Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roux

It's just not though is it. The weakest link is quite clearly the player who is very good at one aspect of his job but is statistically the worst player in the league the two of the other main aspects of of his job and bottom third level at the other critical aspect. The final crucial aspect of his game in terms of communication is non-existent too but there is no statistical way to measure that.

People can say what they like about Maguire (and this goes for any of our defenders frankly) but he's not the worst centre back in the league (or even bottom half of the league level) in any aspect of his game, such certainly not the fundamentals such as tackling, heading, passing, intercepting & communicating. And that's despite him having a dreadful season.
Im basing this on my observations - watching him and current/past centre backs around the world. It's just my opinion - i personally think his reading of the game and ability to sense danger are very poor - along with basic traits like positioning and mobility, no idea what the stats are on this or where he places - but those are just my observations since he joined us and even when he was at Leicester.

miked99

Maguire's had a bad season for sure, but still not as bad as it's made out in this thread. There are people just waiting for him to misplace a pass so they can bump the thread. Every tiny thing is pounced on and any positive contribution is completely ignored.

Can his form recover? Not sure. But sometimes a manager can transform a player. Look at Rudiger under Lampard, he was so so bad. He looked an absolute shambles. Look at him now. It's impossible to imagine it's the same player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That's because people are discussing united based performances in here bringing England to it is not really relevant, he has also been shocking at times there too.
He hasn't though other than one game (the red card). But again, more of people looking for the bad. Amazing though how when you put a proper DM and keeper who does more than just make saves, all of a sudden Maguire is world class. Hmmm

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This is your evidence? what about the last 60-70 games for United?!!!

If we go by this, Lukaku is one of the best in the world!
50-70 of which he had a handful of poor games. The rest is nothing more than scapegoating. But go on, tell me more of your own original thoughts that you didn't just repeat from what others said

Roux

50-70 of which he had a handful of poor games. The rest is nothing more than scapegoating. But go on, tell me more of your own original thoughts that you didn't just repeat from what others said
Far more than a handful for me - the entirety of this season really... - try and put together a compelling argument for once. Your posts are just mindless, childish drivel.

Lentwood

Roy Keane thinks Maguire is shit. Does his opinion hold weight with you as much as Rooney's? Vidic and Rio don't particulary rate him either and have both voiced their concerns
We don't know whether any of these players rate Maguire or not, they haven't discussed Maguire individually at length as Rooney did on MNF

Regardless, that's not my point. I'll make my own mind up on players. I'm highlighting the double-standards i.e. whenever a player criticises Maguire its conclusive proof for some he must be crap, but when he's praised or continually selected by England and United, people disregard that or come up with conspiracy theories

Lentwood

Far more than a handful for me - the entirety of this season really... - try and put together a compelling argument for once. Your posts are just mindless, childish drivel.
So....I challenge you to answer one, simple, straightforward question....

If Maguire has been as bad as you (and the Twitterati) make out, and has been chucking in terrible performances for "the entirety of the season", then why hasn't he ever been dropped? For United or for England?

My answer is that he hasn't been that bad and both Southgate and Ralf know England and United are far better with Maguire than without.

I await your answer....

Roux

So....I challenge you to answer one, simple, straightforward question....

If Maguire has been as bad as you (and the Twitterati) make out, and has been chucking in terrible performances for "the entirety of the season", then why hasn't he ever been dropped? For United or for England?

My answer is that he hasn't been that bad and both Southgate and Ralf know England and United are far better with Maguire than without.

I await your answer....
I've already answered this and quite clearly i think:

And this is exactly why we find ourselves in the dire position we are in - doing the same things and expecting different results. 2 managers now have played him and payed a heavy price, im hoping Ten Hag is astute enough to bring in a new CB to replace him and move him on - it remains to be seen, but going by the rumours - i wouldn't be surprised if he brought in a new CB.

