Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Inappropriate Content
This lying cnut should never play for Man Utd ever again let alone captain the team. Belongs in a Greek jail

tentan

Poor man's poster.
No doubt he'll start the next game. Our standards are so low.

Chief123

Where was he on the fourth goal? Wide open at the back.
Exactly this is what I came to discuss.

I honestly don’t understand how he garners so much support from a rogue cult in our fan base. I get everyone has their own opinions on a player but Maguire’s fans just seem determined to completely turn a blind eye to anything Maguire is at fault for and only come to say he isn’t the problem when he has a game which doesn’t involve a mistake.

He made plenty of mistakes today and it would be foolish to deny it. What he did for the 4th goal was shocking. He was way too high up the pitch but despite that he had so much time to look behind him to see Toney was too far away from him. At no point did he show any self awareness to spot him despite Toney being the only Brentford player anywhere near him. Completely switches off and is taken out of the game by reacting far too late.

When 4-0 down he has another absolute brain dead moment where he goes to head the ball clear and ends up heading straight back into the danger area for them to nearly score a 5th before he blocks the shot from his own mistake.

The argument will go on and on, but he absolutely not good enough if we want to improve as a team.

DevTheRed

Just now watching MOTD replays.. he has to be the most uncharismatic captain United have ever had. Never b*llocks anyone, never gets angry.. he just doesn’t do anything.

With a team that is massively lacking confidence, has no desire and no self belief surely it’s his responsibility to motivate his teammates.. they don’t respect him at all.

A video has been circulating recently of Roy Keane walking out early from the tunnel at Wolves and without any hesitation the whole team follows him onto the pitch against the officials request. That’s what we need at the moment.. someone out there demanding 110% and giving people that don’t a kick up the ar*e.

Don’t get me wrong problems go a lot deeper than just Maguire but it just irks me how little of a sh*t he gives on the pitch.

mancan92

This is the captain? How? What kind of stupidity is going on at the club? How many times have we been battered with him in the team? Yet he's still captain?

TOKUGAWA-X

You guys get my point, Maguire has secured the starting spot in the first 2 matches, he has been consistent and he practically cant be blamed for any goal.

Its now between how quick Martinez adapts to english football and Varane fitness, my bet is on Martinez because he is an ETH signing.

Sorry about the mix-up RCB, LCB.

Eddy_JukeZ

Kind of hilarious/sad since we signed him, our defense got worse with him in the side.

We've wasted so much money in the past 10 years.

Skills

Snitch
Kind of hilarious/sad since we signed him, our defense got worse with him in the side.

We've wasted so much money in the past 10 years.
You can argue our defence has gotten worse with every defensive signing over the last 5 years.

Smalling + Blind -> Bailly -> Lindelof -> Maguire. Verdicts open on Varane and Martinez, but if they follow the same trend they'll be worse than Maguire in a years time.

Trequarista10

I think he is a good player but playing him in a high defensive line, in a 442 is a disaster waiting to happen. We should move him on unless we switch to a back 5, or unless ETH suddenly decides we should park the bus and counter attack.

lsd

The Oracle
Just now watching MOTD replays.. he has to be the most uncharismatic captain United have ever had. Never b*llocks anyone, never gets angry.. he just doesn’t do anything.

A video has been circulating recently of Roy Keane walking out early from the tunnel at Wolves and without any hesitation the whole team follows him onto the pitch against the officials request. That’s what we need at the moment.. someone out there demanding 110% and giving people that don’t a kick up the ar*e.

Don’t get me wrong problems go a lot deeper than just Maguire but it just irks me how little of a sh*t he gives on the pitch.

They are too busy reminding him what side he is supposed to line up on

Jaykespeare88

At around 16mins he was ambling on the ball as usual, brentford player miles away, my river froze and 10 seconds later i see his stupid face making a feeble attempt to justify not getting a yellow card, needs to get GONE!

