Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackbebe

You see what you want to see. I see someone complaining because he gave the ball away twice. Can you imagine if that's the expectation of every football player? To never give the ball away? Truth is, Harry is now a squad player and has played a very important role in the squad this year. He has stepped in when asked and believe it or not, he has done well and so has the team. In fact, ever since the world cup our results with Maguire starting are:

3-0 win Bournemouth
3-0 win Chalton
3-1 win Reading
2-0 win Leeds
3-1 win West Ham
1-0 win Real Betis
3-1 win Fulham
2-0 Win Everton
2-0 win Forest
3-0 Loss Sevilla
2-1 win Fulham

So in his last 11 starts we are 10-0-1 with 24 goals for and 7 against. But go on. Tell us more about how bad we are with Harry and how much we suffer. Oh, and while you're at it, tell me you don't have an agenda.

Now I know someone is going to say "you're only picking out results that suit your argument. What about 2-2 the Sevilla?" Well if I'm going to include that Sevilla game where he came off the bench, then I guess I have to include all the games where he came off the bench too right?

2-2 Sevilla
3-0 Win Forest
3-1 win Everton
2-1 win City
2-0 win Forest
2-1 win Palace
2-0 win Newcastle
0-0 Southampton
1-0 win Villa
2-0 win Wolves

But again....see what you want to see. Have your agendas. Tell yourself what you need to tell yourself. The facts tell a different story. Again...Harry is a squad player. The others have earned their way to be ahead of him in the pecking order. But my god, get over it. The shite that people look for to blame him for you'd think hes banged all your wives or something
All the games you listed above, where he started, were against weaker opposition. His stats will be skewed because he won't be picked for important games with top quality opposition strikers. Even in that context, he's managed his share of heart burns.

Tiber

I stuck up for Maguire for a long time, but that time has passed. I do think he can go somewhere else and stop being a meme. Assumed that would be Leicester, but apparently not

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If a defender doesn't instil confidence to get the job done and if his team-mates feel the need to compensate for his perceived inadequacies, then that defender has to go. It is simple as that.

Maguire may have been part of a few of our winning matches (mostly against lesser opposition) but his contribution has been very inconsistent mostly due to his predisposition towards unexplainable brain-farts/mistakes.

BorisManUtd

16 PL games this season for Harry and only 8 of those were starts. He was paid 80M, is still our captain and been England's regular starter for years now. It's clear ten Hag doesn't fancy him so a move this summer makes sense to remain his place in England squad and get his career back on track. He's 30, for a CB that isn't old and he can have another 4-5 years at PL level, starting regularly for a club like Villa or West Ham.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
16 PL games this season for Harry and only 8 of those were starts. He was paid 80M, is still our captain and been England's regular starter for years now. It's clear ten Hag doesn't fancy him so a move this summer makes sense to remain his place in England squad and get his career back on track. He's 30, for a CB that isn't old and he can have another 4-5 years at PL level, starting regularly for a club like Villa or West Ham.
I think the only issue with this is his wages. No other club will pay that. So a loan for next season is the most likely scenario, in my opinion.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Probably his last game for us, you would have thought. I see no reason to keep him when you can still get a decent fee. I also don't like the situation where he's the captain, but not really. But when he comes on he still gets the armband...

All a bit weird. Everyone knows he's not captain material, and he should just move on for his sake and ours. It's the only sensible option here.

Seij

Swap deals happen maybe once a decade in football. Can't remember when we did any.
I don't see Moyes willing to send his captain and best player to United of all teams. He would send Rice to anywhere but us if he's forced to sell.

I do think he'd be interested in taking Maguire though, just not on his current wages.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You are David Moyes, or Unai Emery, or Sean Dyche, or Latest Levy Muppet.

Are you spending 30-40m on Maguire?

Thought not.

20m tops. More likely noone buys him.
This is a silly sort of post.
You see the likes of Iwobi going for 35million.

