Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was arrested after the fight happened.

The fight happened, they got separated and then secret police came along and tried to arrest them. How do we even know Maguire was actually involved in the first fight? perhaps he was resisting arrest because they didn't do anything wrong - but the police wouldn't accept that. They could be claiming assault against an officer when all it was is resisting?

Anyway looks like Maguire won't be going to prison so who cares.
I did not say he was involved in the fight. I said he was not harmed by police so dont bring BLM into the situation. Are you going to join someone in saying that BLM is related to his case?

Btw if you resist arrest because you was not involved that is still resisting arrest. Not that I am even saying he did resist arrest. Just leave BLM out of this

Cassidy

Right next to the evidence we have of him being violent towards the police...
Well I didn't accuse him of that. So again if he was not been a victim of police brutality then BLM has nothing to do with him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That's not why people hate Rooney but you're right that people react differently depending on how much they like the player.

Ah, you're a green smilie at the end of your own comment kinda guy. Nice passive aggressive touch there.
It’s all fun, no harm intended

NotThatSoph

Indeed. If it does come out that his sister getting stabbed started a brawl, I don't think anyone will blame him.

There will be doctor, ambulance or hospital records regarding someone getting stabbed so should all get cleared up soon enough.
'Stabbed' is a pretty wide term, based on the lack of focus I'd guess it would be a slight/superficial wound from not exactly a knife.

Could be wrong of course, but hopefully not.

Cassidy

Indeed. If it does come out that his sister getting stabbed started a brawl, I don't think anyone will blame him.

There will be doctor, ambulance or hospital records regarding someone getting stabbed so should all get cleared up soon enough.
That by the way would have nothing to do with resisting arrest

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He was arrested after the fight happened.

The fight happened, they got separated and then secret police came along and tried to arrest them. How do we even know Maguire was actually involved in the first fight? perhaps he was resisting arrest because they didn't do anything wrong - but the police wouldn't accept that. They could be claiming assault against an officer when all it was is resisting?

Anyway looks like Maguire won't be going to prison so who cares.
They didnt do anything wrong? Right... stamping a guy on the floor is nothing wrong.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well I didn't accuse him of that. So again if he was not been a victim of police brutality then BLM has nothing to do with him.
But that's literally what the statement released by the Hellenic Police Department said... I'm not sure you're even following your own logic now.

BLM has shone a light on the prejudice, corruption and damn right lies of police departments across the globe. The Hellenic Police is reknowned for being prejudice, corrupt and falsifying claims, in particular against foreigners. This shouldn't be a particularly difficult leap to make.

All I and others have said is skepticism is warranted when it comes to the second most corrupt police organization in the world. But apparently, that's entirely unfair.

dev1l

I don't condone violence but if my sister was stabbed, am not sure how I am going to react honestly.
People must realise he is only human.
Same here mate. If he did nothing , then they would have called him a coward.
Lose-lose situation I guess

Jev

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But that's literally what the statement released by the Hellenic Police Department said... I'm not sure you're even following your own logic now.

BLM has shone a light on the prejudice, corruption and damn right lies of police departments across the globe. The Hellenic Police is reknowned for being prejudice, corrupt and falsifying claims, in particular against foreigners. This shouldn't be a particularly difficult leap to make.

All I and others have said is skepticism is warranted when it comes to the second most corrupt police organization in the world. But apparently, that's entirely unfair.
You're having a mare mate. Maguire is arrested for information, it's a minor scuffle at worst.

Dont bring BLM and second worst corrupt police in the world ? Are you being serious? There are Greeks that might be offended with that statement.

It's a daily arrest and release, stop making a fuse out of it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So let me get the facts so far sorted out as we know them:

A) Liverpool and Man City fans shout abuse at Maguire and stab his sister.
B) Maguire heroically clears out 14 Scouse/City fans without hurting them too much.
C) as this ends, Maguire has accidentally knocked a pint out of the hands of a corrupt Greek secret police officer.
D) this police officer has told Maguire for 2,000 he will let him off.
E) Maguire said “no, that is not the united way. Arrest me if you must, but I shall not break my code of honour.”
F) The Greek prison warden (former Liverpool player Kyrgiakos) has kept him in for a second night and not given him food or water.

They’re the facts as far as I have established. And some are using this to berate Maguire?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Greece media also reporting that Harry thought there'd be a fine of the situation but apparently there's no fines for these things in Greece and that's why they thought it was a bribe.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No it doesnt change anything. If you rob a house and there's a cop who happens to be not wearing his uniform because he's on holiday he can still apprehend you and report you to his colleagues.

Not understanding the language isnt an excuse to get into a fight.
Really not the same thing. If you are in a fight with a few people (possibly defending yourself or somebody else) and you're being grabbed by other people you have no idea who they are. Could be friends of the first lot, could be other randoms just wanting to get into the fight.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Paul Pogba is a great player on his day although he hasn't been consistent enough for United.

