Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The abuse Maguire has received after the England game (mostly on social media) is evident that there is a clear witch-hunt against him. I’ve absolutely no idea why.
He was (not arguably, was) England’s best defender yesterday, despite Saka’s inability to track his runner leaving Maguire exposed time and time again. Who gets the blame for that? Maguire. It’s incredible really.

Never in my lifetime has one player received so much abuse. Its borderline criminal and as a fan base we are the worst for it. This is not the United I know. We shielded Beckham We shielded Ronaldo. We shielded Rooney. We shielded Ferdinand. We shielded Cantona. We shielded Rashford and Sancho. What do we do with Maguire? Abuse him, even when he’s played well. It’s pathetic.
Its about time we realised that Maguire is one of us, like it or not. One of our biggest traits as fans was looking after our own when they were down, where has that gone?. Yes, criticise his performance when he plays bad, when he played bad that is, not when he plays and plays well.
Couldn’t agree more with this and it’s genuinely infected everyone. Was talking to my friends the other day and not one of them had him in their England team and were picking players like Stones and Ben White. Sorry but Maguire has outperformed those players for the best part of half a decade in the England settup. It’s just revisionist nonsense half the time used to basically slander his name. He needs out of Utd asap for the sake of his sanity as there’s clearly too much nonsense for him to work through here.

Zippycup

The difference is that those players performed on the pitch, they worked hard, they improved, they helped win trophies and they earned the respect of the fans. If they played shit they were dropped, held their hands up and worked their asses off ro get back in the team and stay there
Do you think being protected and supported by the fans had anything to with that?

If you take half the abuse (abuse, not criticism) from our own fans that has been directed at Maguire over the past 18 months (which included a fecking bomb threat) and directed it any of the players I mentioned, do you think it would have had a negative or positive response in their performances?

Maguire has never done anything to show that he works hard on improving his game. Makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Then comes out with all that waffle about not being picked if he wasn't playing well.
Maguire has been blamed for more or less every goal we conceded last season. I even heard people blame him for goals when he wasn't in the team.
How on Earth can you play yourself back into good form when everything you do is scrutinised and debated by the fans who have tinted glasses on?
Of course he is going to be positive in his interviews.

I have no time for people directing personal abuse at him online, most fans are rightly criticising his ability, his form, his performances and his lack of self awareness. For his own sake, he really just needs to leave and then he can go back to focusing on his football and not be dealing with the constant media circus and negativity that surrounds him now.
Not be dealing with the constant media circus and negativity that surrounds him?

Where do you think that comes from? It's our own fans... It's an absolute joke that we've not only allowed our captain to be ridiculed to such an extent that his mental health must be close to breaking point. No, we actively join in and encourage it.

Jericho

The abuse Maguire has received after the England game (mostly on social media) is evident that there is a clear witch-hunt against him. I’ve absolutely no idea why.
He was (not arguably, was) England’s best defender yesterday, despite Saka’s inability to track his runner leaving Maguire exposed time and time again. Who gets the blame for that? Maguire. It’s incredible really.

Never in my lifetime has one player received so much abuse. Its borderline criminal and as a fan base we are the worst for it. This is not the United I know. We shielded Beckham We shielded Ronaldo. We shielded Rooney. We shielded Ferdinand. We shielded Cantona. We shielded Rashford and Sancho. What do we do with Maguire? Abuse him, even when he’s played well. It’s pathetic.
Its about time we realised that Maguire is one of us, like it or not. One of our biggest traits as fans was looking after our own when they were down, where has that gone?. Yes, criticise his performance when he plays bad, when he played bad that is, not when he plays and plays well.
Because he more often than not these days plays badly and gets exposed for his lack of pace and mobility. He then follows those performances up with comments that attempt to deflect blame to his teammates. This has turned a lot of people against him, and that doesn't just switch off after one game where he put in a 6/10 performance in a game which they still lost.

