Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouknowNani

The turning on Maguire is frightening...let’s get this straight...I hate the guys face and his voice...he annoys me no end and his fake captaincy bullshit and apologising is really getting to me...

but form is temporary...he is easily one of the best centre half’s in the PL for the last 5 years and has been solid for us more often than not. I don’t think he should be the captain...I don’t think he is an automatic starter in other teams...but for us, he is one of the two best centre halves we have and needs to play when fit.

I’ll put my neck on the line, he will get fit again and he will be solid for us again and this thread - especially posts like this will be Embarrassing...If you can’t see he is a few yards off the pace then you must not be watching him play at all.That’s on Ole for not trusting Bailey or loaning Axel...he did the same bringing in an unfit McT earlier this season instead of trusting VDB and he did the same running a fuki nag crocked Rashford into the ground last season. All of those players have a place in our squad and shouldn’t be written off.

I mean it...I’ll see you all back here at the end of the season...and that’s coming from an Irishman who genuiney can’t stand Maguire little pencil tashed mouth open gawking at linesman face!
I disagree completely. I've not turned on Maguire, I never wanted him and have maintained he's not good enough.

He's not been solid for us more often than not, that's nonsense. His first season he was poor, with some ok performances here and there, he certainly never set the world alight. His poor to average form was put down to being a new signing/settling in. Second season, first half of the season he was utterly woeful and it was put down to the Greece incident. Second half of the season, admittedly he picked up form and this is the best he's played for us. Although again I don't think he was especially good, he was just making less obvious mistakes and putting in decent performances. Now this season, and he's back to being absolutely awful again. That's a poor first season, an awful first half to the second season, a good second half, and now a poor first third of his third season. That's what you call a player who's more often that not, poor.

You say he's a few yards of the pace. Yes he is, and he always has been, it's more apparent currently but he's never going to be good enough.

I won't be back here at the end of the season in favour of Maguire, he literally doesn't have the attributes to be a top centre back at this level. At some point he has to hit a bit of form yes, but who wouldn't when they are never dropped despite being the worst CB in the league for months. That slight improvement in form will again be very limited and short lived.

His robotic turning and snail like pace is only going to get worse with him soon coming into his 30s. His one decent attribute is heading and for some reason he doesn't seem to use that half as well as a defender as he does heading the ball as an attacker for corners. He's an awful player and an awful captain. I genuinely think he's the worst CB we've had as a regular first teamer in 10 years. Give me Rojo, Blind, Smalling, Evans, literally any of them over Maguire.

captaincantona

I disagree completely. I've not turned on Maguire, I never wanted him and have maintained he's not good enough.

He's not been solid for us more often than not, that's nonsense. His first season he was poor, with some ok performances here and there, he certainly never set the world alight. His poor to average form was put down to being a new signing/settling in. Second season, first half of the season he was utterly woeful and it was put down to the Greece incident. Second half of the season, admittedly he picked up form and this is the best he's played for us. Although again I don't think he was especially good, he was just making less obvious mistakes and putting in decent performances. Now this season, and he's back to being absolutely awful again. That's a poor first season, an awful first half to the second season, a good second half, and now a poor first third of his third season. That's what you call a player who's more often that not, poor.

You say he's a few yards of the pace. Yes he is, and he always has been, it's more apparent currently but he's never going to be good enough.

I won't be back here at the end of the season in favour of Maguire, he literally doesn't have the attributes to be a top centre back at this level. At some point he has to hit a bit of form yes, but who wouldn't when they are never dropped despite being the worst CB in the league for months. That slight improvement in form will again be very limited and short lived.

His robotic turning and snail like pace is only going to get worse with him soon coming into his 30s. His one decent attribute is heading and for some reason he doesn't seem to use that half as well as a defender as he does heading the ball as an attacker for corners. He's an awful player and an awful captain. I genuinely think he's the worst CB we've had as a regular first teamer in 10 years. Give me Rojo, Blind, Smalling, Evans, literally any of them over Maguire.
Right so...you’re hardcore and I respect that...I feel that way about a few players myself! But not maguire...yet.

lex talionis

I’m not anti-slabhead but I’m increasingly concerned about the persistence of his ridiculously poor form.

I’d like to see Ralf bin forever Ole’s game of playing favorites. If you play like shit, you gotta eat it.

Siezard

Are these genuinely supposed to be his highlights? There's mistakes all over the place, he makes the basics look a challenge. This is supposed to be a positive video showing how good he is and still he looks crap.
There's better videos out there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Are these genuinely supposed to be his highlights? There's mistakes all over the place, he makes the basics look a challenge. This is supposed to be a positive video showing how good he is and still he looks crap.
I like how right after Harry starts dribbling they cut the clip. Probably because he gave the ball away.
I really couldn't tell at the start if it was a serious video or a piss take, because the "epic" music combined with the average skill just makes it comedic.

redrobed

If it’s true that Chelsea are trying to appeal his ban (which I doubt is actually true to be honest) then it tells you everything you need to know about Macguire as a player. Not good enough.

