Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
I'm hoping he plays well when he does feature, smashes it at the world cup and his stock recovers so we can sell him for a good fee in January or the summer.

Based Adnan

When he first arrived he said that United conceded most of their goals (around 70%) down the left side of defence last season, which is the side him and Shaw play on.

Martinez and Malacia were both brought in to add options to that side of the defence, but since Martinez arrived Maguire seems to have decided that he wants to play right side of defence, or Ten Hag has told him he can't play left side. What became really apparent is that he can't play right side to save his life, and looked really poor in the pre-season games where he did.

I think Lindelöf is above him in the pecking order now, it's hard to see where Maguire fit's in should someone get injured or suspended.
Lindelof is also a far better fit when it comes to replacing Varane who is the more likely of the two to need replacing due to his injury record.

I think he can play the clean up role to allow Martinez to continue being an aggressive front foot defender pretty well. Also arguably an improvement in ball playing. Maguire not so much. It's a big decision to make your captain 4th choice CB though so we'll have to see.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why would Chelsea want him when they have just signed 2 cbs who offer way more than him in the future?
It's Chelsea, things could go tits up with remarkable speed over there.
He's also kinda decent at a back 3 and they showed interest this very summer

Oranges038

It's Chelsea, things could go tits up with remarkable speed over there.
He's also kinda decent at a back 3 and they showed interest this very summer
He's decent in the England back 3 because he has 6 other defensive players around him.

el3mel

When you realize that Ole wasted 130m on Maguire and AWB, holy shit, imagine if this money was spent on better players.

Both are rotting on the bench under the immediate next permanent manager to get the job after Ole.

That's why we were telling people Ole's legacy is trash.

romufc

When you realize that Ole wasted 130m on Maguire and AWB, holy shit, imagine if this money was spent on better players.

Both are rotting on the bench under the immediate next permanent manager to get the job after Ole.

I guess we should stop spending money cause the hindsight police will be out in full force.

SydneyRoughDiamond

I think Maguire is a good centre back when played in a back 3. He is evidently at 0 confidence and is rightly sitting on the bench. Long term he will be sold, probably not until next summer at the earliest though, as his style of play doesnt fit into the way we are looking to progress under Ten Hag.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why have a captain that's not really a captain and does not start?
Again though what's it matter? Bruno is the captain on the pitch.

Maguire can sort the fines, and tickets out for players families... It doesn't effect anything.

Stripping him of the captaincy when we still expect him to play for us would be a weird move.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I guess we should stop spending money cause the hindsight police will be out in full force.
To be fair neither of those were ever worth the money spent on them. Ole should've known this if he had any sense. You didn't need any sort of hindsight to see that.

romufc

To be fair neither of those were ever worth the money spent on them. Ole should've known this if he had any sense. You didn't need any sort of hindsight to see that.
So we should not have spent money this summer ?

Antony, Martinez are both players we over paid for. So are you saying you would have preferred not to spend the money, or we should have signed cheaper alternatives?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The biggest problem with Maguire isn't that he's stagnated, but it's that he's been trying to do something he had never shown he was capable of in the first place.

At Hull he had Dawson, & Leicester Evans who were both very experienced defenders, and were always the ones to organise everything, but here he was parachuted in as our leader in our inexperienced defence.

What we got is what he always was. I do feel Maguire has suffered from us having no leaders at the back. I always felt that our biggest loss was Blind. Blind was the brains behind our defence, and we never replaced him. If we had Blind alongside Maguire these years (assuming he was healthy enough) I'm certain Maguire would've been much better for us.

Tony247

He is too nice a gentleman to be a CB. You should be that in your personal life but should be a proper cnt on the field.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Antony, Martinez are both players we over paid for. So are you saying you would have preferred not to spend the money, or we should have signed cheaper alternatives?
you don’t seem to understand We should’ve NEVER spent 130 million on maguire and AWB anyone with half a brain could see that. One was already a joke player and one had a a decent season with palace. That money could’ve and should’ve been saved and used on players that would improve us.

we’ve bought much better players this window that’s obvious already. ETH knows who he wants so There’s a difference between buying smart and buying for the sake of buying which Ole did.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I liked Maguire but never thought that he was worth half of what we paid. I didn't know much about AWB but remember vividly a lot of posters questioning the signing at any price and it was for the weaknesses that he has showed since 2019, @Adnan being the most vocal against him and absolutely spot on.

