Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asger

Adds nothing to the discussion
Maguire can be standing beside Oblak for all I care. You are just looking for reasons to blame him. There were 3 Atletico players and 3 United players in the 18. Verane was marking Telles and Dalot had nobody. Can you imagine what would happen if Maguire was in Veranes spot marking Telles? TheCaf would go into melt down
Ok, your just proving you don't know anything about football. Best for you would be to find another sport to follow.

Asger

Maguire got hooked over Varane because we were about to start throwing bodies forward and Varane is a much better 'recovery defender' than Maguire because of his speed.

What I see in Varane and Maguire is two good CBs who would be fine anywhere else, suffering for the dysfunctions of a poorly performing side. There's no hiding place at CB in a poor side, it really is a thankless task, especially in a side that is scrutinised to the nth degree like United
Maguire has never proved to be good unless having two centre backs with him. And people are always praising him for playing for the National team! It means nothing to be solid there. If it was the case many players form Iceland '16 would have went to bigger teams. Even our best centre back that scored against England in Nice went to Fulham and was terrible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This is how I saw it too. Less that Maguire stepping up is inherently bad, more that it was effectively an individual defender doing one thing without the others reacting appropriately. And, crucially, it was a repeating fault. At that point I don't particularly care which of the two you primarily blame, it has become a collective issue.

Though I did generally think Maguire looked shook all game. He's really had a woeful season and if he starts next season as either captain or first choice CB then he'll be a very lucky man.

TSE123

He's not bad, and many are looking to him as the problem, but he wasn't today. The biggest case from him was a moment where he stepped out of the defence and two Atletico players got behind him and ended up confusing themselves, so he got lucky.

However, many are seemingly looking to him as the biggest problem.
I guess he's synonymous with our team at the moment. Overpaid for very average and limited players. Making him captain has put even more emphasis on him.

He's a decent defender. He's not awful, but he's not good either. He has severe mistakes in him, and would be starter for a midtable team. That's it, mid table. He is not anywhere near the level of a CL winning club player, nor Manchester United, who are trying to win trophies and failing dismally.

He has unwillingly become a representative of the club's failures in recent times. So, to an extent, he has become a scapegoat. He's become a scapegoat by the decision makers who signed him and immediately promoted him to captain of the club, which he has not earned nor shown to be anywhere near their level.

However, to throw hatred at him for all our failures is just ludicrous.
Here follows a list of some examples of Maguires faults last night.
1. i lost count how many times he headers the ball straight up or to opposition. Sure, he wins the header…
2. His positioning is poor.
3. He is incredibly slow (physically) and to compensate has to either fall deep to early or step up (which probably is part of the reason of 2 above).
4. His decision making is poor which means he steps up at the wrong times (combined with his utter lack of pace (see 3 above) it is a disaster). This is what happened on the goal. He stepped up to win a ball by half way line. Didnt win the ball. Left a gaping hole the size of greenland behind him which varanes striker ran into pulling varane out of position completely. Dalot had to follow to close the gap between him and varane; leaving a the space behind him open for Lodi.
5. On many occasions he passes the ball out to throw in.
6. When the ball comes to him in the air, he could bring the ball down, calm play down and build up attack. Instead he panics and headers it straight up.
7. When he gets pressured with the ball at his feet he panics and yesterday he at least twice but DDG in a difficult spot, leading to losing the ball.
8. His complete lack of confidence is contagious.
9. Because of all above, the midfielders and telles have to compensate and support him in a ridiculous way (a bit like babysitting).

there is more, but not enough time to write a complete list.

Reactions: Fortitude

youmeletsfly

At times he looked shaky, scared to receive the ball. Also, at times, the Lukaku/Bruno-esque pointing around and complaining came about. I really don't like these two from a captain, no matter he's called Maguire or Ricky Dickinson.

In regards to his performance, it was the usual and I'm not even mad about him anymore. He's just a player that cost a shit ton and "has to play" for the club not to recognize the massive mistake they make.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Anyone defending this lump now is just wumming. Now it’s the medias fault for maguire playing like a bag of manure? I’ve heard it all…
Indeed, it has to be wumming or he's one of their fave players for some reason, I don't know. Just a little recap:
  1. When our defence started to perform badly under Ole, people said it was Lindelof's fault. They said Maguire needed a better partner. Then Ole signed Varane and he's still making the same mistakes that he has done. His form even dipped
  2. When Maguire made a mistake, they are quick to jump on De Gea, who was also at fault but ignoring Maguire's obvious and glaring mistake
  3. If not De Gea it's an "systematic" error, whole backline needs to do better
Sometimes it can't be helped. People just like a player so much that they're going to blame anyone BUT the player. When the new manager comes and implements a certain playstyle, my guess is when Maguire makes a mistake, it will be because he is still not used to the setup, so we need to give him time, and after that get a better keeper, might as well buy a new RB and LB while we're at it. Gone are the days when you can just buy a quality defender, play him and he will perform at least decently. We need to replace everyone else too. He was replaced by Söyüncü at Leicester and I don't think they missed him at all. They are happy with those money. Says it all really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This is how I saw it too. Less that Maguire stepping up is inherently bad, more that it was effectively an individual defender doing one thing without the others reacting appropriately. And, crucially, it was a repeating fault. At that point I don't particularly care which of the two you primarily blame, it has become a collective issue.