What i love about Pep and Klopp is they are ruthless and that ruthlessness has made them very successful managers. If a player was in the kind of form Maguire was in for 4/5 games they would drop them and in many cases look to move them out the club - and just when you think they have a good CB pairing, they go even further by bringing in even better players (i.e Dias for Laporte and Konate for Matip) - they don't seem to settle for anything less than perfection. Of course we need to strengthen other areas - but for me, CB is vital, things went up a level when they brought in VVD and Dias and even with Chelsea - Rudiger has been colossal.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It does when I replied directly to a person who said "Maguire has been shocking for the past 18 months". This proves that he has not been
I actually agree Maguire has been one of the best CB in Euro 9 months ago. But he is also probably the worst CB in PL over the past 8 months or so.

Lentwood

I've already answered this and quite clearly i think:
So, your answer is that Rangnick isn't ruthless?

Which is interesting, because he's had no issues dropping club legend Cristiano Ronaldo or local hero Marcus Rashford....

My counter to that is Rangnick is ruthless and picks Maguire because we're better with him than without him.

Just like Pep would pick him for this United side and so would Klopp, although that of course is my opinion

romufc

I actually agree Maguire has been one of the best CB in Euro 9 months ago. But he is also probably the worst CB in PL over the past 8 months or so.
He has been bad but that implies that every other CB at the club is worse than him?

I note that when Ole kept playing him, it was favourites FC so that was a way to get at both.

Ralf comes in and gives everyone a clean slate, ends up with almost the same team Ole picked, including Maguire.

If he is the worst CB in the PL but starts ahead of Bailly, Lindelof, aren't they the worst?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has been bad but that implies that every other CB at the club is worse than him?

I note that when Ole kept playing him, it was favourites FC so that was a way to get at both.

Ralf comes in and gives everyone a clean slate, ends up with almost the same team Ole picked, including Maguire.

If he is the worst CB in the PL but starts ahead of Bailly, Lindelof, aren't they the worst?
I don’t know, I lost count on how many games from him this season where I could only rate as 1/10 or 2/10 in performances, especially when he did something particular stupid which cost us goals/points. I am not sure I have seen another defender giving so many poor performances in a season.

romufc

I don’t know, I lost count on how many games from him this season where I could only rate as 1/10 or 2/10 in performances, especially when he did something particular stupid which cost us goals/points. I am not sure I have seen another defender giving so many poor performances in a season.
So bottom line is you think you know better than professional coaches?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t know which professional coach think he is good this season. Bottom line is, I think he has been a joke of a defender this season. I think many would agree.

romufc

I don’t know which professional coach think he is good this season. Bottom line is, I think he has been a joke of a defender this season. I think many would agree.
I can actually name 4.
Ole, Carrick, Ralf, Southgate.

I guess you have more badges than them.

hobbers

I can actually name 4.

You think any of those managers honestly think Maguire has had a good season?

It's their jobs to back him but they're not blind idiots.

romufc

You think any of those managers honestly think Maguire has had a good season?

It's their jobs to back him but they're not blind idiots.
Well it is quite obvious they rate him. I have my reasons that back it up.

Ole kept starting Maguire - People say he is favourite and doesnt have balls to drop him. OKay.
Carrick played him - people say he was Ole's boy. Okay.
Ralf keeps picking him too - Whenever he is available he starts, ahead of Lindelof, Bailly.
Southgate keeps picking him ahead of other PL CB's.

I mean it is quite obvious they think he is a good player, or else he wouldn't play.

Ralf came in and decided AWB, Martial, Rashford are not playing well, or didn't rate them, go have a look at their minutes compared to Maguire who always starts.

Roux

So, your answer is that Rangnick isn't ruthless?

Which is interesting, because he's had no issues dropping club legend Cristiano Ronaldo or local hero Marcus Rashford....

My counter to that is Rangnick is ruthless and picks Maguire because we're better with him than without him.

Just like Pep would pick him for this United side and so would Klopp, although that of course is my opinion
Not ruthless enough no and like i said - i think it's why i think we find ourselves in this dire state.