What possible reason could there be for a "witch-hunt"?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Or you know, a fan of the club who wants to see every player do well.
I'm enjoying his doing well from the bench right now, quite happy for him to stay in the background and work on his much-discussed mental health.

Zippycup

Because he more often than not these days plays badly and gets exposed for his lack of pace and mobility. He then follows those performances up with comments that attempt to deflect blame to his teammates. This has turned a lot of people against him, and that doesn't just switch off after one game where he put in a 6/10 performance in a game which they still lost.

What possible reason could there be for a "witch-hunt"?
Absolute nonsense.
He has been nowhere near as bad as many make out. He had one bad season along with the very large majority of the squad. Where's the abuse (again, abuse not criticism) aimed at them?

Marwood

Said player (captain) continues to play like crap, blame his team mates and give tone deaf interviews.

The cycle continues.
A tone deaf interview. How will the fans cope.

Some football fans are incredibly sensitive.

Marwood

You just listed a whole team of players better than Maguire who've either done far more for Man Utd or are still learning the game, or in Rashford's case both.

The idea that Maguire is getting more abuse than the likes of Fletcher, O'Shea, Phil Neville (from England fans), even poor old Phil Jones is laughable. The difference between them and him is some humility and desire to keep working and improving. I'm not saying Maguire doesn't have that, he just hasn't shown it or even really said it. Phil Jones didn't go round blaming other people for his mistakes or injuries, even to this day he just does his best to get on with it and takes the flak because he's a decent, responsible guy as far as you can tell. That game when Jones returned after 2+ years showed more character than Maguire has in his entire career unfortunately.

The idea that there are Maguire fanboys out there is quite funny though tbf, he's hardly an exciting player even at his best :lol:
He can't do anything right by a section of fans and I'm afraid your post is more of the same.

When Phil Jones, whose done nothing but collect a massive wage for three seasons, is being lauded over Maguire, who is almost always available, you know the rot amongst fans has set in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've seen this sort of thing said a few times now, and it's easy to say.
But in the thick of the game, off balance, not quite sure where their man is, it's probably best not to take a swing across your own goal, and much safer to put it out.

I'm not sure why Maguire is any sort of debate from a game where we've again not scored.

HookedOnAPhelan

He's become a meme, unfortunately. People will use any opportunity to have a go. He'll need to be just about flawless for an extended period of time for this to die down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can't do anything right by a section of fans and I'm afraid your post is more of the same.

When Phil Jones, whose done nothing but collect a massive wage for three seasons, is being lauded over Maguire, who is almost always available, you know the rot amongst fans has set in.
Goon fans need a scapegoat, especially now Lingard has gone.

Oranges038

Do you think being protected and supported by the fans had anything to with that?

If you take half the abuse (abuse, not criticism) from our own fans that has been directed at Maguire over the past 18 months (which included a fecking bomb threat) and directed it any of the players I mentioned, do you think it would have had a negative or positive response in their performances?

Maguire has been blamed for more or less every goal we conceded last season. I even heard people blame him for goals when he wasn't in the team.
How on Earth can you play yourself back into good form when everything you do is scrutinised and debated by the fans who have tinted glasses on?
Of course he is going to be positive in his interviews.

Not be dealing with the constant media circus and negativity that surrounds him?

Where do you think that comes from? It's our own fans... It's an absolute joke that we've not only allowed our captain to be ridiculed to such an extent that his mental health must be close to breaking point. No, we actively join in and encourage it.
Everything Beckham did was scrutinised intensely, even more so than Maguire. He came back from 98 world cup, there were effigies and he was booed everywhere he went for being sent off. He was hated by many, he went on to become England captain scored against Greece and led them to a world cup. That's how you deal with that pressure. Some people thrive on it, they have an intense need to prove everybody wrong.

Maguire, 80m defender, captain. He's supposed to be the leader, the one who keeps the defense in line, yet he's the one who regularly makes stupid decisions that cost goals. Like I said, he doesn't seem to realise that when you see his interviews and read his comments.