Though I did generally think Maguire looked shook all game. He's really had a woeful season and if he starts next season as either captain or first choice CB then he'll be a very lucky man.
That really stood out. He was shitting himself from minute one. The way he defends it’s absolutely essential he’s on the front foot and full of self belief. Stepping out of the back four to win the ball and making progressive carries and passes. Take away that confidence and he’s a total liability. I think it’s possible there’s a quality CB in there, as part of a well organised defence with a top class assertive GK holding it all together. Playing with the chuckle brothers at fullback and dithering Dave in nets is a recipe for disaster. As we’ve seen.

Ollie Derbyshire

He has to stop jumping out the line and trying to nick the ball away, he fails pretty much every time and leaves massive holes behind him, like for the goal yesterday. Needs to be smarter or replaced.

Classical Mechanic

The thing is that if Maguire wasn't instructed by management to press the ball, which he does a lot, then he would get dropped. People seem to be confused as to why he keeps getting selected, coming up with daft conspiracy theories but I'm guessing that in situations like this Maguire is doing what he's being asked to do.

The reason why we don't see the Lindelof - Varane partnership, which so many CAF members seem to see as the solution, is because neither really like to press the ball which invites more pressure on the goal and has a net negative effect.

If we consider the goal last night then the big error is Elanga. He doesn't track his man which allows the overload on Dalot.

The offside goal looked more messy and Maguire's positioning may have been a crucial error.

Water Melon

He has to stop jumping out the line and trying to nick the ball away, he fails pretty much every time and leaves massive holes behind him, like for the goal yesterday. Needs to be smarter or replaced.
he can not be smarter. He knows that if he gives an attacker some time to receive the ball, he wil be skinned. So, by his logic, he needs to make sure that attacker loses the ball before he touches it. Horrific defender to have for a team that wants to play a high defensive line.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
If only he was new and not an experienced Captain, I'd be tempted to give him another year so he can be smarter.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember when I used to have my heart in my mouth seeing Silvestre take the ball to feet. I never realised that was the golden age.

Maguire on the ball is panic inducing.

Alejandro Angel

Holy f***, yu guys are seriously blaming Maguire for a goal scored from a cross from a wide player, to the far post of another wide player and then trying to say you aren't scapegoating Maguire? Give your head a shake. People are just looking for reasons to blame him now
You are delusional, everyone has an agenda and poor old Maguire, I want him to do well but he is not performing, and making the most mistakes which lead to goals.
Plenty of posters have shown you the evidence of his mistakes better than I could but you just attack everyone saying that he has been appalling bad. I think we know who needs to give their head a shake.

Marwood

There is only going to be pressure playing for United especially in a season where a title challenge is expected. He isn’t the right player
Probably not but he's better than this and if he can get back to what he was, it's one less immediate problem that needs solving.

I'm hoping the summer break, new players, a fresh coaching team, can at least get him back to being the confident, assured player we signed. Even if the other issues with pace etc are still there.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Feck it, sell him sell him sell him, he's a disaster waiting to happen, he's shit and should be no were near the team dressing room let alone be our captain.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
How long does ones form have to be poor for it to be considered their true level? He’s clearly not made the step up since his move here no matter how much people try to portray him as something he’s not. Kleberson once had a good World Cup for Brazil too. He’s mid table at best. Just a huge bag of nerves who can’t handle playing for the club. Probably our worst ever signing based on fee.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I don't think he was particularly dreadful last night, but it was about his level which clearly isn't good enough. I know captaincy and fee are not his fault but he is Man Utd's worst ever signing. Ironic that Solskjaer dumped Fellaini straight away but has left us with Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. He needs to leave, for his own sake as much as the clubs. They won't sell their asset though but hopefully Rangnick advises next manager to pick a new captain at least.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
With the season basically over I'd take him out of the firing line now. See who everyone blames instead when we're still losing.

Jinn

Harry is not physically suited to playing on the front foot or playing a high line.
He is not quick enough or agile enough to play this type of football. He's best quality is probably heading which should be the basic tool for any CB.

No need to insult the guy. He just cannot play the way we would want our CB's to play. We need a replacement who will keep him on the bench and then natural thing for him will be to ask for a transfer.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
With the season basically over I'd take him out of the firing line now. See who everyone blames instead when we're still losing.
Are you saying hes not at fault? Because thats what it looks like.

