Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlPistacho

This story about Harry Maguire being “frustrated” with de Gea actually first came out on the mirror or sun. I looked on here but at the time there were no comments.

My thoughts. Harry Maguire, or his camp, have completely misread the room and shown an utter lack of understanding as to why Maguire is disliked by the fan base.
To try and protect him, they’ve done all the off the field things that make many people think he is one of worst ever captains. Eg lack of accountability, playing the victim, and blaming everyone but himself.

I think picking out De Gea is a cheap shot. They’ve probably assessed who is the player that a lot of fans have doubts about or want replacing and come up with De Gea.

Whatever your views on De Gea, history is written and cannot be changed. He was our best player and regular “points saver” for at least 5 seasons. In any other United team over the past 30 years he’d have several league titles, domestic cups, and probably a CL medal. And people would be saying he was the best in our history.

Could it be right keeper at the wrong time? But then again imagine where we would have finished all those seasons he was making several world class saves every match.

Finally football is about memories and moments. Most of the best memories post SAF, even during SAF last year or 2. Include De Gea making extraordinary saves.

Maguire on the other hand ? What’s he remembered for? Pulling down Luke Shaw, head butting Ronaldo, injuring Pogba, that random dribble where he looked drunk and is basically a meme.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I don't agree with the idea that we need to get a decent fee because of what we paid.

The money's gone, get what you can. If that means £20m, I'd look at that as an extra £20m for ETH to put towards next new player, than £60m lost.

He wasn't good enough previously, he's certainly not good enough for ETH style of play. Get rid, take the cash, lose the wages, move on.

Kaos

I don't agree with the idea that we need to get a decent fee because of what we paid.

The money's gone, get what you can. If that means £20m, I'd look at that as an extra £20m for ETH to put towards next new player, than £60m lost.

He wasn't good enough previously, he's certainly not good enough for ETH style of play. Get rid, take the cash, lose the wages, move on.
Agreed, I'm chalking Ole's tenure off as one big waste of money - Wan Bissaka, Maguire and Ole's sacking payout himself. Just chalk it off as an L, move all of them on so we can go forward.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Didnt say much wrong apart from the idiot word. But that said there are a lot of idiots on twitter.
Agree on both counts. He does look somewhat smashed though, although that isn’t the worst thing either given the context.

JB7

To be clear, it is ridiculous allowing this kind of thing to come out, whether it's him that's said it or someone close to him, there is no sense allowing any of these type of stories to come out at any point, let alone while your own game is still poor.

But, is any of it wrong? Everyone on the Caf has said it was clear Maguire needs pace around him ever since we signed him, it's been obvious to a blind man on a running horse that his confidence has been rock bottom for a long time now and people are finally cottoning on to the issues De Gea causes by being an on field mute and never leaving his line.

I repeat - no way on earth should this have ever been allowed to be leaked or even said out loud to anyone let alone a journalist, and if this is an approach led by Maguire himself then obviously he should leave the club, but the quotes aren't wrong.

AussieDevil

He had one of the fastest defenses around him with Varane, AWB and Shaw last season and he looked a shambles. He looked bad next to Martinez at the start of this season as well. I don’t get what kind of pace he is looking for?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He had one of the fastest defenses around him with Varane, AWB and Shaw last season and he looked a shambles. He looked bad next to Martinez at the start of this season as well. I don’t get what kind of pace he is looking for?
He probably got time to the end of the season to show at least strength and confidence in his own box.

With Bailly almost gone for good, think Lindelof could be next, but who knows since academy couldn't produce huge talent from quite a while. If we'll have budget for next summer to spend solely on central defender then maybe something interesting will happen...

JB7

Thought this was an interesting point so looked into it a little. Those 4 players started a total of 5 league games together last season. We won 4 of those games and lost 1, the one we lost was Aston Villa at home where both Shaw and Maguire went off injured with the score at 0-0.

Robertd0803

Former England Manager Seven- Goran Eriksson said Maguire and Shaw shouldn't be in the England team.
Well hes right. Neither one of them have played in 5 or 6 games and are woefully out of form and match fitness.

Gazza

There are a thousand journalists, freelancers, vloggers and tweet handles whose sole means for living is digging up, speculating or inventing ‘newslike’ stories about football players. Their interest in the English players is tenfold that of anybody else.

A ‘leak’ is an employed who tells outsiders of things that she has agreed upon not telling. Leaked information forms about a hundreth part of a journalists output of information. On twitter, you can narrow that down to a millionth, probably.
Story came from Mark Ogden.

loop

selling him asap. who does he think he is? workrate and teamwork is the most important thing in football he has now of that.

so called captain. captain my ars*

clarkydaz

To be clear, it is ridiculous allowing this kind of thing to come out, whether it's him that's said it or someone close to him, there is no sense allowing any of these type of stories to come out at any point, let alone while your own game is still poor.

But, is any of it wrong? Everyone on the Caf has said it was clear Maguire needs pace around him ever since we signed him, it's been obvious to a blind man on a running horse that his confidence has been rock bottom for a long time now and people are finally cottoning on to the issues De Gea causes by being an on field mute and never leaving his line.

