Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red4ever 79

The alternative would have been playing Bailly, so we still would have lost.
So why offer Bailly a new contract then. That's the absurdity of this club. If we would rather play a non fit Maguire than Bailly, then don't renew his contract. Jesus christ we are a shambles from board, to management, to playing

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The alternative would have been playing Bailly, so we still would have lost.
Such nonsense. Bailly did fine when he played that one game alongside Lindelof. It was easily better than the average Maguire performance this season. I'm sure Maguire will do better eventually, but rushing him back from injury was silly.

Oranges038

Didn't look at all fit. Shambles of a performance.

De Gea killed with that pass for the first goal. Shite defending for the second. Ball watching at it's finest.

lsd

The Oracle

De Gea killed with that pass for the first goal. Shite defending for the second. Ball watching at it's finest.

Because he is lightening fast when he is at his best :rolleyes:

I said it when we bought him and I will keep saying it till it sinks in. He is an absolute waste of money.

A very average defender who is slow and so weak positionally but gets by because he is English and says the right things.

It's been excuse after excuse for him and surely at some stage excuses have to stop.

Manny

Grammar Police
Such nonsense. Bailly did fine when he played that one game alongside Lindelof. It was easily better than the average Maguire performance this season. I'm sure Maguire will do better eventually, but rushing him back from injury was silly.
What game? Either way, "fine that one time" doesn't cut it and Bailly shouldn't even be at the club.

Oranges038

I said it when we bought him and I will keep saying it till it sinks in. He is an absolute waste of money.

A very average defender who is slow and so weak positionally but gets by because he is English and says the right things.

It's been excuse after excuse for him and surely at some stage excuses have to stop.
Never mentioned his speed. He just didn't look fully fit or comfortable out there at all.

I've felt the same as you, then I thought he looked like he was doing ok. But he has been poor enough this season, like you say, positonally suspect and slow on the turn. I don't ever really see him cajoling the back four, like you would expect from your captain and centre back or organising things around him or the players in front of him.

That and he is so slow on the ball to, 5/6/7 touches before he even thinks about playing a pass.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Ole’s obsession to play unfit players is weird.
Wasn’t he also hoping until the very last day last season that Harry could be playing against Villarreal, while in reality he wasn‘t even fit weeks after as Southgate only introduced him after the first two Euro games.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I simply cannot understand what he was at for the first goal.

It's not a matter of pace or fitness. Just step to the ball, one or two steps and you get to it first. He waited, waited, waited.........waited, waited and was intercepted. What the feck was he at? The Leicester player was in his eyeline. Just move, that's all, just move to the ball.

I can't remember a worse performance by a United player in 20+ years watching them. He did nothing right today.

Foxbatt

He was first to the ball and he took his eye of it and that was why he lost it. He had time to do anything he wanted.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I simply cannot understand what he was at for the first goal.

It's not a matter of pace or fitness. Just step to the ball, one or two steps and you get to it first. He waited, waited, waited.........waited, waited and was intercepted. What the feck was he at? The Leicester player was in his eyeline. Just move, that's all, just move to the ball.

I can't remember a worse performance by a United player in 20+ years watching them. He did nothing right today.
He does this sort of thing on a regular basis though. He's extremely lackadaisical and is often caught daydreaming. Look at the other week against Villa when he gave De Gea a hospital pass and we nearly conceded off it. He's not just physically slow, but he's mentally slow, too. He just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the game at a mental level.

I just stick by what I've always said about him. He's an above-average defender who's been elevated way above his ability due to the price tag and the fact that he was made captain when he came in.

tomaldinho1

He had plenty of time to just hoof it if he felt in danger. I’ve criticised him a few times since he came but today wasn’t on him, he looked half speed, and he’s slow anyway, and just well off in every decision.

EtH

And I thought watching Danny Rose earlier was bad…

Stacks

Let's not overblow this. He isn't a bad signing. He is a top top defender, among the best in the world and does produce 7/10 performance more often than not, despite some weaknesses. The issue is on his bad days, he is terribly bad, worse than Lindelof on his bad days as well (and just better than Bailly on his bad days) and gives a 2-3/10 performance
I have never felt he resembled a top top defender for us. He does the basics and is good at carrying the ball out but very robotic and stiff and I don't feel confident in him on one on ones. Sometimes dives in. Doesn't organise the defence or set pieces. We conceded more than Liverpool last season. He is just a good solid defender. Best in the world is crazy. I saw Bonucci go to one on one marking against Lukaku and do great. I would love Harry to have that kind of confidence/dominance to just say "he's mine" and take on their best attacker. I saw Rio take Eto'o in the past. Maguire seems to get pulled over the place and put on skates. He isn't even better than Woodgate or Ledley King. so lucky teams barely play 2 up front anymore and I would hate to see him against prime Fernando Torres. He wasn't fit today though and is clearly on bad form.

Revan

Assumptionman
Let's not overblow this. He isn't a bad signing. He is a top top defender, among the best in the world and does produce 7/10 performance more often than not, despite some weaknesses. The issue is on his bad days, he is terribly bad, worse than Lindelof on his bad days as well (and just better than Bailly on his bad days) and gives a 2-3/10 performance
He is decent but not a top top defender, and now one of the best in the world. Good enough to be the second/third choice in a top club though, but his worst is right there with some of the worst performances a professional CB can do.