Maguire whatever a lot of our fans reckon is still a solid choice for a lot of premier league teams, and will comfortably go for more than 20m.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Maguire whatever a lot of our fans reckon is still a solid choice for a lot of premier league teams, and will comfortably go for more than 20m.
Think you may be ignoring wages, if he was on £60k then yea £35 to 40m even especially consider he starts for his NT but £200k is £140k a week basic more than he should be on, which over a 5 year contract is over £35m more than he should be on (14 x 52 x 5) which is why £20m is more realistic as I don't see his ego accepting even £100k, now how many clubs that his profile suits such as West Ham, Everton etc pay any player let alone a CB £200k a week basic?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

We will see.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can't see us signing him. Mina looks set to leave but we will have Tarkowski, Godfrey and Holgate still at the club and Branthwaite coming back who I hope is given a chance. Wouldn't be surprised if we triggered the option on Coady too (c. 4.5m).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't see us signing him. Mina looks set to leave but we will have Tarkowski, Godfrey and Holgate still at the club and Branthwaite coming back who I hope is given a chance. Wouldn't be surprised if we triggered the option on Coady too (c. 4.5m).
You've got numbers, but all the overblown Maguire is rubbish, stuff aside, he'd still be comfortably your best centre back.
Especially in Dycheball!

We'd probably have a thread moaning how good he looks in your set up!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You've got numbers, but all the overblown Maguire is rubbish, stuff aside, he'd still be comfortably your best centre back.
Especially in Dycheball!

We'd probably have a thread moaning how good he looks in your set up!
Could well be but I extremely doubt we would buy a CB who is 30+, on c. 100-200k wages and would probably be 10-20m transfer fee. Everton of old perhaps but I think we are attempting to move on from that nonsense. A loan however would perhaps make sense for all parties and I wouldn't be against that. I think Holgate should be sold.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Bit of an outburst for no real reason. I don’t think the majority have anything against the man, he just isn’t good enough to play for United in their current system and guise. I would much prefer someone younger, quicker, and with potential to grow into real quality.

One of our biggest problems post-Ferguson has been hanging onto players that aren’t good enough for too long and then expecting different results.

We can’t count on him against quality opposition, so there is no reason to have such an expensive asset taking up space at a team his qualities don’t suit
Which is completely fine. But the way this guy is scapegoated and bullied is absolutely ridiculous.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
All the games you listed above, where he started, were against weaker opposition. His stats will be skewed because he won't be picked for important games with top quality opposition strikers. Even in that context, he's managed his share of heart burns.
Perhaps. But isn't that part of why he has played a very important role in the team? He helped give the starters a rest. Mind you, there was a back to back match against Leeds where we tied 2-2 and then won 2-0. One of those games had Martinez and Varane. The other had Maguire and Shaw. Which pairing do you think kept the clean sheet?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You're only picking results to suit your argument. How about the absolute disasterous run if form last season (mainly with Maguire) and the first two matches this season. (1-2 Brighton 0-4 Brenford) It was only then, he was dropped, we beat Liverpool and went on a great run of form.

He makes all the team nervous when he plays, he has made countless mistakes since being here. It's memeable. After that Sevilla match, I thought surely nobody wants him here now. There are still a few on here that want to keep him as a squad player. Gluttons for punishment.
How did I only pick results that suit my argument when I literally posted every result since the world cup?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Which is completely fine. But the way this guy is scapegoated and bullied is absolutely ridiculous.
I will agree with that part yeah. His own fans shouldn’t be namecalling. It’s a step too far and is needlessly antagonizing someone just for not being good enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could well be but I extremely doubt we would buy a CB who is 30+, on c. 100-200k wages and would probably be 10-20m transfer fee. Everton of old perhaps but I think we are attempting to move on from that nonsense. A loan however would perhaps make sense for all parties and I wouldn't be against that. I think Holgate should be sold.
Isn't Mina meant to be on a ludicrous 120k a week?
Sounds like big Harry is exactly what you need.
But we'll need 40m or so.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
No club outside the top few would contemplate taking on Maguire's wages, especially with the new FFP rules.

