Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seems like squad is not happy that Maguire kept his place after his horror shows this season. And to be honest I don’t blame them. If what Maguire has served was done by any other player, he would be out of the team.

spiriticon

Just give Bruno the captaincy already so we can drop this guy for a while without needing to explain why the 'captain' isn't playing

SonyaCross493

Someone mentioned to me earlier that Maguire would actually play better without the pressure of the Captains armband, like he does for England.

I imagine any new manager would be ripping the captaincy off Maguire in one of his first decisions.. since Ole don't have the courage to do it.

I'd Give it to someone who can handle the pressure and has the experience of winning trophies and is vocal on the pitch.. like Ronaldo. Not sure if De Gea or Fernandes wouldn't have the same problem as Maguire, it becoming like shackles on them. We know Ronny can handle the pressure as he's Portugal Captain.

Chief123

When Maguire is fully fit and on form, he's a top class solid defender. The problem is when he's not in peak shape and just slightly off match fitness, he can look a really bad comical player. It's like he just has the 2 extremes.

Lyng

When Maguire is fully fit and on form, he's a top class solid defender. The problem is when he's not in peak shape and just slightly off match fitness, he can look a really bad comical player. It's like he just has the 2 extremes.
Maguire is decent when asked to play in a simple setup. As soon as you ask him to be part of progressive football his weaknesses are glaring. Hence why he is so good under Southgate. It's simple football.

TSE123

Crazy idea, he gets a chance and actually performs?
Hehe, no maybe not, but another few months pass before we are back to where we are today.

BUT even though im not a fan at all, he is not as bad as he has looked recently. With some structure, surrounded by players performing he could be ok (still my 3rd choice). He is strong and normally good in the air, BUT with a midfield as open as the grand canyon the strikers come running full speed at him, meaning he has to turn 180^ which is a huge weak spot.

YouknowNani

He doesn't have two extremes at all. He is poor or average. There's this absolute myth put out there by some that he was excellent last season or as you claim is 'a top class defender'. I've said this before, but really it's hard to name any performances where he's actually been very good.

Foxbatt

He started pretty well for us despite his price tag and last season he was one of the best players in his position and peaked at the European cup where he was outstanding. Take into account he had to play 95% of his games for United with Lindelof who is just a passive defender and can't impose himself on the game so Maguire often was a one man defence.

Strangely the drop in performance since the season started is so huge I can't believe he lost the ability to play football again. We have seen that in many top performing players last season playing week in week out, in all cup games too, dropping a level like Bruno, Shaw, Fred, Souček - only the players I watch regularly, and Bruno was overplayed long before the Euros started.On one hand it's the inevitable fatigue and on the other absolute lack of tactical knowledge from Solskjaer, obviously it didn't help to play 36 year old Ronaldo at the top, to have 0 pressing for the team to be all over the place so easily and being dismantled as a united.

So yeah I am sure he's gonna get back to his best because for two season he's been very consistent performer. We just need to sort out our coach and he needs to get back to his fitness, no surprise he was also so badin the last two games, rushed into games with limited fitness. It really can be seen.

Lastly some players mentality can't be as rock solid as it may seem, they can start losing their confidence when they see things are not going their way, and the manager change needs to be done asap, before permanent damage is done to some of these player's head.
when did ever United press and press properly? Never. So putting in Ronaldo is not going to make an iota of difference in the press. Bruno running around does not constitute pressing. Yes it is the coaching that is causing the huge problems but Maguire was never worth half the amount we paid for him. He is just a decent CB and nothing more.

AFC NimbleThumb

To all those ‘My Captain’ lot after he fecking organised a team dinner, this is the captain you asked for. The metrics to judge what is a decent performance from this guy has always been skewed, he’s a worse signing than Pogba.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
when did ever United press and press properly? Never. So putting in Ronaldo is not going to make an iota of difference in the press. Bruno running around does not constitute pressing. Yes it is the coaching that is causing the huge problems but Maguire was never worth half the amount we paid for him. He is just a decent CB and nothing more.
People still don't understand that football is a team game. Yes he had some horror shock weeks but he was outstanding pretty much the whole season, despite again playing as a CB alone there in a dysfunctional team unable to defend as a unit.

Well United never pressed properly in the last 10 years, and it was never a Fergie thing anyway, and the train has gone with it, unless we get a new manager who implement the nowadays standard, we will be leaking goals more and more because average manager can do it and teams around us have more money for better players who can hurt us.

Ronaldo is a luxury signing if there was one. obviously he won't help us to play that way but we still can balance that out or rotate properly to get much better at defending as a unit, but why should Maguire be at fault for the lack of team effort which results attack after attack being send towards our goal, cutting through like nothing...

Yeah blame him for his price tag again and prove your point every game we fail as a team. Drop Pogba in as well..

SAFMUTD

He'll be a player that excel in a low block system. I understand why Mourinho wanted him, he's tall strong good in the air but slow as feck.

He'll struggle under any progressive manager that wants to play on the front foot. Playing a high line will inevitably lead to him being exposed against fast players.

Also, he's on shit form. Maybe playing him without barely any training after his injury wasn't the brightest of ideas huh?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He'll be a player that excel in a low block system. I understand why Mourinho wanted him, he's tall strong good in the air but slow as feck.