Glorio

If it’s true that Chelsea are trying to appeal his ban (which I doubt is actually true to be honest) then it tells you everything you need to know about Macguire as a player. Not good enough.
If it's not true, how does it tell you anything?

A-man

Maguire proving that he's one of the best defenders.,.
Offensive skills can to some extent be judged from this type of compilations, but not defensive. The difference between the best defenders and the average is not what they do, but the mistakes and poor decisions they don’t make. I think Maguire this season is a good example of that as he has cost us goals because of mistakes, poor decisions and poor execution. A few nice tackles and won aerials don’t change that his season so far has been poor.

SER19

Doesn't say much that a makeshift defence looked more solid against the best set piece team in the league, and defensively generally, without him. Cant see him not being usurped by a better player next summer

Red_toad

Doesn't play and people still moaning about him. Carrick put out a solid team, Eric and Vic didn't really have much to do and Dave was the best out of the back 5 once more.

Last edited:

BainthaBrakk

Does play and people still moaning about him. Carrick put out a solid team, Eric and Vic didn't really have much to do and Dave was the best out of the back 5 once more.
Eric and Vic did not have much to do? Beg to disagree.

Jaykespeare88

Only really caught the second half, but judging by that he won't be missed, would be a travesty if he comes straight back in.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Doesn't say much that a makeshift defence looked more solid against the best set piece team in the league, and defensively generally, without him. Cant see him not being usurped by a better player next summer
We conceded 24 shots (2.5xg) with 3 CMs in front. One thing we didnt look is solid.

Sylar

Whilst hes been poor, the decision was so so bad by Ole to throw him back v Leicester when he clearly didn't look ready and not hooking him at half time
And then continuing to use him

A-man

Doesn't play and people still moaning about him. Carrick put out a solid team, Eric and Vic didn't really have much to do and Dave was the best out of the back 5 once more.
What is “not much to do”?
Lindelof 9 clearances, 1 interception, and 2 blocked shots
Bailly 6 clearances and 2 tackles

That’s pretty busy to me.

InfiniteBoredom

What is “not much to do”?
Lindelof 9 clearances, 1 interception, and 2 blocked shots
Bailly 6 clearances and 2 tackles

That’s pretty busy to me.
And we still conceded 24 shots with 6 on target on top of that.

We got battered, it wasn’t a Leicester of Watford result only because Chelsea was incredibly wasteful.

A-man

And we still conceded 24 shots with 6 on target on top of that.

We got battered, it wasn’t a Leicester of Watford result only because Chelsea was incredibly wasteful.
They were wasteful but tbh they didn’t create many good chances and in the end it took a cheap penalty for them to score.

Robaldo

If it's true that the players have revolted against Ragnick before he's started because drops smelly farts in the changing room (which I doubt is actually true to be honest) then it tells you everything you need to know about Ragnick as a manager. Not good enough.

JeffFromHK

We conceded 24 shots (2.5xg) with 3 CMs in front. One thing we didnt look is solid.
out of 2.5xg, 0.8 came from the penalty
and it was still better than 2.76xg against Watford

it is a fact that maguire disorganizes our defence with his bad positioning and charging

red4ever 79

We did defending our box. Absolutely.
Agree with this. First time I have watched us in a long time and felt calm with Lindelof and Bailly. Head and shoulders above anything that Maguire has produced this season. Yes we conceded opportunities, but we looked very solid defending our area.

Unfortunately Maguire will walk straight back into the team next game at our friends club

Rajma

As much as I dislike him, I think RR can utilize his best qualities in his system (being aggressive and tight with attacking players when they try to escape the press via long ball). I think Lindelof is going to struggle as he’s generally too passive, weak and not dominant in the air.

Andersons Dietician

As much as I dislike him, I think RR can utilize his best qualities in his system (being aggressive and tight with attacking players when they try to escape the press via long ball). I think Lindelof is going to struggle as he’s generally too passive, weak and not dominant in the air.
Yeah but how does that work when they just bypass the press and knock it long in behind? Lindelof is better on the cover and has decent speed whilst not being as bad as the CAF makes out in the air Sure he is no Maguire there but I’d rather have someone with some pace than just someone good in the air.

Rajma

Yeah but how does that work when they just bypass the press and knock it long in behind? Lindelof is better on the cover and has decent speed whilst not being as bad as the CAF makes out in the air Sure he is no Maguire there but I’d rather have someone with some pace than just someone good in the air.
If it goes over the heads of defenders that is going to be for GK to deal with in many cases in high pressing systems. Also, once Varane is back I think he’ll act more of the speedy sweeper himself. Let’s see though I might be totally wrong.

