Harry Maguire becomes first United outfield player to play every league minute for 25 years

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Great, someone who isn't a permacrock. Still shite, but an improvement.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is more than welcome considering how the rest of our CBs have been the past few years. Lindelöf hardly missed any time injured either really.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Great effort from Harry. I know some are keen to see an upgrade at CB but allowing a partnership to grow can also allow strides forward.
Agreed. They’ve had their ups and downs this season but should improve in the years ahead, as individuals and as a partnership. They’re both at an age where they have their best years ahead of them.

Deery

Dreary
Good player no doubt about it, just needs to settle down next season and he should get better.

Great to stay injury free and playing all the games.

FattyFooty

Yay!

Finally a tread where Maguire gets some praise.

He's defensive set pieces, leadership strength and generally good defending have been ignored the whole season.

Most people only see goals and skill moves.

Maguire have been a superb addition to our team. Great captain. And on top of that he always play! Cheers!

SaboTaj

I think he hasn’t featured in just one (or two at max) cup game this season for us.

If I’m not wrong, Van Dijk, Tarkowski and Ward-Prowse have also completed all 90 minutes of every league game this season. Don’t know how often we get multiple outfield players achieving this feat in a season.

Superunknown

I was certain that he has missed a league game or two, but apparently not. Well done to him, that is a great stat. Also a bit insane that we haven't had another player who has done this for 25 years...are we sure Rooney hasn't done this at some point?!

It certainly helps for consistency to have the same defenders playing each week. I want the Maguire/Lindelöf partnership to work, and it's shown signs of promise this season, but then equally other moments where it's left me unsure. Let's hope his next season is even better than this one. Well done, Harry!

RuudTom83

Is great to have an ever present in the back line, also I feel the defence gets more criticism then they deserve. The numbers they put up are comparable to City/Liverpool.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's played 52 games. 38 in the league, 6 in the Europa, 5 in the FA Cup and 3 in the EFL Cup.
4662 minutes.

He's not played this much since he played in League One with Sheffield United in '13-'14 season. Two seasons ago he played all 38 League games for Leicester.

Alek M

Da manic one
Amazing stat. Other than VVD,which other cb from EPL would you rather have.

He shows his commitment on the field every time he puts his shirt on.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You could see during water break, when his team mates were drinking water and isotonics, he gulped down a thick substance from a container that looked a little bit like Caprisun. That might be the key to his fitness.
Maybe he stole some of Pep’s PED’s. That’s why City haven’t been as good this season as the last two. Coincidence? I think not.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's played 52 games. 38 in the league, 6 in the Europa, 5 in the FA Cup and 3 in the EFL Cup.
4662 minutes.
That's quite the achievement for a modern game player, and frankly unheard of.

In an era where players and managers complain about playing more than one game a week, along comes Harry 'the machine' Maguire to put them all to shame.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How many other players have played every minute of every PL game? Must be loads?

That's quite the achievement for a modern game player, and frankly unheard of.

In an era where players and managers complain about playing more than one game a week, along comes Harry 'the machine' Maguire to put them all to shame.
He is a player that wouldn’t look out of place in the 80s or early 90s, and that’s a compliment.

Whatever you think of him, he’s a hell of a lot more useful than Bailly, Jones or Rojo who I’m. It sure would have that number of games combined over the past two years.

We are a much better team with him there.

This sort of record shows why he’s captain.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I was certain that he has missed a league game or two, but apparently not. Well done to him, that is a great stat. Also a bit insane that we haven't had another player who has done this for 25 years...are we sure Rooney hasn't done this at some point?!

It certainly helps for consistency to have the same defenders playing each week. I want the Maguire/Lindelöf partnership to work, and it's shown signs of promise this season, but then equally other moments where it's left me unsure. Let's hope his next season is even better than this one. Well done, Harry!
Why on earth would you think Rooney of all people has done it? He would probably be the least likely player ever to achieve such a feat given the position he played, his playing style and the fact that he had 10+ CL games contend with. Attackers with that kind of work load simply don't play 3420 league minutes.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How many other players have played every minute of every PL game? Must be loads?
Ryan, Pope, Pickford, Schmeichel, de Gea, Dubravka, Foster, Patricio, Tarkowski, VVD, Maguire, Baldock, Coady, Ward Prowse, Rice

MrSingh2002

With the demands of the game now we need two centre backs this summer so that we can atleast rotate Maguire next season before this catches up to him.

dogwithabone

I think Maguire has had a really solid season. Made the odd mistake but he’s improved as we’ve gone on and that’s a positive sign. Hopefully he can really kick on next season but he’s handled playing for United - and the fee - well.