He's been playing shite for too long, eventually you have to realise that it's really because he doesn't have the ability or the mentality to perform under the pressure at Utd, he's buckled and broken, he needs to go rebuild himself somewhere else.

mu4c_20le

Everything Beckham did was scrutinised intensely, even more so than Maguire. He came back from 98 world cup, there were effigies and he was booed everywhere he went for being sent off. He was hated by many, he went on to become England captain scored against Greece and led them to a world cup. That's how you deal with that pressure. Some people thrive on it, they have an intense need to prove everybody wrong.

Maguire, 80m defender, captain. He's supposed to be the leader, the one who keeps the defense in line, yet he's the one who regularly makes stupid decisions that cost goals. Like I said, he doesn't seem to realise that when you see his interviews and read his comments.

He's been playing shite for too long, eventually you have to realise that it's really because he doesn't have the ability or the mentality to perform under the pressure at Utd, he's buckled and broken, he needs to go rebuild himself somewhere else.
Beckham never lost his own fans, there's a huge difference.

Zippycup

Do you think he would have achieved that with the abuse coming from his own fans? Much worse than he ever recieved from rival fans?

Oranges038

Beckham never lost his own fans, there's a huge difference.
Why?

Because he continued to perform for Utd. If he came back and played shite but still played every week. Utd fans would 100% have been calling for him to go.

Maguire hasn't, when you play badly for as long as he has and still somehow get picked every week. Eventually even your own fans will turn on you. That's what has happened, he's had plenty of games to perform and up his game and give people the two fingers and say I am better than you think. He hasn't, he only did it when he scored against Albania. Which just made another rod for his own back.

phelans shorts

You can’t really use a near 25 year old example as a contemporary. Beckham never had to endure the constant trial by fire that is now the case where even doing the right thing (such as shown in the clip posted a few posts back) is used as a stick to beat him with because it looks a bit funny.

Maguire has his every appearance clipped up out of context and used to attack him. Such as the booking against Arsenal being another example.

Beckham also never had United, his home, fans attacking him like Maguire has to put up with. Could easily argue that Beckham had a few fallow years with England following that World Cup too.

You’re point is just shite, basically.

Dve

I spotted a difference in Maguire's game for England compared to when playing for United. He looks more relaxed, more mentally in balance. He needs less touches and less time to control the ball, hence he got more time to get oriented and pick out a pass. For me, this is the evident that his struggles for United is more than anything in his head, and the fans certainly do him no favours.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've seen this sort of thing said a few times now, and it's easy to say.
But in the thick of the game, off balance, not quite sure where their man is, it's probably best not to take a swing across your own goal, and much safer to put it out.

I'm not sure why Maguire is any sort of debate from a game where we've again not scored.
It's a prime example of Maguire being singled out for twitter memes to keep the abuse going, and clearly posters here lap it up.

No other player in the PL get so many clips made for every action that he does. Every bad pass, every missed tackle, it can be done for any player but you don't see it because noone else is as popular to pile on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a prime example of Maguire being singled out for twitter memes to keep the abuse going, and clearly posters here lap it up.

No other player in the PL get so many clips made for every action that he does. Every bad pass, every missed tackle, it can be done for any player but you don't see it because noone else is as popular to pile on.
It's definitely the worst thing about the modern social media age.

Every mistake from a player is posted, this player has "owned" another, this player is finished or "found out".
It's really tedious and pathetic.

TwoSheds

Being available is the best you can say on his behalf FFS. The captain of Manchester United and an England regular. I have nothing against him personally, I neither like nor dislike him. As a footballer he's been a huge disappointment for us and doesn't give much appearance of knowing how to go about changing that. I couldn't care less about the guy frankly.

mu4c_20le

Why?

Because he continued to perform for Utd. If he came back and played shite but still played every week. Utd fans would 100% have been calling for him to go.

