Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Every game he’s started this year we haven’t been able to build from the back, and ultimately we’ve lost.

Mmm-Qatarian

Defensively solid. His build-up play was lacking though, and this was especially apparent once Martinez was introduced.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He cannot build up from the back at all. Lindelof a bit better at it. Huge difference when Martinez came on.

Madness we paid 80 million for him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Every game he’s started this year we haven’t been able to build from the back, and ultimately we’ve lost.
The games he hasn't played we didn't try play out from the back.

Cathy Ferguson

I wonder if we could sell him in January to Leicester as a Fofana replacement? They need a CB and have cash.

Sylar

I don't know why but it reminded me of a fellaini performance where he looked decentish but the whole team looked bad with him in (obviously not his fault... Fully)

With him on the right, he only comes in if varane isn't fit

Pronewbie

Peep
It's clear that Varane and Martinez are levels above him. They defend and build up better. I was very annoyed at 1 point during additional time that he was more interested in ordering players around than making himself available for a simple pass while La Real were pressing us on the halfway line.

Also counted 2 one-on-one instances where he could have easily recovered the ball but struggled to because of his diabolical balance while back-pedalling.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The opponent creates absolutely nothing for 90 minutes yet people are still looking for and somehow finding flaws. Absolutely amazing. The agenda is real.... :lol:

OverratedOpinion

Didn't do anything wrong.

He looks really uncertain anytime the ball comes to him but he didn't actually give it away so I guess it doesn't matter other than to our nerves.

Crashoutcassius

The opponent creates absolutely nothing for 90 minutes yet people are still looking for and somehow finding flaws. Absolutely amazing. The agenda is real.... :lol:
It's been like this for years. I can't work out why. Used to think it was hipster wierdness. We have a strong anti English vibe washing through our online fanbase too. But over time I just can't work out what it is.

He is the only player that a fan will post ' I just look at him and get angry' and not listen to themselves speak and comprehend that it is their problem.

jesperjaap

Its already obvious to see we have been starved of decent centre backs for so long that people were defending Lindelof as a good ball playing centre back, similar wth Some for Maguire.

Both are terrrible building the ball from the back.They can pass but they are both so slow on te ball an dso naware of players around them so often playing a sideways pass or going backwards....and neither are quality defensively either.

The big improvement so far this season has simply been at the back for us. We have players with intelligence, belief and desire and potentially a back foru unit.

I am hoping ANtony can bring a lot to us attacking wise as even without Lindelof and Maguire slowing the play down, we simply dont look good going forward unless its agaisnt teams we can hit on the break, that is all we offer really, has been for a while.

Still personally hold the opinion I have for a couple of years, take away Varane and Martinez, would happily sell all of our other centre backs Bailly, Maguire, Lindelof, Jones, Tuanzabe and replace them with a couple of decent young centre backs to challenge Varane and Martinez, Bella Kotchap is one if Ragnick was listened to we could hav ebeen in for as an example

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just sell him on a discount and be done with it

Sick of he's not doing a foot wrong he's back.

Just sell him. Move him on. He's not an academy graduate, we owe him nothing. We gave him captaincy and a granr contract worth of world class calibre.

We need players who can be depended on, not having to worry which version of Maguire playing this week, the humpty or the dumpty

Not to mention his mouthing off and general smugness

Relic of the past

CarbonStoolBites

I thought he was ok to be fair, but the combination of his face and that willfully hideous haircut just make me feel incredibly uneasy whenever I see him play.
Its a problem.

caid

He just takes too many touches. Spends too long on the ball. Will take 5 touches when 2 was enough. Shouldn't be scanning the field every time he touches the ball. Keep it moving.

RedDevilQuebecois

Defensively solid. His build-up play was lacking though, and this was especially apparent once Martinez was introduced.
No build-up play, no fun.