Taking one shit player out of the team and still losing doesnt point to the fact the he is not part of the problem. He is meant to be the best defender and he is garbage.
If the team hasn't got a better option to replace him with then thats indicative of the real issues at Man United.
Maguire on his own isnt to blame, he on is own just isnt good enough but then none of them are, but drooping Maguire and still losing wont make mean he isnt still not good enough for this level

RonaldoVII

Will probably get lost in here but he's clearly being told to press high and follow the player he's marking when they drop deep. It's been a clear change in our setup that both CBs do so but it's easy to exploit when a team has runners from midfield and Maguire not having the pace to get back in. I'm not saying he's faultless but we're playing a tactic that doesn't suit him at all and it's frequently costing us.

Leftback99

Are you saying hes not at fault? Because thats what it looks like.

Taking one shit player out of the team and still losing doesnt point to the fact the he is not part of the problem. He is meant to be the best defender and he is garbage.
If the team hasn't got a better option to replace him with then thats indicative of the real issues at Man United.
Maguire on his own isnt to blame, he on is own just isnt good enough but then none of them are, but drooping Maguire and still losing wont make mean he isnt still not good enough for this level
He's been poor but the scapegoating of one player has gone way over the top now.

JB7

He's been poor but the scapegoating of one player has gone way over the top now.
Nonsense. I'd wager if we take him out of the team we'll never concede a goal again as every single goal we concede is traced back to a Maguire error somewhere by folks on here. We'd be an impenetrable force.

Leftback99

I agree but I dont think anyone is escaping a basing these days - and also not everyone is the captain.
Someone has to be captain, let's face it we still don't have an obvious long term alternative. Bruno isn't it.

Steve Bruce

It's not scapegoating one player though.

AWB, Shaw, McTominay, Rashford, Fred etc etc have all been criticized massively.

Scapegoating would be if Maguire does nothing wrong and gets the blame. He does a lot wrong in most games this season so he's getting the blame.

He also is the captain, he's supposed to lead this team. He would show more leadership if he relinquished the band and give the responsibility to someone else so he can concentrate on improving his own performances.

Steve Bruce

Someone has to be captain, let's face it we still don't have an obvious long term alternative. Bruno isn't it.
Right now the short term isn't great. Give the band to Ronaldo. Maguire isn't long term he's 29 and isn't good enough

DickDastardly

The thing is that if Maguire wasn't instructed by management to press the ball, which he does a lot, then he would get dropped. People seem to be confused as to why he keeps getting selected, coming up with daft conspiracy theories but I'm guessing that in situations like this Maguire is doing what he's being asked to do.

The reason why we don't see the Lindelof - Varane partnership, which so many CAF members seem to see as the solution, is because neither really like to press the ball which invites more pressure on the goal and has a net negative effect.

If we consider the goal last night then the big error is Elanga. He doesn't track his man which allows the overload on Dalot.

The offside goal looked more messy and Maguire's positioning may have been a crucial error.
You honestly believe that?
It's not the fact that we payed 80 million pounds for him? And made him a captain of the club?

I don't think there are any daft conspiracy theories going on, it's pure human behaviour.
You want to make yourself believe you made the right choice. It's actually very hard acknowledging to yourself that you fecked up.
And we fecked up - first by buying him, second and more damning to us - making him the captain.

Lindelof is actually far better at the pressing then Harry is.
He actually know WHEN to press, and he sometimes even gets the ball!
Unlike Harry who presses only for the pressing sake. He doesn't even try to take the ball. And he's usually too late and unsycned with the rest.

That really stood out. He was shitting himself from minute one. The way he defends it’s absolutely essential he’s on the front foot and full of self belief. Stepping out of the back four to win the ball and making progressive carries and passes. Take away that confidence and he’s a total liability. I think it’s possible there’s a quality CB in there, as part of a well organised defence with a top class assertive GK holding it all together. Playing with the chuckle brothers at fullback and dithering Dave in nets is a recipe for disaster. As we’ve seen.
Let's not make any excuses for the captain.

He's the one who should set the example. And i don't mean on Instagram.
Every game starts the same for us. We are either on the back foot from the start, or we become shit once our captain fantastic shits the pole.
And that's usually in the first 10 minutes of the game.
He either underpasses a simple pass or makes a silly turn and gets needlesly pressed.
Which ever way, he's reckless and the team is suffering from it.

He's not making anyone around him a better or a calmer player.

Lentwood

How do you think he compares with the likes of Stam, Ferdinand or Vidic? Or even Bruce, Pallister and Johnsen?
Well, the first thing I will say is I was 10 when Stam played in the 1999 Champions League final for us, so can't really claim to be able to offer a real opinion on him as a player. I know he was labelled a massive flop by the press after we got destroyed 0-3 by Arsenal on his debut, but he eventually shook that tag off to be regarded as a good player. That being said, we were a much, much better side then, so again, hard to say.