I repeat - no way on earth should this have ever been allowed to be leaked or even said out loud to anyone let alone a journalist, and if this is an approach led by Maguire himself then obviously he should leave the club, but the quotes aren't wrong.
The quotes arent wrong in he doesnt belong in the team anymore. unless we uproot the defence and goalkeeper and get a manager that likes protecting his defenders. He has talked himself out of the club

Get In Scholesy

get this shit house outta here.

Also, any player who starts spouting off at the international break needs to be fecked off immediately.
Run a tight ship with only players that want to be here and have nothing but good to say about the club.

Irwin99

There's maybe some merit in these quotes although the defence wasn't exactly tight the year before either-44 goals conceded and its debatable whether if Dias and Maguire were switched that their fortunes would greatly differ. I think Maguire would look better with City obviously but would Dias and Varane/Lindelof be so bad? I'm not sure. It seems a weird thing to say.

I think the frustration is, you're an 80 million pound defender but the fact that you need a specific set of conditions for you to be even remotely good is actually a bit mental. Also Shaw and AWB aren't exactly slouches in the pace department (positionally is another matter).

To be clear he didn't set the price tag or ask for the captaincy, i've always felt sorry for him in that regard, but he comes across very poorly at times. From teammates telling him to f off, to this business with de Gea and his preference for playing with Henderson , to the supposed antagonism with Ronaldo, and his celebration against the mighty Andorra, it's just not looking good. The more and more I think about the captaincy thing was just utterly ridiculous. The club wanted him to be something he clearly isn't.

Chief123

I don’t get why players let out/speak random shit while on international duty as if they aren’t going to return back to the club.

Deanor44

I don't agree with the booing and name calling when it comes to Maguire. Replacing Maguire in the squad will not be the silver bullet to the leaks that everyone here seems to think it is but I do think he has a responsibility as captain to publicly rubbish these stories especially when another player's name is mentioned. ETH knows the job he has to do at utd and in some cases he will back players if privately he knows he needs rid of them. So I think we as fans need to have a similar approach. If Maguire was any way intelligent he would ask to be relieved of the captaincy saying he wishes to concentrate on his own form and the fight to get back into a winning utd side and subsequently secure his england place. I do not think he is that kind of person though. As many posted I do think ETH is praying he has a really good world cup so utd can move him on for some degree of value (£20 to £25 mill best case scenario) and both parties draw a line under the sideshow.

Grande

I think you’re right about most of the contents of the quotes. I know you (and quite a few others) have been very critical of De Gea reagarding our general defensive effectiveness. Shaw is said to have had one good season and being positionally suspect and fat. Wan Bissaka is accused of being a waste of money. The Lindelöf thread is two/three guys claiming he is a decent defender, and a thousand posts claiming those three must have an agenda because he is a fraud. Bailly is termed a madman. If all these are as bad as their threads make it appear, Solskjær must have been a tactical genious to land them on third and second place. I’ll check the Solskjær thread … wait. You nuanced your critique of De Gea in an understandable and laudable way, but most of the posts in here is just … emotional spew.

What surprises me, though, is that when Giorgio Chiellini, Brandon Williams and ‘Source close to Maguire’ all simultaneously defend Maguire claiming he is a good defender and a good lad, a lot of people think this must be Harryleaks orchestrated by Maguire himself, and not the far more obvious: A host of journous asking the same questions to a host of people at the same time - because people continuously booing the England captain is a news story - and three people have answered.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I think you’re right about most of the contents of the quotes. I know you (and quite a few others) have been very critical of De Gea reagarding our general defensive effectiveness. Shaw is said to have had one good season and being positionally suspect and fat. Wan Bissaka is accused of being a waste of money. The Lindelöf thread is two/three guys claiming he is a decent defender, and a thousand posts claiming those three must have an agenda because he is a fraud. Bailly is termed a madman. If all these are as bad as their threads make it appear, Solskjær must have been a tactical genious to land them on third and second place. I’ll check the Solskjær thread … wait. You nuanced your critique of De Gea in an understandable and laudable way, but most of the posts in here is just … emotional spew.

What surprises me, though, is that when Giorgio Chiellini, Brandon Williams and ‘Source close to Maguire’ all simultaneously defend Maguire claiming he is a good defender and a good lad, a lot of people think this must be Harryleaks orchestrated by Maguire himself, and not the far more obvious: A host of journous asking the same questions to a host of people at the same time - because people continuously booing the England captain is a news story - and three people have answered.
Is Harry Kane not the England captain?

Longshanks

He has not done himself any favours with these quotes (if there genuine) but he's not in bad company when it comes to accusing de gea of causing defensive issues.

Its rumoured that Pique and Ramos said the very same about De gea after the 2018 World Cup.

Ghostrider318

This story about Harry Maguire being “frustrated” with de Gea actually first came out on the mirror or sun. I looked on here but at the time there were no comments.

My thoughts. Harry Maguire, or his camp, have completely misread the room and shown an utter lack of understanding as to why Maguire is disliked by the fan base.
To try and protect him, they’ve done all the off the field things that make many people think he is one of worst ever captains. Eg lack of accountability, playing the victim, and blaming everyone but himself.