It seems highly likely his wages will need to be subsidised and a fee heavily discounted if he's no longer wanted.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I know everyone is concerned about Maguire's wages, but that's only a problem if Maguire doesn't negotiate a new contract with whatever team he signs for. He's probably on his last leg with England. So if he wants first team football and wants to continue playing for England, perhaps he may surprise a few people and take a pay cut...

city-puma

I remember his parents and himself are manutd fans. If that’s the case and I were him, I would like to stay even though it means I am just the bench warmer, because I love this club and want to be part of its journey and contribute to its return to the supposed position in the world football. Unless the club tells me I am surplus to the requirements, I just prepare myself to do a good job whenever I am called upon, even when it means my international football career will be over.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Think you may be ignoring wages, if he was on £60k then yea £35 to 40m even especially consider he starts for his NT but £200k is £140k a week basic more than he should be on, which over a 5 year contract is over £35m more than he should be on (14 x 52 x 5) which is why £20m is more realistic as I don't see his ego accepting even £100k, now how many clubs that his profile suits such as West Ham, Everton etc pay any player let alone a CB £200k a week basic?
Still think we should hang in for at least £30m if anyone interested. Whether he would accept potential loss of wage from new offer is another matter. First choice England international CB, staring several major tournament as one of tournament better defender, shouldn’t go for anything lower regardless.

lex talionis

Just an opinion, but Maguire was actually quite decent for us in his first year, then he fell apart. Can anyone explain what happened to the man?

Marcus

He will go for 40 million. Honestly, he is a good defender for teams which play counter attacking football. Not possession football. Maybe one of the newly promoted sides may cough up the money.

Ole'sgunnarwin

How did I only pick results that suit my argument when I literally posted every result since the world cup?
Because you ignored the complete positive transformation of the team once he was dropped only months before the World Cup to suit your narrative. Are you pretending that didn't happen?

Josh 76

Just an opinion, but Maguire was actually quite decent for us in his first year, then he fell apart. Can anyone explain what happened to the man?
He was decent under Mourhino and Ole because Utd played a counter attacking game. This meant he was playing on the edge of his box and had a lot of players around him. That was his strengths. Now ETH has changed the way he wants UTD to play, meaning he wants his defenders to push up to the half way line. This exposes him badly. He has lost confidence big time as well.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Because you ignored the complete positive transformation of the team once he was dropped only months before the World Cup to suit your narrative. Are you pretending that didn't happen?
Not at all. He became a squad player for a reason. So I used his time as a squad player. And as a squad player he has done a good job. That hasn't stopped people from going in on him every time he's played. But as I PROVED, the team has done well almost every time he has been asked to play AS A SQUAD PLAYER!.

owlo

He doesn't get a particularly large amount of abuse from our fans. Just a resigned sigh at his arrogance and how bad he is. The narrative that he's a good squad player is bonkers. He's the captain on something like 200k a week, and a 4/10 without brainfarts is the absolute minimum we should expect from a premiership footballer. A guy like Tarkowski or Keane or whoever would have done just as adequate a job. Lindelof is proving a good squad player, a guy who can seamlessly enter the 1st team as result of an injury and perform as a Man Utd player.

The memes are mostly oppo fan created, and the reason he is seen as a joke in the entire premiership is not our fans fault, but his own.

Giggsy13

Despite his poor season and the questionable Woodward/Ole fee, Maguire will still command up to £40 million. Spurs would be an ideal fit, west ham is another. Perhaps Serie A as well. He’s done here, fallen to 4th or 5th choice CB behind Martinez, Varane, Shaw and Lindelof, no point of pretending he’ll get back in as a regular.

Eric_the_Red99

He was decent under Mourhino and Ole because Utd played a counter attacking game. This meant he was playing on the edge of his box and had a lot of players around him. That was his strengths. Now ETH has changed the way he wants UTD to play, meaning he wants his defenders to push up to the half way line. This exposes him badly. He has lost confidence big time as well.
And he doesn’t only want his CB’s to push forward, he also wants them to move to the wing to occupy the space traditionally occupied by the fullback, who pushes even further forward as an auxiliary attacker. That’s why he always wants a left footed CB as LCB.

Basically ETH wants his fullbacks to be forwards and his centre backs to be fullbacks, at least some of the time, which Maguire is totally ill suited for. He could definitely still do a decent job for a PL club as a more traditional CB.

Robbie Boy

Can't wait to see the back of him. He was a fecking ridiculous signing, and thankfully we are out of that awful Woodward era. He had some good spells, but he was never in a million years worth what we paid for him, and making him captain was farcical.

Status
Not open for further replies.