Has it become obvious now that we can’t challenge for the league?

Nikelesh Reddy

this worries me, we’re going to waste this incredible group of players and not seriously challenge for the league. Ole must go.
Ronaldo won 1 league title and no Championsleagues in the first 5 seasons of his Real Madrid career…And that was when he was at his peak…I”m not worried about what about he feels,I”m just worried that under this manager we could have any wasted season…

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No chance because we have one bad result and it leads to bad form for well over a month. Each and every time.

It’s never just a slip up like we had under Fergie, it’s a slip and an inability to get back up.

Mike Smalling

It has become ridiculously easy to play against us. Basically, if you are content with a point, you can just sit back. We may score from a piece of brilliance or good play, but are also certain to concede from a set piece, counter or individual mistake. Any game becomes a coin toss, and 90% of our opponents will take that going in.

soapythecat

We aren’t even going to threaten a top 4 position, let alone a league title.
Ole in crowd are delusional if they think we can. He’s gone this season, this much is plain to see.

wolvored

He gets criticised for making subs too early and criticised for not making subs. Are we being too harsh?
Subs at the right time whether early or late. At that time 9-10 mins and we were still in control of the game. Neither player had fecked up either. Ive said before has he got raffle tickets in his left pocket for mins to sub and right pocket who to take off as there is no logic to it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was pretty obvious pre season with our midfield.

largelyworried

To challenge for the title would mean us fixing several of last season's problems. Basically, we need to add about 15 points to last season's tally to be potential champions. That's a big step up and it should be obvious from our overall performances that we'd improved. So far we have all the same problems as last year, plus an even more leaky defence. We've actually done worse this season than from last seasons corresponding fixtures. No sign of a big uplift in quality so far.

My guess is that the sheer firepower we have up front will result in turning a few more draws into wins or losses into draws, and we'll finish on around 78 to 80ish points. Unless something remarkable happens to our rivals, that won't be enough to be in the title race.

pascell

Our squad can go up against anyone else's, it's when it comes down to the tactical side between managers and how they adapt in game to win games when their sides are up against it.

Ole isn't better than Tuchel, Pep and Klopp.

youmeletsfly

I know the thread is just a reaction after the game, but if you thought we're challenging for the league with this team, setup and manager, then you were out of your god damn mind.
What have you been watching the last 3 years?

I mean props to the guy for starting the rebuild, getting rid of the shit ones, but a proper manager and a proper coaching setup needs to take over. Added to that, we're very top heavy with a sub average midfield and a league 1 right back.

MUFC OK

Ronaldo won 1 league title and no Championsleagues in the first 5 seasons of his Real Madrid career…And that was when he was at his peak…I”m not worried about what about he feels,I”m just worried that under this manager we could have any wasted season…
It’s been 3 years now, the squad is better than ever yet we’re underachieving more than ever. Mistakes are continually repeated.

the only time we looked like a decent TEAM was when we had Bruno, pogba and matic in midfield. The obsession with mcfred is in equal parts bizarre bewildering.

SAFMUTD

In a couple of years we'll have the "what could have been?" Feeling.

World-class squad, midtable football.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I think it's starting to become clear that Ole has likely taken us as far as he can at the moment. Top 4 and possibly a trophy a feel is the limit. I also feel that with the squad we could be doing more.

City, Liverpool and Chelsea all have more experienced coaches and I do think that's telling.
Yep. Even if we somehow manage to get the perfect manager and DM, we will still only have 25% of a chance of winning the league taking into account the quality of the other 3 squads and managers.
But based on the current performances and results it feels that would still be a 25% higher chance than we have now …

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great group of players with a manager who is beginning to overstay his welcome IMO. He did fine for 2 years. Now it's time to be serious again and replace him, like Chelsea decided enough fecking around and replaced Lampard with Tuchel.

always_hoping

Had become obvious before the season started. Liverpool, City, Chelsea should all finish ahead of United by a bit to spare. Will be battle to finish 4th when so error prone and inconsistent.

abailey123

Issue comes from midfield. We don’t have a 6. McTominay is an 8 all day long yet we’re trying to shoehorn him as a 6.
We’re trying to play out from the back on about 84 minutes, AWB has the ball and McTominay just wanders out of position.Serious problem our midfield

Hammondo

Meanwhile Chelsea are making light work of Southampton with Loftus-Cheek in centre midfield.
It’s almost as though managers are important. You know, kinda like how we turned to shite after SAF left.
That's fair enough, but their midfield is leagues ahead of ours.

leon24

Don’t be surprised if Ole wins against Leicester and plays well but draw against Liverpool and Ole gets to save his job again.

