Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

little.triangles

He has not done himself any favours with these quotes (if there genuine) but he's not in bad company when it comes to accusing de gea of causing defensive issues.

Its rumoured that Pique and Ramos said the very same about De gea after the 2018 World Cup.
Hopefully both De Gea and Maguire are replaced next summer because both those positions need an upgrade at the club. The difference is that De Gea will be remembered fondly as a great shot-stopper albeit a limited passer who was player of the year multiple times, and as a consummate professional who admitted his fault in post-match interviews. Maguire will be remembered as a slow-turning tanker who struck gold with the United captaincy, who never took responsibility for his own performance let alone inspire that in others, and who tried to leverage the English media to his own ends.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Remember when it was said Maguire wanted the club to recruit English players to avoid “communication issues”. It now looks like that wasn’t bullshit. What an absolute cnut Maguire is…

Chief123

He has not done himself any favours with these quotes (if there genuine) but he's not in bad company when it comes to accusing de gea of causing defensive issues.

Its rumoured that Pique and Ramos said the very same about De gea after the 2018 World Cup.
Maguire has done Utd and Ten Haag a huge favour with these quotes. It makes it so much easier for ETH to strip him of his captaincy and sell him than it was before the quotes. It’s the best thing Maguire has done since signing for us.

Greck

Why is everyone surprised about Harry blame shifting? This is just the standard that was established once he got here. For like a year straight, while the shiny new toy syndrome was still in effect pundits and fans made it customary to always bring up his partner when he made a mistake, you weren't allowed to attribute his own red flags to him. In his mind this is the established normal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
To be clear, it is ridiculous allowing this kind of thing to come out, whether it's him that's said it or someone close to him, there is no sense allowing any of these type of stories to come out at any point, let alone while your own game is still poor.

But, is any of it wrong? Everyone on the Caf has said it was clear Maguire needs pace around him ever since we signed him, it's been obvious to a blind man on a running horse that his confidence has been rock bottom for a long time now and people are finally cottoning on to the issues De Gea causes by being an on field mute and never leaving his line.

I repeat - no way on earth should this have ever been allowed to be leaked or even said out loud to anyone let alone a journalist, and if this is an approach led by Maguire himself then obviously he should leave the club, but the quotes aren't wrong.
Literally every player ever would be better if you put objectively better player next to them. So yeah, it’s not wrong. The question is, has Maguire done enough individually to shift the blame for his disastrous performances on his teammates? And the answer to that question is a resounding no.

JB7

Literally every player ever would be better if you put objectively better player next to them. So yeah, it’s not wrong. The question is, has Maguire done enough individually to shift the blame for his disastrous performances on his teammates? And the answer to that question is a resounding no.
Where in those tweets does it mention playing with an “objectively better player”?

Grande

Ok. For the record, I didn’t imply anything: I literally said that if you believe XYZ, then you are naive. I will stand by that. You are being way too sensitive imo and I don’t think it’s worth continuing this discussion for that reason. Have a good day!
Well, maybe I’m too sensitive, and maybe you are too insensitive. It’s worth noting, though, that I didn’t quit the argument at hand, you did, so maybe you are a bit sensitive too? ;) Have a good day regardless.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maguire has done Utd and Ten Haag a huge favour with these quotes. It makes it so much easier for ETH to strip him of his captaincy and sell him than it was before the quotes. It’s the best thing Maguire has done since signing for us.
Maguire hasnt said anything though?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brandon Williams. Captain of Manchester United. Frightening thought.

Longshanks

Doesn't seem to be doing Varane or Martinez any harm, does he?

I hope the boo-boys keep coming for this waster. He's mentally weak, and keeps shifting the blame. Seems like his camp are onto a winner with that de Gea stuff seeing as how some of you can't see past Maguire's blame-game schtick.

Maguire is a meme for a reason. 'Arry Maguire!

Maguire has admitted to having a poor season himself. There seems to be some consensus that maguire is the cause of all of our ills last season and a couple of positive results (non of which were in anyway convincing) without him in the side have prooven that beyond any doubt. Which of course is nonsense.

He should probably do himself a favour and avoid social media, but clearly he hasn't and has felt the need to defend himself a little, against the cesspool of keyboard Warriors.