Those 130m have been extremely poorly spent and a lot of people saw it coming.

romufc

you don’t seem to understand We should’ve NEVER spent 130 million on maguire and AWB anyone with half a brain could see that. One was already a joke player and one had a a decent season with palace. That money could’ve and should’ve been saved and used on players that would improve us.

we’ve bought much better players this window that’s obvious already. ETH knows who he wants so There’s a difference between buying smart and buying for the sake of buying which Ole did.
Which is why its called Hindsight, which is what you dont seem to understand.

How do you know we have bought better players? If you are saying we bought so many better players, we should easily finish top 4 right? Cause we have spent 230m on players who are justified?

Antony for 100m is not justified btw. Casemiro for £60m. If we dont get top 4, it is money not well spent.

JPRouve

Scout
Which is why its called Hindsight, which is what you dont seem to understand.

How do you know we have bought better players? If you are saying we bought so many better players, we should easily finish top 4 right? Cause we have spent 230m on players who are justified?

Antony for 100m is not justified btw. Casemiro for £60m. If we dont get top 4, it is money not well spent.
How is it hindsight when people mentioned it before the transfers even happened? Isn't that supposed to be foresight?

romufc

I liked Maguire but never thought that he was worth half of what we paid. I didn't know much about AWB but remember vividly a lot of posters questioning the signing at any price and it was for the weaknesses that he has showed since 2019, @Adnan being the most vocal against him and absolutely spot on.

Those 130m have been extremely poorly spent and a lot of people saw it coming.
The thing is, I am not justifying the 130m spend, I am saying is it is hindsight saying oh we wasted 130m. I mean we have spend 1bn plus with nothing to show for it, we have wasted money for years, why is everyone just pointing to the 130m for 2 players?

I like Antony as a player too but are you saying he is worth 100m? based on what?

RedDevil@84

Spending 80M to get Harry was always stupid. No hindsight needed for that. Unless of course you believed every nonsensical things English media and fans talked about Maguire and genuinely believed Maguire was the English VVD.

JPRouve

Scout
The thing is, I am not justifying the 130m spend, I am saying is it is hindsight saying oh we wasted 130m. I mean we have spend 1bn plus with nothing to show for it, we have wasted money for years, why is everyone just pointing to the 130m for 2 players?

I like Antony as a player too but are you saying he is worth 100m? based on what?
It's not hindsight when people said it before the transfers happened. Repeating that it's hindsight won't change the timeline.

Edit: I will quote myself in june 2019 to illustrate my point:

" For me VVD is very good but overhyped, Maguire is good but extremely overhyped. If Maguire was very good, I would still complain about the fee but I wouldn't be worried about having to replace him in 2021. We are talking about a player that is this season unfavorably compared to Evans by Leicester's fans. "

NewYorkRed

His ManUtd career is done. Gotta hope he plays well whenever he gets a chance, has a good WC, and we move him on for a respectable fee. He is pretty much the symbol of the Ole reign: Overrated, overpriced, mentally weak.

theklr

Had very good defensive record for a very long while , so they did what they were supposed to until the dressing room/morale broke down

But yeah, this is what happens when you dont have any structure in place - need to change half the team for every manager

romufc

How is it hindsight when people mentioned it before the transfers even happened? Isn't that supposed to be foresight?
Okay so you think Antony is worth 100m? Cause that is what I was pointing to. Because we cant get the player for the his value.

JPRouve

Scout
Okay so you think Antony is worth 100m? Cause that is what I was pointing to. Because we cant get the player for the his value.
The question isn't about Antony but about people opinion on Maguire. Regarding Antony I don't have the same experience with him, I doubt that today he is worth 100m but I don't have a good understanding of his potential which prevents me from having a strong opinion since it's a big part of his appeal.

