Has it become obvious now that we can’t challenge for the league?

laughtersassassin

Of course we can't. We have a squad that can but compare our manager to the other 3.

Ole can't compete with Klopp Tuchel and Pep

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Inappropriate meme image
DELETED.

Admin Reminder : No memes in the footy forums

Last edited by a moderator:

Skills

Snitch
You don't win the title in October, but you can lose it. I reckon our "title challenge" will end after the Liverpool game.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Of course you can challenge for the league. It's still early.

El Jefe

Most of us on here thought we'd have no chance because of you know who but we were called bad fans and told to go and support City or something.

Idxomer

It was obvious the moment the board thought Ole is good enough for title challenges and trophies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Unfortunately you're probably right. However... how long until people start claiming the goal for the season was never a title challenge, but top 4 all along?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Even if we were playing well at the moment... We are nowhere near consistent enough to even think about challenging for a league title.

Anustart89

Our ability to challenge for the title is completely detached from our own performances on the football pitch.

You see, if all other teams draw this weekend and we end up being one point off the top of the league then we are a brilliant football side who are definitely challenging for the big honours.

Roboc7

There’s no hope of winning the league with Ole as manager and Mcfred playing every week, I’ve no idea how anyone can think otherwise.

Nikelesh Reddy

With this manager yes, with these players no, we really should be there or there abouts.
What can we do to fix this situation?Sack Ole and sign the best manager who’s available right now?Would Zidane or Conte be good enough to manage us?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Unfortunately you're probably right. However... how long until people start claiming the goal for the season was never a title challenge, but top 4 all along?
When our october and november fixtures are done and dusted.

stw2022

We could if we get someone competent in quickly. We’ll wait March when it’s all too late and the Ole faithful can act as if his inability to do the job has come as a shock

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We will go on another run and then we will pull off these kind of performance again. To win this league, we are just not good enough

Nikelesh Reddy

You don't win the title in October, but you can lose it. I reckon our "title challenge" will end after the Liverpool game.
I”m not too sure about this.We tend to play much better against the top teams…I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Liverpool…But then we”ll end up losing silly points against teams that we are expected to beat.That’s the problem…

InfiniteBoredom

We’ve dropped 7 points after 7 matches with the easiest fixture list out of any challengers. It’s not completely lost yet but continue on that vein for the next 2 months, which is brutal, then our league season will be over before December.

Matthew84!

I think we'll play better after the break tbh as Sancho is now getting his fitness up and Rashford will be back plus Maguire will be back, if its all over by Xmas I expect the manager to be let go.

LoneStar

You need to hit 90+ points to challenge or win the title.

Do you think we can hit that? Absolutely not. Yet another season fighting for top 4. Oh, and look we are out of the one cup we had a good chance of winning.

Josep Dowling

Bingo! Another £100m plus spent and getting no where further forward.

Abraxas

We're simply not playing well enough. It's too early to say it's obviously over but it very clearly will be unless performances improve because the standards set for winning this league are high.

Over 38 games there is no getting fortunate or scrambling to a title challenge, for the most part the results will follow the performances. If we're conceding simple goals and not creating enough then there are problems at both ends of the pitch and even if we solve one it will probably leave us short of the relentless consistency required.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As clear as the nose on your face.

FatTails

We were never in the title challenge IMO. I can’t remember which thread it was but before the season started, I said I expect us to be battling for 3rd with Liverpool, with City and Chelsea ahead of us.

Nothing I’ve seen since the start of the season has convinced me otherwise.

Betson

Compared to other potential title challengers we have had on paper the easiest run of games so far , but despite that we are still struggling to get wins , at best we are a top 4 team.

And were lucky Villareal did not put us away the other night as well before we got the winner. I reckon we will be a Europa team again soon enough as well.

We just don't seem to be making any progress.

ShinjiNinja26

If Ronaldo senses that this season is going to fizzle out into nothing then he’s going to make this feelings known. Major pressure on Ole.

laughtersassassin

I”m not too sure about this.We tend to play much better against the top teams…I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Liverpool…But then we”ll end up losing silly points against teams that we are expected to beat.That’s the problem…
That was true two seasons ago mate.

Last year we where shite versus the top teams!

MichaelRed

Ronaldo's reaction at the end of the game was that of a serial winner that knows he's wasted a year of his career without a chance of a trophy.