Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Seems utterly bizarre to me that we're still trying to negotiate with Leicester for him. Just move onto our second target because he is clearly not worth the amount of money that Leicester are demanding. All we're doing is wasting time in the transfer market for a player who's club has significantly over valued.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems utterly bizarre to me that we're still trying to negotiate with Leicester for him. Just move onto our second target because he is clearly not worth the amount of money that Leicester are demanding. All we're doing is wasting time in the transfer market for a player who's club has significantly over valued.
Maybe they are not still negotiating with Leicester

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
we haven't overvalued him we have set a price designed to keep the player

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There's way too much paper talk, surely someone would have mentioned we've walked away by now?
Or maybe the deal is done. Since there is also paper talk of Leicester negotiating his replacement

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
There's way too much paper talk, surely someone would have mentioned we've walked away by now?
The media are desperate for this transfer to happen so they can label Maguire as he most expensive defender ever then either build him up as the best in the world or tare him to shreds, its what they do with England internationals remember.

The want Leicester, Wolves etc to challenge the top 6 but at the same time want all our best players sold
Or maybe the deal is done. Since there is also paper talk of Leicester negotiating his replacement
not from anyone reliable there isn't

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we only offer 30m (lower than market value) and keep unsettling the player, now that’s what I called bullying. But when they asking for double for 90m, and we offer the highest bid out of all for around 70m, that is what I called pure greed or taking a piss.

GioF

Leicester don’t have to sell from a financial point of view but from a players perspective it doesn’t make sense to demand a very high fee that may price him out of a move. It may impact players signing or them in the future.

If Maguire was bought for £60-70m I would think we had seriously overpaid but I’d understand that Leicester didn’t want to sell and therefore demanded a high fee and more than his market value.

To expect upwards of £80m however just seems unnecessary. Leicester’s ambition is great but let’s be honest we are not even on the same planet in terms of club size and prestige. Maguire wants to sign for us and that’s understandable due to our history, wealth and stature.

Surely a common ground could be found in a timely manner to allow Maguire and his replacement at Leicester to get ready for the new season. That would suit both clubs.

Posh Red

we haven't overvalued him we have set a price designed to keep the player
Surely if you didn't want to sell, and were setting a price designed to keep the player, then it wouldn't be a mere five to ten million above the alleged bid from United? To me it seems they are quite happy to sell him but are trying to squeeze and extra few million out of the deal.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
No he’s absolutely the best player we could get for that position. Not sure why so many seem to not get this. He’ll be awesome for us when we get him.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester don’t have to sell from a financial point of view but from a players perspective it doesn’t make sense to demand a very high fee that may price him out of a move. It may impact players signing or them in the future.

If Maguire was bought for £60-70m I would think we had seriously overpaid but I’d understand that Leicester didn’t want to sell and therefore demanded a high fee and more than his market value.

To expect upwards of £80m however just seems unnecessary. Leicester’s ambition is great but let’s be honest we are not even on the same planet in terms of club size and prestige. Maguire wants to sign for us and that’s understandable due to our history, wealth and stature.

Surely a common ground could be found in a timely manner to allow Maguire and his replacement at Leicester to get ready for the new season. That would suit both clubs.
If Maguire is that desperate to go he should hand in a formal transfer request, but he won't because he doesn't want to lose the loyalty bonus and people talk about Leicester being greedy
:lol:
Surely if you didn't want to sell, and were setting a price designed to keep the player, then it wouldn't be a mere five to ten million above the alleged bid from United? To me it seems they are quite happy to sell him but are trying to squeeze and extra few million out of the deal.
if it was a mere £5-10m then it would be easy for United to pay it, the point of setting a high fee is to make it difficult for United, or anyone to be willing or able to pay it

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Disagree strongly. Very, very strongly.
Seconded. I think he'll do relatively well got us and all that, but I also think in a year or two, our fans will be angry and other fans will take the piss that we spent this sort of money on Maguire, when we could have had one of other CBs we've been linked with, for much smaller fees.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No he’s absolutely the best player we could get for that position. Not sure why so many seem to not get this. He’ll be awesome for us when we get him.
Disagree. Remember Evans outperformed him last season in Leicester.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Maguire is a quality defender. We wouldn’t be signing him otherwise.
Just like we signed Jones, and Bailly, and Smalling, and Rojo, cause they're quality defenders? Like, we obviously don't get things wrong and if the scouts/whoever at the club says the defender is quality then they definitely will be.

