Harry Maguire - Manchester United Player

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
"In May, Ed Woodward asked Leicester City how much they wanted for Harry Maguire and was told £80m. On Monday, the master of negotiation completed the deal, paying £80m finally to secure the centre-back six days before Manchester United’s first game of the season."
:lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/05/harry-maguire-control-authority-manchester-united
I'm not pro Ed but seriously if you're going to beat him with that stick then you have to beat Levy at Spurs for failing to conclude all bar one of Spurs' business, ask why Arsenal didn't bring Pepe in earlier, why its taken City so long to get Cancelo, Inter & Lukaku, basically any transfer that could have been done earlier but wasn't.

Paying a record transfer for a CB, one that we'll all admit isn't as good as the previous record holder obviously isn't a deal that's going to be done until it's blatantly obvious the selling club aren't going to loosen their asking price

fps

I'm not pro Ed but seriously if you're going to beat him with that stick then you have to beat Levy at Spurs for failing to conclude all bar one of Spurs' business, ask why Arsenal didn't bring Pepe in earlier, why its taken City so long to get Cancelo, Inter & Lukaku, basically any transfer that could have been done earlier but wasn't.

Paying a record transfer for a CB, one that we'll all admit isn't as good as the previous record holder obviously isn't a deal that's going to be done until it's blatantly obvious the selling club aren't going to loosen their asking price
It just made me laugh, that's all. People here are so serious.

meamth

I'm just not excited really. It's good if he's solid. But i'm kind envious with Van Dijk at Liverpool and De ligt going to Juventus. We were truly blessed when we had Vidic and Ferdinand.
Liverpool has 1st choice Netherlands right back,

We bought England's first choice for foreseeable future. He is the CB United always deserves.

fps

How tall is Harry ? He looks a beast on all these pictures, i have never really noticed it in a game.

It could just be a case of him being stood next to whimps like Vardy, Wallcott or Rodgers.
According to Google, 1.94m which is 6 ft 3

King_Cantona07

How tall is Harry ? He looks a beast on all these pictures, i have never really noticed it in a game.

It could just be a case of him being stood next to whimps like Vardy, Wallcott or Rodgers.
Seen him close while visiting Sheffield, I’m 5-11 and he was massive in height and build compared to me.

JMack1234

Love this signing.

It's a lot of money but I've phoned up HSBC and none of it came out of my account so I'm cool with it. Premier League proven CB who will go straight into our side and improve us. Hopefully Lindelof and Maguire will complement each other perfectly.

Shaw-Maguire-Lindelof- AWB. Not too shabby at all.

thepolice123

People need to look beyond the transfer fee.

We are fecked if we go into season with the same CB lineup as previous season. But now we have a young English CB who's PL proven and not crocked.

I love this transfer.:devil:

norm87cro

Personally I'm very deligthed. Is he worth the fee probably depends on more factors than Maguire as a CB alone. The fact is that we haven't had a good CB partnership since Rio and Vidic and we conceded a lot last season. From that point of view the transfer was a must.

Waynne

Awesome deal. Back 4 now complete.
Far from complete.
What if Shaw is injured? Do we have a capable backup for him?
What if Lindelof is injured? I'd hate to see us rely on Jones to fill that gap
If AWB is injured? I don't want Young at RB
We may have 1st team back 4 sorted but we don't have anywhere near suitable backups for them.
Fergie built his teams with a solid defence first.
Once we have capable backup defenders, then i'll be happy and content.

Hughes35

This also doesn't take into account the deal structure. Leicester probably wanted 80million cash up front and the negotiations have been about payment schedule etc.

Everybody is basically guessing and we never fully know exactly what the deal is.

Far from complete.
What if Shaw is injured? Do we have a capable backup for him?
What if Lindelof is injured? I'd hate to see us rely on Jones to fill that gap
If AWB is injured? I don't want Young at RB
We may have 1st team back 4 sorted but we don't have anywhere near suitable backups for them.
Fergie built his teams with a solid defence first.
Once we have capable backup defenders, then i'll be happy and content.
Dalot Tuanzebe Smalling (Academy LB)

Decent back up to me.

GJNJ

Vardy is further back than Maguire, making the difference seem bigger.

cheeky_backheel

what a joke. Last summer he wasnt worth 70m and now he is worth 80m?

If you are going to break the bank, then do it for a world class quality and/or player!

Jacob

If you are going to break the bank, then do it for a world class quality and/or player!
What better CB would (A) want to come to us and (B) be sold by a better club?

Classical Mechanic

In that case how small is Vardy, looks like a pipsqueak in comparison.
IIRC he's the heaviest player in the league at 100 kilos.

redmanx

Pogba's tall, as is Lukaku, Smalling, DDG...

Fellaini was tall too.

Keane wasn't... Messi isn't...
Best, Law, Charlton, Buchan, Morgan, Robson, G.Neville, Irwin, Giggs, Whelan, Colman, Crerand, all under 6 foot.

redmanx

When United go in for a player the price always goes up, we get fleeced but have no choice if we want the player.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
356, member: 70773"]

Not good if he decides to team up with Beanz.[/QUOTE]

My Little Pony is ruined for me now.

Loon

:lol:
Phil McNulty (says we'll be fifth this season, btw) on the BBC joining in on the sneer with "Maguire is not VVD world class," but one wonders if City had bought him, as their interest has been confirmed, what McNulty would have been saying then...?

Hope McGuire proves all his detractors wrong.

WireMUFC

Poor formatting and Text speak
Garry Macwhyher will grate here, can’t wait 2 see big McGuire’s big hed on that pitch.

fps

That's a strong 6 ft 4, close to 6'5. I'm 6'3/190-191, I wish I were 194.
He's a larger than life figure, in a positive sense, which is what Man Utd need. He seems a good honest pleasant human being as well, with some real character to him - and while Man Utd seem to have a lot of *nice* players, certainly they need players with that character, they're seriously lacking.

fps

356, member: 70773"]

Not good if he decides to team up with Beanz.
My Little Pony is ruined for me now.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. The difference is Maguire's doing this for a laugh, Lingard if he had the choice would genuinely stay on that float the rest of the day.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's a larger than life figure, in a positive sense, which is what Man Utd need. He seems a good honest pleasant human being as well, with some real character to him - and while Man Utd seem to have a lot of *nice* players, certainly they need players with that character, they're seriously lacking.
It's the size of his shoulders and back that mislead people a bit as to how tall he is. He is a legitimate big guy, one of the widest I've ever seen on a pro football pitch. Bigger than quite a few top class rugbymen. Big back+ big shoulders = very strong functional strength.

Begleri

I loved his first interview. Can't wait to see him in action against Chelsea.

GJNJ

On paper. Lets see how the first 6/7 games go. We'll know by the time we've played Liverpool.
It will probably take more time than that to become a defensive unit with a good understanding between them.