Has Juan Mata been a flop?

Foxbatt

Berbatov a flop? If you can call a flop for someone who scored the most league goals in a season ( equal) while playing less games than his competitor, then I don't know what a success is. Berbatov was never a flop. Mata is never even close to what berbatov achieved at United.

Berbatov a flop? If you can call a flop for someone who scored the most league goals in a season ( equal) while playing less games than his competitor, then I don't know what a success is. Berbatov was never a flop. Mata is never even close to what berbatov achieved at United.
It is somewhat relative. Berbatov played on a team that had Rooney, Tevez, Giggs, Scholes and Ronaldo. In the context of his transfer fee, the expectations of his arrival and what he brought to the team, I would consider him a flop. However, like Mata a really good bloke.

I’m not sure whether Mata is a flop or not, he’s been a good player, but he’s never fitted in and never been played to his strengths.

Jericho

Berbatov was left out of the champions league final squad that year though. Ferguson didn’t even want him on the bench.

Gator Nate

I enjoyed watching him tonight and think he's probably a good one to have in the locker room on a night like this, with a squad like this. He's a mature player who won't lose his head when the kids make mistakes. Some of his interplay with Pereira was fun to see, but they couldn't have gotten away with it in a league game, I don't think.

Calling him a flop is a bit harsh, but he certainly didn't live up to the price tag.

Dr Foo

For what we thought he was going to be based on his Chelsea career, he has been a flop. You look at his highlights for them and it's like looking at a different player, he looked so much more dangerous every time he got the ball in or around the box.
That Mata which had 19 goals and 35 assists in 12/13 for Chelsea looked like one of the best players in the league. He could take on players, make killer passed and had dangerous set piece deliveries. He started decently here, but got lost in our quagmire of transition one way or another. Had some ok games at right wing but became a non entity (like quite a few of our team) in many others. Significant decline from his Chelsea days, but still a useful squad player to keep if we have no alternatives

Champagne Football

I'd say Fellaini and Mata are our 2 best post Ferguson signings tbh. They did about as well as can be expected considering the quality elsewhere. Both were good #10's who largely performed to the same above average level every week. There being no midfield, defence, full backs, strikers or wingers for a lot of their united career wasn't really on them.
Now is different obviously and I'd be wary of playing either Mata or Matic. Playing both is a fairly terrible idea i'd say.
Wan-Bissaka, Daniel James and Harry Maguire are light years ahead of the 2 you mentioned as our best post Fergie signings.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Can you not just be happy with the team you say you support winning 4-0 in Europe with a load of Academy Grads in the team without having a pop at one of the games nice guys, yeah he may be done at the top level as a starter, but as a squad man passing on his invaluable experience he(Mata)has an important part to play in what we hope to achieve this season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I’m not sure whether Mata is a flop or not, he’s been a good player, but he’s never fitted in and never been played to his strengths.
That is because despite being a good player, he flopped. That has been my view for a long time, but he has grown on me and I like him way more now than when we bought him because I've also accepted him as a flop along the way. It isn't his fault and he is a good guy obviously, but despite being a good player he was a terrible signing to make, and to me that made him a flop since he hasn't ever made himself undroppable and that's not what we supposedly wanted to buy. I think the last extension was ridiculous, and just highlights how much of a bad signing he has been instead of it being a big positive to the kids, but whatever at least he is not playing much so the kids do get chances.

caid

Wan-Bissaka, Daniel James and Harry Maguire are light years ahead of the 2 you mentioned as our best post Fergie signings.
Yeah, looks that way. They haven't even been here half a season though. Its not exactly a glowing endorsement regardless.
I thought he looked better the more the game wore on. Probably not straightforward to hit the ground running with his limited appearances and he had some very good play in the 2nd half. Thought the midfield 3 looked extremely weak and vulnerable too though for a lot of the first half. Getting McTominay and Fred behind him would work a hell of a lot better imo but thats obvious i guess. Was good that we got away with resting them.

rollingstoned1

tbf you'd be hard pressed to find any player whom we signed in this period who met expectations or could be considered a runaway success so some context is essential before you consider him a flop. Of course it felt at the time that when we couldn't get the best out of Kagawa why we were signing Mata in what looks now in hindsight like a move that was made more out of panic and desperation considering how our season was going at the time and that we had only signed fellaini in the summer in 2013.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Definitely a flop. Played some horny football yesterday though.

TRUERED89

Matafield and Turin! Two of his best ever moments! Given us some great goals in his time in otherwise dysfunctional teams.