Ferdinand and Vidic was my era. This was when I was most engaged with football, going every week etc....I would say both players were better than Maguire. Ferdinand in particularly was an absolute Rolls-Royce. I loved Vidic, but I felt Rio would be as good in any team with any partner, whereas I think it suited Vidic to have Rio beside him.

I do wonder how Vidic would have gotten on in this United side, especially with our ill-advised/poorly executed efforts to play 'progressive' football. Vidic wasn't quick, and like Maguire relied on hitting opponents hard and earlier to avoid being exposed. We saw what happened when a quick, nippy player got about Vidic on a couple of occasions vs Torres. I was at that 1-4 defeat at OT and believe me, Vidic's performance that day was worse than anything I have ever seen by Maguire.

So, yeah, before the idiot-brigade get my point confused, I am not claiming Maguire is better than Vidic, I am just saying I think Ferdinand was probably the best CB I have ever seen, and Vidic had the benefit of playing next to him AND in a very successful side. So it's not strictly a like-for-like comparison.

Bruce and Pallister not worth comparing. Football was basically a different sport then. CBs sat 30 yards from their own goal and headed/kicked/tackled anything that moved in-front of them. Both great players of a time I am sure, but I think comparisons are pointless.

I think it's always important not to make comparisons in a vacuum, and to understand the context in which a players' form/ability is being evaluated. I could say, for example, that Bruce was never capped by England, and Pallister was never a regular, whereas Maguire is selected every game. It wouldn't be a perfect comparison because we can debate the relative strength or weaknesses of England's CB options, but you could (I stress *could*) question how good Bruce could REALLY be to be NEVER capped by England. Again, before my time, and who cares, he won titles at United and was a key player - but again, I stress, in a much better side.

I think it's much more relevant to compare current players. For example, a poster said earlier Maguire was "Championship standard", which you would think there is objective evidence against. Since there are about 30 English CBs playing regularly in the PL and Maguire is selected above all of these for England, you would think probably fair to say, subjectively, that that is a stupid comment. Likewise, some people say Maguire isn't top 4 standard. Again, why not compare with other players who do play for top four clubs regularly (or clubs in that region of the table). Maguire is selected above Stones, Dier, Coady and Ben White for England. Again, someone else's opinion (a qualified football manager) is that Maguire is better than these players.

Dolf

Imagine being Bailly or Lindelof and you see Harry eff up match after match yet you’re the one rotting away on the bench… i’d put in a transfer request.

Fluctuation0161

Maguire is a decent defender who is horrendously out of form. Unfortunately this period has exposed his Achilles's Heel and that can never be rebottled - he will be targeted by quicker more mobile forwards from now on.
He should continue to have a decent Premier League career but he's no VVD or Dias and if we have plans on becoming competitive again he needs replacing asap (as does AWB).
He should go back to an aspiring mid table team, without the immense pressure of United, and hopefully he could regain some form and credibility - both of which he's currently lost.
His lack of pace exposes the defence time and time again. This definitely will have had a big impact on his confidence.

He plays well in a deep defensive line, sitting back. Ask him to play a high line or press and he will crumble.

He is not suited for a team who want to play anything other than counter attack or defend deep at all costs.

I'll be glad when he no longer plays for us.

Him as captain is a joke. But seeing Bruno getting emotional recently I don't know if he is the right choice either. We have no natural leaders.

Lentwood

It's kind of pointless making sensible comments, but I agree. I tried to explain this to a poster after the Spurs game. Most PL sides now play with one 'focal point'. In the old days, we just used to call this a 'centre forward', but it's a slightly different role now, think Kane at Spurs or Firminho at Liverpool. The idea being, either hit this guys feet and let him bring others into play, or use this guy to drag one CB out of position, leaving holes for the wide forwards to run into.

Now, this shouldn't be news to anybody. I am not a football anorak nowadays. I am not unveiling some great truth about the game. However, this fundamental basic is lost on many. Why was Maguire engaging Weghorst vs Burnley? Why was Varane criticised for not engaging Kane vs Spurs? Why did Maguire engage Greizmann last night? It's because they are told to! If they don't that player can simply drop between the lines and pick up the ball at will in dangerous areas.

If we did some kind of RedCafe watchalong I'd love to point out to the many, many critics how many times Maguire successfully steps-in and it's ignored. We're so outcome-orientated it's untrue. You understand with the Burnley one, he'll get some criticism because it doesn't look great when you've been turneed. However, last night, Maguire wasn't even turned/beaten and he's still getting pelters.

Status
Not open for further replies.