And he’ll go through another purple patch and then manages to some rabbits out of the hat. Repeat. Until the board realise they’ll been fooled by a clown for years.

Squaaaad

We have the squad quality to challenge for the league but unfortunately we do not have the coaching quality to enable our squad to play at a title winning level.

Todd

Yes, it's fairly obvious that we're not title contenders, and not all of it is Ole's fault.

We're basically guaranteed to concede a goal every match so knowing you need at least 2 every time out is a problem.

And our defense is getting exposed week in and week out. Our defenders are good 'offensive' defenders but when it comes to actual defending there are clearly problems.

Leftback99

This bollocks excuse. How many transfer windows does he need before actually fecking buying one then? Cause 80m was just spent to add a 3rd left winger to our squad.
Beats me. Any semblance of a plan in the summer looks like it went out of the window by signing Ronaldo.

Last edited:
Yes, it's fairly obvious that we're not title contenders, and not all of it is Ole's fault.

We're basically guaranteed to concede a goal every match so knowing you need at least 2 every time out is a problem.

And our defense is getting exposed week in and week out. Our defenders are good 'offensive' defenders but when it comes to actual defending there are clearly problems.
Who’s fault is it we’re conceding goals? Has Ole not spent a small fortune on his back line?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes. We are in for another top 4 battle but fortunately it doesn’t look like there will be many teams below us capable of getting 70+ points so we should finish 4th comfortably. Miles behind all of City, Chelsea and Liverpool though.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
We signed Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane and look the same as last year. It's obvious that the manager isn't good enough. I am thankful to Ole for what he has done so far, he steadied the ship and build a good squad, he definitely didn't end up beeing a disaster like Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, but he reached his limits now. Let's end it on a good note instead of waiting till he loses the dressing room and we have to sack him. Bayern sack managers that win them the league, when they see they losing touch to the best teams in Europe or not looking all that great on the pitch. We are Manchester United, we don't need to wait till everything turns to shit again. It should be fine sacking a manager because he is solid but just not good enough for our ambitions. Our squad is fantastic, let's not waste it and especially Ronaldo on a manager who can't compete tactically.

Ludens the Red

It’s almost as if he spent 200 million on that defence.

To the thread. It was laughable to think this team would get close to a title in all honesty. I had us down as 4th and have seen very little if nothing to think that’ll change.

That's fair enough, but their midfield is leagues ahead of ours.
We have Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes, our issue is that we have no fecking idea what to do with them. There is zero plan and hasn’t been for a long long time now.
We can bet your arse Pep, Klopp or Tuchel would get a functional midfield out of our squad, cause you know, they’d have a plan.

ClosetDevil

At this stage I think we're gonna struggle to make the Europa league next year.

United Hobbit

We could if we get someone competent in quickly. We’ll wait March when it’s all too late and the Ole faithful can act as if his inability to do the job has come as a shock
This.

I wonder if he will lose the dressing room now it contains serial winners...

We all know he will finally look under threat, then put a little run together and be saved yet again

Should never have got the renewal. The signs were there

He should have nowhere to hide with this group of players. I said when the CL draw was made that he should be sacked for not making it out the group

He's stabilised the club, but needs to go ASAP as we are starting to go backwards

Differentiation needs to be made between him as a player and him as a manager

Devil may care

I actually thought the performance today was arguably our best of the season, but judging by the posts here I'm guessing the result is stoking posters into a frenzy as they genuinely thought we had a chance of winning the league, I never did so the performance was more important than the result as Ole and his coaches had lost my faith, we looked like Mourinho's United in the last 2 games, today we looked like a properly drilled football team. The fact we have no midfield was always going to cost us, some seemingly underestimated how poor McFred are, they're not good enough to get into a number of PL sides midfield, nevermind City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Leftback99

We signed Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane and look the same as last year. It's obvious that the manager isn't good enough. I am thankful to Ole for what he has done so far, he steadied the ship and build a good squad, he definitely didn't end up beeing a disaster like Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, but he reached his limits now. Let's end it on a good note instead of waiting till he loses the dressing room and we have to sack him. Bayern sack managers that win them the league, when they see they losing touch to the best teams in Europe or not looking all that great on the pitch. We are Manchester United, we don't need to wait till everything turns to shit again. It should be fine sacking a manager because he is solid but just not good enough for our ambitions. Our squad is fantastic, let's not waste it and especially Ronaldo on a manager who can't compete tactically.
Varane is an improvement over Lindelof but Sancho doesn't make us better than playing Rashford or Greenwood. Jury is out on whether Ronaldo makes us a better team than what Cavani was giving at the end of last season. The gaping hole to improve the team was in centre midfield and it wasn't addressed.