Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

By all accounts ten Hag is very happy with Maguire as club captain. The player has conducted himself very well and is a good influence in the squad.

He alongside Bruno are our main leaders in my eyes

Still baffles me so many fans advocated that child Cristiano to be captain last year..Pogba before then :houllier: ffs

Man Utd 2:0 Nottingham Forest

Sylar

I dont know why it makes me laugh to see him run on the pitch as a sub and first thing he looks for is the armband (although it took him about three minutes to get it today)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I dont know why it makes me laugh to see him run on the pitch as a sub and first thing he looks for is the armband (although it took him about three minutes to get it today)
Deffo has a touch of the John Terry’s behind it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Comes on and we suddenly look a lot worse and that's because he offers for the ball about twenty yards deeper than Licha or Rapha. Also is very static and when doesn't pass the ball first time - like ever.

Jericho

Didn't do anything wrong tonight, granted it was the perfect game for him to come into.

Almost every time he gets the ball he takes an extra second on it and you can hear a collective groan in the crowd. Whenever he gets the ball I'm always worried he's either going to hold on to it too long or charge up the pitch with it and get himself into trouble. He didn't do either tonight tbf. I still don't think he fits in here, but if he is going to be playing then hopefully he continues to iron out these mistakes from his game. Just keep it simple and move it along.

Wing Attack Plan R

Didn't do anything wrong tonight, granted it was the perfect game for him to come into.

Almost every time he gets the ball he takes an extra second on it and you can hear a collective groan in the crowd. Whenever he gets the ball I'm always worried he's either going to hold on to it too long or charge up the pitch with it and get himself into trouble. He didn't do either tonight tbf. I still don't think he fits in here, but if he is going to be playing then hopefully he continues to iron out these mistakes from his game. Just keep it simple and move it along.
At 5-nil up we could have raffled off a ticket to the home ground to come on for the remainder of the game and done just as well. He's an asset that isn't being used, so we should convert that asset (sell).

Sylar

Deffo has a touch of the John Terry’s behind it.
It's funny cos we had a set piece and you see him more focused on putting the band on rather than concentrating on trying to attack it :lol:

It just makes me laugh, and I'm not sure why.

Stig

I've seen the comments above; and although he came on for the last few minutes in a game we couldn't possibly lose I thought it was the most confident I have seen him play for months.

I think his passing was quicker, more forward and more decisive than I have seen it before. I'm not saying he's suddenly world class but clearly, for me, that was his best few minutes for a long time.

Revaulx

I've seen the comments above; and although he came on for the last few minutes in a game we couldn't possibly lose I thought it was the most confident I have seen him play for months.

I think his passing was quicker, more forward and more decisive than I have seen it before. I'm not saying he's suddenly world class but clearly, for me, that was his best few minutes for a long time.
Definitely. Someone’s obviously had a word with him.

RopersReturn

He didn’t put a foot wrong and looked sharper and less sluggish on the ball. He’s no doubt had time to reflect and subsequently put more effort into training which will hopefully boost the asking price a bit when we sell him this summer.

Oranges038

There was one last week, he had his touch and could have fired it out to AWB down the wing first time, but nope decides to take 10 more touches and pass it sideways. If he could play 2-3 touches with a bit of pace he might be ok, he just doesn't have any urgency about him.

He's way too slow for the game in a top team. Always has been, looks better for England because international football is slower.

Can't wait to see the back of him.

foolsgold

He looks less error prone than last season, although this is almost certainly because he has a world class defensive midfielder in front of him.

I think we all recognise that his time here is coming to an end, he must too and I think he's made his peace with it.

We've got a crazy fixture list and if he's content to see out his time here as a rotation option / sub then I wish him well and hope he leaves with a medal or two at the end of the season.

NoPace

Ten Hag being a good manager might be best summed up by him immediately signing a quality LCB who quarterbacks a lot of our play on the ball, moving Maguire to the right side and figuring out that he has real value as a late-game defensive Fellaini aerial option and not falling out with the player or reducing his value significantly until he can be sold in the summer and a younger (probably cheaper once wages are taken into account and some cash-rich mid table side like Villa buying Maguire) replacement brought in and given a pre-season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Kuddos to Harry who is calm all this time and always being professional when needed. He's a good egg.

FriedClams

I think both Maguire and lindelof deserve credit for their responses at essentially being told they aren’t good enough to start anymore. No dressing room leaks, no indication that they are throwing the toys out the pram, both of them look engaged in the bench and happy to celebrate when we score/win and they don’t contribute… and when they do come on, they are putting in decent performances. They simply have one of the best defensive partnerships in world football to try and break up, which won’t happen, but I admire both their attitudes all things considered.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Agreed. I don't banter him anymore cause he's took his medicine with dignity though I don't get the armband thing. I hope ten Hag addresses that next season.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah I think he's been very professional about being dropped.

I think it's fairly clear if we can find a buyer who will pay a decent fee we'd be happy to sell, I think he's accepted his Utd career is coming to an end but fair play he's going about it with dignity.

Yes coming on with 5 minutes to go and getting the armband is a bit silly but whatever, he's not sulking, he's not leaking stuff, he's not giving interviews to Piers Morgan. If wearing the armband makes him feel better then it's not really a big deal.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah I think he's been very professional about being dropped.

