Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They've got Stones to step into Kompany's boots. Unless they're stockpiling central defenders, why sign Maguire?
Don't think Pep trusts Stones to be honest

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Harry Maguiggle would be a fantastic player for us IMO. Leader, brave as hell and handy on the ball. 60 million + Phil Jones, come on Leicester you know it makes sense:wenger:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
They've got Stones to step into Kompany's boots. Unless they're stockpiling central defenders, why sign Maguire?
Kompany and Otamendi leaving. That leaves us with two first team CBs. Obviously it's one of the positions we have to sign someone for, maybe even two players.

Moriarty

Kompany and Otamendi leaving. That leaves us with two first team CBs. Obviously it's one of the positions we have to sign someone for, maybe even two players.
Ideally, we'll be signing a central defender or two too. Varane has been mentioned but I think that's more pie in the sky.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Give them Shaw, Jones and Lingard in exchange plus money, not the worse deal in the world for either side
I don't think Leicester want that trio too badly. Take Leicesters best players in exchange for your worst. 140 straight cash, 180 if we take Shaw, Jones & Lingard

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
I am not really sure he will adapt easily to Pep’s system. I would prefer that Ajax young lad but seems like he wants Barcelona

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Isn't it just a problem of being very injury prone?
No idea, he seems to be on the bench quite often and deployed also in midfield rather than CB

Treble

I'd love it if City paid £75 million for Maguire
He isn't anything special but would be very useful for City for two reasons. For one, they are the least efficient team in the league when it comes to scoring from corners, and they have loads every game. For another, they concede more goals from set pieces than most teams (for being too short).

foolsgold

Don't see the appeal of this guy at all at the prices being quoted. Time to sign was before the world cup.

Maddison is the Leicester player I like

Hammondo

Better than any other centre back we have including Lindelof.
If City get him it is another set back for us, do not want to see smalling,jones,rojo etc near our line up again.
If he is better it's not by much.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm sure this is City trying to fool us again like they did with Sanchez! No way Pep can think this guy is top quality

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He isn't anything special but would be very useful for City for two reasons. For one, they are the least efficient team in the league when it comes to scoring from corners, and they have loads every game. For another, they concede more goals from set pieces than most teams (for being too short).
Last time I checked, they are excellent at defending set pieces.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't rate him highly. It City sign him I expect him to be a signing like Mahrez that's fine and all, but nothing really special. Stones and Laporte are comfortably better IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In that case it probably makes sense. What was your pecking order at CB this past season?

izec

People were also happy Liverpool wasted 75m on Van Dijk :wenger:

I would take him. You have to buy someone quality at CB, thats what he is. After De Ligt and Koulibaly, he is the best we can get this summer

Ekeke

People were also happy Liverpool wasted 75m on Van Dijk :wenger:

I would take him. You have to buy someone quality at CB, thats what he is. After De Ligt and Koulibaly, he is the best we can get this summer
Van Dijk was the best PL CB statistically over the 2 seasons before Liverpool signed him. Maguire isnt

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Van Dijk was the best PL CB statistically over the 2 seasons before Liverpool signed him. Maguire isnt
Don't think he's expecting Maguire to be as good as Van Dijk.

It is a fact though that centrebacks especially at lower clubs are rated very harshly and whose ratings tend to go up immensely when you stick them in a good side.

Southgate seems pretty good at spotting them. He picked Joe Gomez and played him centrally at a time when he was only doing decently well at fullback recovering from longterm injury and hadn't centrally since the lower leagues. Picked Maguire for England on the back of his performances for Hull. Both have confirmed his belief in them.

Ekeke

Don't think he's expecting Maguire to be as good as Van Dijk.

It is a fact though that centrebacks especially at lower clubs are rated very harshly and whose ratings tend to go up immensely when you stick them in a good side.

Southgate seems pretty good at spotting them. He picked Joe Gomez and played him centrally at a time when he was only doing decently well at fullback recovering from longterm injury and hadn't centrally since the lower leagues. Picked Maguire for England on the back of his performances for Hull. Both have confirmed his belief in them.
Not for Southampton though, they seem to have highly rated defenders all the time

Lovren
Shaw
VVD

Statistically Bednarek is good now and Targett is okay as well

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
For me, this should be the list:

1. De Ligt. In the highly likely event that he is not attainable, move on.

2. Koulibaly. If Napoli really rejected a bid of €110m, move on.

3. Maguire. I think he's worth in and around £60m. Maybe a little bit more given our desperate situation.

Great with the ball at his feet, fantastic at bringing it out from the back too. I remember him bossing us at OT when he was at Hull. He was making runs into midfield and beyond like it was nothing. He's also good in the air which is our biggest weakness. Get the impression he has leadership qualities too, he'd absolutely be a candidate for captain from the day he signs.

4. Alderweireld. I know he's been flirting with returning to Ajax, but surely we could get this over the line if it comes down to it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Really is not. Hes had a few good games and everyone got hyped, thats all. Hes done very little.
Few good games?

He's been excellent for 2 seasons and an international tournament. He's miles ahead of our CB's with the exception of Lindelof who he is still better than.

Shinjch

If we could get him and De Ligt it would have the potential to be transformative for the middle of the team. I greatly doubt that we will get either.

Hammondo

Few good games?

He's been excellent for 2 seasons and an international tournament. He's miles ahead of our CB's with the exception of Lindelof who he is still better than.
Hes not been excellent at all, hes been patchy. You seem like someone who barely watches him play.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hes not been excellent at all, hes been patchy. You seem like someone who barely watches him play.
We could go on and on by here. I don't think you've watched him and you've said the same of me.

I'll agree to disagree.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Really is not. Hes had a few good games and everyone got hyped, thats all. Hes done very little.
Tbf Maguire has been very good for more than 2 seasons. He is caught defensively for few goals but he is very good CB and offers more than just defending.

Hammondo

Tbf Maguire has been very good for more than 2 seasons. He is caught defensively for few goals but he is very good CB and offers more than just defending.
Hes been caught for being way too slow, if he pushes up at all he gets targeted.

Zlatattack

Give them Shaw, Jones and Lingard in exchange plus money, not the worse deal in the world for either side
That's the kind of deal we should try with West ham. Them wheeler dealers love a good bargain. Jones Lingard and Rojo for Rice and Felipe Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.