Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

little.triangles

Isn't slowness on the ball something that can be actually coached out of a player? If he has the passing ability, then can't EtH train him into making quicker decisions? Maguire would then be a valuable option to have in the squad. I don't want to give up on him yet, at least as a very usable bench option.

Lyng

So it turns out the Captain has been injured for a while and played anyways.

Feel bad for him, hopefully he can recover his form, health 100% this time and go back to the starting XI.
He might. Just not United's

bimalos

I really think Harry Maguire is a quality player but the problem is he never got a chance to work with the best coach in these years. Right now he is working with the very best coach and yes it will take some time to show his true quality like when he is with Leicester City football club.

Foxbatt

He might. Just not United's
We should try and sell him to West Ham. He would fit into a Moyes team. Or to Roma perhaps? Smalling and Maguire is what Jose wanted. So let him have them.

RopersReturn

If the board want to hang onto him so badly, maybe train him up to become a keeper? He’s a big old lump so could be effective in goal, and it wouldn’t involve much running.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is he good enough to be our 3rd CB or is he not even good enough for that?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Isn't slowness on the ball something that can be actually coached out of a player? If he has the passing ability, then can't EtH train him into making quicker decisions? Maguire would then be a valuable option to have in the squad. I don't want to give up on him yet, at least as a very usable bench option.
Depends on your definition of "slowness on the ball". You're talking about playing faster or improving the speed of play? The former can be coached. Taking fewer touches and placing your body better can be improved by spending more time on the training ground. It's more about individual training.

The latter is more on the player. Here, we are talking about vision, intelligence and reading the game (and the off the ball movement in front of you) well. The manager can only teach you the build-up and its rotational variations. Look, the PL and the CL are the pinnacle of world football. It's a given that you won't be afforded time on the ball and that you'll have to take risks with your passes. You have to trust your brain, your feet and be confident both in yourself and in your teammates.

The thing is that, when you watch Maguire, he looks like a player who always second guesses himself. As you said, it's not that he's a donkey with the ball at his feet. The rest he'll have to work it out himself. I'm saying this because i see many people arguing that the manager should do this or that with every single player. Of course, there are things he can do and advice he can provide, but the burden of proof ultimately lies with the player. Does he have enough to make the cut at this level?

Last edited:

Chief123

If the rumours were true about Barca wanting him, as absurd as it sounds I think he would actually do alright there. They don’t really high press the defenders in La Liga. For all his limitations, Maguire is decent at stepping out with the ball and finding a decent pass. Barca like to have defenders who can step into midfield and create numbers against deep lying defences.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think he is. But I dont think Harry is satisfied with being that.
I guess that’s okay. It kind of makes us have a good level of a 3rd CB if we struggle to sell him or we should get a good level of our money back if we do sell him.

Lyng

I guess that’s okay. It kind of makes us have a good level of a 3rd CB if we struggle to sell him or we should get a good level of our money back if we do sell him.
Yeah its a very good situation for us either way I agree.

jesperjaap

He was almost destined to fail when we signed him. I still think he is a decent centre back, but he was never an £80m centre back when there were better options cheaper. He came here off of a really good season for club and country, I really think the nationality and premiership experience played a part in the deal wrongly.

In my mind he is a good old fashioned England centreback in an era despite having a good national squad.....we have pretty poor centre backs. PLayers like Mings, Tarkowski....he is better than them but he was a £40m player Leicester didnt want to lose we massively over paid for.

That was always hanging round his neck and to me his belief has never wavered, but the confidence has, I think thats one reason he is taking longer on the ball than he did before coming here.

He is definately good enough to be our third choice centre back and invaluable in that regard. But will he be happy with that rorle and do we really want someon eon big wages and holding value with the added problem of club captaincy on the bench unhappy. For me its the same situation as when we signed him....there are younger better options probaboly cheaper than the fee we could sell him for that could play that role and challenge for a starting place of injuries to Varane.

