Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The midfield general

Should never be anywhere near the stating 11. Every time I see his name on the starting 11 you just know he is going to drop us in it at sometime during the game.Victor looked like a different player today alongside Shaw.

Devil81

Surely ETH could see we are so much better without him.

Please don't bring him back in.

crossy1686

career ending
He makes everyone nervous. God knows how many in that back line are actually covering for him every game. His position is untenable now and probably has been for a while really

Chief123

He doesn’t play, no chaos again. Just like before he came back into the team.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hopefully we don’t have to suffer Harry in our team again. He destabilises everything around him.

Chief123

I read today that his injury could be worse that it was at first look. So not soon.
That’s not great. It means we have to play Lindelof and Shaw every game from now. Hopefully we can wrap up top 4 in the next few games with the rivals slipping up too.

SAF is the GOAT

After seeing Victor and Luke yesterday cooperating together (maybe for the first time) my only conclusion is that Maguire stressing the feck out of our whole back 5. You can see that every one of them in there is unsettled and anxious when he's playing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A team with prime Thuram, Baresi and Maldini wouldn't win the CL with him starting.
You mentioned three perfectionists who were so good that thought defending was as natural as breathing air. Maldini in particular was a second generation WC defender. I guess his boy took that in consideration when choosing a career in football as far from defence as possible. No one wants daddy and grandpa scrutinising every mistake made.

These players would rip a new one to Maguire in every single match until he is either sold or he leaves.

Ralph1386

I don't think that makes sense. I wouldn't really want Varane getting the ball in that situation either. Lisandro can handle it, but he might be the best CB in the entire world in that difficult situation. I wouldn't really want that ball going to Vidic either but I'd still sign him tomorrow.
That’s how ETH wants to play.
Varane handles these situations as well as Martinez. Whether you would want it or not is a moot point as that’s what the manager wants. He doesn’t like his keepers to just clear the ball. De Gea is following instructions and Maguire is clearly not suited for the role.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ten Hag would have to have a screw loose to play Maguire again this season. He just radiates calamity.

NoPace

Varane handles these situations as well as Martinez.
Varane handles them much better than Maguire, but you can't seriously think he handles the ball as well in tight spots surrounded by 3 pressing forwards as Martinez.

Obviously Ten Hag wants us to keep the ball better, and we tried to sign Timber for that reason too. Maguire doesn't fit here, but who your teammates are always affects decisions (we're not gonna hit the ball over the top for Weghorst or pump crosses at the back post at Sancho), and a clumsy backup CB not being given the ball under that degree of pressure seems like something De Gea could have avoided.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
After seeing Victor and Luke yesterday cooperating together (maybe for the first time) my only conclusion is that Maguire stressing the feck out of our whole back 5. You can see that every one of them in there is unsettled and anxious when he's playing.
You can see it on their faces, every time he is involved they are thinking "what is this fecking idiot doing this time!?!"

Dve

Ten Hag would have to have a screw loose to play Maguire again this season. He just radiates calamity.
People are forgetting that we did not attempt to play out from the back at all against Brighton, which would have suited Maguire just perfectly. If we are going to play like that (e.g against Tottenham, or in the cup final), Maguire will be fine. I think people also are overlooking how lucky we were not to concede from any of the headers Brighton had, pretty much free on goal and with no one challenging for the ball. Maguire could have contributed in this regard. Some better finishing from the Brighton players is all that would have been needed to lose this match, and the storyline of how well we defended would have been very different.

Shaw and Lindelöf did well - don't get me wrong - and if the tactics are to play out from the back, they are my preferred paring as well. If not, we can just as well play Maguire and rather capitalise on Shaw's crossers into the box.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
People are forgetting that we did not attempt to play out from the back at all against Brighton, which would have suited Maguire just perfectly. If we are going to play like that (e.g against Tottenham, or in the cup final), Maguire will be fine. I think people also are overlooking how lucky we were not to concede from any of the headers Brighton had, pretty much free on goal and with no one challenging for the ball. Maguire could have contributed in this regard. Some better finishing from the Brighton players is all that would have been needed to lose this match, and the storyline of how well we defended would have been very different.