Maguire hasn't, when you play badly for as long as he has and still somehow get picked every week. Eventually even your own fans will turn on you. That's what has happened, he's had plenty of games to perform and up his game and give people the two fingers and say I am better than you think. He hasn't, he only did it when he scored against Albania. Which just made another rod for his own back.
He had the unwavering support of both manager and united fans, yes maybe he deserved it, but since you raise the point about mental fortitude, then it's not quite the same situation. I actually think if Maguire somehow overcomes all this, he'd be stronger than becks.

Marwood

Being available is the best you can say on his behalf FFS. The captain of Manchester United and an England regular. I have nothing against him personally, I neither like nor dislike him. As a footballer he's been a huge disappointment for us and doesn't give much appearance of knowing how to go about changing that. I couldn't care less about the guy frankly.
Well you said he doesn't appear to be trying. He's played as many games as anyone in Europe over the last few years. Didn't he actually play more than anyone a couple of seasons back?

Now I'm not saying he deserves a medal for doing so but criticising his effort levels whilst lauding a player who is basically retired and collecting a wage anyway is quite something.

It's an example of this entrenched negative spin on anything Maguire does.

TwoSheds

Well you said he doesn't appear to be trying. He's played as many games as anyone in Europe over the last few years. Didn't he actually play more than anyone a couple of seasons back?

Now I'm not saying he deserves a medal for doing so but criticising his effort levels whilst lauding a player who is basically retired and collecting a wage anyway is quite something.

It's an example of this entrenched negative spin on anything Maguire does.
I said nothing of the kind. He doesn't appear to be trying to do anything different which he clearly needs to given how shite he's been. Doesn't mean he's not working hard, I'm sure he's a good pro. You don't improve by doing the same shit over and over though, you have to constantly be analysing your game and adapting. Feels a bit like he's more of the opinion that everyone else should adapt to him. He's nowhere close to good enough for that though, no top team is building a game plan around him.

El Jefe

The hatred on here for a Man Utd player is just plain weird to be honest.
Bordering on obsessive
Strange bunch of “fans” on here
Honestly this, its actually pathetic at this point.

If you don't like Maguire then you should be extremely happy right now because he doesn't play and doesn't look like he'll be getting his starting spot back anytime soon, if at all. Even before that article or his interview came out, you had a bunch of people piling on him when he was barely getting minutes.

For those who also don't like him as captain, Bruno has basically been the de facto captain so what is all the bitching about.

I absolutely detest Lindelof as a player and CB but I have no need to hurl abuse at him every moment because he isn't playing.

There were actually fans watching the England match waiting for every Maguire mistake to celebrate bashing him. Obsessive and weird and I'm not a fan of him at all. He's an average footballer not a war criminal.

Oranges038

You can’t really use a near 25 year old example as a contemporary. Beckham never had to endure the constant trial by fire that is now the case where even doing the right thing (such as shown in the clip posted a few posts back) is used as a stick to beat him with because it looks a bit funny.

Maguire has his every appearance clipped up out of context and used to attack him. Such as the booking against Arsenal being another example.

Beckham also never had United, his home, fans attacking him like Maguire has to put up with. Could easily argue that Beckham had a few fallow years with England following that World Cup too.

You’re point is just shite, basically.
And the reason the home fans never attacked him? Because he continued to play well almost every week.

Beckham was the most famous footballer in the world, married to one of the biggest pop stars in the world at that time. Everywhere he went, everything he did off the pitch he was followed by cameras and splashed all over the papers. He would have endured far more under that, that a few saps on twitter posting shite about him.

Anyone ever see Maguire all over the place being judged on his choice of clothing? Or supposedly banging the nanny? Nope, he just got arrested because of a bar fight. That was the height of his public appeal.

Like Beckham. He gets judged on his performances for the club by the fans. His haven't been anywhere near good enough.

MattofManchester

It's fair if you don't want him to be a part of the club because you think he's not good enough. I agree.

But you can do that without spewing absolute vitriol at him.

It's not difficult to understand.