Andersons Dietician

If it goes over the heads of defenders that is going to be for GK to deal with in many cases in high pressing systems. Also, once Varane is back I think he’ll act more of the speedy sweeper himself. Let’s see though I might be totally wrong.
I don’t think you can rely on your keeper to cover that area as regularly and it’s not something DeGea is great at. Personally currently I’d go Varane and Lindelof. Varane is quick but not quick enough to cover both sides of the pitch if it happens.

Rajma

I don’t think you can rely on your keeper to cover that area as regularly and it’s not something DeGea is great at. Personally currently I’d go Varane and Lindelof. Varane is quick but not quick enough to cover both sides of the pitch if it happens.
It’s something that DDG will need to get comfortable with as most top GKs are doing that in their teams or he’ll be left out imo.

YouknowNani

Only one goal conceded from a very unlucky penalty against the currents best side in the league. Says it all. They would have run rings around Maguire if he'd have played. He's simply not agile enough to deal with the typical premier league attacker. Put him up againt an Andy Carrol type player and Maguire would probably be brilliant but any attackers with pace, quick feet and mobility and Maguire is screwed. P.S. there's almost no Andy Carroll type attackers left in the league.

Maguire is the worst CB in the first team squad and should sold.

Long Time Red

Only one goal conceded from a very unlucky penalty against the currents best side in the league. Says it all. They would have run rings around Maguire if he'd have played. He's simply not agile enough to deal with the typical premier league attacker. Put him up againt an Andy Carrol type player and Maguire would probably be brilliant but any attackers with pace, quick feet and mobility and Maguire is screwed. P.S. there's almost no Andy Carroll type attackers left in the league.

Guardiola supposedly wanted Maguire and we outbid City for him so I really don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's being made out to be. Pique is slow but has been good enough for Barca for the past 13 years.

It's also worth remembering John Stones looked like bambi on ice at times before Guardiola polished him up into a top class defender. Kyle Walker used to make terrible mistakes on a regular basis before Guardiola coached that out of his game.

Maguire like a lot of the other underperforming players who are targets for criticism McTominay, Fred, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Rashford etc should be given the opportunity to show what they can do with some proper coaching before being considered not good enough.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I'm not even bigging up Maguire - but Chelsea did run around rings our CB'S yesterday.

The only reason they struggled a bit is we were more compact as a team with lots players like Matic, Bruno, Fred, Sancho and Mctominay - energetic players that stopped them doing everything with ease.

YouknowNani

Guardiola supposedly wanted Maguire and we outbid City for him so I really don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's being made out to be. Pique is slow but has been good enough for Barca for the past 13 years.

It's also worth remembering John Stones looked like bambi on ice at times before Guardiola polished him up into a top class defender. Kyle Walker used to make terrible mistakes on a regular basis before Guardiola coached that out of his game.

Maguire like a lot of the other underperforming players who are targets for criticism McTominay, Fred, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Rashford etc should be given the opportunity to show what they can do with some proper coaching before being considered not good enough.
Not one of the players you mentioned have ever been as bad as Maguire. Pique is hardly slow, in comparison to Maguire, and even if he were, his movements are fluid and he can turn unlike Maguire who appears to have the turning circle of a square.

I'm sure he will be given a chance at some point under the new management but I don't think he'll every be good enough and us persisting with him his because he's a favourite/the captain is costing us points.

Oranges038

Guardiola has a shocking record when it comes to signing defenders so that doesn't really mean anything.

JeffFromHK

The most concerning thing about Maguire is that he seems to be quite being used to being part of leaky defences:

Man Utd 2021-2022: League position 9th, Defence being 15th best so far
Man Utd 2020-2021: League position 2nd, goals conceded 44, being 5th best in the league
Man Utd 2019-2020: League position 3rd, goals conceded 36, being 3rd best in the league
Leicester 2018-2019: League position 9th, goals conceded 48, being joint 7th best in the league
Leicester 2017-2018: League position 9th, goals conceded 60, being 16th best in the league
Hull 2016-2017: League position 18th, goals conceded 80, being by far the worst in the league

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

I think Lindelof and Bailly have earned the right to stay together for the next game, but I am not so sure I would be taking this from that game.

Odoi, Werner and Rudiger should have all scored from pretty straight forward chances. We were very fortunate to come away with a point when you watch those chances back again.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Maguire proving that he's one of the best defenders.,.
He was really good in the second half of last season so it’s not really a commentary on his performance rather that his style, but he’s really not made for highlights compilation. Even when he does everything right when you cut the action out and add this energetic music it looks hilariously clumsy and awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.