You say de gea hasn't caused varabe and martinez any problems, give it time, currently we have on average had the deepest defensive line in the PL this season. Let's see what happens when they have to push up an defend higher and take more risks.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Part of the problem for me, couple of words that you know you've not been great - hold your team mates in high regard and you are working harder than ever to regain your place and form that saw you awarded captain the first place. Simple

RedMistyDevil

He commented on how he liked an Instagram post about Ronaldo by accident not too long ago. If "sources close to Maguire" are saying stuff he doesn't agree with, he could come out and refute Ogden's report, especially seeing as how the piece is not getting him any positive PR from the fans.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He commented on how he liked an Instagram post about Ronaldo by accident not too long ago. If "sources close to Maguire" are saying stuff he doesn't agree with, he could come out and refute Ogden's report, especially seeing as how the piece is not getting him any positive PR from the fans.
So Maguire hasnt said anything.

AlPistacho

I don't know how that was a compliment! :lol:

Chiellini you cheeky b@astard.
Yeah. To me it seems like it was a bit of an insult. “She’s no supermodel, but after a few drinks most guys would fancy her” kind of comment, also he was probably pressed by the journalist to give his thoughts on a player who he knows little about.

AlPistacho

Didnt say much wrong apart from the idiot word. But that said there are a lot of idiots on twitter.
I think Williams has said a lot wrong. How can he now as player, ever post on Twitter anything to the fans when he’s basically called all of us idiots?

Very common problem with those in football. They need us as it’s fans who make football a multi billion £ industry, they sing false platitudes about “for the fans”. But really they think all fans are idiots and it comes out whenever fans voice an opinion that they disagree with. Then you hear things like “footballing people know” or in William’s case he wasn’t as subtle “who cares about what idiots think”

Irwin99

I remember when he first broke through, people loved him like Malacia.
To be fair I did too because I was sick to death of Luke Shaw at that point. I suspect that's what's happening in some ways with Malacia as the kid is a very likable but raw talent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think Williams has said a lot wrong. How can he now as player, ever post on Twitter anything to the fans when he’s basically called all of us idiots?

Very common problem with those in football. They need us as it’s fans who make football a multi billion £ industry, they sing false platitudes about “for the fans”. But really they think all fans are idiots and it comes out whenever fans voice an opinion that they disagree with. Then you hear things like “footballing people know” or in William’s case he wasn’t as subtle “who cares about what idiots think”
He said there are idiots on twitter. He didnt say all United fans are idiots.

I think you're struggling with what he actually said and getting angry over nothing.

Chief123

I think you’re being very naive to think Maguire has absolutely nothing to do with the comments made by the source close to him.

I don’t believe the sun has set because I can’t see it.

Herman Toothrot

I always fancied Smalling over Maguire for England - despite struggling to ever actually give a shit. So, I knew we'd over-paid when we got him, but English tax and getting a proven Premier League centre-back coveted by all the top teams felt like a win. He had a decent start but last season was a disaster. That said, none of us can pretend we weren't hoping to get him back for the Europa. By the back of last season, he was rightly blamed for mistakes, but there were more team mistakes than Maguire mistakes. He's not a bad player. He's not a great player either, and at that price, he should be a great player.

But you know what? He didn't actually set his fee, he didn't make himself captain, he isn't paying himself his wages and he doesn't select himself. I don't know if his mate spoke to the press or not, but I don't give a shit and I think it pretty pathetic any of you do. I know it's internationals and everyone is bored, but Manchester United fans getting on their feet to berate their own players more than they do celebrate goals is getting fecking boring. It's remarkable how you all bang on ABUs and press conspiracies when you're waving a fecking umbrella around in a storm to catch the clickbait. Some bland rumoured comments from a friend of a friend, yes please, we'll snort right up and furiously share across social media.

AlPistacho

He said there are idiots on twitter. He didnt say all United fans are idiots.

I think you're struggling with what he actually said and getting angry over nothing.
I think you’re struggling to understand that social media is the platform where fan opinion comes out. The vast majority of United fans are against Maguire.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you’re being very naive to think Maguire has absolutely nothing to do with the comments made by the source close to him.

