Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Let's hope Newcastle put us out of our misery. A mouth as big as his head and both so far up his arse

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Compare this to, "I am getting picked, so I must be good".

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s pure delusion to say that this hate started from Maguire’s comments on De Gea.

This has been going on for way way way longer - but you bought it back to De Gea to make it seem like the fans are an angelic lot that can do no wrong and purely reacted to Maguire’s comments.

little.triangles

It’s pure delusion to say that this hate started from Maguire’s comments on De Gea.

This has been going on for way way way longer - but you bought it back to De Gea to make it seem like the fans are an angelic lot that can do no wrong and purely reacted to Maguire’s comments.
I am only speaking for myself. I have a post not long ago on the forum wondering if and hoping that EtH can make Maguire into a decent option for the club.

He's never been my favorite player but I always rooted for him because he plays for United.

But what he leaked in the past week throwing his teammates under the bus as the captain of the club is unforgivable. Keane once did that publicly and he never played for the club again. Rightly so.

youmeletsfly

They didn't win any of the 3 and lost 4-0 to Hungary :lol: :lol: :lol: The self delusion is too real with this guy
I don't like the guy at all, but the delusion might not be real. All fecking players are media trained these days to not "break" and say negative stuff about themselves these days, in order to keep their social media image/profile. Sadly, this is the world we live in.

But, on a more funny note, just look at his face, he seems as stupid as a second coat of paint, of course he'd say that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Everything is wrong with him, mentality, attitude, self reflection. No wonder he is not improving. I hope we get to sell him assp

justsomebloke

Sources close to Maguire? So Maguire himself? There’s some oddly specific lines in there.
Clearly statements where some effort has been put into the wording, which suggests strategic messaging from Agent/Coms team. Or journalistic invention.

Anyway, if these aren't pure fabrications, they're really unacceptable behavior from a dropped captain. And how is he going to re-establish any authority leading the defence after statements like that? They provide no way forward. David de Gea isn't going to stop being Spanish, and how do you respect someone who says in the papers that the lot of you are so bad you'd have made Ruben Diaz a shit player if he had to play with you?

To me, that makes it a bit more doubtful if these are bona fide leaked quotes. It's a little difficult to think Maguire's people would really be so stupid (provided you assume the aim is to get him back in the team), but not difficult at all to see how it sells newspapers.

crossy1686

career ending
Clearly statements where some effort has been put into the wording, which suggests strategic messaging from Agent/Coms team. Or journalistic invention.

Anyway, if these aren't pure fabrications, they're really unacceptable behavior from a dropped captain. And how is he going to re-establish any authority leading the defence after statements like that? They provide no way forward. David de Gea isn't going to stop being Spanish, and how do you respect someone who says in the papers that the lot of you are so bad you'd have made Ruben Diaz a shit player if he had to play with you?

To me, that makes it a bit more doubtful if these are bona fide leaked quotes. It's a little difficult to think Maguire's people would really be so stupid (provided you assume the aim is to get him back in the team), but not difficult at all to see how it sells newspapers.
Yep, I agree. To me it looks like damage limitation. They know he’s done at United so start spreading blame so he can get a move somewhere semi decent. As you said, those comments are comments you make if you want to get back into a side, they’re comments you make when you’re trying to get a move.

Oranges038

He makes a rod for his own back with how he plays and the comments he comes out with.

I won't be surprised if in a few years it turns out he's been drinking as a result of all the negativity and pressure on him.

justsomebloke

Yep, I agree. To me it looks like damage limitation. They know he’s done at United so start spreading blame so he can get a move somewhere semi decent. As you said, those comments are comments you make if you want to get back into a side, they’re comments you make when you’re trying to get a move.
Yep. If they're real, that is. It'd be clarifying if Maguire disavowed them, but not doing that can also be just a strategy (don't fuel the fire and just let it die out etc). It's really hard to say.

Marwood

Fans batter a player over and over.

Player sticks up for himself a handful of times.

Which naturally he gets criticised for.

Mmm-Qatarian

People will believe "sources close to" stories when it suits what they already think to be true and dismiss them when it doesn't (I'm very much guilty of this myself). If those leaks came with Maguire's blessing then it's very poor on his part.

He's probably not been in a good head state for a while now and to be honest, I can sort of understand it. There are some proper basement dwellers who seem to spend their lives haranguing footballers online, and arguably nobody in England is getting it worse than Maguire right now. And before any of his critics start acting terribly offended that I've said this, I'm not talking about legitimate criticism of his performances; I'm talking about the onslaught of abuse, and you're an idiot if you deny this is taking place or try to justify it.

I apply this line of thinking to celebrities in general to be honest. Nowadays they're expected to put up with dog's abuse from low-lifes online and in-person, and to always say exactly the right thing because everything is reported on and scrutinised. Of course the money makes it hard to feel too much sympathy for them but I think I'd go insane if I had to deal with some of that shite.