Just my opinion of course and we both have no idea what he really thinks - he might thinks he's amazing or bang average.

Irwin99

I'm confident he'll come good under a new manager and hopefully enjoy a fresh start under Erik. The defence will be part of the rebuild (and dear god please let us get some good fullbacks) but I don't think Maguire, Lindelof and Varane are terrible choices for a manager to have. Get the full backs and the midfield sorted and hopefully the defence will look stronger.

The more I dwell on it though the more unbelievable the captaincy decision was in terms of putting ridiculous pressure on a guy who had just signed for United for 80 million. Just why would you do that? And before anyone else says "who else would you have picked", literally anyone who had been at the club longer than 5 minutes would have been more appropriate. It's not his fault obviously but it must be a further burden.

Roux

Not sure what kind of response this is? You don't need to be a FIFA qualified manager to make an assessment of someones game. And just because 2/3 managers have selected him - doesn't mean people who don't rate him have a void opinion and that's some sort of justification for why he's a great player. None of these managers were successful with him in the team baring Southgate - who doesn't have 40 odd games a season like he does with his club team - one got sacked, and our current manager has us hanging on to 7th and out of every competition - those are the two managers that have worked with him the most.

romufc

Not sure what kind of response this is? You don't need to be a FIFA qualified manager to make an assessment of someones game. And just because 2/3 managers have selected him - doesn't mean people who don't rate him have a void opinion and that's some sort of justification for why he's a great player. None of these managers were successful with him in the team baring Southgate - who doesn't have 40 odd games a season like he does with his club team - one got sacked, and our current manager has us hanging on to 7th and out of every competition - those are the two managers that have worked with him the most.
Its in a response to someone saying he is the worst CB in the league. Yet keeps getting picked over every other English CB and CB at United.

Bottom line is FIFA qualified managers are making an assessment that he is the best CB the club and country have got.

Well, you do realise that we haven't been successful for a very long time, that means we should be labelling every single player at the club the same level as Maguire, because none of them have had success.

dutchred

Can't see him surviving under Erik. He can't play high on the pitch and if he does he's not quick enough to recover especially as he is so slow to turn. I can see Erik using Varanne and Lindelof, but of course it depends on who we buy and how fit Varanne and Lindelof can stay

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Your assessment is very binary- Maguire can only either be considered shit or great in your view.
In reality he's more a steady player in a horrid run of form that has destroyed his confidence. You seem to think any manager who picks him must think he's Cannavaro and Vidic rolled into one.

You say no manager had success playing him barring Southgate, neglecting Utd finishing second and making a European final under Ole. Not the success we aspire to, but nor does it indicate he's a millstone round any team's neck that will condemn them to scrapping for seventh.

But Pep, who wanted him, and Klopp would've binned him after five games according to a scenario in your head that you somehow deem a clear explanation of how managers have failed to drop him.

Get a new hobby.

Roux

Its in a response to someone saying he is the worst CB in the league. Yet keeps getting picked over every other English CB and CB at United.

Bottom line is FIFA qualified managers are making an assessment that he is the best CB the club and country have got.

Well, you do realise that we haven't been successful for a very long time, that means we should be labelling every single player at the club the same level as Maguire, because none of them have had success.
Well none of them are great either and Varane and Bailly are constantly injured - so we don't really have a choice, it snot like Ole or Ralf have 4 world class CB's to pick from.

That's just not how it works - there is obviously a priority list in what we need to be fixed, for example Bruno is less of a concern than Rashford. That ist is going to be different for everyone, whether you are manager or fan.

romufc

Well none of them are great either and Varane and Bailly are constantly injured - so we don't really have a choice, it snot like Ole or Ralf have 4 world class CB's to pick from.

That's just not how it works - there is obviously a priority list in what we need to be fixed, for example Bruno is less of a concern than Rashford. That ist is going to be different for everyone, whether you are manager or fan.
Yep, we dont know what ETH will want to fix first but I guarantee the CDM position is higher than Maguire.