MiceOnMeth

In my mind he's a flop because I thought we were getting our own David Silva, but in reality Mata was never going to be that good.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's hard to compare him with Seba who arrived in a team that already had an outstanding midfield partnership and had no previous Premier League experience like Mata who was a star player in the league. I just think they were both very good players bought maybe at the wrong time. With Seba he had some major injuries that I think he carried most of the time he played for us, but the type of player he was and the talent he had he would have been a better fit for the post SAF side than Mata was.

And even though Berba didn't really produce as expected - and again, was probably the wrong purchase when we could have secured Tevez - I still think he had more about him than Mata.

I'd rate the Mata deal at about 6/10.
I'm not making any comment about them as players, simply how successful the transfer turned out to be

Veron was a clear flop and it wasn't due to injury - English football simply didnt suit him

Whereas I don't think of Berba or Mata as flops, both were hit and miss but both had enough good moment to be remembered in a positive light for United

And if we are talking.about value then the Mata transfer was not on the record breaking levels of Veron or Berba anyway so expectation level is not the same

PieCrust

Mata has been ok. He was a panic January buy and he was never the right fit for us. Even when we play with a #10, it's hardly ever been Mata and all the mangers have stuck him out on the RW more or less, where is maybe not awful, but not very good. He peaked at Chelsea and we never got that same player at United.

At this point I don't really even like seeing Mata as a squad player. It seems his greatest strength, his technical ability, isn't what it once was and he's just painfully slow both on and off the ball. Hope to see him gone after next summer.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He hasn't hit the heights of his Chelsea days but I'm far from comfortable calling him a flop. Schneiderlin was a flop. Depay was a flop. Di Maria was a flop. Mata's had six seasons with us and figured in some important moments.

knot_buzz

I think calling him a flop is a bit steep.

It doesn't help him that our past managers seem to think he is a winger.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Better than Veron, somewhere around same success level as Berbartov - certainly not a flop

And given price inflation, not as big as signing as either of those either
An unquestionable flop IMO.

RedIan

Not a flop for me. He’s had some great games and scored some fantastic goals - but also had some not so great games. Very technically gifted its a shame he doesnt have any pace.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
An unquestionable flop IMO.
Depends on your definition of flop I suppose, for me someone who has been around for that long and had many good games for us can't be described as a flop.

JoaquinJoaquin

In my mind he's a flop because I thought we were getting our own David Silva, but in reality Mata was never going to be that good.
I think that's what alot of people thought, rightly or wrongly.

Mata has had a pretty good career at United in general, but when you look at it from the perspective of what he achieved at Chelsea and what we expected him to be, he has probably been a flop overall.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has been a flop yes, was one of our most expensive signings at the time, and has not had that sort of impact

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It is somewhat relative. Berbatov played on a team that had Rooney, Tevez, Giggs, Scholes and Ronaldo. In the context of his transfer fee, the expectations of his arrival and what he brought to the team, I would consider him a flop. However, like Mata a really good bloke.

Top scorer in the league, I think thats in line with the expectations of the fee, not sure he was a flop

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd say he probably has been a flop to be honest. From the player he was when he came here, he's never gotten close to replicating it. Mostly due to being played out of position, until his legs had gone and we actually started using a 10

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Hasn't been anything close to a flop. One of our best players in recent years.

Nonetheless, he hasn't ever been as good as he was in his last full season at Chelsea.

Foxbatt

Berbatov was left out of the champions league final squad that year though. Ferguson didn’t even want him on the bench.
Big mistake by Fergie. Berbatov would have held up the ball a lot more better than anyone else. Fergie let him down by not even letting him play in some league matches where we were winning. If he had played about 3 more matches he would have beaten Tevez to the highest scorer. Neither Ronaldo nor Tevez was in the United side that Berbatov became the top scorer.

Castia

Sadly yes.

Hes a decent player but Chelsea cashed in at the right time. Technically a good player but he lacks the pace to be any real danger in my opinion.

Siorac

Berbatov scored 20 league goals that season but 11 of those came in just three games, all at Old Trafford. Beyond those games, his league record that season is 9 in 29 which is... unspectacular. And that was his best season, by far - by the end of which he couldn't even make the team.

Flop is a strong word but Berbatov was underwhelming, with a few moments of magic sprinkled in.

Mike Smalling

Berbatov scored 20 league goals that season but 11 of those came in just three games, all at Old Trafford. Beyond those games, his league record that season is 9 in 29 which is... unspectacular. And that was his best season, by far - by the end of which he couldn't even make the team.