CarbonStoolBites

This is the captain? How? What kind of stupidity is going on at the club? How many times have we been battered with him in the team? Yet he's still captain?
There’s literally no one else to give the armband to, no one.
Ronaldo? He doesn’t want to be here
Bruno? He’s been absolutely woeful for eternity and is a moaner.
Varane? He can barely stay fit.
De Gea? He can’t command his box you expect him to command a team?
Rashford? Sancho? Dalot? Shaw? Fred? McTominay?
You look around and there’s literally no one worthy of being a captain here, may as well be Harry, he’s not very good but neither is anyone else, at least he’s always available and doesn’t want to feck off.

Maybe Martinez will do well and show the character and ability worthy of being named the captain of Manchester United, perhaps a new signing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When 4-0 down he has another absolute brain dead moment where he goes to head the ball clear and ends up heading straight back into the danger area for them to nearly score a 5th before he blocks the shot from his own mistake.
Not many paid attention to that but that was an abomination in terms of defending. I was gobsmacked when I saw that, in his mind, he has to connect with the ball, no matter where he sends it :houllier:

JeffFromHK

Not many paid attention to that but that was an abomination in terms of defending. I was gobsmacked when I saw that, in his mind, he has to connect with the ball, no matter where he sends it :houllier:
He always have these clumsy moments and it happens more on him than 90% of PL defenders. These clumsy moments happened to Rio Ferdinand or Vidic like 1-2 times a season, or 3-4 times for Evans or Smalling. But happen to Maguire 10-20 times every season in his career, including his time in Leicester or Hull.

That's why he concedes 1.4 goals per game in his career.

But our fans still scream "but he has great tackles per game stats"!

Kingofwinners

Remember he also gave the ball away just before the first goal. Maybe a bit much to blame him for the goal but his lack of ability just keeps putting us on back foot. For me he just has to go, we won’t get team spirit or confidence back with him in the team.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
They are too busy reminding him what side he is supposed to line up on

Its so funny that when DDG points out for the first time and he is just stood there stargazing :lol:

ti vu

The throw in leading to the first goal is similar. Ball hogging for no reason, and cause trouble out of nowhere.

You can blame Eriksen for directly losing possession, but there is no denying this is some typical Maguire nonsense football on display.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

The throw in leading to the first goal is similar. Ball hogging for no reason, and cause trouble out of nowhere.

You can blame Eriksen for directly losing possession, but there is no denying this is some typical Maguire nonsense football on display.
"ball hogging for no reason" is an apt description. We are trying to play a brand of football that our players aren't suited for in general but the players themselves do make some really really bad decisions. I get that the manager gives you a general template on how to play but my gosh, you have a brain, don't try passes that you know are put your teammates in deep trouble.

Mike Smalling

Every time I watch this clown play, I wonder what it was that made us pay £80m for him. Even setting the price tag aside, I can remember that people had high expectations to him. Not quite a van Dijk type improvement to our defense, but still people saw him as someone that could drastically improve us.

Now having watched him for 100+ games, I am genuinely not sure what his strengths are supposed to be. He's slow, doesn't have good timing, is bad on the ball, and doesn't show leadership. People will point to his ability in the air, but to me it seems like he just wrestles with people and hopes the ref doesn't call a foul on him. He hardly ever wins a duel in the air by outjumping the opponent - it's all pushing and shoving.

If I were to point to one player in the team that I would most like to piss off, it would be Slabhead.

JeffFromHK

I think Maguire's bad habit of ball hogging has not been mentioned enough. It is not due to tactics but to Maguire as a player himself, since all our other CBs don't have that habit.

He developed this habit since he had consistently played in teams battling relegation in first 7-8 years of his career. Hogging the ball buys your lower table team a 10 seconds of possession which is valuable for a team with 30% possession in the game (55 minutes x 30% = 16 minutes possession. If you hogg the ball 10 times a game and your goalkeep take 30 seconds to kick a goalkick for 10 times, you help your team waste 5 minutes)

But when you hog ball in a team on the front foot, you just invite pressure for your team and buys time for your opponent.

Last edited:

led_scholes

He is defender made for counter attacking /defensive football.

He is so slow at progressing the ball, and also so slow at reacting at counter attacks.

Some folks still try to say he is OK and he takes unnecessary blame bla bla bla. In the end, he is the most expensive defender in the world, and he is miles away from that level.

He should never play for us again. I don't even care if he is better than Martinez or Lindelof. He epitomizes everything is wrong with this club.

