Harry Maguire | Signed

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by davidmichael, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Fecking loads as it happens. Do you?
  2. Jun 6, 2019

Kush Full Member

:lol:

:lol:
  3. Jun 6, 2019

GDaly95 Sexist Pig

I'm a huge advocate of Maguire, but even I can understand why we'd steer clear given the fee it'd take to get him.

AWB, Maguire, it's getting increasingly hard to get these sort of players.
  4. Jun 6, 2019

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    I certainly wouldn't say he's average. He's a very good player who is liable to make more mistakes than you'd ideally want. If he can sort that out I'd say he'll probably be comfortably the second best central defender in the league (depending on new arrivals). If he doesn't improve that aspect then he's still one of the better ones and the positive certainly outweighs the negative, but he will cost you occasionally.
  5. Jun 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

We'll see next season won't we?
  6. Jun 6, 2019

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

Wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole. I'd rather give Axel a chance.
  7. Jun 6, 2019

foolsgold Full Member

Agreed. For me he's no better than Phil Jones
  8. Jun 6, 2019

Gandalf Full Member

But in case you didn't watch Villa this year, both Maguire and Jones are miles better than Axel. Axel might be a useful squad player eventually but right now he would make Smalling look like VVD.
  9. Jun 6, 2019

Phil Jones without the injuries. Horrible player.
  10. Jun 6, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    :lol:. Best of luck city.
  11. Jun 6, 2019

Watch them get de Ligt and us get this clown for more money :lol:
  12. Jun 6, 2019

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Oh god, please don’t tempt fate!
  13. Jun 6, 2019

mu4c_20le Full Member

He looks good in a well organized Leicester backline. Yes he's brave, but so is Jones and Rojo.
  14. Jun 6, 2019

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He’s absolutely on an equal level to Chris Smalling and Lindelof. Grass is greener syndrome, no doubt.
  15. Jun 6, 2019

Hawks2008 Full Member

Yeah, let's drop £75m on this lump :lol:
  16. Jun 6, 2019

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I just don’t see it with him
  17. Jun 6, 2019

Nr.7 New Member

Weird place for this thread, but anyways I loved that movie.

Cuba Gooding Jr. was brilliant in it. “Show me the moooney”:)
  18. Jun 6, 2019

Bobski Full Member

He is not much above average purely as a defender. This is not new information though, so in investing in him you would have to be convinced that great value lies in his ability on the ball and threat from set pieces.
  19. Jun 6, 2019

Gandalf Full Member

I really don't think we are in for him. Jose had a bit of a man crush because he fit his archetype but Ed balked at paying 70 million for him last year and Leicester now want 85 million and he is coming off a fairly shaky season rather than an impressive WC run. If we do go for a second tier target Ake makes far more sense. Much more athletic and still ascending.
  20. Jun 6, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

This thread is polemico as Ronaldo would say

People making fun of him for the slip up near the end where he tried to usher the ball out and got it pinched off him, or saying hes average

And then other people thinking we'll be missing out if City sign him for £75 million

Cant he just be a pretty good CB who isnt worth what Leicester ask for him? £40-50 million and not as good as the top CBs around imo but would bring some more creative passing and a dribble to the backline, but he also has his weaknesses. Can be a bit risky trying to play outside his own box and lose the ball, and when he goes forward he's not very fast getting back into position.

He'd be an upgrade on Lindelof but I don't see how a CB with those weaknesses can be considered a top class CB or cost as much as one.
  21. Jun 6, 2019

Gandalf Full Member

The price is the PL premium. If he played anywhere else he would be 40 million tops but with the amount of money in the PL even mid table clubs don't need to sell and so will only agree a deal if we pay way over the odds.
  22. Jun 6, 2019

foolsgold Full Member

I was comparing Maguire to Jones rather than making a direct comparison with Axel
  23. Jun 6, 2019

Zed 101 Full Member

In fairness tonight he was playing along side Stones and Walker who may as well have not been there for as much use as they were in defence
  24. Jun 6, 2019

Jake Mine's too big and gay.