Flop is a strong word but Berbatov was underwhelming, with a few moments of magic sprinkled in.
Three of those were in a 3-2 victory against Liverpool and against Birmingham and Blackburn he scored both opening goals. I bet you could make similar arguments against other league top scorers if you can selectively discard certain games from their record.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I would call him a flop if We constantly gave him a chance at the No. 10 position, so I wouldn't. He's just 'alright'.

We put a plumber to fix the electricity so while you can say the plumber didn't do a good job, you can also say We're idiots.

Siorac

Three of those were in a 3-2 victory against Liverpool and against Birmingham and Blackburn he scored both opening goals. I bet you could make similar arguments against other league top scorers if you can selectively discard certain games from their record.
Maybe - some league top scorers didn't have spectacular seasons.

The point is that for the vast majority of games, Berbatov was nothing special; he just had a few outstanding games.

To make it even simpler: I'd prefer a striker who scored a single goal in 10 consecutive games to a striker who scores five goals in two different games and then goes on an 8-game drought. They both end up with 10 goals but to me it's clear who's been the better striker over those 10 games.

Tribec

I wasn't keen on him being bought to be honest. He was just another name to fill in the mysterious number 10 role that United felt they had to bring in, and everyone they have brought in to play that role has failed and that includes during Fergie's time at the club. He's capable of being sublime and running the game for us, though hardly ever these days. He was never blessed with speed, so when he started out wide he was always going to struggle and his desire to track back when out wide is questionable.

However, somewhere in the midst of all of this successive managers have constantly selected him in squads and continue to play him, and yes at times he's invisible for long periods he's liable to deliver something for you. Would I say he's a flop? I'm not sure flop is the word I use I think he's been a bit of a let down for us, never really stepping up conistently for us as he had at Chelsea, but then we've never played a system suitable for a "number 10" to shine and we've had some good ones who have tried to play that role for us and fail. We've let him down in that sense, but he's adapted the best he can to our style of play and does a job for us when called upon, which is what we ask of our players anyway.

cyril C

Disappointment rather than flop, considering the money that we paid.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
For me yes. Mata symbolises the below average performance of the last 6 years.

We signed him from Chelsea, at a time when he was a regular scorer and assist maker. He was deemed not physical enough for a Mourinho who also allowed Salah and KdB to leave.

Mata was a huge expense at 45m. Despite some ok periods he has largely been unable to contribute, not skilful enough to be a diminutive, elusive 10 like Silva. Not powerful enough to play wide. Generally he has never looked like a top tier player, certainly not like a Man United player. Made me think his Chelsea form was a purple patch, he never did anything close to those numbers for us.

The fact he is still here is largely down to his personality. Thoroughly nice man, therefore liked.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not making any comment about them as players, simply how successful the transfer turned out to be

Veron was a clear flop and it wasn't due to injury - English football simply didnt suit him

Whereas I don't think of Berba or Mata as flops, both were hit and miss but both had enough good moment to be remembered in a positive light for United

And if we are talking.about value then the Mata transfer was not on the record breaking levels of Veron or Berba anyway so expectation level is not the same
Fair enough mate. For some reason I remember Veron more fondly.

jem

Probably my two favourites players ever, more for style and personality than on-field results. Neither was/has been a flop, but it's hard to argue that both met expectations. I don't why this place has to be so extreme in its verdicts. For me, a flop is Alexis Sanchez or Falcao, or perhaps Memphis Depay. Berbatov and Mata? Not even close, in my opinion.

jem

For me yes. Mata symbolises the below average performance of the last 6 years.

We signed him from Chelsea, at a time when he was a regular scorer and assist maker. He was deemed not physical enough for a Mourinho who also allowed Salah and KdB to leave.

Mata was a huge expense at 45m. Despite some ok periods he has largely been unable to contribute, not skilful enough to be a diminutive, elusive 10 like Silva. Not powerful enough to play wide. Generally he has never looked like a top tier player, certainly not like a Man United player. Made me think his Chelsea form was a purple patch, he never did anything close to those numbers for us.

The fact he is still here is largely down to his personality. Thoroughly nice man, therefore liked.
But you could pretty much copy and paste that for every high-profile transfer post-Fergie: Mata; Di Maria; Falcao (not a transfer but still); Depay; Mhkitaryen; Pogba (to a certain extent); Sanchez; Fred (although recent signs are encouraging.) When that consistently happens, just maybe the fault does not lie solely with the player.