BluesJr

Just like we signed Jones, and Bailly, and Smalling, and Rojo, cause they're quality defenders? Like, we obviously don't get things wrong and if the scouts/whoever at the club says the defender is quality then they definitely will be.
Every single one of them was a ‘potential’ signing at the time. Everyone doubting this will be back with their tails between their legs by Christmas.

romufc

Actually you are wrong, Jones and Smalling were young prospects, Bailly had one season of La liga. Maguire has had more and has had England international caps. He is a seasoned premier league CB.

Massive Spanner

Every single one of them was a ‘potential’ signing at the time. Everyone doubting this will be back with their tails between their legs by Christmas.
Oh well then that's ok. As long as they're potential I guess we can forgive the club for four out of our last defender's being shite signings.

To clarfiy - I'm not saying Maguire won't be good for us, but the club offering big money doesn't automatically mean he's really good, especially when it's our club, who have been diabolical at transfers for the last decade.

Massive Spanner

Actually you are wrong, Jones and Smalling were young prospects, Bailly had one season of La liga. Maguire has had more and has had England international caps. He is a seasoned premier league CB.
I'm not wrong. They're defenders the club signed that weren't good enough. Just cause Maguire isn't "potential" doesn't mean he's good enough for us based on the club paying big money for him. That's silly logic.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thats an odd way of thinking, so if you think a shop charges too much for a loaf of bread they should compromise the price instead of you shopping somewhere cheaper for your bread?

If you cannot meet the valuation buy a cheaper defender, its simple.

Of course we hold the cards he is an asset we own under contract.

Now whether its best for our club is of course not known at this point, but on a pure commercial transaction basis we have no obligation to lower our price.
In your analogy it's more like the loaf is pristine right now, no one is willing to buy it except for 1 customer, who is offering 90% of the price you want, which you doubled over the last 2 years.

You can keep the loaf, but at some point it's going to lose value, and there's only 1 person looking to buy it.

You can of course just eat it yourself.

BluesJr

Oh well then that's ok. As long as they're potential I guess we can forgive the club for four out of our last defender's being shite signings.

To clarfiy - I'm not saying Maguire won't be good for us, but the club offering big money doesn't automatically mean he's really good, especially when it's our club, who have been diabolical at transfers for the last decade.
This is a different kind of signing. Pep wanted him as well and probably still would if the price wasn’t so crazy. He’s a quality player who’ll instantly improve us immediately with little doubt considering his experience in the PL. We can’t afford punts at the back right now.

TrueRed79

Is it time for us to start a petition to "Free Maguire". Isn't he just a hostage now like Ronaldo was? Poor fella.....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ironic given the price his club is asking for Maguire
Point remains the same Rodgers is complaining about something his club are very much part of the problem of

If Leicester sell us Maguire for 45m you may be able to go and get someone like Dunk for 15m ;)

(not entirely serious)

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Can anyone find a clip of Maguire's red card vs Burnley in March? I can't find it anywhere on Youtube but I remember watching Match of the Day at the time and thinking that's a prime example of why we shouldn't be signing him for a world record fee. Maguire is error-prone (albeit not as error-prone as Jones & Bailly) and is worryingly slow. When he makes a mistake he doesn't have the pace to recover from it.

Massive Spanner

This is a different kind of signing. Pep wanted him as well and probably still would if the price wasn’t so crazy. He’s a quality player who’ll instantly improve us immediately with little doubt considering his experience in the PL. We can’t afford punts at the back right now.
Pep wanted Sanchez too. He also signed John Stones for £50m. Hardly a flying endorsement of his quality is it?

romufc

I'm not wrong. They're defenders the club signed that weren't good enough. Just cause Maguire isn't "potential" doesn't mean he's good enough for us based on the club paying big money for him. That's silly logic.
Jones has been injury prone, that is something you cant forecast.

I didnt say he is good based on money, If you read, I said Maguire is a seasoned PL CB who is England's first choice CB. And the reason I say he is good enough for us is he gets in the England team ahead of Jones, and smalling who are first team at Manutd. So yes, he is good enough for us compared to the current CB's.

So you tell me, who is good enough for Manutd that will be cheaper than say £60m?

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
For those moaning about our valuation, that will include a loyalty payment we would have to make to maguire as there has been no transfer request.

If maguire is so desperate to leave he can push a transfer request, forfeit his loyalty bonus and that would likely be taken off the valuation. Its a big reason why valuations often go down following a request.

Massive Spanner

Jones has been injury prone, that is something you cant forecast.