Shaw and Lindelöf did well - don't get me wrong - and if the tactics are to play out from the back, they are my preferred paring as well. If not, we can just as well play Maguire and rather capitalise on Shaw's crossers into the box.
Sevilla won headers in almost every corner they had.

Loon

:lol:
Barring injuries, I would be surprised if he gets another game. He just transmits a lack of self-confidence.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
While that's true, it doesn't take away the fact that Maguire in general is good at defending the box on crossers.
Yeah Maguire is a classic 442 center back from 25 years ago.
The game has evolved beyond that type of player at elite levels.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
While that's true, it doesn't take away the fact that Maguire in general is good at defending the box on crossers.
Yes, can't deny that he's a better header than Lindelof and Shaw.

A-man

I don’t think Maguire would have suited well for Brighton. He likes to push forward, and is not so good at covering behind the other CB. We saw several times how Lindelof snatched the ball from Welbeck who had run in behind Shaw. I don’t think Maguire would be able to do that. Maguire is superior when it comes to clearing the air in the box but both Shaw and Lindelof are “smart” defenders who know to position themselves and defend as a team, and both are calm with the ball which minimises the drama at the back. Brighton is a good team but suit Lindelof -Shaw perfectly imo.

Mmm-Qatarian

I don’t think Maguire would have suited well for Brighton. He likes to push forward, and is not so good at covering behind the other CB. We saw several times how Lindelof snatched the ball from Welbeck who had run in behind Shaw. I don’t think Maguire would be able to do that. Maguire is superior when it comes to clearing the air in the box but both Shaw and Lindelof are “smart” defenders who know to position themselves and defend as a team, and both are calm with the ball which minimises the drama at the back. Brighton is a good team but suit Lindelof -Shaw perfectly imo.
They probably won't be in the market for another centre half given that they need to upgrade a good number of other positions, but a return to Leicester would probably be a good fit for Maguire I think.

Neither Faes nor Souttar look particularly good, Soyuncu's set for Atletico, and Evans has been out for God knows how long. I think Maguire would be a pretty significant upgrade on what Leicester currently have and would honestly probably be welcomed back by their fans.

NK86

Some people will never learn no matter how many times we have seen Maguire play. The guy is a calamity waiting to happen. He causes confusion in our own defense and it is clear as day he is not a good pairing with any of our other CBs.

As for what could have been, we spurned a fair few good chances ourselves. It's not like only Brighton had opportunities to score.

Tony247

Problem is among currently available defenders he is the only one who can comfortably head away the ball.

Can't leave this hole in defense otherwise teams will keep tossing ball in our box.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Problem is among currently available defenders he is the only one who can comfortably head away the ball.

Can't leave this hole in defense otherwise teams will keep tossing ball in our box.
So play him because he is good a headers?

Djemba-Djemba

I think we're at the point now where he should only play if we wrap top 4 up early and want to rest players before the cup final.

He can't be trusted to play in any more matches that really matter.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
You'd swear his presence affects the team negatively. It's like a parasite eating away at it's host. No, he's not the cause of all of our issues but his presence now is just a net negative.

Hughes35

Shaw makes such a difference compared to him.

I think the only way he can start is if we literally don't have anybody else. I predict he will be sold in the summer to somebody like West Ham and will actually do really well for them.

Bwuk

He just cant play here anymore. Whole team looks panicked when he does.

Shaw at CB until Varane is fit.

klayton88

A lot of the time he looks panicked and goes for balls he really should not be going for and often takes out our own players in doing so. He's got the sporting grace of Boris Johnson.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I think we're at the point now where he should only play if we wrap top 4 up early and want to rest players before the cup final.

He can't be trusted to play in any more matches that really matter.
He should only play if putin nukes england, there are no players left alive, including the opposition clubs, and its literally him, against nobody else on the field, and even then he should be told to just fecking hoof it away from his own goal every time

DickDastardly

Big no.

Yes, the ball often hits his head.
Statistically, considering the size of that head, there's a big chance of that happening.

However, he's not a good header of the ball.

He can't seem to direct it where it needs to go.
Again, considering the shape of that head, not unusual.

His headed balls always seem to find an opposition player.

And let's not get into offensive headers. Can't hit a barn door.

Status
Not open for further replies.