Mailo

Should've been thrown in jail in Greece and have the keys thrown away. Never United material. Never.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He is awful, not able to control and organize the defense.
Yeah maybe he was not directly at fault for most goals, but this opinion is so short-sighted.
Not saying he is completely useless, a good option for certain situations but surely not a starting CB for a team which wants to play dominating football.

Biggins

Varane is injury prone and I’m sure he will be injured in no time. However, until then we should be playing Varane and Lisandro. Varane has pace to save mistakes made by our midfield. The counterattack goal yesterday would not have been scored if Varane had played.

Idxomer

His yellow card was a pathetic piece of play.

If he can't make the pass to Dalot, then seriously what's the point of him?

Wing Attack Plan R

The entire team can't play ETH's way, not just Maguire. for months now it's been common knowledge here on the The CaF that Maguire's skillset would not work with ETH's demands, and yet ETH keeps picking him. that's not Maguire's fault. If you want him to play well, you have to do what England does and get everyone to sit behind the ball, play safe passes, and hope for a counter attack.

mancan92

There’s literally no one else to give the armband to, no one.
Ronaldo? He doesn’t want to be here
Bruno? He’s been absolutely woeful for eternity and is a moaner.
Varane? He can barely stay fit.
De Gea? He can’t command his box you expect him to command a team?
Rashford? Sancho? Dalot? Shaw? Fred? McTominay?
You look around and there’s literally no one worthy of being a captain here, may as well be Harry, he’s not very good but neither is anyone else, at least he’s always available and doesn’t want to feck off.

Maybe Martinez will do well and show the character and ability worthy of being named the captain of Manchester United, perhaps a new signing.
Think about it.... Literally any of those players would be a better captain. You cannot get worse than Maguire.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The man is absolutely terrified on the pitch and you can see it in his eyes. Just look at him. No steely determination. Pure fear.
He personifies what being out of your depth means.

as the captain and main man he's a total train wreck . He needs to be dropped and stripped of the armband and sold.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His yellow card was a pathetic piece of play.

If he can't make the pass to Dalot, then seriously what's the point of him?
Bad piece of play but at what point in that clip is the pass to Dalot on? He makes minimal effort to make an angle.

Throughout the game the rest of the team messed up simple passes too. But they don't apoear in meme videos.

Leftback99

I'll keep asking when I see this until someone can answer. Who should be captain instead?

JB7

How about looking at Dalot who goes and hides directly behind the Brentford striker despite Maguire quite clearly pointing for him to move wide to give him the passing option for a solid couple of seconds before Eriksen showed for the ball? It was patently obvious from the away end that Dalot was cowardly in that instance but with all the angles and replays available people still want to pin that on Maguire? :rolleyes:

ti vu

How about looking at Dalot who goes and hides directly behind the Brentford striker despite Maguire quite clearly pointing for him to move wide to give him the passing option for a solid couple of seconds before Eriksen showed for the ball? It was patently obvious from the away end that Dalot was cowardly in that instance but with all the angles and replays available people still want to pin that on Maguire? :rolleyes:
Did you watch our other games under EtH. Our full back tuck in. Go watch the game again. In another replay angle, you can see Sancho was out wide in line for a pass. Then ask yourself who Maguire signaled to? Sancho or Dalot.

And there is no reason to push forward to narrow passing angle further. Martinez is completely unmarked to the left for an east switch over to Shaw.

Edit:

0:10 in the video for better view of the pitch.

Last edited:

mancan92

I'll keep asking when I see this until someone can answer. Who should be captain instead?
Literally anyone in the team. Any other player. Whether they have been here 2 weeks or 2 years. Any of them. That's how bad a captain he has proven to be. No leadership ability. He has been involved in the worst beatings the club has ever had. Anyone else would be more inspiring.

Leftback99

Literally anyone in the team. Any other player. Whether they have been here 2 weeks or 2 years. Any of them. That's how bad a captain he has proven to be. No leadership ability. He has been involved in the worst beatings the club has ever had. Anyone else would be more inspiring.
No they wouldn't. Like De Gea yesterday? Ronaldo who didn't even want to acknowledge the fans? Sancho? Just nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.