He is also very easy to dribble past.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably his worst performance for us.

He didn't look good from the 1st minute.

Andersonson

Terrible performance. Maybe his worst ever for us.

He looked scared and the crowd really affected him.. ..

Worrying

Ole'sgunnarwin

The no-training excuse is nonsense. He's made a big brain-fart in literally every league match this season, this was only the second time he was punished. He's clumsy, he's awkward and he's hugely overrated. He's a massive problem, I'd have Lindelof over him and he's not much better.

arthurka

His passing isn't good, he lacks pace and he switches off. But he is our best defender. If I was Bailly I would ask for a transfer tomorrow. Ole should get hammered for this, abysmal from the manager.

AFC NimbleThumb

‘Didn’t look fit’, ‘The arrest impacted him’, ‘He’s playing next to Lindelof’. It’s one excuse after the other for this guy, he’s been underwhelming as a player but it’s a downright travesty he was made captain. Every player has a bad game from time to time, you can even have bouts of poor form but how can your captain [who also has never done anything of note in the game] hold teammates accountable when he’s one of the first names on the team sheet after some of the worst performances.

Yesterday was not an anomaly, he’s had a number of questionable games/moments since joining. We should never have allotted those funds on that player.

United in sin

Why is it that he never takes questions from the press after poor results? Shaw has taken the mantle a few times, and Pogba too. Coward of a captain

AFC NimbleThumb

Why is it that he never takes questions from the press after poor results? Shaw has taken the mantle a few times, and Pogba too. Coward of a captain
I asked this previously, whenever he’s had a stinker he’s nowhere to be heard or must say nothing print worthy but he was fronted as some great leader. Absolutely embarrassing we made him captain.

kundalini

The no-training excuse is nonsense. He's made a big brain-fart in literally every league match this season, this was only the second time he was punished. He's clumsy, he's awkward and he's hugely overrated. He's a massive problem, I'd have Lindelof over him and he's not much better.
I tend to agree with this.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To receive a ball you have to go towards the ball and you have to be aware who is pressing you. That's not a " lack of training" excuse. It's fecking incompetence.

United in sin

I asked this previously, whenever he’s had a stinker he’s nowhere to be heard or must say nothing print worthy but he was fronted as some great leader. Absolutely embarrassing we made him captain.
Absolutely embarrassing indeed. He wasn't even captain at his Liecester or close to it. How desperate have we become?

VictoriaRed

McT was flying for Scotland, but Ole decided to 'rest' him? Beyond me. Odd decisions. Maguire is a professional and most definitely should have played better. He's overrated, let's be honest. His give away killed us today; school boy stuff.

lex talionis

Unless it’s a cup final, you don’t play an unfit player, and even playing an unfit player for a cup final isn’t such a great idea. Horrifying decision by Ole.

Didn't realise just how bad he was for that 4th goal.

We're a shambles defensively - and especially at defending set pieces - and Maguire is an absolutely huge reason for both...which is mind boggling considering the one thing he does well is get his head on things (albeit completely aimlessly)

FatTails

Ole playing him for 90 minutes is just dumb at this point. Should have been off at HT
This is what bothered me. He doesn’t trust Bailly and gambled on Maguire, fine. But it was 1-1 at the break, Maguire at that point had been terrible, and you have a fit, £30m+, international CB, who is on considerable wages, sitting on the bench. If not now, then when are you going to use him?

always_hoping

By far his worse performance in a United shirt, caught day dreaming on the 1st and 4th goals and also at fault for the other goals. I seen William Prunier play better at centre back for United than Maguire in this match.

Red_toad

So when was his lack of pace exposed? We had 2 central defenders who don’t rely on pace and neither of them got beaten for pace by 2 quick strikers. Ball watching, lack of concentration cost us. Players need better coaching and a workable system. Then the team will look better. Ole too busy trying to keep everyone happy and it’ll never work!

United in sin

He's nowhere near being a top defender and isn't rated anywhere outside England. He's been hyped to death and so many have fallen for it. Our defense hasn't improved as a result of his signing. The excuse that he needed a proper partner to perform is not holding water because if anything he's having an even worse start to the season than last.

NoPace

Good job he doesn't play for this lot

Bit harsh. I think the keeper thought he tried a 'meg but he was just whacking it forward because he was closed down and didn't have time (or the skill level) to do anything else.

Saddy

He's a good defender and equally good on the ball BUT he lacks pace and therefore has to be fully fit and conditioned to reach his best potential - clearly yesterday he wasn't ready to play at this level and that's down to Ole when we had a fully fit Bailly that could have played in his place. Now I wouldn't trust Bailly over a fully fit Maguire !

All the talk about lifting his wages and tying him into an increased term is not going to be a good decision IMO - I don't see other top clubs coming in for him and offering this increased contract even though you would expect the peak years for a central defender to include 30-32 years of age. I just see that he will need replacing in the next 2 seasons and it will be another millstone round the club's neck like Martial and De Gea although we are seeing an improved De Gea but he's still on too much !

Maguire needs a lot of consistent playing time and the Maguire/Shaw defensive link will be the key position against Liverpool with Salah & TAA on fire - probably needs to play midweek to improve his game time but yesterday was one of the worst centre half displays I've seen at the club and the Leicester fans were ruthless showing zero respect for his time at their club which was sad to hear.

Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.