I don’t believe the sun has set because I can’t see it.
I think you're naieve if you think reports without a direct quote from the player himself is enough to strip him from captaincy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think you’re struggling to understand that social media is the platform where fan opinion comes out. The vast majority of United fans are against Maguire.
But hes referring to what some people say who are idiots. And hes right. There are some bellends that go over the top in hating Maguire.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Part of the problem for me, couple of words that you know you've not been great - hold your team mates in high regard and you are working harder than ever to regain your place and form that saw you awarded captain the first place. Simple
That’s the problem, he was gifted the role. He should have never been in contention for it in the first place.

RedMistyDevil

Let's assume that the Ogden report isn't leaked by Maguire's camp and that he's completely innocent. This journalist is using his name to talk about other coaches and players at the club, and he hasn't said anything to refute the report and put a stop to all the talk that came with the report.

A United captain should lead by example and stop unsubstantiated rumors, especially when someone is using his name to do it.

Reactions: Fortitude

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That’s the problem, he was gifted the role. He should have never been in contention for it in the first place.
The issue was that there wasn't a single player in the squad who 'should' have been in contention for it. There wasn't a single good option. I guess Ole felt Maguire at least showed potential to grow into the role, which gave him the edge over an established player in DDG who had never shown leadership abilities and had been massively struggling for form for 18 months.

If Young had stuck around a bit longer the captaincy may have skipped Maguire and gone to straight to Bruno which is the transition we're perhaps seeing now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let's assume that the Ogden report isn't leaked by Maguire's camp and that he's completely innocent. This journalist is using his name to talk about other coaches and players at the club, and he hasn't said anything to refute the report and put a stop to all the talk that came with the report.

A United captain should lead by example and stop unsubstantiated rumors, especially when someone is using his name to do it.
If players set a predent to comment on stories about them theyd have no time to do anything else.

Ignoring it and not creating a further storm is fine by me.

OldSchoolManc

So happy he isn’t starting for United now.
Apparently he’s growing into the game (Italy Vs England).
You never want a central defender that ‘grows into the game’ as you could be 2 or 3 nil down by then…

Lyng

Maguire has admitted to having a poor season himself. There seems to be some consensus that maguire is the cause of all of our ills last season and a couple of positive results (non of which were in anyway convincing) without him in the side have prooven that beyond any doubt. Which of course is nonsense.

He should probably do himself a favour and avoid social media, but clearly he hasn't and has felt the need to defend himself a little, against the cesspool of keyboard Warriors.

You say de gea hasn't caused varabe and martinez any problems, give it time, currently we have on average had the deepest defensive line in the PL this season. Let's see what happens when they have to push up an defend higher and take more risks.
No he hasnt. He has admitted the team was bad. Instead he has come out and said he must be good cause managers keep picking him, the stupid gesture in the england match, and now this.
He needs to go. If nothing else there is way to much noise about Harry Maguire.
The sooner we get rid the better.
De Gea has looked better this season, but only in matches without Maguire. Martinez had one really bad game...next to Maguire. Varane looked bad last season...next to Maguire.
We have won all games where Maguire hasnt featured much this season, and every match with him starting we have lost.
Its simple.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So let me get this straight, Maguire hasn't said anything himself, yet he is definitely to blame for this, and should be apologising for something he probably knew nothing about?

All that whilst on international duty having to see multiple armchair managers send vitriol online about him starting.

Is that about right?

If so, he's playing pretty well for someone having to carry all that.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So let me get this straight, Maguire hasn't said anything himself, yet he is definitely to blame for this, and should be apologising for something he probably knew nothing about?

All that whilst on international duty having to see multiple armchair managers send vitriol online about him starting.

Is that about right?

I think that pretty much sums it up, yeah.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Is that about right?

If he doesn't agree with what had been said than he should have been bothered enough to go on the media and spell that quite clearly.

El Presidente

Is that about right?

Whenever an agent/friend/relative says something about the player in question, 99% of the cases it's with said player's approval. The 1% is for when the player actually knows nothing about it, in which case he immediately takes the time to distance himself from their words.
Also, with Maguire there is way too much evidence of his bitterness and lack of self reflection, so hardly surprising.

We've been through the same thing with Pogba. Raiola shitting on United every other week, when it was Pogba himself providing the script.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Another start, another defeat... He has either lost or drawn in his last 8 starts for club and country. Real rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.