Now interestingly we are talking about players that are at different stages of their careers, Maguire was signed at 26 and he had no continental club competition experience which in my experience is a good way to gauge the level of player. So if you compare a 22 years old Antony against a 26 years old Maguire, I can tell you that the 22 years old Antony has shown a level of performance against CL clubs that Maguire didn't at 26. But that's beside the point.

romufc

The question isn't about Antony but about people opinion on Maguire. Regarding Antony I don't have the same experience with him, I doubt that today he is worth 100m but I don't have a good understanding of his potential which prevents me from having a strong opinion since it's a big part of his appeal.

Now interestingly we are talking about players that are at different stages of their careers, Maguire was signed at 26 and he had no continental club competition experience which in my experience is a good way to gauge the level of player. So if you compare a 22 years old Antony against a 26 years old Maguire, I can tell you that the 22 years old Antony has shown a level of performance against CL clubs that Maguire didn't at 26. But that's beside the point.
I know what the point was, Maguire and AWB was a waste of money because they are now on the bench.

My point is, how do you know spending 140m or whatever we have spent on Lisandro and Antony, in 3 years they will be guaranteed starters? You dont know that.

Yep, Maguire had world cup experience too.

The market is all about supply and demand. United had a demand for a CB and Leicester had the supply, the more United for desperate the higher the price, its literally the same as Antony.

Also, I have gone back to when we signed Maguire, alot of fans were excited and happy.

Tallis

I could see him doing quite well in Italy. The reality is that he is not as current performances suggest. His confidence is destroyed and he has become a little bit of a meme. I could see him going to Juventus in the future.

AndySmith1990

I know what the point was, Maguire and AWB was a waste of money because they are now on the bench.

My point is, how do you know spending 140m or whatever we have spent on Lisandro and Antony, in 3 years they will be guaranteed starters? You dont know that.

The market is all about supply and demand. United had a demand for a CB and Leicester had the supply, the more United for desperate the higher the price, its literally the same as Antony.

Also, I have gone back to when we signed Maguire, alot of fans were excited and happy.
If the only decent defender available in the whole of world football was Maguire, the supply and demand argument would work. But he wasn't the only one available. For £80m there's a lot of supply across the continent

JPRouve

Scout

Indeed, I don't know about Lisandro and Antony which is why I said nothing about whether they will be good or bad purchases. What are you trying to show?

romufc

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-signed.447781/page-96#post-24376626
"I'll pay the money for him. He's the best defender we can get this market, as Koulibaly is an unrealistic target.

I wanted him last summer too."

"Yep. Let's not sign any players because everyone is overpriced. Who cares about winning stuff and finishing high in the table. These are unimportant aspects of a football club. Keep the moral stanch high."

This was Emmel when we signed Maguire... Talk about foresight....

JPRouve

Scout
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-signed.447781/page-96#post-24376626
"I'll pay the money for him. He's the best defender we can get this market, as Koulibaly is an unrealistic target.

"Yep. Let's not sign any players because everyone is overpriced. Who cares about winning stuff and finishing high in the table. These are unimportant aspects of a football club. Keep the moral stanch high."

So only El3mel opinion counts? Good to know.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No, literally his point is that many thought even before the deals were official that it was a waste of money and both players had severe deficiencies for the prices we were paying. And trying to compare that to signing Casemiro, a fecking 4x UCL winner and one of the best DM’s of the past 20 years is daft. Neither Maguire nor AWB had anything close to that experience. On the contrary, both spent much of their careers fighting relegation

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But he wasn't the only one available.
True.

Maguire is a run-of-the-mill player on the top level. He's better than some people think/pretend, but he obviously was never worth that kind of money - and he can easily enough be replaced.

A competent DOF wouldn't go for a player like Maguire when he's priced at a record (or close) level. That goes without saying - and it's what many fans said too at the time.

Of course there were alternatives - who would've cost much less.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Surprised to see so many writing him off. I expect to see him play in plenty of games, whether through injury to others or just rotation, we need a squad not just 2 CBs.

Olecurls99

:lol: Zing

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

You know there's a search option for old posts? Dangerous saying stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.