Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ship him off anyway anyhow. Unfortunately given we wouldn’t be able to recoup 20% of the fee we paid for him he will be here stinking it up next season.

Dansk

The 2021/2022 version of Harry Maguire is an actual imposter, and I wonder if anyone has any leads on the kidnapper, and who is playing in a Harry Maguire skinsuit?
It's clear that whatever happened in Greece shattered him mentally.

Dominos

If he'd cost the same as Lindelof, woudl there be any argument who is better?

I'm with the posters saying he get's another season. There's a quality player there, and hopefully ETH takes the captaincy from him so he can just focus on doing his job defending.

Look at the comedy gold that is City's defenders when they're left exposed. No one looks good in that situation. We have - honestly - the worst central midfield in the premier league. It is unpredictable, unreliable and hugely inconsistent. Any back 4 would look crap behind it. Then combine that with a sh*t show from our full backs - again Dalot/Telles is probably the worst pairing int he league - and what do we expect?
The issue is you don't have 100% control in football.

Look at the amount of times Konate, Matip and VVD have to defend 1v1, get dragged out into the channels, or have a 50/50 race for a ball played in behind the defence. You'll see it very often. They just have centre backs with the attributes to deal with those situations more often than not.

Maguire even in the form of his life will never be able to deal with leaving space in behind, getting dragged into the channels and defend 1v1. It's beyond his physical capabilities. To play with a high line, aggressive pressing and attacking full backs means playing with risk, and you can't find a worst profile of defender for that style of football than Maguire.

Dominos

It's clear that whatever happened in Greece shattered him mentally.
That was at the start of 20/21 season believe it or not so nothing to do with what's happened this season. He recovered from the Greece incident last season and was ok-ish in Ole's pragmatic risk-averse style of football.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He can’t play in our setup. We have a GK glued to his line, no DM and awful FBs. Very hard for a slow CB to perform in that context.

With a more proactive GK and a better screen in front of him, Maguire would look like a different player. Will we get the chance to see that? Not a clue, but I would like to, as I think DDG holds us back as a team.

Foxbatt

The issue is you don't have 100% control in football.

Look at the amount of times Konate, Matip and VVD have to defend 1v1, get dragged out into the channels, or have a 50/50 race for a ball played in behind the defence. You'll see it very often. They just have centre backs with the attributes to deal with those situations more often than not.

Maguire even in the form of his life will never be able to deal with leaving space in behind, getting dragged into the channels and defend 1v1. It's beyond his physical capabilities. To play with a high line, aggressive pressing and attacking full backs means playing with risk, and you can't find a worst profile of defender for that style of football than Maguire.
Yes he got sold a dummy a couple of times yesterday and then got dragged out wide by Gallagher and committed an unnecessary foul too. Just because Lindelof had a terrible game doesn't mean Maguire was good.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly, it would be better if the players didn't post anything until we win our first game next season. No one want's to hear from any of them right now

Mcking

He is a fine defender who just had a terrible season. I'm confident he will be much better next season.

TOKUGAWA-X

Now that ETH called Maguire "a great player", lets see the reaction of some supporters.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now that ETH called Maguire "a great player", lets see the reaction of some supporters.
"Great player AND captain".
I will not lie to you, what ETH said about Harry scared me a lot. I hope it is just standard first interview diplomacy....

Bobski

The big argument against Harry Maguire prior to this season was that he was a poor header and scoring threat. As a defender he was for the most part, very reliable.

The 2021/2022 version of Harry Maguire is an actual imposter, and I wonder if anyone has any leads on the kidnapper, and who is playing in a Harry Maguire skinsuit?
I can't agree, thought his lack of mobility was always a major issue, that he needed far too many touches before moving the ball and lacked real leadership capability. I couldn't care less about his goal threat, 2-4 goals a season from a CB is perfectly fine, it is what he got at Leicester, anyone expecting significantly more needs to rethink their expectations.

Much of his pre Utd hype was based on those eye catching charges forward with the ball, which were always going to be a gimmick when he stepped up a level.

Abraxas

I mean, he didn't really give a definitive answer, did he? It was a politicians response. No upside to getting into critique of the player in the media.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I will not lie to you, what ETH said about Harry scared me a lot. I hope it is just standard first interview diplomacy....
I told everyone this was coming.

EtH will love Harry just like Blind. I can't believe people are shocked at this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Who should be captain instead though?
I said many times; for me David de Gea should be a captain. What Solskjaer did to him was great injustice and bad move.
I know that many disagree with me and have their opinion why not (which i respect) but yeah, Dave should be a captain and Bruno vice captain.