I didnt say he is good based on money, If you read, I said Maguire is a seasoned PL CB who is England's first choice CB. And the reason I say he is good enough for us is he gets in the England team ahead of Jones, and smalling who are first team at Manutd. So yes, he is good enough for us compared to the current CB's.

So you tell me, who is good enough for Manutd that will be cheaper than say £60m?
Is that really what we want to settle for in a CB, though? Like.. he's better than what we have, when what we have is pure shite, and he will cost a world record fee? It's hardly a big endorsement of him, is it?

Why do they have to be less than £60m when Maguire is likely to cost £80m? :confused: it's also not my job it identify these players, it's our vast array of scouts, who have seemingly decided that (maybe) the best defender outside of the top six, for a world-record fee, is our best choice. Well done lads, top scoutin'.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

We aren't paid scouts, most of us only catch a few games outside of EPL and CL. It's just very hard to believe there aren't much better options for cheaper on the continent, given I don't rate Maguire particularly highly.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't think he's our 1st target either, reckon Koulibaly and de Ligt were both above him.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Disagree strongly. Very, very strongly.
I disagree with you stronglier. Very, very stronglier. Harry is a damn good CB with strong leadership qualities which is exactly what this rudderless club needs right now. Is he the best CB in the world, of course not, but he's definitely in the top tier of CBs that are available and interested in joining United. We could try to buy some unproven CB for 50 million, but then everyone would be bitching about paying 50 mil for a prospect.

romufc

Is that really what we want to settle for in a CB, though? Like.. he's better than what we have, when what we have is pure shite, and he will cost a world record fee? It's hardly a big endorsement of him, is it?

Why do they have to be less than £60m when Maguire is likely to cost £80m? :confused: it's also not my job it identify these players, it's our vast array of scouts, who have seemingly decided that (maybe) the best defender outside of the top six, for a world-record fee, is our best choice. Well done lads, top scoutin'.

If it is not your job and it is the scout to chose, then let them do their job? if they think he is worth £80m then so be it. You cannot have an opinion to say he is over priced and then say it is not my job.

Massive Spanner

If it is not your job and it is the scout to chose, then let them do their job? if they think he is worth £80m then so be it. You cannot have an opinion to say he is over priced and then say it is not my job.
Oh I'm not allowed have an opinion, on a football forum, which is meant for .. opinions?

I shouldn't doubt our scouts despite them fecking up about 80% of the transfers we've made this decade?

I'll just go back into the corner and agree with everything the club do, then.

romufc

We aren't paid scouts, most of us only catch a few games outside of EPL and CL. It's just very hard to believe there aren't much better options for cheaper on the continent, given I don't rate Maguire particularly highly.
There well may be, but we have seen with Lindelof, Bailly that Cb take time to adapt in the premier league. And this is not just us, City with Mangala (who is being let go on a free), and to some extent Laporte took a while to settle.

Now, if you want to take a risk on a potential CB at say £50m and takes a year to settle and we dont get CL, is there a point?

We know Maguire can hack the prem. I don't think he is the best, but he fits the profile Ole wants.

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Pretty happy with BR, as you call him, at Liverpool he was know simply as Brendan, at Swansea he was Known as The Manager, with a Big head. At Celtic he managed in a league that's pretty poor let's be fair.

He's got experience alright at messing things up, and how many managers have the foxes sacked in last few years!!! BR will be on top of my list, BR bloody rubbish. Ohh and lock up the players wife's he likes a dabble around.
You like him then?

I'll send my Mrs round , might give me some peace, then again she's an ugly fecker.
On a serious note re Brendan, BR pure laziness btw. I'd rather judge him on what he does for the team, playing style and results, early signs look good yet time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how both our managers/teams fare next season, it will be very telling where both teams are in their respective rebuilding.

Obviously you have the advantage of being such a massive and wealthy club but don't dismiss us though!

Last edited by a moderator:

poleglass red

Problem there is, you have the settling in issue. Look at Lindelof, he looked much better last season but he's still a lot of improving to do. Rojo and Bailly, still don't look right when they play. Maguire is way overpriced, no doubt about it, but he comes in and there really shouldn't be any settling in issues. He's comfortable on the ball, good in the air, he already knows and has played with some of our team. Plus he will command and organise that backline, considering we have youngish full backs, that's a big plus. Bringing in someone from outside, to expect than to command and lead from the get go when they are trying to settle themselves and may not even speak the lingo is a big ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.