3vra

Another start, another defeat... He has either lost or drawn in his last 8 starts for club and country. Real rough.
If you count matches that he played over 15 minutes its 11 matches starting from our defeat against Liverpool 4:0.

he lost all his 6 United matches since then and for England he lost 3 and draw 2.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't even doubt he might have looked decent starting the last 4-6 games for us but we need players that don't need the right support set up, formation and temperature just to not capitulate the gameplan. The way his defensive partners shouldered blame for his deficiencies for a whole year couldn't have helped their United career. Ok, that and also being shite.
You are probably right, but I answered a question that asked how he played for England against Italy, and he did ok, but I would also add that he does seem to get his arms wrapped around attacking players more often than not, which is something I criticsed Smalling for.
To reply to your comment, I don't see a future for him at Old Trafford, I can't see us having a back three, like England do (which I think is wrong for England), where Maguire would be supported more, but in a back two he would be a liability. I would have preferred Bailly to both Lindelof and Maguire, but I would think that Baillie wanted to play week in week out, so would have requested a move, and yes Bailly playing every week would be laughable due to his injury record, but as a back up to Varane and particularly Martinez he would have been ideal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I came in for an assessment of last nights game. Any updates on that?
He was decent. However, even in an international game that's played at a noticeably slower pace than the Premier League, it was notable how much more time and space he needs to play.

On the few occasions when Italy made an effort to press him he looked uncertain.

As for the quotes, I feel they read worse than they were delivered. The whole thing of being out for eight weeks blah blah was him making a point he'd be ready to play at a high level even if he hadn't played recently. I don't think we need to kill him over those words.

I am far more worried about his obvious difficulties playing in the Ten Hag system.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's evident that these sources were really close to Maguire else he would have come out with his mouth foaming thrashing what these source had said. If he wants out then he would have gained far more respect from my part if he just handled a transfer request

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s weird isn’t it?

I get that he isn’t good enough - but it’s like some people have dreams and nightmares about this guy and all they do is speak about him every chance they get.

I find it a bit scary.

I mentioned it in the Van De Beek thread. The guy can’t play a single game of Maguire’s ability - yet all he gets is 3 posts a day and Maguire gets 200.
VfB doesn't play, what's to comment on?

ForeverRed1

Exactly. This guy gets more abuse than I’ve seen for a very long time. He gets it from every angle possible. He’s either got a very thick skin and doing ok or he goes home in bits with all the abuse he gets and puts on a brave face.

saying that I do think he needs to leave.. it’s not working for him here, don’t think he suits the PL but could see him smashing it a different league. Italy, Germany France even Spain.

harry maguire is a good footballer. I said it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly. This guy gets more abuse than I’ve seen for a very long time. He gets it from every angle possible. He’s either got a very thick skin and doing ok or he goes home in bits with all the abuse he gets and puts on a brave face.

saying that I do think he needs to leave.. it’s not working for him here, don’t think he suits the PL but could see him smashing it a different league. Italy, Germany France even Spain.

Seconded.

Tap

I'm pretty sure the vast majority want rid and recognise it was one of our worst ever transfer deals, but there is a bizarre glee people take in even picking over his England performances. Even if he's ok in a game, this is only very begrudgingly admitted and with a side helping of abuse.
There's no doubt people get off on it, a kind of group mind thing.
He doesn’t help himself with those leaks and tone deaf interviews. And with those pundits who blindly defend him in the media, the blowback is even bigger.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
For me, it has to do with the most recent media leak. I had a post here not a week ago saying Maguire could be a useful squad player yet for United. But the sense of entitlement he has time and again show in interviews and especially in leaking to Ogden has turned me against him totally. We should not tolerate such manipulative behavior from any player let alone from the club captain.
I've only actually just seen the quotes from 'sources close to HM' cos last week was superbusy.
Who knows who they really come from? They're not exactly flattering, admitting his lack of pace requires faster players around him.

The DDG comments are exactly what everyone has been saying for years, albeit they obviously shouldn't come from in-house (if they did).

Let's face it, he doesn't help himself, particularly with never doing post-match interviews. Everything is always overblown on here with him though- he dares mention that he got into the team of the tournament instead of self-flagellating and the haters are frothing.

He's in the Meghan camp now, where he makes randoms irrationally angry just by existing.

Tap

Said player (captain) continues to play like crap, blame his team mates and give tone deaf interviews.

The cycle continues.

Zippycup

The abuse Maguire has received after the England game (mostly on social media) is evident that there is a clear witch-hunt against him. I’ve absolutely no idea why.
He was (not arguably, was) England’s best defender yesterday, despite Saka’s inability to track his runner leaving Maguire exposed time and time again. Who gets the blame for that? Maguire. It’s incredible really.