Thought he looked good tonight
  25. Jun 6, 2019

Robbie Boy Full Member

Yup same.
  26. Jun 6, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Great defender.
  27. Jun 6, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Don't agree with that at all.

I like him as a player, and I've championed him in the past, but tonight he was shocking.
  28. Jun 6, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

Lindelof was so close to player of the year and deserved it.
  29. Jun 6, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    He's better than both
  30. Jun 6, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

Glad we didn't listen to mourinho on this for extortionate price. I'd rather want koulibaly if we miss out on deligt.
  31. Jun 6, 2019

Kag Full Member

£75 million on Maguire was always a ludicrous suggestion and that hasn’t changed. The executives at the club get enough (both warranted and unwarranted) stick as it is. Give them credit (for now) for not splurging that sort of money on what is effectively a slightly better, less injured version of Phil Jones.
  32. Jun 6, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

I'll still give stick to the board for sleeping on koulibaly last year and extending jones though. They deserve no credit.
  33. Jun 6, 2019

Kag Full Member

What vacuous criticism about Koulibaly should I be prepared for? Because, interestingly, he hasn’t been bought by any other top club, even though some of the best teams in Europe have all been on the market for central defenders. So I’m going to be mature and realistic enough to realise that it probably wasn’t (and still isn’t) a goer.

As for Jones, I agree. I’d have been looking to shift him this summer. As fourth choice, I wouldn’t mind him sticking around, but that probably won’t be the case, sadly.
  34. Jun 6, 2019

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Think Jones is a much better player still. Although he can't avoid injuries so that makes having Maguire better in practice.
  35. Jun 6, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

Well, Liverpool signed van dyk in January, same goes with city on laporte, Barcelona signed lenglet last season and probably were into market for very different areas in the team, Madrid's no 1 is still Ramos with Varane his partner while scouting militiao all this while. Juventus as a fellow rival were not in for him as well while did they did bring back their defensive legend from Milan and were stocking money for Ronaldo. That just leaves psg who were severely dithered by ffp regulations, so i don't see which top teams were in for central defenders in the market.

At the time Jose signed a new contract there was no communication on future list of players and areas which needed strengthening. From that moment on till end of the window not once i remember koulibaly being discussed all summer at least in reports while we were wasting time on targets which weren't interested to come or not worth the money while we were looking for a fair deal. Kouibaly signed a new contract at the end of transfer window practically strengthening napoli's bargaining position and hike the price according to precedent set by Southampton last January. These shambles contributed to us being thrown into Europa league this season along with many more poor decisions of buying matic and neglecting fabinho for fred.

All this time since January to the end of the window we were never in for koulibaly and never came to realize this is the going rate for top defenders now and take advantage of ongoing discussions of new contract between Napoli and koulibaly while we were the only team needing a top tier centre back who could play from the back? They failed to move on Rojo as well and wasted his full wages for a year and jones as well.

The board is culpable for the mess they created last season and were totally caught sleeping on koulibalys contract situation as well.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  36. Jun 6, 2019

MUFC OK Full Member

Pretty sure we will end up with him. Mainly because we have few other realistic alternatives and really have to sign a cab. He’s an upgrade on what we’ve got but won’t be happy with the £70-80m fee.

A case of ‘is what it is’.
  37. Jun 7, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

60m and its a good deal. We will have to pair him with Bailey though. He is built like a tank and take ages to turn.

Imo, we should sign Toby and just be done with it for this year. Will try next year for better options.
  38. Jun 7, 2019

MUFC OK Full Member

Contrary to what I said above, I’d be more happy with signing Toby, I think he’s a better player.
  39. Jun 7, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

I think this is the most depressing post of the day

£60 million for Maguire, Bailly starting and Toby for £25 million and another big wage on the books
  40. Jun 7, 2019

Jibbs New Member

I would rather get Maguire than Koulibaly. But I'd rather get Ruben Dias than Maguire. I would love if we sign both Ruben and De Ligt. De Ligt for all his qualities is right sided CB and so is Lindelof. I only see us going for De Ligt if we are ready to send Lindelof to the bench. Somehow Lindelof and De Ligt doesn't seem like a good pairing complementing each other.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.