However, I don't see why his England performances are criticized.
The style suits him and he thrives in it.
He has been a solid feature for them

Zippycup

I said nothing of the kind. He doesn't appear to be trying to do anything different which he clearly needs to given how shite he's been. Doesn't mean he's not working hard, I'm sure he's a good pro. You don't improve by doing the same shit over and over though, you have to constantly be analysing your game and adapting. Feels a bit like he's more of the opinion that everyone else should adapt to him. He's nowhere close to good enough for that though, no top team is building a game plan around him.
He was one of the better players yesterday yet here we are, discussing the abuse he's recieved while others around him who were terrible go criticism free, including the player he had to cover for time and time again.

What is it exactly that you want him to do differently?

Marwood

You said he hasn't shown a desire to keep working and improving. Is that not similar to not trying?

I've never heard a bad word about how he trains. Only compliments. Then he's available almost every game. A footballer can't do much more than that.

We all want to see better performances than what he put in last season but what more in terms of effort do you want? What visible signs of desire to improve would you like to see that you aren't currently?

I think you're just scrabbling to find criticism.

TwoSheds

You said he hasn't shown a desire to keep working and improving. Is that not similar to not trying?

I've never heard a bad word about how he trains. Only compliments. Then he's available almost every game. A footballer can't do much more than that.

We all want to see better performances than what he put in last season but what more in terms of effort do you want? What visible signs of desire to improve would you like to see that you aren't currently?

I think you're just scrabbling to find criticism.
:lol: Ok I give up, he's doing a good job of improving to an acceptable level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I spotted a difference in Maguire's game for England compared to when playing for United. He looks more relaxed, more mentally in balance. He needs less touches and less time to control the ball, hence he got more time to get oriented and pick out a pass. For me, this is the evident that his struggles for United is more than anything in his head, and the fans certainly do him no favours.
Or its just a different pressure playing for a top club than an International side not expected to win major tournaments

TwoSheds

He was one of the better players yesterday yet here we are, discussing the abuse he's recieved while others around him who were terrible go criticism free, including the player he had to cover for time and time again.

What is it exactly that you want him to do differently?
I couldn't give a feck about England, where have you seen me criticise his performance yesterday? He did fine from what I saw, albeit I wasn't paying much attention. Southgate is the problem and England fans who haven't realised that yet are feckwits.

Maguire playing fine for England in a back 5 is a bit irrelevant to what I think of Manchester United's captain's performances in a back 4 for his club though.

Zippycup

I couldn't give a feck about England, where have you seen me criticise his performance yesterday? He did fine from what I saw, albeit I wasn't paying much attention. Southgate is the problem and England fans who haven't realised that yet are feckwits.

Maguire playing fine for England in a back 5 is a bit irrelevant to what I think of Manchester United's captain's performances in a back 4 for his club though.
My point is no matter what he does he will be critised and abused.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Absolute nonsense.
He has been nowhere near as bad as many make out. He had one bad season along with the very large majority of the squad. Where's the abuse (again, abuse not criticism) aimed at them?
Who are you? His mum, or something?

Beckham, and all the others you mention had already done the business for United, hadn’t they? By bringing them into it you only weaken your argument.

Zippycup

Who are you? His mum, or something?

Beckham, and all the others you mention had already done the business for United, hadn’t they? By bringing them into it you only weaken your argument.
Yes, I'm his mum. Great retort :rolleyes:

The fact that you're resorting to such immature actions suggests to me that you know I'm right.

I'll say it again. Maguire is getting abuse for no other reason than it's popular to do so. Even when he plays well he gets abuse from his own fans. No player past or present could perform to a high standard in those conditions.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Started the first two games of the season we were humiliated in both, the last 4 games hasn’t started and we have not only looked better but have won all 4. I get that people want him to succeed (I would live nothing more) but he isn’t up to standard as has been proven already this season.

Blames everyone else for his failings.

A captain who can”t lead, a coward who hides when we lose as refuses to do interviews. Never a United Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.