Harry Maguire Injury | Ole: He's making progress and he's quite positive [for the Europa League Final]

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What's more concerning? Not having Maguire for the final or the fact that we have absolutely no feasible defensive replacement we trust in the squad?

Charlie Foley

What's more concerning? Not having Maguire for the final or the fact that we have absolutely no feasible defensive replacement we trust in the squad?
Definitely the latter as it’s the reason the former is a problem. If you had Rio and Vidic in the squad it wouldn’t matter if a Maguire was missing.

it would be great if he could be back as he’s far and away our best centre back but I’m not holding my breath. Bailly is very ropey, I actually thought Axel was better against Leicester. Put him with Lindelof I guess

MattyB1986

That's been hella concerning all season,we desperately need defensive signings, cb/cdm, especially to make further progress. One decent CB is shocking for a club like ours.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
That's been hella concerning all season,we desperately need defensive signings, cb/cdm, especially to make further progress. One decent CB is shocking for a club like ours.
Agreed. But I have a feeling that we might have to let an existing CB go if we bring a new one in. I can’t see Bailey being happy with going down the pecking order.

Bailey isn’t consistent enough so he would be my choice to leave if we get a reliable CB in his place.

Axel looks like a more sustainable prospect. Lindelof has looked decent at times but his man-marking is horrendously weak which I’m hoping could be improved over time.

Statue of Limitations

If we needed the points as badly as Pool did I think the game would have played out differently regardless of Maguire's presence.
The EL final is a different animal, these players are hungry for silverware, and Ole will (despite his playing down of trophies) be desperate to start building his own cabinet up here at OT.

If our boys are not 100% motivated and relentless in this game, something is massively wrong, which I don't expect to be the case.

Hope Maguire is fit having said all that, the extra boost that would give could be a nice difference maker.

saivet

As an England fan I hope United don't rush him back for this if he isn't ready. I think we can win this final without Maguire but I think if he misses the Euros it's a much bigger blow to England given the lack of depth at the back at CB. I assume Ole has a press conference today? Hopefully we'll hear an update soon.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As an England fan I hope United don't rush him back for this if he isn't ready. I think we can win this final without Maguire but I think if he misses the Euros it's a much bigger blow to England given the lack of depth at the back at CB. I assume Ole has a press conference today? Hopefully we'll hear an update soon.
This is a Utd thread and while I appreciate that the England national team is important to some, it’s Utd first for me. The national team has a lot of depth, we don’t

GMoore23

If he's not fit to play in a game before the final then I don't want him starting in the final either. He'll be lacking match sharpness and could get caught out. We've seen this with Spurs and Kane on 2 occasions now.

stevoc

United potentially winning a European trophy is more important than a haphazardly arranged international tournament.

TrustInOle

This is a Utd thread and while I appreciate that the England national team is important to some, it’s Utd first for me. The national team has a lot of depth, we don’t
I understand his sentiment, as England missing Harry is crucial as I would agree with Neville in that, England will have to set up completley different without him, two at the back out of Stones and one of Walker, Dier, Mings....Keane (?) doesn't fill anyone with confidence. Thankfully I share your sentiment and couldn't really care about England until it's time to play. We have a European cup final to win and our defence is just as confidence draining without Maguire in it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Quite frankly I wouldn't mind if Maguire does very well in the Europa League only to need rest/recovery during the summer. That would mean having him fresh and ready for next season. Currently Maguire is the only half decent CB we've got. Not to forget that England had never been a friend of Manchester United. You only have to remember the absolutely disgusting way the likes of Becks and Phil Nev were treated when compared to David 'Ronaldinho made me look like a proper idiot' Seaman.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
England would be fine without him if they picked their best defenders. I'd go with 2 out of 3 of Tarkowski, Dunk and Konsa. Southgate won't do this though so they're probably knackered.

saivet

United potentially winning a European trophy is more important than a haphazardly arranged international tournament.
To you, I personally think the Euros is more important than a EL final.

It all depends on how ready he is, but you have to also consider if he plays in the EL final, Southgate will almost certainly take him to the Euros and who knows that the implications could be. Hopefully he should be fine for both, but there is a danger for the start of next season.

stevoc

To you, I personally think the Euros is more important than a EL final.

It all depends on how ready he is, but you have to also consider if he plays in the EL final, Southgate will almost certainly take him to the Euros and who knows that the implications could be. Hopefully he should be fine for both, but there is a danger for the start of next season.
Obviously but Solskjaer and the club will have similar thoughts as me so if he's fit (probably even 70%) for the final he'll likely play. Solskjaer won't give a flying fiddlers about Englands chances of winning the European championship. The England national team has rarely ever done United any favours.

And do you think Maguire is going to pass up the opportunity to captain his club in a European final and potentially win it on the off chance it might rule him out of the Euros?

Last edited: