Harry Maguire - Manchester United Player

cheeky_backheel

What better CB would (A) want to come to us and (B) be sold by a better club?
Of what relevance is the quality of the selling club?

As to better options, there are quality CBs outside PL (e.g. serie A), that are likely better value than Maguire at 80m

As to better options, there are quality CBs outside PL (e.g. serie A), that are likely better value than Maguire at 80m
All of whom carry some risk. It's not a myth that the PL is far tougher physically than other leagues and many players need a year or two to adapt, or fail to do so at all. We need someone now. Maguire was the best available player who we know can handle the league from day one.

Raven

He's coming here with almost the exact same profile as VVD when he moved to Liverpool. Between him and AWB, I think we could be looking at top 3.

buchansleftleg

I'm glad we finally got MacGruyere.

Just feel sorry for him that we have no working midfield in front of him to provide any protection.

If we don't sign someone else to provide backup to McT then opposition will just waltz through us and put MacGuyver into all sorts of sticky situations he will struggle to escape from.

cheeky_backheel

All of whom carry some risk. It's not a myth that the PL is far tougher physically than other leagues and many players need a year or two to adapt, or fail to do so at all. We need someone now. Maguire was the best available player who we know can handle the league from day one.
The way some of you are trying to justify this transfer is quite amusing. Was it not the same Maguire that was deemed not worth it last summer at a lesser price point but now he is our defensive messiah that is worth 80m?

When you buy the worlds most expensive CB, should be a cut above the herd and Maguire is not imo. Playing for 10 decades in the PL will not make up for a lack of quality.

laughtersassassin

He's coming here with almost the exact same profile as VVD when he moved to Liverpool. Between him and AWB, I think we could be looking at top 3.
No way. Not with what we have left happen to our midfield and attack. people are sleeping on how bad our midfield is.

Ibi Dreams

The way some of you are trying to justify this transfer is quite amusing. Was it not the same Maguire that was deemed not worth it last summer at a lesser price point but now he is our defensive messiah that is worth 80m?

When you buy the worlds most expensive CB, should be a cut above the herd and Maguire is not imo. Playing for 10 decades in the PL will not make up for a lack of quality.
Which defenders are available that are a cut above and worth being the most expensive in the world?

We overpaid. We all know that, but so what? You name me one other defender who is available and guaranteed to immediately perform in the PL.

Hint: there isn't one.

Hedgehog72

He is overpriced, but it is clear we need a central defender badly and who else is there? Fact is we should have got him 10m cheaper last year and already had a season out of him, which may have left us in a better position than we are now. Another example of how badly we have been managed recently.

But the past is done, hopefully, he can shore up our backline and we can progress. I do agree though that without improving DM he may be exposed too often and not look as good as he probably is. I am pleased that we have improved our defence finally which is well overdue, however, I am concerned that our lack of goalscoring power upfront will still leave us short of a top 4 finish. Hope to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greck

Time will tell but as long as he isn't a Lukaku type overpay where we know we can't win big things with him in the starting xi. Last thing you want is to know your 80-90m signing can only take you to intermediate level

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Someone made the comment below post on BBC on the comments page.

"Leicester City should negotiate BREXIT!"

Ekeke

Considered by most to be an excellent CB but hasn't proven himself at the highest level so as to call him world class.
VVD was statistically the best CB in the league. Maguire isnt. You might say he wasnt proven at the highest level, but he was in the league as the best CB.

Maguire isnt. There is nothing to suggest he's the best CB

laughtersassassin

Where do you think we're going to finish?
Current squad with lukaku leaving and no one else in? That would have us fighting for 4th and finishing most likely 5th imo.

Lukaku leaving and us bolstering with Dybala/Eriksen/Bruno and we would probably make 4th but still finish behind Spurs in 3rd imo.

Rista

It's the size of his shoulders and back that mislead people a bit as to how tall he is. He is a legitimate big guy, one of the widest I've ever seen on a pro football pitch. Bigger than quite a few top class rugbymen. Big back+ big shoulders = very strong functional strength.
Seriously? He looks quite narrow to me. It's common with tall people but he really isn't very wide.

Raven

VVD was statistically the best CB in the league. Maguire isnt. You might say he wasnt proven at the highest level, but he was in the league as the best CB.

I'm sure VVD was one of the best in the league at Southampton. But Harry Maguire is absolutely one of the best CB's in the league currently.

Raven

Current squad with lukaku leaving and no one else in? That would have us fighting for 4th and finishing most likely 5th imo.

Lukaku leaving and us bolstering with Dybala/Eriksen/Bruno and we would probably make 4th but still finish behind Spurs in 3rd imo.
Maybe I'm just an optimist.

Bwuk

Bet he ends up captain after Young goes at the end of the season.

Waynne

Dalot Tuanzebe Smalling (Academy LB)

Decent back up to me.
I may be wrong here but Dalot is backup in the RB position. Yes he can cover at LB as well but ideally you want a left footed LB.
Also who here genuinely wants Young, or is content with him as backup at RB? Also don't want him at LB either.
Tuanzebe - I'd be wary to put so much pressure on the man.
Jones, Smalling, Rojo - They need to go.

TheRedHearted

Nice video but ffs what’s with the posture? It looks like when Donald Trump won the election after being very certain he was going to lose.

We overpaid. We all know that, but so what? You name me one other defender who is available and guaranteed to immediately perform in the PL.

Hint: there isn't one.
Agreed. Everyone was posting 33 year old proven defenders who have never played in the PL or younger ones who haven’t either.

RedCurry

What statistics was he the absolute best in the league?

cheeky_backheel

Which defenders are available that are a cut above and worth being the most expensive in the world?
That is the wrong question - cos that there is no top quality CB available does not mean you should overpay for a lesser quality CB simply cos he is available. More so, same club deemed the same player not being worth a lesser amount last summer.

The correct question to ask is if Maguire is good enough to be the world's most expensive CB? and he is not imo!

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So what are the odds on him getting more assists and goals than Jesse Lingard?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
You're gonna see a world of difference in terms of building from the back. That myth which persists around Lindelof's ability to pass from the back and build is gonna take a proper beating as well now that we have a real baller.

Micky Targaryen

What's wrong with the quality of the selling club? So now we can only buy players from top tier clubs?

Since there are many other quality CBs out there, name them.

And why are you concerned over Maguire's price tag? Are we going skint or something? Or do you just like a moan?