Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWat

So lets say he travels back to England, then makes a statement telling them to shove their fine up their arses, and donates the sum to a charity for laughs and giggles.

What could Greece do considering he's back on English soil.
Also, if I were United, I'd come out and call the likes of Henry Winter a cnut, confirm Maguire will stay as captain and tell him not to bother coming to OT anymore
Greece is a member of the EU so could just issue an EU Arrest Warrant. On entry to any EU country he'd be subsequently arrested and sent to Greece, where he'd then also be facing more charges.

leet

As someone from Balkans, this has to be like biggest bullshit I've seen in a while.

Next time just go to Croatia, ffs :D

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Greece is a member of the EU so could just issue an EU Arrest Warrant. On entry to any EU country he'd be subsequently arrested and sent to Greece, where he'd then also be facing more charges.
Lucky EU that will have to keep bailing Greece out of trouble.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still have no idea how people in this thread adamantly claim things while knowing very little about Greece, judicial procedures and the case itself.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Admittedly, I'm trying to catch up with this news of him being found guilty.

So, it's reported that his sister was injected with something, and then he had a confrontation with the police. I'm just trying to connect the dots. Can somebody enlighten me the bits between Event A and Event B? Can't seem to find a decent news link.
Wait what?

:nervous: Surely this is a criminal case.

DevilRed

I'll create a player performance thread for his Prison United FC days just for you.

I'm not defending the guy that assaulted people, resisted arrest and repeatedly tried to bribe police and I'm having a nightmare. Right. He's the one that has made the club look terrible yet some fans are ready to have a blind eye for "their captain."
Mate. Do you honestly think you could prove beyond reasonable doubt, in a 1 day trial, that someone committed aggravated assault and bribery? Without any evidence other than police testimony?

I don't even think he was found guilty of those charges either. The twitter post said he was given a suspended sentence due to being found guilty of misdemeanours. So they may have reduced the charges at sentencing.

I think we're all getting a little heated and emotional about this. Its fascinating to see some peoples sense of right and wrong.

It also reveals how different of backgrounds/cultures we come from.

SamVimes

Greece is a third world country, I would never go there
Greece has a higher GDP than Luxembourg, Croatia, Estonia and Hungary to name a few. It is lots of things, but "third world" (what a derogatory term) it is not.

I get you are annoyed that Maguire has been found guilt in a Court of Law. But maybe you should be annoyed with him.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How do you look now when he’s found guilty you stupid clown
I look perfectly fine, mate. Thanks for asking. Good response to what I actually said.

Just as a reminder, I said that Mykonos (and Greece in general) are places you can go to for things other than getting drunk.

You said our players should be 'banned' from going there which, as previously mentioned, is a load of crap.

FlapR

2nd most corrupt country in the EU, with a notoriously corrupt police force. Well done Greece :lol:, what a joke of a country.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So lets say he travels back to England, then makes a statement telling them to shove their fine up their arses, and donates the sum to a charity for laughs and giggles.

What could Greece do considering he's back on English soil.
Also, if I were United, I'd come out and call the likes of Henry Winter a cnut, confirm Maguire will stay as captain and tell him not to bother coming to OT anymore
If Europol and/or interpol get involved he better stay away from ports and airports. Train stations are generally workable for fugitives but still risky.

SirAF

Ageist
Well that does explain alot. Scandanavia being one of the safest places in the world. Beautiful region too.

I'd imagine any interaction with police over there would be much more pleasant anyway.

The UK/EU unfortunately, is far far from it.
While that is true it also depends on where you frequent and what kind of person you are. I suspect the same is also true in the UK, but someone else who live their would have to chime in.

NYAS

I'll create a player performance thread for his Prison United FC days just for you.

I'm not defending the guy that assaulted people, resisted arrest and repeatedly tried to bribe police and I'm having a nightmare. Right. He's the one that has made the club look terrible yet some fans are ready to have a blind eye for "their captain."
I just won’t believe and trust a justice system that gives you two hours to prepare a legal defence. I would have thought that’s normal. You want to believe it, go ahead. It just makes you look embarrassing and hysterical.

lsd

The Oracle
Ahh my bad. My argument was that we have empirical evidence of corruption being quite high in Greece, whereas, outside of this recent occurrence, we don't have any such evidence of Maguire being the type to go on the piss and smack cops.

So if someone murders someone out of the blue they should be released without charge as there was no evidence of them ever murdering anyone before ?

This isn't a conspiracy against England and every other country is not corrupt and out to get you .

The guy was on holiday went out to a party had lot to drink got into a brawl and that is pretty much that .

Whatever way you want to paint it it doesn't paint a good picture of him . Rashford and Williams were in Greece too they didn't get get arrested for fighting or anything else .

Maguire needs to look at why he got himself into this situation and ensure it doesn't happen again . Maybe he needs to have people around him to keep things like this happening .

I remember Giggs always had people looking out for him . When you are in the public eye you need to be aware of yourself at all times especially if you are Captain of Manchester United

Amarsdd

So everything from Maguire's side of the story is false while pleading not guilty and is still looking to appeal the verdict, and everything from the Greek police's side is true in a trial that finished in a day after details of the charges were given to the defendants just 2 hrs before the trial? No one has to turn a blind eye to see there're a lot of things thats fishy here.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I know his brother fairly well having played football with and against him afew times and he also went to a school with some mutual friends. I’m inclined to believe his comments that this is nothing more than a smear campaign. Honestly can anyone say with a straight face this case looks normal?