Roux

Your assessment is very binary- Maguire can only either be considered shit or great in your view.
In reality he's more a steady player in a horrid run of form that has destroyed his confidence. You seem to think any manager who picks him must think he's Cannavaro and Vidic rolled into one.

You say no manager had success playing him barring Southgate, neglecting Utd finishing second and making a European final under Ole. Not the success we aspire to, but nor does it indicate he's a millstone round any team's neck that will condemn them to scrapping for seventh.

But Pep, who wanted him, and Klopp would've binned him after five games according to a scenario in your head that you somehow deem a clear explanation of how managers have failed to drop him.

Get a new hobby.
We need a consistently great center back. Steady or horrid form of not - just isn't working out. Second and a losing final in a Europa game isn't success imo - and since then its got even worse this season when Maguires been ever present.

I honesty think they would have done exactly that - which is evident by by how both Pep and Klopp have managed their own center backs over the last few seasons who were underperforming. Binned and replaced - even ones who were deemed good like Laporte. This is the mentality we need, unfortunately we have settle for average at best.

Last edited:

Roux

Yep, we dont know what ETH will want to fix first but I guarantee the CDM position is higher than Maguire.
It might be - it might not, only ETH knows that. Rumours are a CB is on the cards - there's room to fix more than one position. He might absolutely love him and keep him captain, and as i've said before - if he's able to reach any sort of success then i will hold my hands up. But i can only see him keeping this form or getting worse.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
We need a consistently great center back. Steady or horrid form of not - just isn't working out. Second and a losing final in a Europa game isn't success imo - and since then its got even worse this season when Maguires been ever present.

I honesty think they would have done exactly that - which is evident by by how both Pep and Klopp have managed their own center backs over the last few seasons who were underperforming. Binned and replaced - even ones who were deemed good like Laporte. This is the mentality we need, unfortunately we have settle for average at best.
Maguire hasn't been ever present and has been dropped this season.

Matip and Stones have been at Liverpool and City years, both having long spells not in the team when out favour, Stones in particular. Your conviction that Klopp and Pep ruthlessly sell underperforming CBs doesn't hold up to even flimsy scrutiny.

We know our recruitment has been shocking. Will be interesting to see what positions ETH prioritises.

Roux

Maguire hasn't been ever present and has been dropped this season.

Matip and Stones have been at Liverpool and City years, both having long spells not in the team when out favour, Stones in particular. Your conviction that Klopp and Pep ruthlessly sell underperforming CBs doesn't hold up to even flimsy scrutiny.

We know our recruitment has been shocking. Will be interesting to see what positions ETH prioritises.
Magure has the most minutes in the team along with Bruno.

Yes - they were dropped or moved on, either way they were not in the 11 when underperforming. Pep in particular has been through god knows how many CB's in a short amount of time... ask yourself why that is and come back to me with this flimsy scrutiny nonsense - he upgraded and upgraded. This should be our approach. Their most recent signed CB is their best defender since Kompany and currently one of the best in the world.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Its clearly picking the part of last season where his form picked up. And he wasn’t on of the best in Europe at any point whilst at United. That includes his best periods of form too.

Last season he had an average season. A poor start and then picked up. The table at the end of the season makes things look alot better than they were. We often came back from behind to win games and at home didn’t pick up many points again partly due to conceeding unneccesary goals (Maguire was a part of that)
I probably wouldn't go so far as to say that he was one of the best in Europe myself, but at the time most seemed to agree that he was the second best central defender in the PL for the second half of last season (behind Ruben Dias). Now obviously that was with VVD being injured so that would have dropped him another place, but he was actually damn good for that period.

Maguire's time with us over the full three seasons has been very inconsistent. But if I'm going to slate him for his terrible form for the first half of this season and the first couple months of last season, I'm going to be fair and say that he actually was very good for the second half of last season. We all thought that he'd finally stepped up into the role and was going to be the dominant defender that we'd been hoping to see, but...well, that obviously hasn't happened as he completely collapsed this season.