Never in my lifetime has one player received so much abuse. Its borderline criminal and as a fan base we are the worst for it. This is not the United I know. We shielded Beckham We shielded Ronaldo. We shielded Rooney. We shielded Ferdinand. We shielded Cantona. We shielded Rashford and Sancho. What do we do with Maguire? Abuse him, even when he’s played well. It’s pathetic.
Its about time we realised that Maguire is one of us, like it or not. One of our biggest traits as fans was looking after our own when they were down, where has that gone?. Yes, criticise his performance when he plays bad, when he played bad that is, not when he plays and plays well.

zaafi

The abuse Maguire has received after the England game (mostly on social media) is evident that there is a clear witch-hunt against him. I’ve absolutely no idea why.
He was (not arguably, was) England’s best defender yesterday, despite Saka’s inability to track his runner leaving Maguire exposed time and time again. Who gets the blame for that? Maguire. It’s incredible really.

Never in my lifetime has one player received so much abuse. Its borderline criminal and as a fan base we are the worst for it. This is not the United I know. We shielded Beckham We shielded Ronaldo. We shielded Rooney. We shielded Ferdinand. We shielded Cantona. We shielded Rashford and Sancho. What do we do with Maguire? Abuse him, even when he’s played well. It’s pathetic.
Its about time we realised that Maguire is one of us, like it or not. One of our biggest traits as fans was looking after our own when they were down, where has that gone?. Yes, criticise his performance when he plays bad, when he played bad that is, not when he plays and plays well.
Good post. I'm far from his biggest fan footballing-wise, and I think he's simply not good enough for a club with ambitions as ours. That being said, the abuse and the hatred he gets is absolutely unreal and straight up bullying. Imagine being a family member of his, unable to browse Instagram or Facebook for 2 minutes without seeing a meme of him. It's even become a thing with people that don't care about football. They just decided to join in on the bullying for some reason, even though they don't even like football. It really is weird. If my brother or sister got the abuse he gets, my blood would be boiling and I would probably do something that'd put me in jail. Hopefully this will pass sooner rather than later.

Luka Mora

Well said, it doesn't help there are big United fan channels which jump on negative topics surrounding him every time he does something wrong. He had a bad season, people made memes about every mistake he made, added alongside the price tag and now to prove you're a true united fan, you must deride and mock him and pray for his downfall at every turn. Sheeple mentality

I try not to even bother reading anything regarding Maguire anymore, as I know it's going to be the usual toxic, senseless and hyperbolic bile from calling him slabhead, sloth, a disgrace, worst captain in history, not fit to wear the shirt, get out of my club. I can't imagine what his family are going through and even Harry Maguire's mental health wellbeing. Too many people just see footballers as commodities and machines who should just get on with their job and not be affected by criticised or rather in this case abuse

I've seen Mason Greenwood get more support online after what he allegedly done and that's saying something.

GregM40

I thought he was great for us in his first season here, I don’t think he’s been the same since that incident in Greece. Having said that, doesn’t have the pace to play in the current back 4 imo.

Oranges038

Never in my lifetime has one player received so much abuse. Its borderline criminal and as a fan base we are the worst for it. This is not the United I know. We shielded Beckham We shielded Ronaldo. We shielded Rooney. We shielded Ferdinand. We shielded Cantona.
The difference is that those players performed on the pitch, they worked hard, they improved, they helped win trophies and they earned the respect of the fans. If they played shit they were dropped, held their hands up and worked their asses off ro get back in the team and stay there.

Maguire has never done anything to show that he works hard on improving his game. Makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Then comes out with all that waffle about not being picked if he wasn't playing well.

I have no time for people directing personal abuse at him online, most fans are rightly criticising his ability, his form, his performances and his lack of self awareness. For his own sake, he really just needs to leave and then he can go back to focusing on his football and not be dealing with the constant media circus and negativity that surrounds him now.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

You just listed a whole team of players better than Maguire who've either done far more for Man Utd or are still learning the game, or in Rashford's case both.

The idea that Maguire is getting more abuse than the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Phil Neville (from England fans), even poor old Phil Jones is laughable. The difference between them and him is some humility and desire to keep working and improving. I'm not saying Maguire doesn't have that, he just hasn't shown it or even really said it. Phil Jones didn't go round blaming other people for his mistakes or injuries, even to this day he just does his best to get on with it and takes the flak because he's a decent, responsible guy as far as you can tell. That game when Jones returned after 2+ years showed more character than Maguire has in his entire career unfortunately.

The idea that there are Maguire fanboys out there is quite funny though tbf, he's hardly an exciting player even at his best :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The difference is that those players performed on the pitch, they worked hard, they improved, they helped win trophies and they earned the respect of the fans. If they played shit they were dropped, held their hands up and worked their asses off ro get back in the team and stay there.

Maguire has never done anything to show that he works hard on improving his game. Makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Then comes out with all that waffle about not being picked if he wasn't playing well.

I have no time for people directing personal abuse at him online, most fans are rightly criticising his ability, his form, his performances and his lack of self awareness. For his own sake, he really just needs to leave and then he can go back to focusing on his football and not be dealing with the constant media circus and negativity that surrounds him now.
Yeah your post was better than mine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.