Main 2 reasons against Dave are that gk can't be captain and that Dave is not vocal enough. For me, both those reasons are false.
Many gk were excellent captains (Buffon, Iker, Lloris, Kahn...) and as Keane (i think it was him, don't hold me for this) once said; captain doesn't need to be someone who will yell on players during game or speak with the ref. Captain must be respected in changing room. And Dave has that i think

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I said many times; for me David de Gea should be a captain. What Solskjaer did to him was great injustice and bad move.
I know that many disagree with me and have their opinion why not (which i respect) but yeah, Dave should be a captain and Bruno vice captain.

Main 2 reasons against Dave are that gk can't be captain and that Dave is not vocal enough. For me, both those reasons are false.
Many gk were excellent captains (Buffon, Iker, Lloris, Kahn...) and as Keane (i think it was him, don't hold me for this) once said; captain doesn't need to be someone who will yell on players during game or speak with the ref. Captain must be respected in changing room. And Dave has that i think
De Gea is likely to be exposed and heavily criticised if we play how Ten Hag wants, either that or not in the team at all. Bruno isn't captain material, far too erratic with garbage like yesterday. I'm all for a change but the options are terrible.

Lyng

De Gea is likely to be exposed and heavily criticised if we play how Ten Hag wants, either that or not in the team at all. Bruno isn't captain material, far too erratic with garbage like yesterday. I'm all for a change but the options are terrible.
Ronaldo is the obvious choice.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I am not that shocked about keeping him as a player. But as captain...please no
I think we'll see a change in the captaincy, and rightfully so. If we land de Jong then my money is on him. Ronaldo if we don't.
Just like blind? Wheres the link?
Slow CBs who could be viewed as risky in high pressing teams. EtH will look past that and appreciate their on the ball qualities, which are very similar.

NewYorkRed

I think we'll see a change in the captaincy, and rightfully so. If we land de Jong then my money is on him. Ronaldo if we don't.

Slow CBs who could be viewed as risky in high pressing teams. EtH will look past that and appreciate their on the ball qualities, which are very similar.
Harry’s qualities on the ball similar to Blind’s? Yikesss.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Lool blind and maguire? Similar on the ball qualities??

Harry maguire has a good long pass and shot. Nothing more.

Leftback99

Ronaldo is the obvious choice.
Another who might not be in our starting line up next season to play how Ten Hag wants. I doubt he'd want the behind the scenes extra responsibilities either.

Lyng

Another who might not be in our starting line up next season to play how Ten Hag wants. I doubt he'd want the behind the scenes extra responsibilities either.
You honestly believe there is bigger chance of Maguire in the starting than Ronaldo?

Ronaldo is doing a lot behind the scenes already. Helping the youngsters etc. He has been a true captain for us this season.
I hope Maguire can be a useful defender under Ten hag, but he should NOT be our captain.

Leftback99

You honestly believe there is bigger chance of Maguire in the starting than Ronaldo?

Ronaldo is doing a lot behind the scenes already. Helping the youngsters etc. He has been a true captain for us this season.
I hope Maguire can be a useful defender under Ten hag, but he should NOT be our captain.
I think (and hope) at nearly 38 he'll be rotated more often yes, which obviously he'll a have a strop about. Once the first choice back 4 is set it won't change much other than injuries.
Maguire doesn't always do interviews after defeats, I bet we'd never see Ronaldo.

Just let the players vote for whoever and then its one less thing for them to complain about anyway.

lsd

The Oracle

I don't recall him saying that. He said he did a great job and then refused to confirm he would stay captain when directly asked

Red For Ever

Thought he would be better just keeping quiet.

Sure he will be a much better player next season
But not sure that will be good enough for United to challenge for anything

united for life

He can’t play in our setup. We have a GK glued to his line, no DM and awful FBs. Very hard for a slow CB to perform in that context.

With a more proactive GK and a better screen in front of him, Maguire would look like a different player. Will we get the chance to see that? Not a clue, but I would like to, as I think DDG holds us back as a team.
we surely need better screening in front of our defense and I agree a weakness in DDG is him not coming out enough, but to indicate that DDG is holding us back (and indirectly saying holding Harry back) is wrong in my opinion. DDG have cleaned up after Harry several times during the season and has saved the team on multiple occasions. The GK position is the least of our worries at the moment.

harry has not earned himself the right to be a regular starter, not to mention the captain. He has a lot to improve especially around his sense of awareness of what is happening around him. At times, he seemed completely clueless for someone who is supposedly leading our back line

Dempsey19

ETH was hardly gonna start slating players in his first ever interview. 1 or 2 training sessions and he will be fed up of Maguire. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.