United in sin

His point was about posters picking and choosing which pundit to believe based on what suits them. It's not about Rooney necessarily being right.

Your point about the Roma game. It's one game. Those saying(includes me) that we struggled defensively without him are using that entire spell of games. You're countering it with one game. Does that sound reasonable? I don't think anybody is saying we've never struggled defensively with Maguire. The point is that we've seen that back 4 without him for a prolonged spell and it got worse.
It wasn't just one game. Maguire and our defense as a whole weren't doing that well before he got injured against Villa on May 9. In the period after we beat Southampton 9-0 leading up to Maguire's injury in that 3-1 loss to Villa Maguire started 11 league games and we conceded 18 goals. That's of course not including the 3 conceded against Villa and the 4 against Roma in both legs of our EL games both which Maguire also started. Our defense was leaky and his form was dire

Last edited:

Marwood

It wasn't just one game. Maguire and our defense as a whole weren't doing that well before he got injured against Villa on May 9. In the period after we beat Southampton 9-0 leading up to Maguire's injury in that 3-1 loss to Villa Maguire started 11 league games and we conceded 18 goals. That's of course not including the 3 conceded against Villa and the 4 against Roma in both legs of our EL games both which Maguire also started. Our defense was leaky and his form was dire
Are you sure?

Just had a look and it seems to me we conceded 9 league goals in that period. Which included games against City and Chelsea. Clean sheets in both those games.

And we beat Villa didn't we?

You're definitely the first I've seen to call Maguire dire in the latter part of last season.

After he got injured we lost the next two. Drew at home to Fulham, scraped past Wolves with a crap display and then obviously the Europa Final.

Last edited:

JB7

Literally making things up to fit your point isn't fair. We conceded 9 goals in those 12 games. No idea where you've got that we conceded 3 goals in the 3-1 win at Villa either.

United in sin

Are you sure?

Just had a look and it seems to me we conceded 9 league goals in that period. Which included games against City and Chelsea. Clean sheets in both those games.

And we beat Villa didn't we?

You're definitely the first I've seen to call Maguire dire in the latter part of last season.

After he got unjured we lost the next two. Drew at home to Fulham, scraped past Wolves with a crap display and then obviously the Europa Final.
Literally making things up to fit your point isn't fair. We conceded 9 goals in those 12 games. No idea where you've got that we conceded 3 goals in the 3-1 win at Villa either.
You're both right and I stand corrected. I misread the results as I was looking at them. We did beat Villa and City

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You're kidding right? I've posted stats and backed my arguments up with facts. You're entire argument is "because i said so" or more likely "because others told me to think that way".

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He hasn't though. Has he had some rough patches? Definitely. The entire team has. But our problem hasn't been conceding. Our problem has been at the other end of the pitch (especially since Ralf took over where we have scored more than 1 goal only 6 times in 22 games). We rarely Sure, if you look at the table it's going to look bad with 42 goals against in 31 games, but a large chunk of those goals came in 4 games (City 4-1, Liverpool 5-0, Leicester 4-2 and Watford 4-1). 4 games where I agree, Maguire was dreadful (as was the rest of the team). Take away those 4 horrible games and those 17 goals and all of a sudden 25 goals against in 27 games isn't all that bad (should still be better though). And all this without a proper keeper or DM. Imagine City without Ederson and Rodri or Liverpool without Allison and Fabinho. This is why for me, our most important positions that need to be addressed are a DM and a keeper who can do more than just make saves

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I can actually name 4.

Do you know them well personally? Did they ever tell you Maguire is having a good season?

In fact by ranking every players with game time in order, there would be worst rated player who plays a lot of games too, do your think coaches with badges rated them all just because they played them?

Following your line of logic, there won’t be any worst player in the league afterall, as everyone of them are good players, just because their coaches let them play, regardless of their performances. You know what, you are just not making any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.