Smores

I just won’t believe and trust a justice system that gives you two hours to prepare a legal defence. I would have thought that’s normal. You want to believe it, go ahead. It just makes you look embarrassing and hysterical.
How long is average?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
So everything from Maguire's side of the story is false while pleading not guilty and is still looking to appeal the verdict, and everything from the Greek police's side is true in a trial that finished in a day after details of the charges were given to the defendants just 2 hrs before the trial? No one has to turn a blind eye to see there's a lot of things thats fishy here.
Are you trying to say this is just one massive conspiracy by the Greek Government to lockup Maguire?

Pennywise

Well done to him if he was defending his sister. The "trial" sounds like a load of bollocks.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
People who have never been in trouble with the police can easily get caught up in situations that could be dealt with by the police sensibly but instead get out of hand.
Of course that can happen. But that's not really what we're discussing.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I agree with every word that Winter says. So what now?
His sisters misfortune has nothing to do with him fighting with cops and trying to bribe them.
You really don't like Maguire do you? Seems you're brushing over what actually is being reported happened, bizarrely bringing in the poor media treatment of Sterling and also taking the word of the Greek police as gospel.

This happened on Thursday with a trial and conviction by Tuesday? And the court was uncharacteristically kept open due to ' extenuating circumstances' ... come on, grow up.

DevilRed

While that is true it also depends on where you frequent and what kind of person you are. I suspect the same is also true in the UK, but someone else who live their would have to chime in.
Its much more common to come across crime and police over here. Especially if you live or frequent certain areas at night. I.e. Greater London/Greater Manchester :lol:

Superunknown

Wait what?

:nervous: Surely this is a criminal case.
That's according to this link: BBC

Anagnostakis told the court the events stemmed from Maguire's sister Daisy being injected by a substance by a group of Albanians and she immediately fainted.

The defendants called for transport and asked to be driven to a hospital, but were instead taken to a police station.

The prosecution said Maguire, his brother and friend then physically and verbally attacked police officers.

One policeman alleged that while at the police station, Maguire said: "Do you know who I am? I am the captain of Manchester United. I am very rich. I can give you money. I can pay you. Please let us go."

His colleague added that Maguire had said to him: "Please, let me go. I am very rich. I can pay. I am the leader of Manchester United."
There's a bit more to it, I think.

NYAS

I still have no ida how people in this thread adamantly claim things while knowing very little about Greece, judicial procedures and the case itself.
If I remember correctly you are studying law. Is it normal to be given two hours to prepare a legal defence? Does that indicate a trustworthy judicial system? I’m happy to be proven wrong, I wonder what you think.

Shark

@NotShark
What's that got to do with anything?

Anyway this is even further from the topic. There's loads of Ole bashing threads if that floats your boat.
You said there's no reason to believe he's a nice guy based on his ruthlessness, I responded with something you didn't want to hear so it's "bashing".

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
With a bit of luck we won’t have a extradition treaty with Greece after the hard Brexit and nobody can touch Maguire as long as he doesn’t go further south than Bramhall. And we can start exporting our own Kalamata olives and feta cheese. Malakka pistil!!!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So, it's reported that his sister was injected with something, and then he had a confrontation with the police. I'm just trying to connect the dots. Can somebody enlighten me the bits between Event A and Event B? Can't seem to find a decent news link.
What is the actual story?
Why fight when it is easier to go away. I get pride/ego is always there. You're in foreign country and if you make troubles, you're get charges easily. Maybe in england, culturally fighting is normal so maybe there is leniency when the authorities are involved... I don't know, but in different country, behave well and away from any troubles is always best.
I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ahh my bad. My argument was that we have empirical evidence of corruption being quite high in Greece, whereas, outside of this recent occurrence, we don't have any such evidence of Maguire being the type to go on the piss and smack cops.
Yeah I get you but not all Greek police are corrupt in the same way that not all English footballers get into fights abroad ;)

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This. Most people I know have never had any interaction with the police and most likely never will either. Hey, maybe we Scandinavians just live sheltered lives?:smirk:
I've only had good experiences with the police in Denmark at least. They're usually quite sensible as well.

NYAS

How long is average?
I honestly don’t know, I’m sure each country is different and I’m no legal expert, but I refuse to believe that’s normal. I would expect at least a couple of days.

You and your lawyers get a call that you’re being charged with x and y and to be ready in 2 hours. That can’t be normal.

DevilRed

I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.
fecking sounds like the plot to Taken :lol:

Resch

A taxi driver tried to rip off an English tourist, after a short argue the English tourist was beaten up by the texi driver, a bouncer and a police officer and arrested. This was the Greek way....
A saw the scene from the beginning to the end and was told to shut up by another officer. No one was interested to find out what happened.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So if someone murders someone out of the blue they should be released without charge as there was no evidence of them ever murdering anyone before ?

This isn't a conspiracy against England and every other country is not corrupt and out to get you .

The guy was on holiday went out to a party had lot to drink got into a brawl and that is pretty much that .

Whatever way you want to paint it it doesn't paint a good picture of him . Rashford and Williams were in Greece too they didn't get get arrested for fighting or anything else .

Maguire needs to look at why he got himself into this situation and ensure it doesn't happen again . Maybe he needs to have people around him to keep things like this happening .

I remember Giggs always had people looking out for him . When you are in the public eye you need to be aware of yourself at all times especially if you are Captain of Manchester United
Well that went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.