it’s a staple of his game. By all accounts he had a brilliant euros & yet there was still times where I was like “Harry what the feck are you doing”

Red Star One

I had my doubts about him but he proved to be a capable defender and whilst not world class I still rate him. Bad start of this season, but bar De Gea all our defenders look a bit shaky, expecting an improvement there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Would love to see a supercut of him lobbing the ball out of play on the left-hand side of the pitch, trying in vain to pass it to Shaw. He's almost made it a bit of a motif at this point. He seems to do it every week. Absolutely infuriating.

TSE123

Had United not paid what they paid for him, and had he not been England captain the criticism would have been much worse.

however, my point was not to blame Maguire - although i have spent about 18month forming my opinion of him -, it was that its not him, Varane, Lindelof - or Ronaldo or Sancho for that matter - who are the problem/solution.
The holding DM is missing. If United had someone like Kantè to control midfield, from which every other player on the pitch could position themselves, then United have a team to win trophies.

A-man

Can't understand why anyone who saw the games after Maguire's injury at Villa would want Lindelof to start, unless you blame Bailly for all the terrible defending.
Its not like anything collapsed when Maguire got injured. The match before he was injured, him and Bailly played one of the worst defences in human history against Roma away. After his injury, when we had secured top-4 and rotated the team, we played basically poor defence in one game against Liverpool but other than that?? Lindelof played the EL final where we conceded 1 goal in 120 minutes and then 1 goal against Fulham.
I don’t like the idea that someone is untouchable at a club like United. If he plays poorly for a while, try someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.