I think picking out De Gea is a cheap shot. They’ve probably assessed who is the player that a lot of fans have doubts about or want replacing and come up with De Gea.

Whatever your views on De Gea, history is written and cannot be changed. He was our best player and regular “points saver” for at least 5 seasons. In any other United team over the past 30 years he’d have several league titles, domestic cups, and probably a CL medal. And people would be saying he was the best in our history.

Could it be right keeper at the wrong time? But then again imagine where we would have finished all those seasons he was making several world class saves every match.

Finally football is about memories and moments. Most of the best memories post SAF, even during SAF last year or 2. Include De Gea making extraordinary saves.

Maguire on the other hand ? What’s he remembered for? Pulling down Luke Shaw, head butting Ronaldo, injuring Pogba, that random dribble where he looked drunk and is basically a meme.
You forgot the montage of his getting rinsed over and over again with players just running past him with ease

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Definitely, I agree. I am the first person to want de gea to be replaced, but he will ALWAYS ALWAYS be backed ahead of these clowns, regardless if he's making 1 mistake or 100.

SAF signing that kept the goalkeeper position safe, Premier league winner, title winner. He will forever be remembered as our premier league winning goalkeeper who stole the donuts and had reflexes like a cat, and Maguire will always be the huge failure. He chose the wrong target.

Gazza

Who is a journalist, right?
if you think a journalist who has been on the beat for twenty years, main correspondent for a major newspaper, and with access to top players (access that he needs to protect by not fabricating any old nonsense), is just going to make something salacious up and attribute it to a source close to the player, then you are incredibly naive.

Gazza

For people who think Mark Ogden hasn’t properly sourced the article, consider this:

April 2021
Harry Maguire grants Mark Ogden an Exclusive interview

May 2022
Unprompted, Ogden defends Maguire and redirects blame towards Lindelof

I am almost flabbergasted that people might think Mark Ogden is going to jeopardize his relationship with and access to Maguire by falsifying a story for a one-time hit.

Grande

if you think a journalist who has been on the beat for twenty years, main correspondent for a major newspaper, and with access to top players (access that he needs to protect by not fabricating any old nonsense), is just going to make something salacious up and attribute it to a source close to the player, then you are incredibly naive.
If you think I think Mark Ogden will plainly make up a ‘close source quote’, based on what I wrote, then you are almost illiterate. Of course, I don’t think you’re almost illiterate, and you don’t think I’m incredibly naive (once you’ve thought through it again).

Gazza

If you think I think Mark Ogden will plainly make up a ‘close source quote’, based on what I wrote, then you are almost illiterate. Of course, I don’t think you’re almost illiterate, and you don’t think I’m incredibly naive (once you’ve thought through it again).
haha good grief whatever dude

Grande

haha good grief whatever dude
What, you thought it was cool to imply I am ‘incredibly naive’ without even reading my post thoroughly? No, that’s not cool.

Saying ‘whatever’ doesn’t do much about that.

If you read the text you answered, you’ll realize that Ogden’s tweet is just one case in a general point, and it is fitting as such because he is a journalist, and his job is digging up stories about the more fetching names in football. Other people are vloggers etc, and other people speculate and even invent stuff, and they’re all lumped in the same heap by more than a few people here claiming as a fact that such-and-such player ‘leaks’ this, that and the other, which is what I criticized.

RopersReturn

Just as I thought, he’s kicking off now he’s been deselected. Until we can get a fair price somehow, he’s going to be toxic from here on in. Brace yourselves it’s going to be a messy divorce. Cheers Ole.

Last edited:

Gazza

What, you thought it was cool to imply I am ‘incredibly naive’ without even reading my post thoroughly? No, that’s not cool.

Saying ‘whatever’ doesn’t do much about that.

If you read the text you answered, you’ll realize that Ogden’s tweet is just one case in a general point, and it is fitting as such because he is a journalist, and his job is digging up stories about the more fetching names in football. Other people are vloggers etc, and other people speculate and even invent stuff, and they’re all lumped in the same heap by more than a few people here claiming as a fact that such-and-such player ‘leaks’ this, that and the other, which is what I criticized.
Ok. For the record, I didn’t imply anything: I literally said that if you believe XYZ, then you are naive. I will stand by that. You are being way too sensitive imo and I don’t think it’s worth continuing this discussion for that reason. Have a good day!

432JuanMata

No surprise he’s started 3 games and we lost yet was benched for 5 and we won them all. He’s not as bad as fans make out but it’s obvious that his confidence is shot so his level is poor.
He’s a good CB unfortunately that is not good enough for us

marcus agrippa

He has not done himself any favours with these quotes (if there genuine) but he's not in bad company when it comes to accusing de gea of causing defensive issues.
Doesn't seem to be doing Varane or Martinez any harm, does he?

I hope the boo-boys keep coming for this waster. He's mentally weak, and keeps shifting the blame. Seems like his camp are onto a winner with that de Gea stuff seeing as how some of you can't see past Maguire's blame-game schtick.

Maguire is a meme for a reason. 'Arry Maguire!

Status
Not open for further replies.