That is the reality of a modern centre-back. Top teams won't cut with CBs being this bad at being part of the attacking build-up.

liman

The fact that we lost whenever he start should be strong reason to keep him on the bench. Shite luck and all that

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
My favourite moments with him are when he could do with one simple pass to a teammate, but he decided to bring the ball himself to the other side, slows the game down, and then passes it to a same teammate who is already under more pressure than he was 4 seconds before that.

led_scholes

Him and DDG can't work. You can't have two players who are need ten minutes to pass the ball or they just hoof it.

Mailo

Fat, lazy and low IQ feckir. Had all the attributes to make it. But this one's on the club. Not getting rid and rewarding mediocrity.

RopersReturn

You can’t blame Harry for everything although he is still the club captain, and with that should shoulder some responsibility. Also is it a coincidence that we’ve lost the last 3 matches he’s started in?

Kostov

He was head and shoulders our best player yet some of you are looking for something to blame him. And yes his build up play was good also, our midfield consistent of Casemiro and Fred was dreadful and destroyed any bit of cohesion we had.

Amarsdd

He was head and shoulders our best player yet some of you are looking for something to blame him. And yes his build up play was good also, our midfield consistent of Casemiro and Fred was dreadful and destroyed any bit of cohesion we had.
We didn't score a single goal! Ofcourse, its Maguire's fault! Get with it man!

Kostov

We didn't score a single goal! Ofcourse, its Maguire's fault! Get with it man!
We had 2 midfielders in Casemiro and Fred who played like amateurs, but Maguire was so slow in the build up you know? It was all down to him holding on the ball for a 0.5seconds more than usual.

Zen86

He didn’t do much wrong, but then again it’s cool to abuse Maguire at every opportunity. That said, I don’t think he’s going to fit the type of game ETH wants to play.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Fat, lazy and low IQ feckir. Had all the attributes to make it. But this one's on the club. Not getting rid and rewarding mediocrity.
Just sell him on a discount and be done with it

Sick of he's not doing a foot wrong he's back.

Just sell him. Move him on. He's not an academy graduate, we owe him nothing. We gave him captaincy and a granr contract worth of world class calibre.

We need players who can be depended on, not having to worry which version of Maguire playing this week, the humpty or the dumpty

Not to mention his mouthing off and general smugness

Relic of the past
Is this serious critique of his performance or just puerile abuse, given even the haters are saying he was fine last night (I didn't see the game)?

Kostov

No he wasnt. Defensively he was solid, but he didnt offer anything else and often bogged down the progression of play.
He offered good and incentive passing from the back what else did you expect from him? Or how have Varane and Martinez offered more in comparison these last past 4 games? Truth is, they haven't instead they had a working midfield in front of them. Both him and Lindelof were solid and functioning IMO. In fact the only serious chance Sociedad had was when Sorloth got that header against Martinez ( and that was a foul I think).

Kostov

Is this serious critique of his performance or just puerile abuse, given even the haters are saying he was fine last night (I didn't see the game)?
Those two probably haven't seen the game also, just the result on livescore. Maguire was okey, IMO our best player.

Lyng

He offered good and incentive passing from the back what else did you expect from him? Or how have Varane and Martinez offered more in comparison these last past 4 games? Truth is, they haven't instead they had a working midfield in front of them. Both him and Lindelof were solid and functioning IMO. In fact the only serious chance Sociedad had was when Sorloth got that header against Martinez ( and that was a foul I think).
He didnt. He is to slow and often moves with the ball when he should simply let it go. He simply doesnt work in a Ten Hag system, which a lot of us predicted.
Varane isnt the best passer but he understands his limitations and passes the ball on right away, which removes the issues. Maguire doesnt. He holds on to the ball to long. It doesnt matter how precise your passing is when you dont let the ball go until every teammate is marked.
Its absolutely not his fault we didnt win yesterday, but he was far from our best player.

sugar_kane

Wasn’t terrible, but is so slow in everything he does.

Lacking confidence perhaps, no chance of that being repaired though when our own fans groan at literally everything he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.