We still require maybe 3/4 first eleven signings but in terms of strengthening out squad, there is still a lot to do in my opinion in terms of outgoings and the biggest area of that is our defensive unit which first eleven looks quite promising now, behind that are several full backs to move on and personally I woul dhappily sell all of our centre backs beyond Varane/Martinez and look at adding a couple of youngsters behind them. Not sure who regarding prices but players like Lukeba, Bella Kotchap, Timber all have massive potential and we have seen the impact a quality young centre back can have in the premiership already so far with Bella Kotchap let alone the like sof Fofana, Saliba, Konate, Guehi can have.....thats why I woul dsell Maguire, there are simply younger, probably cheaper, better options for our squad in terms of the way we want to play

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sure Maguire will ever be a true representation of himself again as his confidence is evidently shattered, which leads to doubt, hesitancy and second-guessing elementary actions. Basically dithering ceaselessly before performing things that should take a fraction of the time.

To me, he is so concerned about making mistakes that he's completely lost his way. Coaching or being corrective with flaws in his game would come after the fact. When someone is in their own head, they're likely to revert to type in times of distress with whatever new information they've been given going straight out the head in favour of whatever it is they are comfortable doing taking root.

I feel we see this all the time with Maguire - these days he'd rather under-commit than over, which chips away at certainty in both thinking and execution. He's arguably under even more pressure to come in and match the bar of superior performers who have not lost their certainty of purpose, which is a horrendous proposition.

largelyworried

At this point I'd happily take an offer close to half what we paid for him, and even that might be optimistic. While he'll be fine this season as a backup, long term we need to be continually refreshing the squad. The best way to do that is to bring in young, hungry players as backup to the first teamers and continually have them pushing for the first team. Going into next season with a 30 year old on the bench, who will only be getting worse as the seasons roll by, suits no-one. Better to get someone in the 20-24 range, who can act as backup now, and be ready to go into the first team after a couple of seasons.

Tony247

Hope he plays tomorrow, at least as a sub. Need to get his confidence back.

Foxbatt

I agree with some of the opinions here. I think he is a decent player who has been put under too much pressure by Ole. He has just walked into one of the biggest clubs in the world who was struggling badly. He comes from a small club that has never faced this kind of scrutiny.
He has to lead by example and this put too much pressure on him.
He should have never been made the Captain. ETH should remove the arm band from him and let him get back to form. I don't think he is going to be better than Varane or Martinez at all. So that means he is wanting to go. Let him go for a good price.

Skills

Snitch
Apparently his first name is Jacob.

He should rebrand himself to give a fresh start. Jacob Maguire our new CF

studs

Apparently his first name is Jacob.

He should rebrand himself to give a fresh start. Jacob Maguire our new CF
We should call him Barry Maguire. Every time he's on the pitch he has a barry.

I’m loving my life

It was a bad decision for all parties concerned that he stayed with us.

He now is in real danger of losing his England place.

We are stuck with his wages and missed the optimum chance to at least get some decent fee for him, all to keep him around as a very expensive back up option.

He will stagnate and get worse not playing.

Chelsea or another club might have really benefited from having him in a different system which plays to his strength.

His confidence is shot with us and this affects him and the whole team detrimentally every time he plays.

As a rotation option he doesn’t even work as our defence loses all cohesion the minute he plays.

He is also blocking the way for potentially better 3rd/4th choice options who would suit us better.

RuudTom83

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for yourself...it's not always the club that has to find you a place in the team or find you a new club.

Harry chose to stay, backed himself, and if he loses his England place at the WC then its 100% his fault.

Same for Shaw and AWB...they will all be paying agents, so it's very hard to have any sympathy for them.

RopersReturn

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for yourself...it's not always the club that has to find you a place in the team or find you a new club.

Harry chose to stay, backed himself, and if he loses his England place at the WC then its 100% his fault.

Same for Shaw and AWB...they will all be paying agents, so it's very hard to have any sympathy for them.
A balanced and sensible comment, well said.:)

Sheriff Tiraspol 0:2 Man Utd

Sylar

No mistakes and 100% passing

But seriously, will be hard to see him getting game time in meaningful games. Reckon he plays the rest of the Europa games though (that would be 4 starts at least before the world cup)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Go back to last season too...
  • 1 - 0 loss to Palace - 90 minutes
  • 4 - 0 loss to Brighton - 20 minutes
  • 3 - 0 win v Brentford - injured
  • 1 - 1 draw a Chelsea - injured
  • 3 - 1 loss to Arsenal - bench
  • 4 - 0 loss to Liverpool - 90 minutes
  • 3 - 2 win v Norwich - 90 minutes
  • 1 - 0 loss to Everton - 90 minutes
  • 1 - 1 draw v Leicester - 90 minutes
Since April, he's only beaten Norwich 3-2 at Old Trafford which doesn't say anything positive about himself anyway conceding 2 to them.