He'll struggle under any progressive manager that wants to play on the front foot. Playing a high line will inevitably lead to him being exposed against fast players.

Also, he's on shit form. Maybe playing him without barely any training after his injury wasn't the brightest of ideas huh?
Is he slow?

I think once he hits his stride, his top speed is alright. Wasn't there some clip last season of him keeping up with Bailly in a foot race around the halfway line?

He's immobile and doesn't turn smoothly, I get that.

Irwin99

He's been a good/decent signing that's struggled with form on and off. Unfortunately he's going through a bad patch again, not helped by being rushed back from injury.

The decision to give him the captaincy was ludicrous though. Think he was pretty much captain straight away when Ashley Young didn't play :houllier: Welcome to the club...here's the armband.

SAFMUTD

Is he slow?

I think once he hits his stride, his top speed is alright. Wasn't there some clip last season of him keeping up with Bailly in a foot race around the halfway line?

He's immobile and doesn't turn smoothly, I get that.
He's clearly slow, his top pace may not be bad but his acceleration is awful.

At the end of the day I think acceleration is more important than speed.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Top speed is more important than acceleration when your argument is he can't play a high line because he's slow.

Red_toad

Not really for a defender, reading the game is far more important than pace. Harry rarely gets beaten for pace, his positioning isn't great at times and he's currently in poor form so as usual the vocal mob on here are pulling his game to bits. He was without doubt our best central defender last season, after a slow start.

Foxbatt

People still don't understand that football is a team game. Yes he had some horror shock weeks but he was outstanding pretty much the whole season, despite again playing as a CB alone there in a dysfunctional team unable to defend as a unit.

Well United never pressed properly in the last 10 years, and it was never a Fergie thing anyway, and the train has gone with it, unless we get a new manager who implement the nowadays standard, we will be leaking goals more and more because average manager can do it and teams around us have more money for better players who can hurt us.

Ronaldo is a luxury signing if there was one. obviously he won't help us to play that way but we still can balance that out or rotate properly to get much better at defending as a unit, but why should Maguire be at fault for the lack of team effort which results attack after attack being send towards our goal, cutting through like nothing...

Yeah blame him for his price tag again and prove your point every game we fail as a team. Drop Pogba in as well..
I do understand that it's a team game. And we have been shite in front of the defense. We got Maguire to play a high line but he is a player who is not very good in playing a high line. Having Greenwood, Rashford and Martial and Bruno in front doesn't help. It's not a problem of today.
When we are compact and defending deep he is good. When we try to play open he is not good. Certainly not the way we try to play.
He is also not very experienced in playing at this level. The pressure at United is entirely different to any other club.

el3mel

I can't be the only one who can't endure to hear or read anything this guy says? All his apologizing quotes feel so cringey.

RUCK4444

I can't be the only one who can't endure to hear or read anything this guy says? All his apologizing quotes feel so cringey.
At least he’s trying to own it and admits the players need to look at themselves as well.

The ones that hide are the ones that disgust me the most.

Smores

Anyone doing interviews now is doing it because they've told. They've also been told what to say.

Best to ignore them because they're not even genuine. Bit of a slap in the face to fans to be honest.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You don't get the feeling it effects him as much as the fans. Maybe some fans feel it but it's one of the reasons I said he needs to be replaced as captain. Fans want that connection with their captain, someone with cajones to fight for the club.

romufc

Its clearly PR only. It has taken a week for the captain to come out and say he is sorry and take responsibility?

None of them feel bad about the performance, it clearly showed on the pitch. None of the players had any fight in them, otherwise we would not see such a performance.

Its clear most of these players do not have the mentality to be winners.

Red Star One

At least he’s trying to own it and admits the players need to look at themselves as well.

The ones that hide are the ones that disgust me the most.
He’s the captain and he literally says the most cliche repetitive stuff. Do you feel like he’s the man to motivate the rest of the team, to take lion’s share of responsibility, to perform when others fall short? Maybe I’m expecting too much from the captain but it doesn’t help our case that the armband is on a guy completely out of form yet still always in XI (gosh, my captain shall always play, no?) and a lad that comes across as very uncharismatic.

SuperiorXI

He's always doing these types of interviews and other players too, "I'm sorry" blah blah.

They're just not good enough, it's a broken record. Sick of hearing it so I just scroll past the rubbish now. Do better and keep your mouth shut until then.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"I am only here because I have to be"
And? Do you think this new interview is voluntary?

He said he is sorry and took responsibility straight after the match, not that its really worth much, but it didn't take a week.

There's enough to complain and crticise about the team and the players right now, we don't really need to be making stuff up.

yamo123x

So much hatred and slagging Maguire off on here at the moment. Most of it uncalled for IMHO, he has had a few bad games like most of the players around him, he was thrown into the team unfit by his manager and all of a sudden he is a waste of money, waste of space, a poor captain etc.

He isnt the most mobile player, we know that, we didnt buy him for his searing pace. He didnt choose the price tag...that was the club.

He was an ever present for 2 seasons and prob had 2 or 3 bad games in that time...how many bad games has Bruno AWB or Rashford had in that time? All 3 of these have been atrocious in back to back games for long periods and pull out a wonder goal or a last ditch slide tackle and all is forgiven.

Removing his captaincy is not the answer, we need him to have a good run alongside Varane and give the guy a bit of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.