But he isn't captain material as he has spent the past 2 years trying to navigate his way out of here and making eyes at Madrid. How is that the guy we want as our figurehead and for the other players to look to.

If he signs a new contract and commits to us then maybe he could be in contention. But I don't understand why people are so precious about him. Its obvious why he doesn't get the same amount of love from United fans as other less talented players. Principally because people value commitment and loyalty above most other things.

If we think back to Rooney, a more talented player
who delivered much more for United, it wasnt that he turned to shit that ruined the way many united fans talked about him as Neville was arguably worse than Rooney by the end. Instead it was his transfer request from earlier that lost him love. And this was a player that was seen as the heart of United and won us everything.
I do not know how you know he was trying to navigate out of the club but I agree maybe he would have been happy to leave because of how things were at the club, quite a few of the players were. That does not mean that today he is not captain material though as saying that speaks to a lack of character which is not the case.

It really is not obvious at all though as he got stick from fans and the media long before he said a word in Japan.

Rooney was very talented for a brit but he was not more talented than him and he asked to leave the club twice, both through the media so big difference.

All in all unless the whole team is new no new player should be captain so if it is not Paul it should be Marcus Rashford or Luke Shaw.

Cassidy

No BLM has shon a light on the disproportionate acts of prejudice, brutality and violence directed by law enforcement against black and ethnic monitory people. And also the prejudice is the media reporting of that. Its actually quite funny as had this been a black player I can bet the UK media reporting would be very different right now

Basso

100 % going to be in the same group as Olympiakos in next years CL and Harry will be forced to stay home and the media will make a big deal about it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Honestly, Paul Pogba weirdos, take a day off. There are loads of other threads for you to ruin.

0le

I do not know how you know he was trying to navigate out of the club but I agree maybe he would have been happy to leave because of how things were at the club, quite a few of the players were. That does not mean that today he is not captain material though as saying that speaks to a lack of character which is not the case.

It really is not obvious at all though as he got stick from fans and the media long before he said a word in Japan.

Rooney was very talented for a brit but he was not more talented than him and he asked to leave the club twice, both through the media so big difference.

All in all unless the whole team is new no new player should be captain so if it is not Paul it should be Marcus Rashford or Luke Shaw.
Urm...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
https://www.mykonosvoice.gr/news/ap...heia-gia-to-peristatiko-magkoyair-sti-mykono/

Link of the local mykonos newspaper/blog reporting this

They say Harry's sister was stabbed in the arm.

I'm more inclined to believe since it's a local area newspaper and they've nothing to gain by defaming their area and glorifying Maguire.
I love translated websites,

The information that is coming is stormy regarding the case of Harry Maguire, the leader of the famous Manchester United, for what happened in Matogiannia....

At that point, the blood flowed for good and seeing his sister in this situation, Harry Maguire became furious and attacked all the perpetrators. He managed to hit them as he was very strong and fit .

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So let me get the facts so far sorted out as we know them:

A) Liverpool and Man City fans shout abuse at Maguire and stab his sister.
B) Maguire heroically clears out 14 Scouse/City fans without hurting them too much.
C) as this ends, Maguire has accidentally knocked a pint out of the hands of a corrupt Greek secret police officer.
D) this police officer has told Maguire for 2,000 he will let him off.
E) Maguire said “no, that is not the united way. Arrest me if you must, but I shall not break my code of honour.”
F) The Greek prison warden (former Liverpool player Kyrgiakos) has kept him in for a second night and not given him food or water.

They’re the facts as far as I have established. And some are using this to berate Maguire?
My sauces have confirmed this is an entirely accurate description of the event.

0le

At that point, the blood flowed for good and seeing his sister in this situation, Harry Maguire became furious and attacked all the perpetrators. He managed to hit them as he was very strong and fit .
This reads like an extract from a teenagers fantasy vampire romance novel.

Cassidy

Gives it some context and makes it understandable to me, especially if they were plain clothes police and Maguire was off his tits.
Nothing makes punching officers, resisting arrest, and bribes underatandable. (Of course its possible he did none of those things). But the lengths people are leaping to, to attempt to justify said actions incase he did do that is a bit silly. Also being off your tits is not an excuse to go punching anyone who did not threaten you with violence. That goes for any of those that did that not Maguire specifically. Unless you are attempting to suggest the plain clothes police attacked them and they were acting in self defence.

Nothing would make attempting to flee once taken to the station understandable either.

Anyway he may not even be involved in any of the above. But lets not attempt to explain away the above actions just because he is Harry Maguire

Cassidy

Take the Pogba talk to the Pogba thread

Status
Not open for further replies.