Superunknown

Why on earth would you think Rooney of all people has done it? He would probably be the least likely player ever to achieve such a feat given the position he played, his playing style and the fact that he had 10+ CL games contend with. Attackers with that kind of work load simply don't play 3420 league minutes.
My mistake, I misread every league minute with every league game. Yeah, you're right, no way would Rooney have done that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
A rock solid addition. Stability and consistency at the back has been sorely missing since around 07/08. The season after that, Rio and Vidic kept getting jiggly injuries, and it's been a revolving door ever since.

3rd best defensive record in the league too. When we've had good defensive records in the last few years, it's always been refuted as being all down to De Gea, with our defenders getting very little credit. I didn't agree with that then, but this season it certainly hasn't been to any goalkeeping heroics. Maguire and AWB have added a lot of resilience to the back line.
Wasn't 08/09 that we went on a record breaking clean sheet run? :confused:

But I agree with your general point.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You could see during water break, when his team mates were drinking water and isotonics, he gulped down a thick substance from a container that looked a little bit like Caprisun. That might be the key to his fitness.
Tuanzebe should take a note there.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wasn't 08/09 that we went on a record breaking clean sheet run? :confused:

But I agree with your general point.
It was, but the it's also when Rio in particular started to go in and out of the team with niggly injuries. Evans deputised and was a significant part of that run. Ever since then, we've not really had a settled starting CB pair, except for Smalling and Blind in 15/16.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He is nowhere near an 80m player ability wise but maybe considering our injury record with our other shithouse CB's (Lindelof aside) it was actually worth it for that!

mancave bear

It says everything about how thin our squad is, regarding quality players. We need another fullback, a defencive midfielder, a playmaker and a right wing. And a goaly? And a right or leftback? And a striker for next year : )

Jonno

Well done Maguire.

It's also worth noting we've conceded some 20 goals less than last season?

It's no coincidence.

He has some shaky moments, but as a package, he's a very good centre back and has helped us finish 3rd.

What's an £80 million centre back? Yeah he looks more like a £40-£50m centre back value wise, but let me tell you, having a consistent, solid leader at the back for 50+ games a season does wonders for any club. Did overpaying for a centre back effectively ensure we got in the Champions League, thus spinning off an extra £50-£100m next season in revenue? YES. Worth every penny.

Alemar

What is also good is that he didn’t miss any games due to disqualification for cards (although there were I think 2 situations in the season where he might have got a straight red but was lucky not to). Still, it is important for a defender to not amass cards

cyril C

Lindelof's also started 34 games. CBs should be starting 90%+ games tbf - it's not the most physically demanding role in the game.
How can any player starts 90%+? Assuming 50 games a season including international, you expect a CB to start 45 games a season?

Something is seriously wrong, particularly for a big club with 20 or so squad players, that cannot rotate players. Putting injury and red card aside, excluding keeper, no player should play 40 games a season, 30-35 is probably most healthy.

Skills

Snitch
How can any player starts 90%+? Assuming 50 games a season including international, you expect a CB to start 45 games a season?

Something is seriously wrong, particularly for a big club with 20 or so squad players, that cannot rotate players. Putting injury and red card aside, excluding keeper, no player should play 40 games a season, 30-35 is probably most healthy.
Well I don't expect my first choice CB to start many of the early cup games + couple early CL games. However, I dont think it's unreasonable to expect them to start 32-34 league games and 10/12 CL games. Van Djiks done it.

Hes been great. He makes mistakes like every player does but his presence has added so much stability to our team, and this is a large part of that. Having two good centre backs who always play and understand each other is far better than us going and spending a fortune on the shiny new player many people want us to get.

fps

You can bet he wasn’t fully fit for a load of those too, but he still played and kept his standards.

mancan92

You know what I'm kind of harsh on him but honestly part of being a top defender or player is actually being fit to play when needed. Well done Harry

Cal?

CR7 fan
It was, but the it's also when Rio in particular started to go in and out of the team with niggly injuries. Evans deputised and was a significant part of that run. Ever since then, we've not really had a settled starting CB pair, except for Smalling and Blind in 15/16.
Fair enough, I honestly don't remember the details