I think it's fairly clear if we can find a buyer who will pay a decent fee we'd be happy to sell, I think he's accepted his Utd career is coming to an end but fair play he's going about it with dignity.

Yes coming on with 5 minutes to go and getting the armband is a bit silly but whatever, he's not sulking, he's not leaking stuff, he's not giving interviews to Piers Morgan. If wearing the armband makes him feel better then it's not really a big deal.
Getting the armband, as club captain, is standard practice everywhere, though of course they usually play but not always

criticalanalysis

I think both Maguire and lindelof deserve credit for their responses at essentially being told they aren’t good enough to start anymore. No dressing room leaks, no indication that they are throwing the toys out the pram, both of them look engaged in the bench and happy to celebrate when we score/win and they don’t contribute… and when they do come on, they are putting in decent performances. They simply have one of the best defensive partnerships in world football to try and break up, which won’t happen, but I admire both their attitudes all things considered.
Don't mean to put a downer on the good vibes but they would have to be massive a-holes to create a fuss in a team that is winning and progressing so evidently in front of everyone, especially if they themselves were not setting the world alight previously. You would have be massively deluded to not recognise your 'place' in the squad and those type of cases are rare e.g Ronaldo. To me, it's sort of a given because their careers, professionalism and reputations are on the line; not that I'm saying they are being supportive because of that, as I reckon they are probably decent people too but it would be the wisest move anyways.

Perhaps I'm being harsh but I didn't get the same vibes when fans praised players like Mata for being professional, staying with Utd and being a great squad player. Imo, staying with Utd was/is the best decision for players like Mata, Maguire and Lindelof, as you are paid extremely handsomely, playing for the most prestigious club in England where you get universal (fan and internal) support at a club that quite frankly isn't as ruthless as it should be e.g whistling at Madrid, moved on ruthlessly/sacked ala Chelsea/Bayern etc.

TLDR; basically being encouraging and not disruptive is the very least they could do, as they have no elite talent or seniority to justify it in any case.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Imo, staying with Utd was/is the best decision for players like Mata, Maguire and Lindelof, as you are paid extremely handsomely, playing for the most prestigious club in England where you get universal (fan and internal) support at a club that quite frankly isn't as ruthless as it should be e.g whistling at Madrid, moved on ruthlessly/sacked ala Chelsea/Bayern etc.
I'm not sure how applicable this is to Maguire, the guy has had plenty of abuse, there was even that whole bomb threat thing. It's definitely not the best thing for him to stay put, he's not good enough for United but he's good enough for many other clubs in the league. He'll keep his head down until the summer and then move on, I don't think he wants to stick around just picking up a paycheck, and he'll know Varane and Martinez are too good to displace.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Comes on without attitude, does his job. He has many faults but the way he’s handled the scrutiny and being dropped to at times 5th choice centre back has been spot on.

Hopefully we sell him in the summer though

criticalanalysis

I'm not sure how applicable this is to Maguire, the guy has had plenty of abuse, there was even that whole bomb threat thing. It's definitely not the best thing for him to stay put, he's not good enough for United but he's good enough for many other clubs in the league. He'll keep his head down until the summer and then move on, I don't think he wants to stick around just picking up a paycheck, and he'll know Varane and Martinez are too good to displace.
Oh yeah I should have clarified and meant 'in the past' as the club wasn't proactively looking to move players on or had the 'right' to (i.e being good enough to highlight the deficiencies). However, having said that, If Utd and ETH clearly says to Maguire that he's needed (highly unlikely though as he's potentially a high value saleable asset), I wouldn't put it past him to stay put. Although you're right in that he probably is aware that he's good enough to get more guaranteed game time and a senior standing at other clubs, especially at his age and profile.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

We are still too often in a situation where we have to desperately defend a one goal lead in the last ten minutes and this is where he is very useful. As long as we are not as dominant as we would like to be he still can do a job in certain circumstances.

kthanksbye

He should just let whoever is wearing the armband keep it. Taking it makes no sense, I'd be embarrassed to do that when I'm not even first choice.

Mr.Hik

He should just let whoever is wearing the armband keep it. Taking it makes no sense, I'd be embarrassed to do that when I'm not even first choice.
If ETH or Harry does that every news reporter would make a meal out of the story. We don't need that right now.
Let's him have till the end of the season.

kthanksbye

If ETH or Harry does that every news reporter would make a meal out of the story. We don't need that right now.
Let's him have till the end of the season.
If Bruno offered it to him and he just pats him on the shoulder and asks him to keep it, that shouldn't create any story, it'll just be Maguire being the bigger person.
I remember this happening between Carrick and Giggs, the latter was the captain that season, came on at 70th min in a game, Carrick walked up to him to give him the armband, Giggs just told him to keep it. It was nice to see.

TsuWave

Can't sell him fast enough. Horrible player

and that drunkard that said he's better than Varane on the ball needs to be committed to Arkham Asylum

Jev

I can't believe we got a clean sheet today. One of the worst performances of the season. Hopefully that was his last game for us.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Looked more nervous than a youth team player making his debut.

Ridiculously poor on the ball, it was either straight to the oppositions or horrendously slow with 4-5 touches.

That one moment at the end where he completely lost where the ball in our box summed it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.