Being serious, last seasons run is more on the club as a whole than him, but not good reading for him that we've won every game without him starting and lost every game with him starting, even if he was fine last week.

AshRK

Not trying to be too critical but even in his 2 minute cameo we saw the gulf of difference between him and Martinez. Whereas Martinez is progressive on the ball and takes away pressure, Maguire invites pressure and ball hogs. There was a moment when rather than passing the ball forward to Varane who was free he decided to invite pressure and side pass to Shaw who also does the same and passes back to Maguire. Ultimately De gea got the ball and he had to lump it forward. These are small things which can lead to unnecessary pressure.

spiriticon

He is definitely not good with the ball at his feet when you see what Lisandro, Varane and even Lindelof can do.

He's got an okayish long pass when under no pressure, but any hint of pressure and it's panic and back to keeper. He cannot play his way out of trouble.

RopersReturn

He’s an okay old fashioned style CB who’s been hyped up in the past. It’s not entirely his fault though, Ole decided he was the right choice and then made him club captain. Southgate also likes him as he reminds him of when he was a player.

Irwin99

Depends on if Varane stays fit, which isn't a surefire bet, as to whether he gets many games before the World Cup. Martinez seems to have made the other CB slot his own.

liman

"i can easily find 3 players that can do the same as him when i am playing on amateur level on sunday afternoon , i am being serious here , not the nicest thing to say but i truly mean it". Rafael Van der Vaart on Maguire.

If you ignore his nationality, media hype , price tag and see Maguire play as it is , VdV was absolutely spot on. Maguire does play like sunday league player. Top reds comparing this nobody to 4x UCL and world cup champions Varane was so disrespectful

By the way David De Gea ball playing ability as a keeper is actually okay, he was doing short pass and build from the back but soon after Maguire was in he start booting it long showing lack of trust , he was always the main source of the problem.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
"i can easily find 3 players that can do the same as him when i am playing on amateur level on sunday afternoon , i am being serious here , not the nicest thing to say but i truly mean it". Rafael Van der Vaart on Maguire.

If you ignore his nationality, media hype , price tag and see Maguire play as it is , VdV was absolutely spot on. Maguire does play like sunday league player. Top reds comparing this nobody to 4x UCL and world cup champions Varane was so disrespectful

By the way David De Gea ball playing ability as a keeper is actually okay, he was doing short pass and build from the back but soon after Maguire was in he start booting it long showing lack of trust , he was always the main source of the problem.
Noticed that too. All game long, up to that Maguire sub, De Gea had been doing short passings (and I believe with 100% accuracy). Once Maguire was on, he did his customary 2 long passes; 1 was off, another one was successful.

Maybe when De Gea saw Maguire, he reminded him of the good ol' "long passes to nowhere" day; when everything was just beautiful and easy.

Wing Attack Plan R

No mistakes and 100% passing

But seriously, will be hard to see him getting game time in meaningful games. Reckon he plays the rest of the Europa games though (that would be 4 starts at least before the world cup)
No chance he starts any of those Europa games unless we have no one else who can play. We have to treat this competition as something we can, and should, win. Other than closing out matches already won, I can't see Maguire getting any game time. He'd be better off being sold/putting in a transfer in January.

bringbackbebe

Like it or not, he's going to start for us a lot next month, along with Lindelof. We have to play 13 games in 40 odd days and there's no way we risk Varane/Martinez for every game. The question is:
1) Does ETH play him against weaker teams who we expect to win against, where we only let in 2 goals per game he plays & write off points or rely on our attackers to score more than that to win, or
2) Does ETH play him against stronger teams who we expect to lose against, where we let in 4 goals per game he plays & write this goal difference off.

Status
Not open for further replies.